the D4x is coming.

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions
Park Kultry New Member • Posts: 14
Re: the D4x is coming.

Tomorrow will be here.

adventure_photo
adventure_photo Contributing Member • Posts: 813

I believe ithe rumored Canon sensor is a stacked sensor though so not quite a real 75 MP image. It uses 25 MP x 3 color channels(RGB) to achieve 75 MP similar to a Foveon sensor. Great for marketing though!

adventure_photo's gear list:adventure_photo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
rubank Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Is there a market for it?

Square sensor would mean a totally new system, a lot of FF lenses won´t work with a square (36x36 mm) sensor because they actually don´t give an image "circle".

It would also mean a new shutter mechanism and much higher production costs for the sensor (less sensors per wafer), to say nothing of the need to get rid of the OVF.

And who wants to look at square pictures? You´d always be cropping, i.e. wasting pixels. Very high priced pixels.

A very bad idea, IMO.

BackPacker1532 Regular Member • Posts: 192

Until it actually arrives I shall stick with my trusty D3 and not speculate on what it might or might not have or what it might, or might not do better than D ..........??

BackPacker1532's gear list:BackPacker1532's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L320 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3 Nikon D850 +6 more
Andre Affleck Senior Member • Posts: 2,362

rubank wrote:

Square sensor would mean a totally new system, a lot of FF lenses won´t work with a square (36x36 mm) sensor because they actually don´t give an image "circle".

What makes you think they won't give an image "circle"? They all have symetrical circular elements and no baffles (at least mine don't). Have you ever held an open lens and projected it's image on a piece of paper? Try it.

What a square sensor will do is increase corner softness and vignetting because the corners would go deeper into the inferior outermost regions.

PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453

rubank wrote:

And who wants to look at square pictures? You´d always be cropping, i.e. wasting pixels. Very high priced pixels.

Ever hear of Hasselblad?

Duckysaurus
Duckysaurus Forum Member • Posts: 50
Seriously, a D4S/X or D5 would look like this:

If the D4S/X has the following specs, it would already be considered a big upgrade over the current D4, and still be a trophy camera:

- EXPEED4 dual processor with more focus points spread across a larger portion of the screen, with 9/12 tracking focus (central point with a few around it tracking subject in viewfinder), and improved focus speeds (currently the 1DX focuses nearly 3 times as fast if it's not in very low light, so if the EXPEED4 x2 processor can focus faster, etc... then you're going to have a lot more former Nikon lovers switch back to Nikon).

- Increase of dynamic range past the D800 to say, 15 EV

- 24-26 MP with 1.5 or more stop noise improvement

- Boost to 13-16 FPS with slight increase in buffer

- Dual XQD card slots

- Better screen resolution for the back screen

- Bring back the C/S/M focus button in the front (or not, but I prefer it!)

- USB 3+ connection speeds with a port that can be upgraded to USB 4/5... etc. (removable) instead of USB 2.

If it had all the features above... I'm sure it'll sell quite easily for $7,500 tag. Likely be sold out for the first couple of months.

People who can and would spend a couple thousand would likely be higher-end professionals shooting sports, high-ISO scenes, or high-end events. Need to cater to them, not the megapixel hungry folks. If someone wanted huge 36 MP format size and high FPS, they could just get several D800s on CH mode and just remote them a split second apart.

A body with the specs above would just clearly end the debates among some users between the D4 and 1DX. Then again, it might be just called the D5.

-- hide signature --

Looking to second shoot  weddings for a pro in NYC! http://peterou.com

Duckysaurus's gear list:Duckysaurus's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D610 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +7 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,684

rubank wrote:

It would also mean a new shutter mechanism and much higher production costs for the sensor (less sensors per wafer), to say nothing of the need to get rid of the OVF.

A very bad idea, IMO.

To fit in the image circle a square sensor would have to be smaller (around 30.6 x 30.6mm)

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6

I didn´t say "all" lenses, and a lot of lenses do have baffles.

But if it makes you happy I can retract that argument; square sensors are a bad idea all the same

PatFahey wrote:

rubank wrote:

Ever hear of Hasselblad?

They have rectangular sensors....(film is dead, you know)

inasir1971 wrote:

rubank wrote:

A very bad idea, IMO.

To fit in the image circle a square sensor would have to be smaller (around 30.6 x 30.6mm)

Yes of course, you´re right.
It does not alter the arguments, though.

PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453

rubank wrote:

PatFahey wrote:

rubank wrote:

Ever hear of Hasselblad?

They have rectangular sensors....(film is dead, you know)

Of course I was referring to the -- metal -- V "system" models, not the recent plastic ones.

"Film is dead" may be a bit short-sighted.  Although I will agree that these days digital is usually good enough for most applications.

-Pat

blueandwhite Junior Member • Posts: 32

How well did the current D4 sell?

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224

rhlpetrus wrote:

I doubt it, unless Nikon wants to keep the crown of the heaviest, highest pixeled, most expensive camera on the market that they used to have in the D3x.

I know a couple of people who have and love the D3X  - but they are making a lot of money frpm their photography. I'm pretty sure they would buy a D4X

Nikon must have a pretty good idea of the specialized market for such a camera

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +15 more
Re: D4x

Boheme wrote:

What about a square-sensor?

That would be a sensation.

Michael

Well at least it wouldn't need a built in vertical grip.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +15 more

PatFahey wrote:

rubank wrote:

Ever hear of Hasselblad?

Yes I still have a 500 c/m. - and had a Rollei TLR as well

On those cameras the square format eliminated the need for a large, heavy eye level prism if you used the folding waist level finder.

I like the square format too - but the reality is most people prefer the majority of their photos rectangualar.

Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

blueandwhite wrote:

How well did the current D4 sell?

I don't have actual figure but should be slow as you can easily get it @ around $5100 now.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,859
A month and no rumors

No consistent rumors yet, including NR, I'm doubting there will be anything in the dslr front coming soon. Maybe mid-September.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more

CFynn wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I doubt it, unless Nikon wants to keep the crown of the heaviest, highest pixeled, most expensive camera on the market that they used to have in the D3x.

I know a couple of people who have and love the D3X - but they are making a lot of money frpm their photography. I'm pretty sure they would buy a D4X

A couple is a good guess

Well, if it's just as simple as putting a D800's sensor on a D4's body, why not?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
And charging 8,000 ...

rhlpetrus wrote:

CFynn wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I know a couple of people who have and love the D3X - but they are making a lot of money frpm their photography. I'm pretty sure they would buy a D4X

A couple is a good guess

Well, if it's just as simple as putting a D800's sensor on a D4's body, why not?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads