Coolest 70D feature: remote live view shooting on cellphones

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Discussions
IceShot Regular Member • Posts: 135
Coolest 70D feature: remote live view shooting on cellphones

I am blown away that this feature is on the 6D/70D. This is why I wait for new technology, cool stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPlzeXi80A

Also all manuals (instructions, wifi, etc) for 70D are up on Canon's site.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,652
Re: Coolest 70D feature: remote live view shooting on cellphones

IceShot wrote:

I am blown away that this feature is on the 6D/70D. This is why I wait for new technology, cool stuff like this.

Sure beats having to tether to a laptop/desktop first, which is what I would have to to with my 7D.  I'm going to wait and see what the 7D II offers.  A slower frame rate and smaller buffer would be a downgrade.

SelSol
SelSol Regular Member • Posts: 199

Whilst quite cool, I really can't think of a time that I'd ever use it.

SelSol's gear list:SelSol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,696

IceShot wrote:

Unfortunately, this will not work in movie mode where it is really needed to use tablet as monitor. Pity.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Lajos Hajdu Senior Member • Posts: 1,590
What's the use?

Why are you blown away? Please name a few situations when this method helps you take better photos.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: What's the use?

Lajos Hajdu wrote:

Why are you blown away? Please name a few situations when this method helps you take better photos.

Up until now the only way to shoot remotely was via wired remote or the wifi grip that runs about $650 and that requires a laptop (I haven't seen anything that says the app works with this, but it very well might).

So, for any situation where you want to hold the camera low, high, or around obstacles this is a great solution. You don't need an articulating LCD, don't have to worry about bright lights making the screen hard to see, and you can put your camera on a pole if you want.

You can transfer files instantly to your phone. This is the closes thing we have to a 4G cellular smartcamera. Honestly, this is as close as I think we need to get. With all those random devices built into the camera the cost would go up as would complexity and repair cost, and repairability will go way down.

I'm not sure if they've made intervalometer functions available in the app, but I imagine if they don't someone else will.  It opens up a lot of possibilities.

hires Regular Member • Posts: 429

Bird photogtraphy.  Set up the camera aminig at the bird feeder and take pictures while you're eating breakfast.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

not something I'd ever likely use.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
atodzia Forum Member • Posts: 67

Are you sure about no remote wi-fi movie shooting using your cell phone? I was looking forward to  using that to shoot movies of birds in the back yard. What if the camera is set up in movie mode at the camera and you assign start/stop to the shutter button, like with the 5D Mark III. I'll have to look that up in the 70D manual if that is one of the customizable buttons on the camera.

atodzia's gear list:atodzia's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more

I found it - you can't shoot movies in wi-fi mode on page 251 of the manual. Big disappointment.

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more

Is there any way to start and stop movie recording without touching the start/stop button on the back of the camera? On my 5D Mark 3 I bought the extension cord for the wired electronic shutter button and can be up to 35 feet away from the camera. I hate the cord but it works.

Phil Stone Regular Member • Posts: 440

Mark,

There has been the DLSR Controller app for Android for a good while.  I have been using it with my 7D.  Needs to be tethered to the 7D but that's not a problem.  The app is function rich; check it out.

Mark B. wrote:

Sure beats having to tether to a laptop/desktop first, which is what I would have to to with my 7D. I'm going to wait and see what the 7D II offers. A slower frame rate and smaller buffer would be a downgrade.

-- hide signature --

Phil
----
7D, 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6, Metz 58AF2 flash
http://PhilStone.zenfolio.com/travel-photos
http://phil-stone.artistwebsites.com/

Phil Stone's gear list:Phil Stone's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more

SelSol wrote:

Whilst quite cool, I really can't think of a time that I'd ever use it.

That's fine, but it also doesn't mean it's useless for everyone.  Such a feature would be great in, say, a studio, where you might want to be 'unattached', so to speak, from the VF or even the liveview on the camera.  Remote shooting can also be handy for wildlife photography.

SelSol

There's nothing like getting down and in the thick of it for those action shots!

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
SelSol

Like I say, its quite cool (did I say its useless?) but I can't see me ever using it, its certainly a niche feature.

There are 2 problems with that.  I'm not ready to switch yet from my iPhone and all the apps that are already paid for.  The other is that it's tethered.  There are also tethered apps for the iPhone, but that defeats the purpose of having a wireless device.  I don't want the bother of having something else connected to the camera.

Phil Stone wrote:

Mark,

There has been the DLSR Controller app for Android for a good while. I have been using it with my 7D. Needs to be tethered to the 7D but that's not a problem. The app is function rich; check it out.

Mark B. wrote:

Sure beats having to tether to a laptop/desktop first, which is what I would have to to with my 7D. I'm going to wait and see what the 7D II offers. A slower frame rate and smaller buffer would be a downgrade.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
buffer raw is 15.

No text.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
OP IceShot Regular Member • Posts: 135

Lajos Hajdu wrote:

Why am I blown away? I get to control a DSLR, live view, focal point, focus, settings A/Tv/ISO, all from my cellphone. That's amazing.

Say I am at a wedding and want to set the camera up somewhere and leave it while I shoot with another camera and my cellphone at the same time.

rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 11,221

IceShot wrote:

Lajos Hajdu wrote:

Why am I blown away? I get to control a DSLR, live view, focal point, focus, settings A/Tv/ISO, all from my cellphone. That's amazing.

Say I am at a wedding and want to set the camera up somewhere and leave it while I shoot with another camera and my cellphone at the same time.

a complete remote second shooter if you set it up well enough.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,696

atodzia wrote:

Is there any way to start and stop movie recording without touching the start/stop button on the back of the camera? On my 5D Mark 3 I bought the extension cord for the wired electronic shutter button and can be up to 35 feet away from the camera. I hate the cord but it works.

You can buy a cheap wireless remore from Canon, butnit only works from a few feet away. I use one for all time exposures.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads