nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions
tomtek1221 Regular Member • Posts: 221
nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

For a wide lens what is your opinion of these two? Do you have any other ideas? Thank you.

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
Re: nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 for D7100

Pretty simple, what do you value more, the flexibility of the increased range or sharper edge to edge images?  The Tokina is almost prime like in it's edge to edge sharpness, and many who own it feel the small focal length almost feels like you're shooting a prime.  The Nikon has (basically) 3 times the focal length but at 10 mm you're going to be a little soft around the edges and above 20mm you'll start to have softness in general (still quite usable though).  Both are very good products.

Nexu1's gear list:Nexu1's gear list
Nikon D750
hewhosculpts Contributing Member • Posts: 832

These are actually super wide lenses and not simply wide lenses. Note, the Tokina is an amazing lens and I'd be quite surprised if the Nikkor is even close to it in quality... and with the sensor resolution of a 7100 it will make a difference.

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
AngryBird New Member • Posts: 5
My Tokina creates too much CA and purple cast

I've got the Tokina just over a week ago primarily based on the online reviews and also because it has faster lens which is important to me since I shoot a lot indoors.

I was quite impressed with the sharpness of the lens, build quality, and also though it would compliment nicely the upcoming Sigma 18-35 1.8 if I ever decide to buy it.

Now after one week of playing with the lens I have one serious complain - I am getting quite a lot of purple and green fringes (CA?) in almost all my pictures, enough to make me notice, which has never been the case with all my other lenses (which happen to be all Nikon 2.8). In addition to fringing, sometime the entire image is getting quite strong purple cast which I prefer to remove in Aperture by completely desaturating purple channel.

I am not sure whether it is a defect or a common characteristic of the lens. All picture exhibiting purple cast and excessive fringing were taken either in shade or indoors. Some of them might have been underexposed slightly. Some are taken at f2.8. I shoot with D300 in AUTO WB. Same settings are used with other lenses with no complains whatsoever.

I would be very interested to hear some expert opinion on whether it is something to be expected from Tokina and/or any UWA lens in general (including Nikon 10-24) and/or if there is anything could be done to remediate the issue. I think this might help your decision as well.

kymarto Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Re: My Tokina creates too much CA and purple cast

The Tokina is known to be very subject to CA and also flares badly. CA is relatively easy to fix in post, and most cameras now eliminate it if you save as jpg. There is nothing to do about flare.

I own the Tokina and the Sigma 8-16, and tested the Nikon 10-24. Each has its good points and bad points.

The main weakness of the Nikon is the corners at 10mm. They are noticeably soft at all apertures. But only the extreme corners and only at 10mm. Contrast is good and the lens has very good flare characteristics. CA is pretty well controlled.

I never use the Tokina anymore since purchasing the Sigma. CA is better than with the Tokina, and the lens is similar in sharpness to the Tokina, and better in the corners. Flare comes as one bright comet, but it is small and well contained, and contrast remains excellent. The lens remain sharp throughout its range.

The downsides are that it does not accept filters, and maximum aperture is 4.5-5.6, but the extra two millimeters at the wide end make a considerable difference if you are into wide. It is the only UWA to receive a four star rating from Photozone.

That being said, quality control is not stellar. I tried two and one was much better in the corners than the other. Of course that is also true of the Tokina.

Later when I am on my computer I will post some comparative shots.

AngryBird New Member • Posts: 5

Interestingly, the Tokina also receives four stars from Photozone if you look at Canon mount (it is not listed among Nikon mount lenses at all).

Regarding CA correction in post, everyone keeps saying that it is easy. Not in Aperture 3 I would argue. In Aperture it is virtually impossible from my experience. The CA correction tool only corrects yellow/cyan and red/blue CA (not purple/green). The Moire slider (which is supposed to deal with purple fringes) is virtually useless. And the Halo removal paintbrush, while rather effective at masking purple fringes, leaves very dark marks and it is a pain to use on large areas. My best results in Aperture so far was using plugins but that automatically converts RAW files to TIFF creating 50MB copies which is very inconvenient. I briefly looked at Lightroom CA correction and it seems it also requires selective colour desaturation which may affect the real colours in the picture unless you brush it in which is not that "easy" in practice (and also the same technique could be applied in Aperture so I don't see a need to convert).

I guess I will play a bit more with Tokina and either will get used to CA and stop paying attention to it or use Aperture plugins for my best shots. Does D300 correct CA in-camera for JPEGs?

six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 2,079

Use the Tokina and very much like but also understand its limitations, CA and flare. Personally believe there is NO excellent option for UWA in the available lenses only good. You have to make too many compromises when building an UWA. Tokina released a newer version of the 11-16 a while back, read it would be more resistant to flare and perhaps they have done something with CA as well. Suggest you investigate further. The 11-16 is very sharp and I like it.

Simple shot of colosseum interior with Tokina 11-16. Wish I had a fisheye here.

Rejected the 8-16 because of its bulbous front element, think it would be quite easy to damage and does not take filters. Rejected the Nikon 10-24 because of cost and softness in corners.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,746

The tokina 12-28 might be an interesting option, again if you value some extra focal length.  I actually have it but haven't used it enough to give a final opinion on it (early thoughts are quite positive).  I have shot with it directly at the sun and it did just fine, no worse than the nikon 10-24.  From reading the specs it sounds as if Tokina has changed their formula a bit so perhaps there will be improvements in CA & flare (the 11-16 both versions and 12-24 all had 13 elements in 11 groups and the 12-28 has 14 in 12, and just looking at the diagrams the aspherical lenses have changed shape a bit, so it does look to be a pretty different optical design).

Here's some of my early thoughts, images and a loose comparison to the nikon 10-24: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3511791

I somewhat put some blind faith in Tokina by buying this before any reviews have come out, but Tokina seems to do wide angle pretty darn well so I went for it.

Nexu1's gear list:Nexu1's gear list
Nikon D750
Marvin Doering Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

I know you didn't ask for other suggestions but we have all been through this search at one time or another.  I just did it a few months ago and I settled on the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6.  For the money I don't think you can beat it.  Look at What Digital Photo magazine and you will see they rate both Sigma 10-20's above the others.  Of course if you need 8mm you need 8mm.  Otherwise I think you will like the Sigma 10-20.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,784

The Nikon is by far the best and most versatile DX superwide. It has insane resistance to flare and huge contrast which can only be compared to a prime, except that there is almost no prime in its range that can hold a candle to it. The Tokina is disqualified for many because it is a flare magnet and cannot shoot with the sun in or near the frame without making a huge mess. Much is made of the Tokina's sharpness, which is very good, but the Nikon also shows all available pixels minus the CA even on a D800e in 1.2 crop mode (24MP) and is a match in the resolution derby. I only wish we had as good a superwide in the FX camp.  Corners are soft at 10mm, which is the one aspect which is less than perfect with the lens.  That is probably because they added some length to it which is very handy on the trail or around town.  It really is one of Nikon's best efforts. DXO or PTlens or ACR is recommended to ameliorate distortion.  Not cheap, but that's how the cookie crumbles :^)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51747496@N08/sets/72157631784209163/

chuhsi Contributing Member • Posts: 999

I bought the Tokina simply because I wanted 2.8 and a sharper overall lens. The range feels very limited, though.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373
Fisheye

Just my personal opinion, for most shots wider that 16mm on DX, I prefer fisheye projection. The "normal" UWA have their own distortions and IMHO they don't look as natural. Plus if you really want wide, a fisheye delivers! The 8mm rokinon (no need for a chipped version for a D7k series) is a great little lens and worth owning even if you do decide to also get a UWA zoom. AF is -not- needed on a fisheye lens.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7 +16 more
ShelNf Regular Member • Posts: 427

Here are a few from the 10-24 at 10mm, its weakest focal length.

The Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 was my first UWA. It is a very decent lens, but is not as good optically as the 8-16. The corners tend to be a bit soft and it has fairly nasty flare characteristics if you have a bright light source in frame. For most purposes it is fine, and the price is very good. I do think that the Nikon 10-24 is slightly better overall.

I'm not sure about the D300. I always shoot raw.

Tokina vs Sigma comparison shots

Sigma @8mm

Tokina @11mm

SIgma @11mm

Sigma @8mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

All shot at f5.6. Corner resolution is definitely better on the Sigma; the Tokina might just edge the Sigma in the center, but it is close.

nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Re: Tokina vs Sigma comparison shots

kymarto wrote:

Sigma @8mm

Tokina @11mm

SIgma @11mm

Sigma @8mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

All shot at f5.6. Corner resolution is definitely better on the Sigma; the Tokina might just edge the Sigma in the center, but it is close.

3rd shot from the bottom: Is that the flare that some people have been complaining about w. the Tokina 11-16?  (Newbie writing so this, so I'm sure what the term is for that rainbow-like effect in the lower right quadrant.)

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Michael Siemon Regular Member • Posts: 470
!

nkistrup wrote:

kymarto wrote:

Sigma @8mm

Tokina @11mm

SIgma @11mm

Sigma @8mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

Sigma @11mm

Tokina @11mm

3rd shot from the bottom: Is that the flare that some people have been complaining about w. the Tokina 11-16? (Newbie writing so this, so I'm sure what the term is for that rainbow-like effect in the lower right quadrant.)

Yes; that is (very classic!) flare. The point of the pics (that one and the Sigma shot just before it) is to show that the Sigma manages shooting into the light better than the Tokina. I have the Tokina on order, as it happens [there's a nice current rebate in effect], and I will be evaluating it with this in mind.

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

Michael Siemon's gear list:Michael Siemon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +19 more
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Re: !

Thanks Michael,

The UW lenses intrigue me, but it seems that the quality (compared to the telephoto lenses) isn't there.  Hope this will change. 

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,784
Re: !

Uh, if you can't get a "quality" shot with your D7100 and any of the better superwides, it won't be the fault of the equipment.  Take a look at what Roman Johnston put out with his D300 and the Tokina 11-16 and know.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads