Coolpix A Italian Landscapes (mostly)

Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Coolpix A Italian Landscapes (mostly)

I'm incredibly fortunate to be spending the month in Italy on the Amalfi Coast. I have a few cameras with me, but the Coolpix A is quickly becoming my favorite. Because its my most used focal length and its pretty much always with me. For the first two weeks, we've been (and will be until Saturday) in Praiano, a fairly small village where pretty much every home, restaurant, and hotel has the same amazing, spectacular, unbelievable view. So most of my photos are of that view. On Saturday we move over to Positano, a much larger town where there's lots of interesting architecture and street life so the character of what I'm shooting will no doubt change. But for now, here are shots from Praiano (with the similar view in a few), with a couple from a hike high above Praiano, and a couple (including a street shot) from the Island of Capri. I have very limited internet access here (just a 3g wifi hotspot based on a cell signal) so I'm not even trying to upload full size files, so these are limited to 1024 pixels on the long end. But, exif or not, they're all from the Coolpix A...

Our apartment's balcony

A hotel lobby across the street

Capri

On a hike on the "Path of the Gods"

Also from the Path of the Gods

Just a typical walkway in Praiano...

Praiano

Capri

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

fotophool Veteran Member • Posts: 4,331
Re: Coolpix A Italian Landscapes (mostly)

Love your stuff, Ray.

Loved Positano, too, when I was there back in the 70s.

My Flickr Pics

edu T Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

Ray Sachs saw:

The nice sisters from Korea were always satellite-connected thru their wearable, solar-powered computers. Their names were Seren and Dipity.

(PS kudos for the series!)

edu T's gear list:edu T's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR
Ray Sachs
OP Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580

edu T wrote:

Ray Sachs saw:

The nice sisters from Korea were always satellite-connected thru their wearable, solar-powered computers. Their names were Seren and Dipity.

Thanks for the caption.  As you've correctly surmised, this one was completely a happy accident - I was looking for the timing of their movements and expressions, but I didn't see the streetlights until I was working on them.

-Ray

Feudal1
Feudal1 Regular Member • Posts: 367

Beautiful set of shots!!  You really show how nice the Coolpix A is.

Feudal1's gear list:Feudal1's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +3 more
Holmes375
Holmes375 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,798

A beautiful set of a beautiful place... bravo, Ray!

-- hide signature --
 Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
Rolf_52 Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Ray Sachs wrote:

I'm incredibly fortunate to be spending the month in Italy on the Amalfi Coast. I have a few cameras with me, but the Coolpix A is quickly becoming my favorite. Because its my most used focal length and its pretty much always with me. For the first two weeks, we've been (and will be until Saturday) in Praiano, a fairly small village where pretty much every home, restaurant, and hotel has the same amazing, spectacular, unbelievable view. So most of my photos are of that view. On Saturday we move over to Positano, a much larger town where there's lots of interesting architecture and street life so the character of what I'm shooting will no doubt change. But for now, here are shots from Praiano (with the similar view in a few), with a couple from a hike high above Praiano, and a couple (including a street shot) from the Island of Capri. I have very limited internet access here (just a 3g wifi hotspot based on a cell signal) so I'm not even trying to upload full size files, so these are limited to 1024 pixels on the long end. But, exif or not, they're all from the Coolpix A...

Our apartment's balcony

A hotel lobby across the street

Capri

On a hike on the "Path of the Gods"

Also from the Path of the Gods

Just a typical walkway in Praiano...

Praiano

Capri

-Ray

Nice set as usual...thanks for sharing...evokes memories as we stayed in the hotel displayed in image #5 a couple of years ago...below a link to a Swedish travel site with an image from the hotel restaurant...one month at the Amalfi coast sounds wonderful...this area is my favorite European destination

http://www.reseguiden.se/forum/bilder/i-vantan-pa-middagsgasterna-praiano-italien-390462

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2
Ray Sachs

Rolf_52 wrote:

Nice set as usual...thanks for sharing...evokes memories as we stayed in the hotel displayed in image #5 a couple of years ago...below a link to a Swedish travel site with an image from the hotel restaurant...one month at the Amalfi coast sounds wonderful...this area is my favorite European destination

http://www.reseguiden.se/forum/bilder/i-vantan-pa-middagsgasterna-praiano-italien-390462

Yeah, looks like the same place. Our apartment is a few houses up the road towards Positano, just enough that the hotel doesn't block that amazing view from our apartment's third story deck. But if we look to our left, there's the hotel pool deck in all it's glory...

-Ray

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,200

Thanks for sharing these images! I really should travel to the Amalfi region someday. I like your style of shooting, I like the 28mm field of view, and I like the A!

I am still saving to buy a second A, as my wife claimed the first one I bought. It will not be too much longer, perhaps August.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +49 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 13,349

Excellent work Ray...love the b/w as well

Rick

Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Leica X (Typ 113)
Steinhansel Regular Member • Posts: 245

Lovely shots, Ray.  You really captured the spirit of the area with the "A".

We were there last year and we know what it's all about (not the hokey pokey).  I recorded our trip with a D5100 but I'm using a P7700 now and love it.

Going to Rio from Barcelona later this year via the Costa del Sol, the Canary islands and the coast of Brazil.

I hope to post some pix from the trip.

Hans

Steinhansel's gear list:Steinhansel's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,422

Ray Sachs wrote:

edu T wrote:

Ray Sachs saw:

Thanks for the caption. As you've correctly surmised, this one was completely a happy accident - I was looking for the timing of their movements and expressions, but I didn't see the streetlights until I was working on them.

-Ray

LOL

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +4 more
rb0321

These are great!

Was wondering how you find the handling of the A, especially the autofocus. I've got a V1 as a small camera to augment my D7000/D5000 cameras/lenses, but the Coolpix A definitely looks interesting.

Nikon D750 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +4 more
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653

rb0321 wrote:

These are great!

Was wondering how you find the handling of the A, especially the autofocus. I've got a V1 as a small camera to augment my D7000/D5000 cameras/lenses, but the Coolpix A definitely looks interesting.

The AF of the A is just fine.  I find it nice and peppy.  Its the wide angle that needs to get used to when subjects are near.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Apple iPhone X
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
Miami Coolpix A Landscapes

this one with PP

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X70 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Apple iPhone X
Ybor
Ybor Regular Member • Posts: 274
Re: Miami Coolpix A Landscapes

photo perzon wrote:

this one with PP

These classics have been posted before. They are great examples of why sometimes any camera will do.

Ybor
Ybor Regular Member • Posts: 274

rb0321 wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

edu T wrote:

Ray Sachs saw:

Thanks for the caption. As you've correctly surmised, this one was completely a happy accident - I was looking for the timing of their movements and expressions, but I didn't see the streetlights until I was working on them.

-Ray

LOL

A bit bland to have pictures of other tourists. Not to challenge you too much here but "...looking for the timing of their movements and expressions..." sounds like a lot of poppycock to me.

The scenic shots are pretty good. Tell me though, where is the Sony RX1 that you have said you are fortunate to have? Some great photo opportunities and you are shooting with the A rather than it. Causes one to wonder why we have two cameras to do the same thing, one costing a lot less.

rb0321

photo perzon wrote:

rb0321 wrote:

These are great!

The AF of the A is just fine. I find it nice and peppy. Its the wide angle that needs to get used to when subjects are near.

Good to hear about the AF. Yeah, I wondered why they didn't go with a 35mm equivalent lens like the Fuji X100s, seems it would be more of an 'all-around' choice.

richardD300 Regular Member • Posts: 221

Brilliant images which showcase the "A" superbly.  Many fond memories for me too after numerous trips to Amalfi, Positano and Revello. Not to forget the awesome Amalfi Drive to Sorrento!

Thanks for sharing

Richard

-- hide signature --
 richardD300's gear list:richardD300's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +8 more
Ray Sachs
You want locals and RX1 shots??? (More pix...)

Ybor wrote:

A bit bland to have pictures of other tourists. Not to challenge you too much here but "...looking for the timing of their movements and expressions..." sounds like a lot of poppycock to me.

Well, that's what I look for when I'm shooting on the street, whether it sounds like poppycock to you or not. I tend not to look for antennae growing out of human heads, but I'll take 'em when I get 'em. If you prefer photos of locals....

The scenic shots are pretty good. Tell me though, where is the Sony RX1 that you have said you are fortunate to have? Some great photo opportunities and you are shooting with the A rather than it. Causes one to wonder why we have two cameras to do the same thing, one costing a lot less.

I'm using all of the cameras I brought over, including the RX1. But its true that the Nikon is getting the most use because I basically always have it with me. The RX1 and XE1 only come out when I'm going out specifically to shoot and am prepared to carry more gear. But the RX1 is getting the bulk of the really low light work and plenty of other stuff. The XE1 is getting all of the wide angle stuff, etc. Here are a few from the RX1 - there are plenty more on my ever expanding Italy set on Flickr, which can be found under my sig... I just shot a bunch with it tonight, so there will probably be more shots up sometime in the next couple of days...

-- hide signature --

-Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads