* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 271, 13 07 03 *

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
stephent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,893
Re: Sailing...

LouHolland wrote:

Stephent, you've put up this one before in this thread and we have discussed the grain in the sky and I remeber well I made an example without that grain as it is just only in the sky around the sailes. So what do you miss in earlier comments you decide to put it up again?

Lou

Hi mate,  sorry about that  in my defence I am away on holidays at the monument and had to resort to my phone to post. Had trouble with the image I wanted to post, this one would load, and I was not sure if I had posted it before. Well my boys call me a Gold fish and they might be right 

Does this mean I can post another?

And Zin it is a scan of an negative that I played around with in Snapseed.

Apologies.

Stephen.

Geoy Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: "Giant step for mankind"

I like the colour and scene and celebrations; the huge bone-like foot sculpture frames an affectionate couple in embrace and imparts a bit of mistery - it pauses me to reflect, that life with all it's ups and downs is a great adventure, and an occasion of this nature is a "giant step for mankind".

.Geoy.

Geoy's gear list:Geoy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8
OlyChamp
OlyChamp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
Re: A Paul Dibble Scultpure

Thanks for the look and comments :).  The sign says Regent on Broadway, our local big theatre. That camera was a dream for manual shooting, took many great night shots with it (I think it does night better than both the E500 and E620 - gulps)

As for eliminating the busy aspect by changing shooting locations pretty much a lose/lose situation as that street is really busy, unless I go after midnight.

Thane

-- hide signature --

E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp

LouHolland wrote:

Thane, as far as I well remeber I saw this image before. I don't know if it was a thread of your own or in a thread of an other and I also don't recall which reactions/comments you got on this one, but you clearly miss something in those comments, why else would you put it down here, so maybe you can give an explanation for this action. It's always good to know a bit more!!

Oh didn't realise I had, thought this was one of a few I was holding back on (rusty memory too)

However a prime lens could get you of the hook as it seperates your object from it surrounding and maybe you've to chose an angle away from the shopping centre. I don't know the colour version but in this B&W version your item is struggling to show well also.

Fixxxer has given me a challenge to actually go back with both E500 and E620 and get this better from a stand out point of view and better less cluttered background so it's been a win/win for me resubmitting it.  I'd do it tonight but it's raining so will leave it until the weather is right and tyhe street is empty of cars, and lights have been dimmed a little.

Lou

Thanks for looking and steering me straight and into another shoot.

Thane

-

Fixxxer wrote:

I think you captured the sculpture very well but what I don't get is the depth of focus you've got from an 4.5 aperture, which I'm guessing is more or less wide open on your UZ. Sure, the long shutter time tends to extend the depth but I can see right down the street as if I had my glasses on...

Anyhow, that's no critique, just an observation that surprises me a bit. What I like is the b/w, the star-looking shine in the lamps and how you've pictured the sculpture. As you said, the background is a bit busy and the flags waving behind the tuatara has become a bit blury from the long shutter speed, which quite immediate caught my eye. Other than that I think it looks pretty good!How does it look from the other way around? And what does that big sign above the lady say? (sorry, it's just that thing with signs and text in photos, you want to read them )

OlyChamp wrote:

Paul Dibble is a world renowned sculpturist who until recently lived in our city. He has a number of large sized sculptures dotted around the city. This image Lady and Tuatara is outside our Regent Theatre. The B&W treatment works better than the colour. Busy agree but hard to shoot without some background.

Thane

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
OlyChamp

Thanks Stephen, for rectifying the clutter/busy see comments above

Thane

-- hide signature --

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,247
Why not post another? Don't think there is a limit! (NT)

No text.

kallmalm Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Art object in the garden

I think this one looks fascinating, an interesting shape and I like the colour and mood as well. Definitely an interesting image. The composition works for me as well, maybe it could have been cropped a little bit closer but I am not sure if that would really do anything significant to the end result. It is a good image, plain and simple.

LouHolland wrote:

Art object in the garden, public grounds.

Thanks for looking&comments.

Lou

EXIF: E3, 14-54mm MII, 1/60, F6.3 iso 1600 + polarisatiefilter

-

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

kallmalm's gear list:kallmalm's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Olympus E-1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II

This one is a bit cluttered and the statue sort of vanishes in the background. This is one image that really would have benefitted from shorter DOF, something that should be doable with a DSLR and a longish lens. Of course I have never been to that place so that is just guesswork on my part but it is hard to do the statue real justice without separating it a bit from the background. If it is busy with people during regular hours, maybe shoot at night when most people are not out and about.

OlyChamp wrote:

Paul Dibble is a world renowned sculpturist who until recently lived in our city. He has a number of large sized sculptures dotted around the city. This image Lady and Tuatara is outside our Regent Theatre. The B&W treatment works better than the colour. Busy agree but hard to shoot without some background.

Thane

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

Re: Green, with Envy.

This one's really likeable with the cats in the window, the green colour and the state of the house. I think you did really well, maybe crop away a little bit at the top and a little bit at the right side.

Zindanfel wrote:

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

Hardangerbrua

A bridge over a fjord (Eidfjorden) in Norway.

-- hide signature --

/Daniel

Fixxxer
Fixxxer Regular Member • Posts: 291
Taking photos over Aurlandsfjord

My brother posted a similar photo about a week ago and got some good suggestions, so here's my take with the fisheye. Hope you have some good ideas for me too

Pentax K100D with 8mm Samyang fisheye (the brother took his photo where the Dutch people stand in this)

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 +9 more
LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,256
Just personal..

Hi Jason, while I'm a PP sucker, means maybe I'm not totally objective, I think sometimes it could be to much or to less. I know all the filters in the micro4/3 cams, as I own the E-PL1 also, but I'm also aware that a standard filter has it's own character which is not always an advantage or useable on an image. Sometimes to much effect and sometimes to less and I have the personal feeling that this filter is a bit to heavy for this building after seeing your other shots from the "Imperial War Museum". Giving the sky only a touch on that fantastic first shot of that Museum in you series shown here will possibly more effective: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51732737

Lou

tinternaut wrote:

Imperial War Museum North, ©2013 Jason Hindle

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,256
Re: Taking photos over Aurlandsfjord

Hi Fixxxer, nice vivid shot this time with a good balance. Sharpnes seems stil a minor problem as this image also have a rim on top of the mountains and som jaggies in the bowed line of that wooeden bridge, but we can live with it I guess. However through burning and dodging (this time dodging) you can brighten the top of the woods in the foreground which gives you more depth and separation. I don't really know if that ads to the image but I would probably try it. A nice shot from a place in a very nice country.

Lou

Fixxxer wrote:

My brother posted a similar photo about a week ago and got some good suggestions, so here's my take with the fisheye. Hope you have some good ideas for me too

Pentax K100D with 8mm Samyang fisheye (the brother took his photo where the Dutch people stand in this)

19andrew47
Re: Sailing...

Stephen, you took this and perhaps you know the answer?  On the closest boat there is a man sitting on the edge but there also appears to be another figure that at this size appears to be intertwined?

In any case, riding the side of a sail boat is not my idea of fun.  I take motion sickness medication on cruise ships so this activity is not my cup of tea.

Andrew

19andrew47

An interesting work of art.  You need a camera with a very fast lens to get some background isolation.  A fast legacy glass prime on your 620 perhaps?

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Green, with Envy.

Like the green and the image in the window.  I would also likely crop away a small section at the top and right sides.  Would a polarizing filter have helped reduce the reflections in the glass?  They are a bit of a distraction and if they could be eliminated the image would be improved from my perspective.  Getting the cats to co-operate and redo the sitting might be difficult though! 

The green colour has a nice tint.  Those cats have soiled the backs of those drapes!

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Art object in the garden

A nice object of art and nicely reflected in the pond.  The processing seems to be a bit mild from what I would expect from you Lou.  I think I would prefer it with a little more impact.  I took the liberty of giving it a go and it is below and will be removed (memory co-operating!) when I post next week's thread.

Andrew

reprocessed for c&c purpose only!

19andrew47
Re: Imperial War Museum

Interesting building.  Would slightly crop from the bottom to remove the white object below the building name.

Andrew

Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
The brick wall and the flowers

My first attempt with such kind of "two halfs" divided painting.

Lens: ZD 40-150-I.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1
Geoy Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: For the Love of the Grill

19andrew47 wrote:

From the 2009 Toronto International Autoshow, the CruiseNational winner. A monochrome and colour image from the same original.

Andrew

14 - 54 mm

Just to confuse the issue, a third variation with some colour.

Classic at it's best, when less is more.
This example of fine craftsmanship would make any carbuff heart race;
and super rendering pp is a potohog's delight.
Perhaps, you have one in it's entire shape to show?
Just awesome.
Geoy.

Geoy's gear list:Geoy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads