the D4x is coming.

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Bingham
OP Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,818
Re: curious what would it offer over D800

Call it what you will. No biggie. But it will be designed as a "better" D4. And yes, serious sports shooters want more than the D4 - at least the ones I know. You know any, personally? Keep laughing . . . and get ready to pay some serious $$$$ if you want one. Like I said . . . oh, never mind.

Josh152 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Mp isn't everything. Dynamic range, fps, and less noise at high ISO are extremely important to serious PJ and sports shooters. This will NOT be an mp race.

CFynn wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

I highly doubt more pixels.

There are rumors that Canon is currently testing a high resolution 75MP Canon pro body DSLR camera that will be announced later this year. If these rumours are true, it seems likely that the D4x would have at least 50mp

LOL serious PJ and sports shooters already have the D4 and 1DX that does all that. Nikon and Canon are not going to make another model that does the same thing to sell along side it. Further as has already been pointed out to you Nikon has always made the single digit X cameras for the high res shooters not the sports guys. There is no way the D4X is going to be anything other than the full, integrated grip, pro bodied High megapixel studio/landscape camera if it exists. That is the only spot in the line up that still hasn't been replaced with a new model. The D4X will be the replacement for the D3X not the D4 or D3S as that would make absolutely no sense what so ever.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +22 more
Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: curious what would it offer over D800

Steve Bingham wrote:

Call it what you will. No biggie. But it will be designed as a "better" D4. And yes, serious sports shooters want more than the D4 - at least the ones I know. You know any, personally? Keep laughing . . . and get ready to pay some serious $$$$ if you want one. Like I said . . . oh, never mind.

Josh152 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Mp isn't everything. Dynamic range, fps, and less noise at high ISO are extremely important to serious PJ and sports shooters. This will NOT be an mp race.

CFynn wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

I highly doubt more pixels.

There are rumors that Canon is currently testing a high resolution 75MP Canon pro body DSLR camera that will be announced later this year. If these rumours are true, it seems likely that the D4x would have at least 50mp

LOL serious PJ and sports shooters already have the D4 and 1DX that does all that. Nikon and Canon are not going to make another model that does the same thing to sell along side it. Further as has already been pointed out to you Nikon has always made the single digit X cameras for the high res shooters not the sports guys. There is no way the D4X is going to be anything other than the full, integrated grip, pro bodied High megapixel studio/landscape camera if it exists. That is the only spot in the line up that still hasn't been replaced with a new model. The D4X will be the replacement for the D3X not the D4 or D3S as that would make absolutely no sense what so ever.

Nikon may very well give sports shooters a D4 replacement but it wont be the D4X.  If they do replace the D4 it will either be with a D4S or a D5 not a D4X. The D4X if it comes will not be a sports camera as that would go against Nikon's long history of naming conventions for their single digit pro models. If you look at Nikon's previous release dates the S version of the single digital cameras usually come out around two years after the regular version so This fall/winter would fit that schedule. Then and the X version usually come out around a year latter so at this point it could go either way.

Duckysaurus
Duckysaurus Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: the D4x is coming.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Well, it's out there but Nikon has very serious NDAs. Most likely a 36 mp with 6 fps, etc. Most folks are happy with the D800 but there are a lot of pros out there waiting for THE journalism and sports camera that need the 36 mp at a full 6 (maybe 8 cropped) fps. Probably bump to 12,800 ISO with same lack of noise and no AA filter. (I think Nikon has another way so video isn't so susceptible to moire.) Expect the D3x to drop even more. Yes, it's a "rumor", but some rumors are more valid yhan others.

More likely to be a 22-26 MP with same 9-15 FPS (RAW-JPEG) on the EXPEED 4 (maybe dual-core). If it's 36MP with 6 FPS, might as well just have two D800s on CH mode next to each other shooting a split second apart for similar price (only drawback would be two lenses, but you'll have 2 bodies instead of one). Just illogical.

If it's 36MP, there's really no way to increase the pixel sizes to reduce the noise in higher ISOs.

-- hide signature --

Looking to second shoot for a pro in NYC!

Duckysaurus's gear list:Duckysaurus's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +7 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,429

Really Steve?

Than it's a pretty small camera!

Steve Bingham wrote:

Information about the D4x should be leaked in the next week or two. Stay tuned. My guess is that you will be able to buy one this fall.

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Steve Bingham

Hi Michel! Granted the small ones will come first.

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Information about the D4x should be leaked in the next week or two. Stay tuned. My guess is that you will be able to buy one this fall.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +22 more
stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Looking very similar to what people expect as D400...

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum
I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,429

stany buyle wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Looking very similar to what people expect as D400...

Steve Bingham wrote:

Hi Stany,

That might be. But there is a NDA, even to mention that new products exist Is not allowed.

however. I'm a bit surprised that Nikonrumors is not yet informed already.

Michel

-- hide signature --

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

M Lammerse wrote:

stany buyle wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Hi Stany,

That might be. But there is a NDA, even to mention that new products exist Is not allowed.

Michel

Hi Michel,

Nikon Rumors posted information several weeks ago about a possible D400 announcement, with an NR rating of 60%. He has yet to receive spec information other than a possible announcement in either August or September....more likely the latter.

Are you willing to help fill in some of the missing pieces anonymously?

Reginald

ebsilon Contributing Member • Posts: 628

reginalddwight wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

stany buyle wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Hi Stany,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Nikon Rumors posted information several weeks ago about a possible D400 announcement, with an NR rating of 60%. He has yet to receive spec information other than a possible announcement in either August or September....more likely the latter.

Are you willing to help fill in some of the missing pieces anonymously?

Reginald

With Michel Lammerse saying as much as he has without outright stating that the D400 will come, I think we can safely rise that rumor rating  to 95%.

-- hide signature --

------- Eirik ----------
Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

Duckysaurus wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Well, it's out there but Nikon has very serious NDAs. Most likely a 36 mp with 6 fps, etc. Most folks are happy with the D800 but there are a lot of pros out there waiting for THE journalism and sports camera that need the 36 mp at a full 6 (maybe 8 cropped) fps. Probably bump to 12,800 ISO with same lack of noise and no AA filter. (I think Nikon has another way so video isn't so susceptible to moire.) Expect the D3x to drop even more. Yes, it's a "rumor", but some rumors are more valid yhan others.

More likely to be a 22-26 MP with same 9-15 FPS (RAW-JPEG) on the EXPEED 4 (maybe dual-core). If it's 36MP with 6 FPS, might as well just have two D800s on CH mode next to each other shooting a split second apart for similar price (only drawback would be two lenses, but you'll have 2 bodies instead of one). Just illogical.

If it's 36MP, there's really no way to increase the pixel sizes to reduce the noise in higher ISOs.

that is likely close to the spec of the D4S will be and it is about two years after the release of the base camera that the S version comes out so maybe the camera that is coming is not a D4X at all but instead the D4S is what's coming, then again it is usually after a year or so that the X version comes out so it could go either way at this point IMO. What is certain is a camera with the specs you describe would not be called the D4X since the X version is always the high resolution, low fps camera.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,531

Josh152 wrote:

Duckysaurus wrote:

that is likely close to the spec of the D4S will be and it is about two years after the release of the base camera that the S version comes out so maybe the camera that is coming is not a D4X at all but instead the D4S is what's coming, then again it is usually after a year or so that the X version comes out so it could go either way at this point IMO. What is certain is a camera with the specs you describe would not be called the D4X since the X version is always the high resolution, low fps camera.

If history is any indicator, I don't recall Nikon ever releasing an S model that had more MP than the base model it replaces.  Is there an example I'm forgetting?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
xenter New Member • Posts: 1

I'm surprised to see some anticipate a upgraded D4. Nikon won't stab its customers in the back by releasing a upgraded D4 (D4s or whatever) so soon.
Remember this is about marketing, the D4x will be designed to not eat into the market of the D4.
The D800 holds the best sensor (in an "controlled environment"). But then again, not everyone enjoys a half plastic body with a built in flash when your used to something which fits perfectly in your hand.
So I personally think there's 2 ways it can go with the D4x;
1. It may just be a D800 with a pro body and dual card slots, however any rise in FPS will make it eat into the D4 market.
2. It will be something which D800 owners will be drooling over. But also for a 3x or higher price. And again, something which wont be competing with the D4.

RalphSmith New Member • Posts: 15

Every year when the Summer Olympics or Athletics World Championships comes due, Canon and Nikon rumors start flying....

michaeladawson wrote:

Josh152 wrote:

Duckysaurus wrote:

If history is any indicator, I don't recall Nikon ever releasing an S model that had more MP than the base model it replaces. Is there an example I'm forgetting?

Nope.  Note that I said CLOSE to the spec of the D4S.

Zebra Kid Junior Member • Posts: 49
Wait for the world athletics champions meeting next week.

Sorry I can't talk about the D4x/D400/V3 nor an interchangeable lens Android HD4K 24MP smart phone. I'm under NDA. Wait for the world athletics champions meeting next week.

Boheme New Member • Posts: 23
D4x

What about a square-sensor?

That would be a sensation.

Michael

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,823
You two

Steve Bingham wrote:

Hi Michel! Granted the small ones will come first.

M Lammerse wrote:

Really Steve?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Spill the beans on the small ones ...

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,823
Is there a market for it?

I doubt it, unless Nikon wants to keep the crown of the heaviest, highest pixeled, most expensive camera on the market that they used to have in the D3x.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453
Now you're talking.

Boheme wrote:

What about a square-sensor?

That would be a sensation.

Michael

Absolutely!

All we have to do is to get rid of that pesky mirror.  Then all of a sudden a square sensor (which makes much better use of the lens' image circle) becomes a no-brainer.

Works for me.  The sooner the better.

-Pat

Steve Bingham
Re: Is there a market for it?

Square? Love it, but it ain't happening!!!!!!!!!!! At least not in the next 12 months.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads