Employee at a french metro station told me i can not take photos outside today

Started Jul 11, 2013 | Discussions
GRphotos
GRphotos Forum Member • Posts: 67
Employee at a french metro station told me i can not take photos outside today

OK so i was in the south of france visiting friends, i took the metro from capitol to the last station called balma groumout to catch a bus to Balma, this metro station is the final stop, i had to wait 17 mins before the bus came so i noticed people taking photos with their iphones and i decided to take some of my son with the DSLR.

out of no where comes this employee saying i am not allowed to take photos outside and demanded i show a authorization, i asked him if the girls at the station taking photos with iphones have one and he said he did not care, i have a dslr,he demanded my camera if i do not have a authorization, i put the camera in my bag and told him nope, we are outside, the only authorization i need is from the people if i plan to use the images commercially, remind you this is not on the metro property, even so i was told we can film at concerts and metro stations if outside, its only when filming children that it becomes sort of a legal lingo in france, outside as i understood, we can shoot anyone but need authorizations if a person's face is clearly singled out or the center of the image or simply the attracted of the image.

but is there nothing we can show to explain to some people that we have rights like iphone users to photograph outdoors, street photography?

-- hide signature --

5dmkiii, 24-105MM, Lexar 32 CF, Sandisk 64 SD, Cinematics rig

GRphotos's gear list:GRphotos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: Employee at a french metro station told me i can not take photos outside today

You should have taken his picture, it always seems to work for me, they quickly run and hide

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Great idea (nt)

Great idea!

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: Employee at a french metro station told me i can not take photos outside today

Sounds like he was trying to get a little summin offa you....

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Dan Marchant Veteran Member • Posts: 3,162

GRphotos wrote:

but is there nothing we can show to explain to some people that we have rights like iphone users to photograph outdoors, street photography?

How do you explain to a stupid person that they are being stupid - they are too stupid to understand.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
GRphotos
OP GRphotos Forum Member • Posts: 67

he was using intimidation, apparently he is related or knows a group of Moroccan minors (who knew mohamed murah)  who harassed a family last year and did not like it that they got photos of them with their iphones, the cops visited the train station and tracked down the families of the kids using those photos.

that is what i a starting to think

-- hide signature --

5dmkiii, 24-105MM, Lexar 32 CF, Sandisk 64 SD, Cinematics rig

GRphotos's gear list:GRphotos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
ludwik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417

Reason 11 why a smartphone is better than an DLSR.

A smartphone is discreet.   With a DSLR you draw unwanted attention to yourself !

ludwik123's gear list:ludwik123's gear list
Olympus C-765 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus SZ-16 iHS +7 more
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,439
What are the rules in France then?

GRphotos wrote:

told him ... the only authorization i need is from the people if i plan to use the images commercially

That's what I always thought

in france ... need authorizations if a person's face is clearly singled out or the center of the image or simply the attracted of the image.

Never heard of this. So is French law more strict than in other countries? Are there other countries that have similar rules?

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,575

You didnt need authorization according to French law.  This guy was an idiot.  Firing him is the best solution as he's too stupid to even be a mallcop.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads