D7100 - Wildlife Digital Art (not everyone's cup of tea)

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: D7100 - Wildlife Digital Art (not everyone's cup of tea)

RudyPohl wrote:

I would image that many photographers would not consider this to be a legitimate use of photography, but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

The minute you take a shot based on what other photographers think, instead of your own desired goal ..... is the day you should sell your gear.

OP RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331

TFergus wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

I would imagine that many photographers would not consider this to be a legitimate use of photography, but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

The minute you take a shot based on what other photographers think, instead of your own desired goal ..... is the day you should sell your gear.

Hi TFergus:

Yes, I agree. I really feel that one of the necessary elements of artistic creativity is a willingness and a desire to explore beyond the conventional boundaries of accepted norms. As was mentioned in an earlier post, most people enjoy seeing something different and outside the box when it comes to photography/art and I think that pushing the boundaries is one of the ways that keeps art fresh and exciting.

A lot of people seem to agree as yesterday this photo received 4,080 visits, 233 favourites and 64 comments in Flickr Explore. I was amazed as I had done nothing but upload this image to my Flickr account, I hadn't tagged it or posted it in any groups!

For me personally, the requirements I would impose on myself for doing this kind of "Photographic Art" would be these...

1. I would be careful to not call it Wildlife Photography, but rather Wildlife Digital Art.
  2. I would not alter the main subject - animal, bird, plant - but only the background.
  3. I would create a background whose purpose it was to highlight the main subject.
  4. I would declare how the background was created.

Cheers,

Rudy

Hisma Regular Member • Posts: 154

my question to you rudy is...

what emotion or feeling did you want to convey with the green background?

When I see green, I think nature, sophistication... generally a warm feeling.  The particularly darker shade of green you chose is striking.

Just curious if you chose the background based on a feeling you were trying to convey, or if it just seemed to be what worked best.  Personally, I think art should invoke emotions, so I hope it was something you considered. (i'm guessing you did)

Hisma wrote:

When I see green, I think nature, sophistication... generally a warm feeling. The particularly darker shade of green you chose is striking.

Just curious if you chose the background based on a feeling you were trying to convey, or if it just seemed to be what worked best. Personally, I think art should invoke emotions, so I hope it was something you considered. (i'm guessing you did)

Hi Hisam:

Great question. Yes, I did consider it quite carefully. This background was created from the actual background in the photo (see below). I flipped the image horizontally, cut out the Heron and the log and water in the foreground placing them on a separate layer above the original layer. I took the background foliage layer, applied generous Gausian Blur, then applied a Motion Blur, and finally darkened the background to taste. This way I was able to create a stylized version of the original background retaining the real colours. It seemed to work.

Rudy

kgbruce01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

This one is ages better than the obviously PS'd one you first posted.

RudyPohl wrote:

Hisma wrote:

When I see green, I think nature, sophistication... generally a warm feeling. The particularly darker shade of green you chose is striking.

Just curious if you chose the background based on a feeling you were trying to convey, or if it just seemed to be what worked best. Personally, I think art should invoke emotions, so I hope it was something you considered. (i'm guessing you did)

Hi Hisam:

Great question. Yes, I did consider it quite carefully. This background was created from the actual background in the photo (see below). I flipped the image horizontally, cut out the Heron and the log and water in the foreground placing them on a separate layer above the original layer. I took the background foliage layer, applied generous Gausian Blur, then applied a Motion Blur, and finally darkened the background to taste. This way I was able to create a stylized version of the original background retaining the real colours. It seemed to work.

Rudy

Hi kgbruce01:

I hear you and I know where you're coming from. The thing is I have about hundred fairly nice shots from this photo-outing and all with what to me has become a pretty boring background. Also, being a graphic artist I'm fooling around and experimenting with some of my images to see what comes out. I create posters, brochures and other forms or artwork as part of my living in our business so this stylized image is just part of what I do.

I really do understand and respect the view of photographers that do like this type of thing. I too don't like pineapple or anchovies on my pizza... real pizza id for mushroom and pepperoni!

Cheers,

Rudy

kgbruce01 wrote:

This one is ages better than the obviously PS'd one you first posted.

RudyPohl wrote:

Hisma wrote:

Hi Hisam:

Rudy

Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
Your original shot is my favorites...

No text.

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
artlmntl Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

I like the idea, but the background is too strong and contrasty. The diagonal striping effect is distracting and does not add to the composition. But I see a lot of potential there for you. If you're having fun, you should do more of that.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

artlmntl wrote:

I like the idea, but the background is too strong and contrasty. The diagonal striping effect is distracting and does not add to the composition. But I see a lot of potential there for you. If you're having fun, you should do more of that.

Yea Hunter, that's all I'm doing (bored artist wanting to play around with some images on his coffee break)... I'm definitely not trying to create a new kind of art form, nor am I saying I'm tired of traditional wildlife photography (not at all)... just having a bit of fun.

I do find it interesting and a bit humorous that my original photo posted in my Flickr account got 119 visits and 5 favourites over 17 days and the stylized version got 4,080 visits and 260 favourites in one day yesterday.

Rudy

wade maney Regular Member • Posts: 267

Rudy - This is not meant to be on par with your wildlife digital art - its just to show what one can do with PS and the blurring, et al effects. In the end its just kind of fun to see what kind of images can me made and what kind of feelings the changes evoke. But the images always demand a rather sophisticated title - so I call this "Yellow Flower in Green Leaf"! Sophisticated right?

-- hide signature --

Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Nikon D850
artlmntl Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

RudyPohl wrote:

Yea Hunter, that's all I'm doing (bored artist wanting to play around with some images on his coffee break)... I'm definitely not trying to create a new kind of art form, nor am I saying I'm tired of traditional wildlife photography (not at all)... just having a bit of fun.

I do find it interesting and a bit humorous that my original photo posted in my Flickr account got 119 visits and 5 favourites over 17 days and the stylized version got 4,080 visits and 260 favourites in one day yesterday.

Rudy

Bit of fun: GOOD! 34x more traffic and 52x more favorites!? That's interesting. I wonder why? Well, have more fun.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,063

RudyPohl wrote:

artlmntl wrote:

Rudy

Rudy,

Explore is an interesting beast.  My own experience with it tells me there is little correlation between how well an image does on flickr and how it is received here.  Not to say one or the other is better but the audiences are far removed from each other.  Getting an image to go on Explore is a nice treat, for sure, but I can post that same image here and hear just the hum of my fluorescent light bulb.  Plus, you are definitely right about alterations making a big difference on flickr.  I posted one reflection image.  Got a few comments.  Upon the advice of a contact, I edited the shot.  Almost immediately upon posting, it went ballistic.  No substantial change.  Just flipping and cropping.  I am glad you received some positive feedback on Explore.  That can only help to encourage you to continue pursuing and exploring your own unique style.  Which seems pretty well received here, too.  No reason to restrict yourself.  Photography is like Baskin-Robbins:  there is a flavor for everyone.

See you here or there!

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
JTC111 Contributing Member • Posts: 505

artlmntl wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

Rudy

Bit of fun: GOOD! 34x more traffic and 52x more favorites!? That's interesting. I wonder why? Well, have more fun.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it got 34x more traffic and 52x more favorites because PEOPLE LIKE IT.  I'm sure there were plenty of purists that scoffed at Dali, Picasso, and others that pushed the envelope.  When it comes to art, the best rule is not to have too many rules.  Rules get in the way of innovation.

JTC111's gear list:JTC111's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +9 more
Brian in Montana
Brian in Montana Regular Member • Posts: 442

RudyPohl wrote:

Rudy

Do we create things to satisfy our own desire, to be congratulated by critics or to entertain the masses?  If I were contributing to a commercial gallery, I would want to actually SELL my work. Judging by the responses on Flickr, your stylized image would potentially sell better as it cought the eye of quite a few more people. Was the creative process rewarding for you? Which is a better movie - Citizen Kane or Avatar? Which made more money? Personally, I think both of your images are very good. In my game room I would choose to hang the stylized one, and in my family room I would choose the original - that is, if I had a game room or a family room, but you get the point. Which image would you feel better about hanging on YOUR wall? Regards, Brian

Oops - now I see I'm just echoing JTC111's comment. +1

Brev00 wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

artlmntl wrote:

Rudy

Rudy,

Explore is an interesting beast. My own experience with it tells me there is little correlation between how well an image does on flickr and how it is received here. Not to say one or the other is better but the audiences are far removed from each other. Getting an image to go on Explore is a nice treat, for sure, but I can post that same image here and hear just the hum of my fluorescent light bulb. Plus, you are definitely right about alterations making a big difference on flickr. I posted one reflection image. Got a few comments. Upon the advice of a contact, I edited the shot. Almost immediately upon posting, it went ballistic. No substantial change. Just flipping and cropping. I am glad you received some positive feedback on Explore. That can only help to encourage you to continue pursuing and exploring your own unique style. Which seems pretty well received here, too. No reason to restrict yourself. Photography is like Baskin-Robbins: there is a flavor for everyone.

See you here or there!

Hi Brev:

Yes Explore certainly seems to be a strange beast indeed. Before last week I had never even heard of it, then one day my photo of that bunch of little Canada Goose goslings walking on a beach that I posted here with the title "Storming the Beach" started showing an inordinate number of visits and favourites and there were comments from people congratulating me for being on Explore, something I had never heard of. That photo ended the day with just under 6,000 visits and 180 favourites. I thought to myself "What the heck is this?" Even more bizarre was the fact that technically the image was pretty poor in several ways. Go figure?

Then, even stranger, over the following week 5 more images, some pretty crappy technically, also got picked up by Explore (haven't got a clue how that works) and racked up a cumulative total of 22,000 visits. It's embarrassing because not one of those images are what I would call very good, I would never had entered any one of them in a photo contest, even though they were interesting compositions.

I find this over-the-top response quite interesting as a phenomenon because it raises some questions regarding why we do photography, who do we do it for, who decides what is a good photo and based on which criteria, how important is composition and subject matter and how important is technical excellence? I just find these to be interesting things to consider, which is why I revived this thread with the Explore data rather than just letter the thread get buried by newer posts.

Anyways... just wondering...

Rudy

Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,063

RudyPohl wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

artlmntl wrote:

Rudy

Rudy,

Explore is an interesting beast. My own experience with it tells me there is little correlation between how well an image does on flickr and how it is received here. Not to say one or the other is better but the audiences are far removed from each other. Getting an image to go on Explore is a nice treat, for sure, but I can post that same image here and hear just the hum of my fluorescent light bulb. Plus, you are definitely right about alterations making a big difference on flickr. I posted one reflection image. Got a few comments. Upon the advice of a contact, I edited the shot. Almost immediately upon posting, it went ballistic. No substantial change. Just flipping and cropping. I am glad you received some positive feedback on Explore. That can only help to encourage you to continue pursuing and exploring your own unique style. Which seems pretty well received here, too. No reason to restrict yourself. Photography is like Baskin-Robbins: there is a flavor for everyone.

See you here or there!

Hi Brev:

Yes Explore certainly seems to be a strange beast indeed. Before last week I had never even heard of it, then one day my photo of that bunch of little Canada Goose goslings walking on a beach that I posted here with the title "Storming the Beach" started showing an inordinate number of visits and favourites and there were comments from people congratulating me for being on Explore, something I had never heard of. That photo ended the day with just under 6,000 visits and 180 favourites. I thought to myself "What the heck is this?" Even more bizarre was the fact that technically the image was pretty poor in several ways. Go figure?

Then, even stranger, over the following week 5 more images, some pretty crappy technically, also got picked up by Explore (haven't got a clue how that works) and racked up a cumulative total of 22,000 visits. It's embarrassing because not one of those images are what I would call very good, I would never had entered any one of them in a photo contest, even though they were interesting compositions.

I find this over-the-top response quite interesting as a phenomenon because it raises some questions regarding why we do photography, who do we do it for, who decides what is a good photo and based on which criteria, how important is composition and subject matter and how important is technical excellence? I just find these to be interesting things to consider, which is why I revived this thread with the Explore data rather than just letter the thread get buried by newer posts.

Anyways... just wondering...

Rudy

You certainly do think a great deal.  You can explore the world of meta-photography if you wish but will any answer alter the trajectory of your actual practice of photography?  Even if we do pursue the answers to such questions, when we finally figure it all out, suddenly, our pics will no longer be chosen for Explore.  Let the outside world do what it does while we do our thing.  Easy for me to say, though.  The outside world ain't paying me squat.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

The original photo is just another picture of a bird, albeit a nice one. The modified one made me stop and look and admire. It focuses attention on the bird and the angle of the background compliments the angle of the bird's head. I enjoyed looking at the processed one. I would have just flipped by the original. Nice work.

Humanoid
Humanoid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687

It looks good but its fake.  How would you feel about your image if it were real and that was the actual scene? This is one of the reasons I left photo.net, as many started making pshop photos years ago.

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +9 more

Humanoid wrote:

It looks good but its fake. How would you feel about your image if it were real and that was the actual scene? This is one of the reasons I left photo.net, as many started making pshop photos years ago.

Ray

Hi Ray:

Thanks for sharing your view in such a forthright manner, I was wondering when we would hear from some strongly opposing opinions.

I would say that it's only "fake" if it's misrepresented as being true photography, which it's not and which I didn't. It's art, if it were used in some sort of commercial poster or brochure few would have a problem with it I suspect.

Rudy

JTC111 Contributing Member • Posts: 505

Humanoid wrote:

It looks good but its fake.

As is everything created by Donatello, Botticelli, da Vinci, Raphael, Rubens, Rembrandt, de Goya, Manet, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Rousseau, Cassatt, Gauguin, Toulouse-Lautrec, Matisse, Picasso, Hopper, Kandinsky, Chagall, O'Keeffe, Seurat, van Gogh, Rockwell, Dali, etc.
Photography is as much an artistic medium as oil, stone, or any other.  You say "fake" like that's a bad thing.  I'd love to own a "fake" created by any of the artists I've listed.

JTC111's gear list:JTC111's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads