>>>>>The Weekly Close Up 7/12/13<<<<<

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Photos
JiminDenver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,190
>>>>>The Weekly Close Up 7/12/13<<<<<

Welcome to the Weekly Close Up where men are men and bugs are subject to having their pictures taken.

I hope you all had a fun and safe holiday. Thank you Brad for covering for me, it looks like you had a great week.

So show me all of those great close ups you have. They don't have to be a bug or even macro. Here we explore the possibilities of the close up shot, not restrict them. We don't restrict the gear either, all brands are welcome.

Please post in response to this as I will, we don't want you to get lost in the threaded views.

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

JiminDenver's gear list:JiminDenver's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +14 more
OP JiminDenver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,190
Moth series

This little guy wasn't bothered by me at all, I should have gone back with the 35mm set up for some real close ups. lol

E 5, 50mm, EC 20, SRF-

Thanks for looking

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

JiminDenver's gear list:JiminDenver's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +14 more
carizi
carizi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,225
Re: Moth series

That's a great series, Jim.  Love the last capture.

-- hide signature --

Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
Ansel Adams

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,250
Oregon Grape

A shopping mall survivor, tougher than paint.

There's always a picture nearby, no matter where you are or how long you're waiting for someone.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Deepak Kaw
Deepak Kaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,121
With flash
 Deepak Kaw's gear list:Deepak Kaw's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T2 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +23 more
Drummer Forum Pro • Posts: 12,270
Jim

Nice series of shots Jim.  It's seems difficult to capture the eyes on a moth but you got them both!

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/bluesfish
http://www.dpreview.com/Galleries/7824292590/photos
If you can't make sense, go make nonsense. It's better than no sense at all.

Zin

I love the match of colors and the contrasting surfaces.  Smooth skined grapes against the courseness of flaking paint.  What a nice odd couple.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/bluesfish

Hungry Damsel and Perching Dragons

Finally made it out to the lakeside to find these local denizens. Shot with E510, 50-200, ec14, and tripod. 1st shot with 50-200 and 500D close-up lens.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/bluesfish

Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,250
Re: Moth series

Muted color is a perfect complement to soft, moth-y textures and light. The upside-down poses give this evocation of the bug genre a fresh look.  Thumbs up.

-- hide signature --

Zin

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 7,487
More Bugs

Had lots of close-ups this week – started thinking all I'd have to share was something like this fly.

E_30; Sigma 105mm macro: f/7.1@1/125sec; +0.7EV: ISO 400

But as the week went on I found a couple insects that are new to me here – The hummingbird moth that I was familiar with from CO but hadn't run across in N AL

E_30; Sigma 105mm macro: f/11@1/500sec; ISO 400

And this Click Beetle which, for the moment, I'll assume it to be an Eastern Eyed Click Beetle which my Audubon Manual says is prevalent east of the Rockies but not found in the SE – so maybe this one is lost or maybe you can give me a better identification. I hadn’t seen one before this

E_30; Sigma 105mm macro: f/8@1/1500 sec; -0.7EV: ISO 800

Finally the week ended with this Amber Fly

E_30; Sigma 105mm macro: f1/ 7.1@1/500 sec; -0.7EV: ISO 400

I thought I had some better pictures but none was more interesting to me than these... If the summer gets hotter and more humid I may stay indoors more and I may have to go back to the others another week...Thanks for stopping by...

patabi Regular Member • Posts: 294
Butterfly

With V1, 10-30 Hama close-up lens +2 no flash. Butterfly are too nervous for the 10-30, 30-110 is probably far better.

Amitiés

-- hide signature --
carizi
carizi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,225
Robber and a Flower

-- hide signature --

Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
Ansel Adams

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
WhyNot
Re: Robber and a Flower

Very nice Robber Fly..  Using the OLDOF calculator I'm guessing you're less than 12 inches away and that would make him a very contented fly who doesn't really want to move...  The rose is also nice and an interesting presentation...

WhyNot
Re: Oregon Grape

Very nice composition and color,,,

WhyNot
Re: Hungry Damsel and Perching Dragons

Nice series...I like the damsel!

Barr1e
Barr1e Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
Comma

Hi Jim -

Cropped just under a third off and took a small bud out.

This is a great thread your running with impressive images.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e's gear list:Barr1e's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,951
Re: Hungry Damsel and Perching Dragons

The first two are Aurora Damsel? I especially like the second, I am still trying to learn the different varieties , also a question, that 500D,  I have the EC14, it appears you do also, when would you choose the 500D, ?, on certain lenses?

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
mountain flowers - Olympic & Glacier NP

beargrass on the edge of the mountain - deep shade made a natural backdrop

columbine, also on an edge but no shade:(

don't know who this is, grew in abundance in rain forest alongside Lake Crescent

minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Oregon Grape

Nice photo, like the background in contrast to the plant, great colors. Frameworthy.

Brad

Brad Ross wrote:

The first two are Aurora Damsel? I especially like the second, I am still trying to learn the different varieties , also a question, that 500D, I have the EC14, it appears you do also, when would you choose the 500D, ?, on certain lenses?

Thanks for the ID. There are so many varieties it's hard to ID them positively. I was thinking a Bluet but then you may be right.

The 500D is advertised to be used on lenses with a focal length from 70 to 300mm. I use it on the 50-200 with step up ring usually full out and without the ec14. Just never had good success with that combo. I will use the 50-200 and 500D when I think I can get in close (~12"-16") to a subject like the feeding damsel. I've used the 250D with my C8080. It is advertised for lenses with a focal length from 30 to 135mm. That was perfect for that camera's 28-140mm lens. Either one, the D model means they have two achromatic elements that corrects CA.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/bluesfish

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads