D800 becomes rarely slow on occasion.

Started Jul 12, 2013 | Discussions
mibadt Senior Member • Posts: 1,134
D800 becomes rarely slow on occasion.

After several months of using the D800 (latest firmware) with a very fast CF card (Lexar pro 32GB  X1000 UDMA 7) I've noticed that rarely (say once in about 1000 shots) the camera takes very long (about 25 seconds!) to process  a single NEF shot and display it's preview on the rear screen. This usually happens to me after the camera has been idle for several minutes, and, naturally, its buffer is fully empty.

Has anybody else noticed something similar?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Michael Badt
Photos gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mibadt/

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ed Leonard Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: D800 becomes rarely slow on occasion.

I have had this happen while shooting JPEG files.  I don't have any idea why the camera chokes as it gives no other indication other than taking 10-15 seconds to show up on the lcd screen when set for image review.  This has happened twice in the past 150  - 200 shots and when shooting single images individually.  No multiple shots situation where the buffer might be full.  The D800 has the most current firmware and only approx 1k shots on it.  I am also interested in hearing from others on this happening.  Any additional insight would be helpful.. Thanks.  Ed

-- hide signature --

See it - shoot it - save it - share it...

AndreasBank Forum Member • Posts: 63

Same problem with my D800

Verry rarely the camera takes about 10-15sec to store the file. During this time the camere does not respond and the green LED is glowing green.

I shoot lossless compressed 14bit NEF that is storred on a 64GB CF card. Ther is a SD card available but configured as overflow storage. Firmware is the latest one.

It does not seam to have anything to do with the buffer since it happens (only?) in single shot scenarios.

AndreasBank's gear list:AndreasBank's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G +6 more
Geoffrey Rippingale Regular Member • Posts: 225

+1

Happens to me occasionally too!

-- hide signature --

Please see my gallery at: http://www.ashfordphotos.com

Geoffrey Rippingale's gear list:Geoffrey Rippingale's gear list
Nikon DL24-500 Panasonic GH5
zq17 Junior Member • Posts: 26

Same here. About once in 2k shots

zq17's gear list:zq17's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,969
Take out the SD card

AndreasBank wrote:

Same problem with my D800

Verry rarely the camera takes about 10-15sec to store the file. During this time the camere does not respond and the green LED is glowing green.

I shoot lossless compressed 14bit NEF that is storred on a 64GB CF card. Ther is a SD card available but configured as overflow storage. Firmware is the latest one.

It does not seam to have anything to do with the buffer since it happens (only?) in single shot scenarios.

Try a shoot without the SD card.  Does the problem go away?  There's a problem others have described where the green card access light is on and the hour glass is displayed for seconds at a time.  You can still take pictures, but not display them until the hour glass goes off.

It has been suggested that it's a hardware or firmware problem relating to the dual card slots, and if you have only one card inserted, it (apparently) doesn't happen.

I've had this problem too - always with the CF card in use and the SD as overflow, but I've not tried enough without the SD card to know if that makes the problem go away.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,390
Yes

It happens every now and then for no apparent reason. I shoot RAW going to the CF card, and jpegs going to the SD card.

It doesn't happen very often, which makes it difficult to detect a pattern of behaviour that might point to the cause it.

It's a nuisance when this happens in the middle of a shoot, as it usually does !

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Captain Hook
Captain Hook Senior Member • Posts: 2,129
known issue... :-(

There we go again...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51760897

BTW: Has anyone reported this 'feature' to Nikon service?

Re: known issue... :-(

Captain Hook wrote:

There we go again...

I have, but only recently.  No response, yet.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
OP mibadt Senior Member • Posts: 1,134
Re: known issue... :-(

Thanks all,

Just for the information, I also had an SDXC card as on overflow. Will try without second card.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Michael Badt
Photos gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mibadt/

jmiller1948
jmiller1948 Contributing Member • Posts: 927
Me too

I've had the same thing happen several times.  I'd hardly call it a problem but more just an inconvenience occasionally.  It always resolves itself with no action on my part.  It just takes several seconds to display the photo instead of being almost instantaneous.  A fix would be good, but I won't lose sleep over it!

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Nikon response

Simon Garrett wrote:

Captain Hook wrote:

There we go again...

I have, but only recently. No response, yet.

Response from Nikon:

1. The problem is fixed with firmware A 1.01 and B 1.02.  (I'm already using those, and the memory card problem fixed with that firmware relates to video.)
  2. Make sure you are using recommended cards as at https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53145  (Yes, I am.)
  3. If you still have a problem, send the camera back.  (Hardly worth it for an occasional problem.)

I've told them all this, and asked them to refer the problem upwards.  I also mentioned quite a few people talking of the same problem on this forum.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
Captain Hook
Captain Hook Senior Member • Posts: 2,129
Re: Nikon response

I'm using the latest firmware and it happens occasionally. I can't figure out a way to reproduce the issue.

I had this problem with the standard firmware (>1 year ago, when I bought the D800E) and with the latest firmware versions.

Yes, I'm also using recommended memory cards. BTW: it happens with large and small capacity memory cards, no difference.

Sending the camera back? Don't think so, because I can already imagine what Nikon service would say "sorry, no problem detected".

The Battery Regular Member • Posts: 195

+1

Using Lexar 1000x 32GB CF and a 64GB Sandisk extreme pro UHS-1 95Mb/s

Maybe happens one every 750-1000 shots that i can remember.  Once it happened and someone wanted to see the shot while it was thinking...

Slightly annoying given how awesome a camera it is.

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
tominrom Regular Member • Posts: 261

It has happened to me a couple times since I added the latest firmware.  Don't remember it happening before that.

CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Mine does this from time to time (it did it today at an outside shoot).  I run fast CF and SD cards with the cards operating in backup mode.

No big deal for me, the camera let's you keep on shooting and if you turn the camera off, you do not lose the image.  It seems to be a bus issue with the image review.

I bet if you turn off image review in the Playback menu it will not happen.  To review, you would just press the review button.  I will do this at my shoot tomorrow and see.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more

CraigBennett wrote:

Mine does this from time to time (it did it today at an outside shoot). I run fast CF and SD cards with the cards operating in backup mode.

No big deal for me, the camera let's you keep on shooting and if you turn the camera off, you do not lose the image. It seems to be a bus issue with the image review.

I bet if you turn off image review in the Playback menu it will not happen. To review, you would just press the review button. I will do this at my shoot tomorrow and see.

Same for me - and I normally keep image review off.  So I get the problem only if I press the image revew button (top left) when sometimes I just get the hour glass icon and card access light for 10-20 seconds.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
lordbeau Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Yes, happens from time to time. Pressing the shutter halfway seems to relieve it sometimes.

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,684

I get it too. I just switch off and on

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
jolsongoude
jolsongoude Forum Member • Posts: 69

Used to happen to me infrequently. It has not happened in a few months since I removed the SD card.

-- hide signature --

Jay Olson-Goude
Stockholm WI

jolsongoude's gear list:jolsongoude's gear list
Sony RX10 II Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads