IS of prime 14 and 20mm lens

Started Jul 10, 2013 | Questions
Phillip Tornero Contributing Member • Posts: 601
IS of prime 14 and 20mm lens

Hello all. My question to the forum is this, It has been stated that neither the Panasonic prime 20mm or 14mm prime use IS. My quick question to you all is this: will the Panasonic body add the needed IS or are these lenses manual focus only? Thank you all for your answers. Im thinking the camera body will compensate IS for the lenses, but I could be mistaken.

Phillip Tornero's gear list:Phillip Tornero's gear list
Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,811
Re: IS of prime 14 and 20mm lens

They are Auto-Focus lenses, but not image stabilized; no real need for such wide lenses.

Panasonic bodies do not add IS; if there it's in the lenses.  But, again, no need for these lenses.

Olympus bodies do include IS (called IBIS).

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV
shihhan Regular Member • Posts: 307

Phillip Tornero wrote:

Hello all. My question to the forum is this, It has been stated that neither the Panasonic prime 20mm or 14mm prime use IS. My quick question to you all is this: will the Panasonic body add the needed IS or are these lenses manual focus only? Thank you all for your answers. Im thinking the camera body will compensate IS for the lenses, but I could be mistaken.

Panasonic bodies do not have IBIS (unlike Olympus bodies).
Most primes do not have OIS (except the PL 45 f2.8 macro).

Any lens on Oly = stabilised (due to IBIS)
Most Primes on Panny = unstabilised

That being said, IS has kinda been overhyped... it isn't really needed for short focal length primes, and can't really make up for fast glass anyway.

(+ back in the old days of manual focus, no one had IS, even on massive focal lengths)

RaymondR
RaymondR Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

While I would generally agree that IS is of limited utility for wide angle lenses (and I question whether the 20mm is a wide angle lens in the m4/3 world) and has generally been over hyped, as an Oly PEN owner that has both of these lenses, I will dissent from the view that there is NO need for IS on these lenses -- having stabilization can be helpful on both the 14 and 20 when shooting handheld in low light with longer shutter speeds.  Don't want to start an Oly vs. Panny flame war, but this is one advantage of the Oly bodies over the Panny bodies. I have some slow shutter speed museum shots taken with the 20 that I am pretty sure would have been noticeably less sharp with the Oly IBIS.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a5000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
ntsan Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Upcoming Panasonic GX successor is rumored to have IBIS

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic GH5S Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +9 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,541

Phillip Tornero wrote:

Hello all. My question to the forum is this, It has been stated that neither the Panasonic prime 20mm or 14mm prime use IS. My quick question to you all is this: will the Panasonic body add the needed IS, or are these lenses manual focus only?

Needed IS? Seriously?

They're auto-focus pancake primes.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,895

RaymondR wrote:

While I would generally agree that IS is of limited utility for wide angle lenses (and I question whether the 20mm is a wide angle lens in the m4/3 world) and has generally been over hyped, as an Oly PEN owner that has both of these lenses, I will dissent from the view that there is NO need for IS on these lenses -- having stabilization can be helpful on both the 14 and 20 when shooting handheld in low light with longer shutter speeds. Don't want to start an Oly vs. Panny flame war, but this is one advantage of the Oly bodies over the Panny bodies. I have some slow shutter speed museum shots taken with the 20 that I am pretty sure would have been noticeably less sharp with the Oly IBIS.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

I'd go a step further. IS is never 'needed'--it's always something that enables you to take shots at slower shutter speeds than you would without it. It's always subject to the constraint that the subject not be moving.

Given this constraint, IS is a relative advantage that works just as much for WA lenses than telephoto lenses. If you can hand-hold your 14mm at 1/16 of a second without IS, then you should be able to hand-hold that lens at 1/2 of a second with it (assuming 3 stops of stabilization). For certain shooting conditions, that advantage may make the difference between getting a shot and not getting it. I frequently take pictures in low light, and I find IBIS invaluable when shooting with the 12mm, 14mm, and 20mm lenses.

So please don't think that IS is less effective with shorter lenses; it's just that for many shooting situations, there's no need to go down to the types of shutter speeds that would make it necessary. For other situations--like the museum example RanmondR posted above--IS might be the only way to get the shot without a tripod.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,347

The way the original post is phrased almost sounds like he got AF mixed up with IS...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +31 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

shihhan wrote:

Phillip Tornero wrote:

Panasonic bodies do not have IBIS (unlike Olympus bodies).
Most primes do not have OIS (except the PL 45 f2.8 macro).

Any lens on Oly = stabilised (due to IBIS)
Most Primes on Panny = unstabilised

That being said, IS has kinda been overhyped... it isn't really needed for short focal length primes,

What is your defintion of "needed"? I often shoot shorter FLs at shutter speeds such that IS is required to have decent chances of a sharp shot (when a tripod is inconvenient, too time-consuming, or not permitted).

and can't really make up for fast glass anyway.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes IS works when a faster lens would not (depending on what DoF you need).

(+ back in the old days of manual focus, no one had IS, even on massive focal lengths)

So what?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads