Weekly Wildlife Thread: July 7th - July 13th

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Discussions
newvusa
newvusa Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: Fantasy Pelicans

dennismullen wrote:

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

Beautiful pair. Great shots, Dennis.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa's gear list:newvusa's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
newvusa
newvusa Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: NZ Sacred Kingfisher: NEX-7, 500 F/4.5L

nzmacro wrote:

A major storm had gone through the estuary where I normally shoot and it was a mess with trees blown all about, broken branches and weed swept ashore. So out with a shovel and sledge hammer to make use of some of the branches. Set a couple up as perches for the NZ Sacred Kingfisher. So concentrating on those this week. Plus I'm addicted to them

A few shots from the NEX-7 and Canon FD 500 F/4.5L, manual focus, hand held, cropped as per normal.

Just cruising

Blasting through after a dive with a small crab

Hovering over its next meal

In for a dive and came up empty

Spitting out the shell and other things they can't digest

Coming back with food

Coming into perch with small crab again

Ready for touchdown

Crab, glorious crab !!

Off for the next hunt

All the best folks and just a few recent shots this week.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Wow! Jaw-dropping shots. Very impressive!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sed Navs

newvusa's gear list:newvusa's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Re: Weekly Wildlife Thread: July 7th - July 13th

Danny those KingFisher Birds  are Excellent as we have come to expect from you, You ought to be working on a Kingfisher Pictorial Book to Publish your Shots are worthy of Print and Press .

The Sigma EX 1.4 does not Record Exif Data (5 contact) oddly enough my 2  5 and 7 element Tamron's 2X do and my 4 element Tamron 1.4 (8 contact) does not either. i would like to try a Minolta 1.4 APO on this rig .

Great Shots this week Nice to see that Bobcat and those Pelican shots sure came out nice Dennis like the effect , So much Many shots from everyone.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,136
Re: Latest test shots with 70-400G II

Those Swallows are hard work !! In flight they are all over the place unless you get them feeding in a stream. Still hard work. Well done. Good variety of shots and and well taken. Very nice to see.

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,374
Re: NZ Sacred Kingfisher: NEX-7, 500 F/4.5L

very nice shots...curious, having just acquired a nex 7; are you using single shot on 10 shot continuous?

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
On the multi-eyed side...

A full body shot of my favorite spider

and a (very) close face shot...

... Lucas

Always having fun with photography
http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony 50mm F1.4 +39 more
Atgard
Atgard Regular Member • Posts: 432

nzmacro wrote:

Excellent variety and darn good shots. Here we are very limited in what we have. Very few Egrets, here we call them a white Heron. Scarce, but I do have a few shots out of only 120 odd population in New Zealand of the white Heron. Gorgeous Egret, love them and well done.

Tri coloured Heron we don't have either. We have the white faced Heron and a reef Heron, so i love seeing these, beautiful. Anhinga we don't have either and I love those as well, I really enjoy seeing what Justin posts up in the NEX forum as well as here. Nice to see and good on you.

All the best and fine shots, beautiful bird life

Thanks very much for the kind words… it's funny, I yearn to see your kingfishers, and you want to see the birds I see every day. Sounds like we need to set up a photography exchange trip where I visit NZ and you come to Florida… 

P.S.: I met up with Justin on Saturday, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly to post some pics that put mine to shame!

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM
fishbreath
fishbreath Regular Member • Posts: 201

all lined up

-- hide signature --

retirement isn't all its cracked-up to be,,,,,,,,,,,,its better

fishbreath's gear list:fishbreath's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
curaphoto Regular Member • Posts: 259

Friends sharing

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,514
Re: The invasion at Lindo Lakes.

Cool bugs Gene.  Not sure what they are...the pattern on the back looks a little different, but they look somewhat like our milkweed bugs here in Florida:

Maybe there are some variants with different patterns, or regional differences?  or maybe it's a completely different species.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg

Nice work indeed.  Hot?  Who says it was hot?  

Now I see your anhinga fish sequence - always nice to catch them doing the flip-and-swallow.

I haven't even gotten my photos off my camera yet, unfortunately - it may be a few days...I got detoured with a pet emergency that's had my attention for the past 2 days, so I might not get to those photos until Thursday.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
zackiedawg

Very nice, clean shot.  I can't say I've ever seen a juvenile starling, other than the tip of a head or beak sticking out of a hole and begging for food when they're young - seems I never catch them in between this stage, and full adult!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: Sam's Weekly Wildlife

Excellent all around Sam, though that first family portrait is a real winner!  Love the low angle and the way they're all walking together - looks like a family walking through Disney World the way they're all walking and posed!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Very nice Tony - love the bobcat shots, and your acrobatic chipmunk.  Good to see some other bobcat captures too!  I was lucky enough to get a few encounters last year and early this year, and it seems not too many bobcats posted here!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Congrats on your first capture!  Beautiful bird and one I'd like to see someday too.  Now that you've finally gotten a capture of one, you'll surely get more - it seems like catching a particular bird for the first time is the real challenge, and after that, they seem to show up in front of you much more often.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: Latest test shots with 70-400G II

Looks pretty decent indeed - the purple martin is nicely captured, and I love the gull/tern caught in the skim mode!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: Arctic Ground Squirrel

Adorable little guy - and very nice shot - especially the last, which really has lovely color and catches the full body.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Lovely selection, Bob!  I love the oystercatcher - haven't gotten one of those myself, and the colors are indeed wonderful.

BTW, I'm pretty sure your 'stilt' is likely some kind of sandpiper, rather than a stilt...though which kind I can't say for sure without knowing what's in your area.  Most of ours down here are solitary sandpipers or semi-palmeated sandpipers.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: Fantasy Pelicans

Very nice catch on the pelicans in general - good pose, lovely color and warm light.  The treatment works for me - a little gauzy, dreamy look and pop of color, the water reflections really stand out and look glassy.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: A bee and a fly

Both very nice shots - a particularly nice capture on the bee, with lovely, smooth background, and focus & detail very good on the bee.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads