X100s or X-E1

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Questions
Jonccooper New Member • Posts: 11
Re: X100s or X-E1

Ive not done much raw conversion but i have found that my version of elements doesn't support x100s raw files,, so I downloaded Adobe raw which does, but which introduces another step in the process: raw to dng to jpg. I do extensive post processing with my D300 images but I am enjoying the directness and simplicity of a relatively small camera with a fixed lens which is capable of taking beautiful images without all the fuss of pp. I'm taking most photos in full manual in b&w as jpgs and no pp and loving it

Jonccooper's gear list:Jonccooper's gear list
Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

When I bought an X100 about 2 1/2 years ago I was a died in the wool Nikon shooter of 40 years. During my first year with the X100 I found it was the only camera I was using and my keeper rate had increased. As much to do with the fact the camera was with me all the time as the camera's excellent IQ.

However, I travel a lot and found the 35 eq a bit confining. So I sold off all the Nikon gear and bought an XE-1 +35+18-55. I've had it a year and I still find myself going to the X100 all the time (better carry, smaller package). So I forced myself to do the current 3 month trip with only the XE-1. Within a week I bought the XF18 (size and focal).

One of the initial comments was buy a cheapo cam with a 35 eq and see how you like it. Good suggestion.

Jonccooper New Member • Posts: 11

is that likely to be an issue when the lens isn't removable?

Jonccooper's gear list:Jonccooper's gear list
Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
NJOW Forum Member • Posts: 66

My experience is that I have a DSLR which I like using...I bought a X100s as a side/walkaround camera. Absolutely loved it...bought an x-e1 off the back of that experience. Found that my DSLR was rarely being taken out except for some of the more important occasions.

Wasn't quite ready to ditch the DSLR kit, since for me the X system isn't quite ready for prime time - but I can easily see it becoming so. Couldn't quite justify the GAS and reluctantly sold the X100s (because they were still very hard to source at that point, didn't really lose anything on it)

For the me the X100s is a superb camera but not as good value as an XE-1, particularly the kit deal and the lens rebate offers Fuji does often. The X-E1 kit cost me about 3/4 of the X100s. Because lenses generally hold their value better than camera bodies, it seemed like a sensible way to go...perhaps I'll feel flush and buy a X200 (X100sn? whatever) when the next one comes along, or buy the current one for half the price. Because the X-E1 body was comparatively so cheap, it made sense to me and if I want to upgrade the body, I haven't lost out much.

The X100s is a lovely, lovely camera, and I'm sure you won't regret the purchase (and I miss in particular the high flash sync speed from the leaf shutter). But just my two cents.

bjmike Contributing Member • Posts: 579

My backup camera is a Leica DL6.  It's a fine camera and small enough to carry around all the time (if I don't always attach the bulky EVF).  Still, it's not in any way comparable to the XE! (or to my older & now sold Panny GX1 w/5 lenses.  The resolution, versatility, IQ, and so on were better by quite a bit w/the GX1; the Fuji XE1 is a big improvement over that, let alone the DL6 (which itself is an improvement over the Leica DL$).

The FujiX100S would have better IQ than either of the Leicas, but be less versatile (i.e., fixed lens), but also considerably bigger. The XE! is a sorta gateway into a much larger system and, depending on what you want to use it for, can be a pro-level tool.

At least that's the way I look at it.

bjmike's gear list:bjmike's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
Re: 35 is as versatile as you make it

Sorry, but that's not true.  I have & love my 35mm Fuji lens. It's really woprld class.  Of course, I can shoot portraits with it, but forget about doing real portraiture with it.  The optical physics of the lens just distorts a face too much elongating it) just as a long telephoto will flatten a face.

If you think you can use a ~50mm lens for professional portraiture, go try to do so.  None of your potential clients will accept the result.  If you're shooting photos of your kids, the requirements are less stringent.

It's why short tele are what are used for portraits in-studio. If you think that's not true, give us all an example of a pro who does portraits w/a lens of that focal length.

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
X100 vs. X100s or X-E1

The purist answer here is the X100.  It does not have the disliked IQ issues of the S.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Apple iPhone X
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,347

bjmike wrote:

Sorry, but that's not true. I have & love my 35mm Fuji lens. It's really woprld class. Of course, I can shoot portraits with it, but forget about doing real portraiture with it. The optical physics of the lens just distorts a face too much elongating it) just as a long telephoto will flatten a face.

If you think you can use a ~50mm lens for professional portraiture, go try to do so. None of your potential clients will accept the result. If you're shooting photos of your kids, the requirements are less stringent.

It's why short tele are what are used for portraits in-studio. If you think that's not true, give us all an example of a pro who does portraits w/a lens of that focal length.

You're 100% correct but most people on these forums will disagree with you (and me).

Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,771

Size or flexibility - that is really the choice.

If you don't use VF - then wait for the new X-M1 or even the rumoured X-A1 - will be even cheaper but no VF and a little bigger size until the pancake lenses come out.

bgbs wrote:

It is devastating to choose between these two cameras. X100s seems to be the dream cam, but I'm afraid about the prime built in lens. It seems like a limitation for average photography work. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

X-E1 on the other hand allows for interchangeable lenses, but why is it $200 less? Is it because the sensor is worse?

Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,771

Or just get both - the older X100 is going for about 500-600 used or about half the price of the X100s. People are just dumping them and going for newer models.

The X-E1 will most likely drop in price again when the X-M1 and X-A1 reaches the stores. Wait a bit and I am sure there will be more deals to be had.

Also have a look at the GR as an option to the X100 - approx. 28mm F2.8 lens - same sensor size as the X100.

Canadianguy wrote:

Size or flexibility - that is really the choice.

If you don't use VF - then wait for the new X-M1 or even the rumoured X-A1 - will be even cheaper but no VF and a little bigger size until the pancake lenses come out.

bgbs wrote:

It is devastating to choose between these two cameras. X100s seems to be the dream cam, but I'm afraid about the prime built in lens. It seems like a limitation for average photography work. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

X-E1 on the other hand allows for interchangeable lenses, but why is it $200 less? Is it because the sensor is worse?

ChicagoRob
ChicagoRob Regular Member • Posts: 397

Jonccooper wrote:

is that likely to be an issue when the lens isn't removable?

It can potentially be an issue, regardless of the manufacturer. If it's new and there is dust on the sensor, it can be exchanged. If it's out-of-warranty, then you're up the creek without a paddle. Not a slam on the X100s, just my preference for cameras with sensors that can be cleaned by the owner/user.

Rob

Charlesn Regular Member • Posts: 467

heinerpattaya wrote:

As I don't want the kit zooms lens but the 18mm one I have to buy the body and the lens sep. for nearly 1 500 $ although the kit lens is 90 $ more expensive than the 18 mm bought without body.

Does anybody know where I can buy the body + 18mm for a reasonable price?

Why so intent on the 18 prime? Many published tests show the "kit" lens at 18mm to be equal to or better than the prime. Yes, the prime gives you a faster aperture, but the kit gives you a 3-4 stop advantage with image stabilzation, which the prime lacks.

As anyone who owns the Fuji 18-55 "kit" lens would tell you... you need to stop thinking about it as a "kit" lens, a designation that does not do justice at all to its build quality and IQ.

ADSinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,707

bjmike wrote:

My backup camera is a Leica DL6. It's a fine camera and small enough to carry around all the time (if I don't always attach the bulky EVF). Still, it's not in any way comparable to the XE! (or to my older & now sold Panny GX1 w/5 lenses. The resolution, versatility, IQ, and so on were better by quite a bit w/the GX1; the Fuji XE1 is a big improvement over that, let alone the DL6 (which itself is an improvement over the Leica DL$).

The FujiX100S would have better IQ than either of the Leicas, but be less versatile (i.e., fixed lens), but also considerably bigger. The XE! is a sorta gateway into a much larger system and, depending on what you want to use it for, can be a pro-level tool.

At least that's the way I look at it.

-

Logically you are correct of course. I was in no way comparing the cameras size or IQ. Simply that when not wanting to carry my two mft bodies an half dozen lenses, I fall back to my Leica. That has been my camera of choice when wanting to travel light yet still be able to capture a decent picture. I see the Fuji x100S as its replacement, not on a feature by feature basis but as an easily carried, better picture making machine.

As you say the XE-1 is a gateway camera to the X-system. At this time I'm still using the mft system, the X100S is an addition not a replacement. Heck, I'll undoubtedly keep the DL4 as really love that little thing. Even if it doesn't see much use.

Alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
Davidgilmour Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

bjmike wrote:

Sorry, but that's not true. I have & love my 35mm Fuji lens. It's really woprld class. Of course, I can shoot portraits with it, but forget about doing real portraiture with it. The optical physics of the lens just distorts a face too much elongating it) just as a long telephoto will flatten a face.

so, the poortraits that have been shot with the 35mm are crap?

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

bjmike wrote:

VF's aside, as a long-term camera, the XE1 will be loads more versatile. The X100S is, essentially, a 1 trick pony. Great for street photo-ing, landscape, and so on. Forget portraiture, wildlife, anything requiring any telephoto reach at all. The XE1, without the OVF, has a growing number of first class native lenses. The more lenses, the more you can do with the camera.

Perhaps you're a Pro. Don't know I think you miss the simple fact that most of us don't see ourselves as an extension of the camera. We see the camera as an extension of ourselves. Amateur photographers don't need to run around compiling images of soap boxes and brides, we can do whatever we want.

If what you can do with a camera is limited to "The more lenses, the more you can do with the camera.", you're missing out on most of photography.

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,815

I am one of those who sold x100 for x100s. The x100 worked reliably and dependably, but my x100s broke in less than two months. I should keep my x100.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more

I do the same.  My back up, travel light camera is a Leica DL6.  I really like it, altho I recognize its limitations.  I sold my m4/3 body and 5 lenses in June & bought the XE1. Much better IQ, largely due to the lack of AA filter & wonderful Fuji colors.

I dunno.  Depends on the photo itself.  And it depends on what you're trying to do.  BUT: if you're trying to do do real portrait photography, no photography pro would use a ~35mm equiv. lens.

Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion.  You can take photos & have fun & be creative with anything that makes pictures.  If you're skilled, they'll probably turn out pretty well. That still doesn't change the physics of lenses (i.e., optics) the effects on perspective, and the optimum use of different focal lengths.

I think that's right.  If you have the 18-55mm, it might make the 18mm a bit redundant. Would you say the same about the 35mm?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads