Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Started Jul 7, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 Forum Member • Posts: 85
Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Can anyone suggests an effective and not to expensive means of repairing this crack.
It is at the hinge point of the CF door on a Nikon D2h. It looks like the crack is in the plastic.
I do not think that simply and carefully gluing this crack would work. The crack would, over time, return.

I cannot provide more details, because this is not my camera yet. I would like to understand how this kind of crack can be fixed.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D2H
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

I think that camera just became a tchotchke. Repair is probably going to be far more than the camera is worth. Send it to Nikon for recycling, or use it as shelf decoration. They are going for less that $300 on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

jjnik Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

I agree with Robin - not worth even considering.  BTW, that's magnesium alloy - not plastic.

Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Robin Casady wrote:

I think that camera just became a tchotchke. Repair is probably going to be far more than the camera is worth. Send it to Nikon for recycling, or use it as shelf decoration. They are going for less that $300 on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

As I understand it, the camera works just fine. Yeah, there is this crack, and something caused it. But, the owners indicates this has not affected the functionality of the camera body.  I'll know better after I get a look at it.

You are saying however, that the crack is in a portion of the body that is made of alloy and not one of the plastic sections.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 807
JB Weld (JBQuick)

I'd dry the quick mix epoxy called JB Quick.  It mixes to a medium grey paste/putty.  I'd insert a little into the crack and wait a minute or two then carve off the excess with an X-Acto knife before it gets really hard.  A quick swipe with a black Sharpie marker and I'd bet you would have a satisfactory invisible patch.

YMMV

macmaven

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,613
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

I just bought (having bought and sold 3 D2H's before) again a MINT condition D2H for 200 dollars.

I wouldn't spend more than a hundred dollars for this camera.

Having said that, there things are tanks and I bet the crack doesn't affect anything.  I also agree with the JB weld.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +17 more
leighton w
leighton w Senior Member • Posts: 2,048
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Either JB Weld, or this stuff. http://sugru.com/us

Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

I just bought (having bought and sold 3 D2H's before) again a MINT condition D2H for 200 dollars.

I wouldn't spend more than a hundred dollars for this camera.

Having said that, there things are tanks and I bet the crack doesn't affect anything. I also agree with the JB weld.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

I will get a look at the camera this week. I am looking at this one for a number of reasons.

  • The guy is selling it for a very good price.
  • Yes, these things are built like tanks.
  • Aside from this, the camera is nearly excellent.
  • The camera has only 21,000 shutter clicks.
  • This won't be my only camera.

I think I can live with this, but I will know better when I see it this week.

Boy, I would love to find a mint D2h for 200.00. I would buy it in a heartbeat; even if I already had one (The wife would not be so happy about that). I see loads of really beat up D2h cameras for 200.00 and higher, but never... ever a mint D2h for 200.00. For as old at these cameras are, the really great condition ones still fetch 800.00 or more. That says a lot for how people hold these old work horse cameras in very high regard.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
hendrikm2 Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

If it has a crack like this (which have to come from impact), you can´t be sure that the bajonett isn´t affected either. If the bajonett and the sensor are not aligned perfectly, it will affect image quality. And a misaligned happens much earlier than a crack...

Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

hendrikm2 wrote:

If it has a crack like this (which have to come from impact), you can´t be sure that the bajonett isn´t affected either. If the bajonett and the sensor are not aligned perfectly, it will affect image quality. And a misaligned happens much earlier than a crack...

I'll be taking several images and inspecting them closely. The owner will be here with the camera later this week. We've had several conversations about camera long before I considered buying this camera. We'll see where we are when I see the camera and its images.

Additionally, I have seen D2h cameras with dents (seemingly from being dropped) everywhere and they worked perfectly. This goes to the rugged build quality of the D2h.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Well, here is one of many photos I have taken with this specific D2h.  I've reviewed the camera from top to bottom and taken several photos with the camera.  See one of the photos and the camera below.  The camera has 21K shutter clicks. The body is very good condition. The only real cosmetic issue I can see is the crack.

I've used the camera for the last day and a half with my lenses, and the camera works flawlessly.  The images it takes are clean and clear.  I've decided to buy the camera for 200.00.  I believe I bought a good camera, fully functional D2h.  I have seen D2h cameras; totally beat up and totally non-functioning for $250.00 and higher.  This camera is great, such that it is.

Photo taken with this D2h camera.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

I think that camera just became a tchotchke. Repair is probably going to be far more than the camera is worth. Send it to Nikon for recycling, or use it as shelf decoration. They are going for less that $300 on ebay.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

As I understand it, the camera works just fine. Yeah, there is this crack, and something caused it. But, the owners indicates this has not affected the functionality of the camera body.  I'll know better after I get a look at it.

You are saying however, that the crack is in a portion of the body that is made of alloy and not one of the plastic sections.

Yes, you are right, the crack is in the alloy.  I can see no signs of what might have caused it.  In later threads, you will see that I actually bought the camera (see photos in later threads). Works perfectly and aside from the ctack, the camera is very clean.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
Pat1954 Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

Patch it up with JB Weld or any 2 part epoxy and stop worrying then make up some good beer tales for your friends about how your camera got it's battle scars.

-- hide signature --

_________
Pat

Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Repair crack D2h body, Suggestions Please?

LoL! Will do.

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
user_name Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134
JB Weld or JB Quick

It's magnesium.

Since the cost of replacing the part is more than the camera's worth, I would just get some JB Weld or better yet, JB Quick and fill the crack and clamp it together.

 user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +1 more
Gpruitt54
Gpruitt54 OP Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: JB Weld or JB Quick

user_name wrote:

It's magnesium.

Since the cost of replacing the part is more than the camera's worth, I would just get some JB Weld or better yet, JB Quick and fill the crack and clamp it together.

Thanks, the camera is working like a champ, The D2h is an excellent piece of engineering.  I almost don't even care about the crack, it is not an issue at all to the functioning of the camera.  Though I am somewhat concerned about moisture and/or dust getting in there.

So, where do I buy this JB Weld or JB Quick product?

 Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
user_name Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134
Re: JB Weld or JB Quick

Epoxy would be my first choice.  Silicone caulk my second.

The epoxy should keep the crack from expanding, whereas the silicone will not.

 user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +1 more
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,613
Re: JB Weld or JB Quick

Gpruitt54 wrote:

user_name wrote:

It's magnesium.

Since the cost of replacing the part is more than the camera's worth, I would just get some JB Weld or better yet, JB Quick and fill the crack and clamp it together.

Thanks, the camera is working like a champ, The D2h is an excellent piece of engineering. I almost don't even care about the crack, it is not an issue at all to the functioning of the camera. Though I am somewhat concerned about moisture and/or dust getting in there.

So, where do I buy this JB Weld or JB Quick product?

I've seen it at Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and the True Value hardware stores.  Probably at the big auto parts stores too.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads