Anyone in the UK received their free Olympus 17mm f2.8?

Started Jul 4, 2013 | Discussions
Steve Jamieson Junior Member • Posts: 44
Anyone in the UK received their free Olympus 17mm f2.8?

Hi, Ordered my E-PM2 and claim approved for free lens on 24th June, but no lens yet. Anyone received theirs? or still waiting like me? How long did it take to arrive?

Is the lens any good,

Any pic's taken with this lens?

Thanks,

Steve

Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tinternaut Veteran Member • Posts: 7,680
Re: Anyone in the UK received their free Olympus 17mm f2.8?

The email I received from Olympus simply said it would be delivered in the next 28 days.  It's free, so I wouldn't expect Olympus to rush.

As to how good the lens is, well it's a pancake lens and that means compromises.  Likely more than good enough, but not as good as Panasonic's efforts.  I'm looking forward to using it.

tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
Edward Lowy
Edward Lowy Regular Member • Posts: 214

Am sure I am being thick, but I can't actually find how to apply! Weblink for Olympus promotions doesn't seem to include the 17 mm offer?

Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +4 more
Re: Here you go
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
Edward Lowy
Edward Lowy Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: Here you go
 Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +4 more
honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Hi, Ordered my E-PM2 and claim approved for free lens on 24th June, but no lens yet. Anyone received theirs? or still waiting like me? How long did it take to arrive?

Is the lens any good,

Thanks,

Steve

I think it's a pretty good lens. Not stellar, but far from bad, and certainly a capable lens to leave on your body most of the time.

There are many examples of good and bad pictures taken with this lens. I think the quality of images largely depends on the subject and the photographer than the lens.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Jacom Contributing Member • Posts: 793

Not really relevant but I got my free Panasonic 45-150 lens (G5) within 5 days and that was including the weekend.

icemanonline New Member • Posts: 8

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Is the lens any good,

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, I to am waiting after purchasing the E-PL5 double kit.  Had an email also saying 28 days.

As for the lens I would imagine it will be just a bit better than the kit lens or at least I hope so.

I was looking at getting the new Artline Sigma 19mm but as yet no feedback I can find so may hang of a while.

Andy

icemanonline's gear list:icemanonline's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II
icemanonline New Member • Posts: 8

icemanonline wrote:

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Is the lens any good,

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, I to am waiting after purchasing the E-PL5 double kit. Had an email also saying 28 days.

As for the lens I would imagine it will be just a bit better than the kit lens or at least I hope so.

I was looking at getting the new Artline Sigma 19mm but as yet no feedback I can find so may hang of a while.

Andy

Well speak of the devil..........The postman just knocked the door.......and the lens arrived in a bag, just a basic bag.  Not tested yet but surprised I didn't even have to sign for it.

Never mind.  I will test it later and update this thread.

Andy

icemanonline's gear list:icemanonline's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II
OP Steve Jamieson Junior Member • Posts: 44

icemanonline wrote:

icemanonline wrote:

Steve Jamieson wrote:

Is the lens any good,

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, I to am waiting after purchasing the E-PL5 double kit. Had an email also saying 28 days.

Andy

Well speak of the devil..........The postman just knocked the door.......and the lens arrived in a bag, just a basic bag. Not tested yet but surprised I didn't even have to sign for it.

Never mind. I will test it later and update this thread.

Andy

Hi, Got mine yesterday too. Seems to have a bit of CA but not too bad. Will be OK as soon as I learn how to remove the CA automatically in Lightroom. Used to use a little Minox GT with 35mm focal length and hope to get some similar pics from the 34mm equiv Oly lens. Steve.

Re: Received and taken some photos

I will post some tomorrow. Thoughts? Well:

• It's better than I was expecting, bearing in mind it is widely regarded as the red headed stepchild of the Olympus family
  • Stopped down to f5.6, it seemed fine across the frame
  • Contrary to how Olympus frame their promotion, I'd regard it as no more a street lens than I am a street photographer (hint: I'm not :-))
  • However, forced to use this FoV, it's pleasant enough for street scenery - wide enough for the big picture, bit narrow enough to stop a bleh sky creeping in when closer (and where the sky is therefore unwanted)
  • If you're used to the latest 14-42 or 12-50, then AF is going to seem a bit pedestrian.

Overall, it left me quite fancying the 17mm f1.8, and that is dangerous.

-- hide signature --
Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: Received and taken some photos

tinternaut wrote:

I will post some tomorrow. Thoughts? Well:

• It's better than I was expecting, bearing in mind it is widely regarded as the red headed stepchild of the Olympus family
  • Stopped down to f5.6, it seemed fine across the frame
  • Contrary to how Olympus frame their promotion, I'd regard it as no more a street lens than I am a street photographer (hint: I'm not :-))
  • However, forced to use this FoV, it's pleasant enough for street scenery - wide enough for the big picture, bit narrow enough to stop a bleh sky creeping in when closer (and where the sky is therefore unwanted)
  • If you're used to the latest 14-42 or 12-50, then AF is going to seem a bit pedestrian.

-- hide signature --

Olympus have been clever with there marketing then

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Re: Indeed...

I wouldn't be too surprised. If they've already written off the value of surplus stock of one lens, I guess it's reasonable enough to gamble the postage and packing on a few potential sales of its replacement, while also flogging a few additional cameras.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads