1Dx Prism specks - an $800 repair

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
1Dx Prism specks - an $800 repair

A short time ago I began to notice little black specks appearing in my 1DX viewfinder. This was right around the same time as the service advisory for the drive mechanism lube issue. I took my 1Dx to Canon Canada for the recall and asked them to clean the vf specks while it was there. They responded by saying that it needs a new prism assembly, and that this is not covered under warranty. The service would cost $506 + $299. I declined the service for now.

So now I have the camera back, and there are even more specks developing every day. I've never seen this on any camera in 12 years. I'm wondering how anything could even make it's way up there, let alone continue to accumulate...

I'm beginning to believe this is something happening from the camera itself, and not related to my use of it. Has anyone ever experienced this with any slr, or particularly the 1Dx?

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: 1Dx Prism specks - an $800 repair

XeroJay wrote:

A short time ago I began to notice little black specks appearing in my 1DX viewfinder. This was right around the same time as the service advisory for the drive mechanism lube issue. I took my 1Dx to Canon Canada for the recall and asked them to clean the vf specks while it was there. They responded by saying that it needs a new prism assembly, and that this is not covered under warranty. The service would cost $506 + $299. I declined the service for now.

So now I have the camera back, and there are even more specks developing every day. I've never seen this on any camera in 12 years. I'm wondering how anything could even make it's way up there, let alone continue to accumulate...

I'm beginning to believe this is something happening from the camera itself, and not related to my use of it. Has anyone ever experienced this with any slr, or particularly the 1Dx?

Get the entire thing repaired under the limited recall notice where there was a lack of lube, etc and as such excess wear/tear, etc.  Most likely the specks you can argue are from that same issue and you can get the whole thing repaired gratis.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
XeroJay
OP XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,836

Timbukto wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Get the entire thing repaired under the limited recall notice where there was a lack of lube, etc and as such excess wear/tear, etc. Most likely the specks you can argue are from that same issue and you can get the whole thing repaired gratis.

That's exactly what I did; they said it wasn't related to the recall, and not covered under warranty.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

XeroJay wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Get the entire thing repaired under the limited recall notice where there was a lack of lube, etc and as such excess wear/tear, etc. Most likely the specks you can argue are from that same issue and you can get the whole thing repaired gratis.

That's exactly what I did; they said it wasn't related to the recall, and not covered under warranty.

Just press harder with upper management.  IMO the faulty AF must have been due to 'particles' on the bottom covering the PDAF sensor and making it misbehave.  Likewise if you have your camera completely reversed it would settle on your viewfinder instead!

Its the same issue just that you leave your camera upside down in your bag relative to others?

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,129
Got one speck

XeroJay wrote:

Isn't the entire camera under warranty? If the prism assembly needs to be replaced due to a defect or wear(?), and it broke during the warranty period, it sure ought to be covered.

Stuff I don't like to admit. I was hoping the 1DX would be my last camera purchase. I would not have bought a 1DX had this service advisory issue arisen earlier. No way, no how. Even after the service advisory lube job the cameras with the apparent design flaw that require more lube are still capable of failing prematurely. Yeah, and I know the Canon shills out there have 400,000,000 shutter activations and haven't had a glitch. Maybe I'll get lucky and be transported to that happy world when I wake up tomorrow.

I have seen specks over time in the viewfinder on most of my cameras. Sometimes I get lucky and they are just on the mirror.

I have not put too many miles on the 1DX. I have one small black speck in the 1DX viewfinder right now, and I just got it back from Canon. Are we having fun yet?

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Hemidart
Hemidart Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

Don't take this a Canon vs Nikon post.

I have a 5D that is spotless and has been a month after cleaning by Canon, even after many lens changes. I also have a Nikon F4s that has been through the ringer and not a speck on the prism. When I do see debris, a quick blower session fixes all.

Must be a design issue...and I know it is annoying, but will not affect images.

Hemidart's gear list:Hemidart's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-50 Canon Pixma Pro-100
rddelliott Regular Member • Posts: 246

I sent my 1Dx into Canon Irvine for a clean and check and mentioned the viewfinder had specks showing.  I did not expect anything except a blowing out of the viewfinder. I received the camera back from the clean and check with the viewfinder assembly replaced at no charge other than the clean and check certificate I sent in.  i would certainly elevate the request especially if the camera is still under warranty.

-- hide signature --

rddelliott

rddelliott's gear list:rddelliott's gear list
Sony a7R
rebel99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025

XeroJay wrote:

quite amusing! if it was my new 1Dx that i just received, i'd be rocking some boats with canon management! i still haven't sent my 1Dx for the recall issue and i am waiting to see the recall influx settle down a bit and then send it in for repair. as far as i am concerned everything is under warranty during warranty period except may be if there is user abuse or dropping the camera on hard surface

cheerz.

XeroJay

I did send another email to canon service staying that I want to reproach the issue, and that I don't feel that I should be out of pocket for this, which seems to be resulting from normal and proper use of the camera.
We will see what they say...
--

John-G Veteran Member • Posts: 4,931
Re: Got one speck

Schwany wrote:

Yeah, and I know the Canon shills out there have 400,000,000 shutter activations and haven't had a glitch. Maybe I'll get lucky and be transported to that happy world when I wake up tomorrow.

I certainly don't consider myself a "Canon shill" but I do have two 1D-X bodies that are performing flawlessly, one with 230,000 actuations and one with 65,000.

Schwany
Going to be a while before I get there

John-G wrote:

I certainly don't consider myself a "Canon shill" but I do have two 1D-X bodies that are performing flawlessly, one with 230,000 actuations and one with 65,000.

I may hit 230,000 in 19.16 years given my current rate of use. I think I have a few over 2,000, but can't say the camera has been flawless. It hiccups on still subject AF once in a while, even after the "fix". That issue might be lens related though. It has been fairly reliable for moving subjects, which is nice, because that is what I bought it for.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Mike921 Regular Member • Posts: 301

XeroJay wrote:

I did send another email to canon service staying that I want to reproach the issue, and that I don't feel that I should be out of pocket for this, which seems to be resulting from normal and proper use of the camera.
--

Stay on em' man, don't let them weasel out of this one.  Keep escalating until Canon does the right thing.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +12 more
XeroJay

XeroJay wrote:

--

Stay on em' man, don't let them weasel out of this one.  Keep escalating until Canon does the right thing.

Well, I have my response from Canon:

Dear Jamieson,

Cleaning is not covered by the Canon Manufacturer's warranty. As my colleague mentioned, in order to clean the viewfinder, the technician has to dismantle the camera to get to it. There is a possibility that if the dirt/dust is stuck & they cannot clean it they would have to replace the pentaprism.

Dust/dirt in the viewfinder doesn't affect your pictures, this is considered a cosmetic service & charges apply.--

Schwany

XeroJay wrote:

Well, I have my response from Canon:

Dear Jamieson,

Cleaning is not covered by the Canon Manufacturer's warranty. As my colleague mentioned, in order to clean the viewfinder, the technician has to dismantle the camera to get to it. There is a possibility that if the dirt/dust is stuck & they cannot clean it they would have to replace the pentaprism.

Dust/dirt in the viewfinder doesn't affect your pictures, this is considered a cosmetic service & charges apply.--

Unfortunately, that makes sense. As long as it isn't metal shavings which lead to a meltdown a year from now. Apparently Canon doesn't think it is though.

brianleewy New Member • Posts: 5

My 1Dx also have this problem......!:-x

I have taken my 1Dx to Canon CS and are waiting for their reply!

Mr.Toad Regular Member • Posts: 139

I dropped mine off for the recall with Canon Canada on Monday. I had about 4 specks in the viewfinder which I asked them to clean out while they had it. They gave me the same story as you: "it's cosmetic, so it's not covered under warranty. And we don't recommend 'chasing dust around in there anyway'". I didn't want them to chase the dust around, of course, I wanted them to remove it. They quoted me $299; I declined.

Picked the camera up today and, to my surprise, there are no specks - yet - in the viewfinder, so they did clean it after all. I'm guessing the dust was on the underside of the focussing screen or bottom of the prism; I doubt that the body was disassembled to get at it.

The repair sheet says: "Cleaned and checked. Performed counter measure. Firmware up to date".

-- hide signature --
 Mr.Toad's gear list:Mr.Toad's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
AmatureMike Regular Member • Posts: 342

I've owned a few 1D IIn's and although the entire body is heavily sealed, the weakest point for the 1D series have been the pentaprism assembly area (dust gets into it easily).

I've dissembled a few and it takes a lot of work to reach the areas where the dust gets trapped (hence the labor price). The dust sometimes enters between the solid pentaprism and condensor screen (not reachable w air cleaning unless dissembled). Sometimes it lands between the condensor glass and the LCD superimposed screen (also needs full dissembly). The only area reachable for air cleaning is after removal of the focusing screen (bottom of SI LCD screen). You may want to carefully remove the focus screen and try a few gentle puffs of rocket air inside there to see if it goes away (if not, it's trapped inside the assembly).

The pentaprism assembly is NOT sealed and the top of the pentaprism has huge gaps for crap to enter and fall inside (the worst sealed area of the body).

Realize that if a incompetent technician dissembles the body and prism, they may NOT get it fully aligned perfectly (vs what u see in live view). All removal of prism assembly's require full realignment checks so u can get exactly what u see in the finder w no shifts.

XeroJay

AmatureMike wrote:

I've owned a few 1D IIn's and although the entire body is heavily sealed, the weakest point for the 1D series have been the pentaprism assembly area (dust gets into it easily).

I've dissembled a few and it takes a lot of work to reach the areas where the dust gets trapped (hence the labor price). The dust sometimes enters between the solid pentaprism and condensor screen (not reachable w air cleaning unless dissembled). Sometimes it lands between the condensor glass and the LCD superimposed screen (also needs full dissembly). The only area reachable for air cleaning is after removal of the focusing screen (bottom of SI LCD screen). You may want to carefully remove the focus screen and try a few gentle puffs of rocket air inside there to see if it goes away (if not, it's trapped inside the assembly).

The pentaprism assembly is NOT sealed and the top of the pentaprism has huge gaps for crap to enter and fall inside (the worst sealed area of the body).

Realize that if a incompetent technician dissembles the body and prism, they may NOT get it fully aligned perfectly (vs what u see in live view). All removal of prism assembly's require full realignment checks so u can get exactly what u see in the finder w no shifts.

Thanks for the insight Mike!

-- hide signature --

ajy Regular Member • Posts: 238

I just got a 1DX and also noticed some dust in the viewfinder.  Three small black specks in the right upper corner.  Have other people noticed these specks in this location?

ajy's gear list:ajy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 564

Most probably dust on either mirror or focus screen, have you tried your blower on them yet

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads