Concerned about articulated backs.

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
BaldCol Regular Member • Posts: 279
Concerned about articulated backs.
3

The new 70d has a fully articulated back. This seems to be the norm these days. However the hinge takes up a lot of space and I am concerned that when Canon announce the replacement to the 7d they will include an articulated back at the expense of buttons.

I like having lots of buttons because to me it makes control of the camera much easier and quicker that having to dive into menus, etc all the time. So overall, as much as the articulated back is useful if it is at the expense of the buttons on the back of the 7d I won't be happy.

Anyone else think that Canon are going to make me sad?

 BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
3

I hope not. I have the 60D with articulating screen & it is very handy for me as I can't bend low because of knee & back problems. I also have the 7D & the controls are briliantly laid out. I think an articulating screenat the expense of the current layout, would be a backward step IMO.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

 happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Canoman21 Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

The idea was a bit 'soccer-mum' when they chucked it on the 60D but the usefulness outweighs the cons.

You can tuck it into the camera back and treat it like the old 7D 5D's 40D 50D etc of old, or just use the EOS app and view on a smart phone and control the functions / live view / image review that way.

The hinged screen is there if you need it and if you don't then that fine.

I hope it makes it to the 7D2 - along with the WiFi (which obviously it will) - as the feature is very useful if you take advantage of it.

 Canoman21's gear list:Canoman21's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
OP BaldCol Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
2

Canoman21 wrote:

The idea was a bit 'soccer-mum' when they chucked it on the 60D but the usefulness outweighs the cons.

You can tuck it into the camera back and treat it like the old 7D 5D's 40D 50D etc of old, or just use the EOS app and view on a smart phone and control the functions / live view / image review that way.

The hinged screen is there if you need it and if you don't then that fine.

I hope it makes it to the 7D2 - along with the WiFi (which obviously it will) - as the feature is very useful if you take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong. Articulated screens are a good thing. I just don't want it to be at the expense of the current contols.

 BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,864
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
1

BaldCol wrote:

Canoman21 wrote:

The idea was a bit 'soccer-mum' when they chucked it on the 60D but the usefulness outweighs the cons.

You can tuck it into the camera back and treat it like the old 7D 5D's 40D 50D etc of old, or just use the EOS app and view on a smart phone and control the functions / live view / image review that way.

The hinged screen is there if you need it and if you don't then that fine.

I hope it makes it to the 7D2 - along with the WiFi (which obviously it will) - as the feature is very useful if you take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong. Articulated screens are a good thing. I just don't want it to be at the expense of the current contols.

+1 The control buttons are great but so is an articulated screen. Canon does listen and get it right a lot of the time. The 7D Mk II would be so much better with the articulated screen but I'd still get it over the 70D for all the other rumored features.

 riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
1

the two things I didn't really want on my 60d when I got it 18 months ago.. articulated screen and the lock-button on the mode switch...as with most everything else..one must 'adapt' so the lock-button I just live with... as far as the articulated screen... I maybe used it a couple of times mainly to turn it around to protect the LCD.. I never use the LCD to take pics.. and NEVER do video with my SLR so for me it was a waste to have... I'd rather have it without the articulated screen.. I would doubt if a 7dII if and when it ever comes out will have it unlike the new 70d

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

 Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
ParadiseGarden Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, I've used a number of cameras with articulated backs and it has never bothered me. Some people love them and use them a lot. I personally have never felt the need for them but still don't mind having it.

Pritzl Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

BaldCol wrote:

Canoman21 wrote:

The idea was a bit 'soccer-mum' when they chucked it on the 60D but the usefulness outweighs the cons.

You can tuck it into the camera back and treat it like the old 7D 5D's 40D 50D etc of old, or just use the EOS app and view on a smart phone and control the functions / live view / image review that way.

The hinged screen is there if you need it and if you don't then that fine.

I hope it makes it to the 7D2 - along with the WiFi (which obviously it will) - as the feature is very useful if you take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong. Articulated screens are a good thing. I just don't want it to be at the expense of the current contols.

Don't forget that it's a very sensitive touchscreen too. So, unless you are wearing really thick gloves you have a lot more "buttons" on the 70D. You just have to push Q first. for me that's a small price to pay in order to save ~$800, the likely price premium for 7D II.

 Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
OP BaldCol Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
1

ParadiseGarden wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a deal, I've used a number of cameras with articulated backs and it has never bothered me. Some people love them and use them a lot. I personally have never felt the need for them but still don't mind having it.

Again I repeat, I have nothing against articulated backs! What I was wondering is whether the space taken up by the hinge will result in less physical buttons on a 7D MkII if it comes with such a screen.

 BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,682
Articulating screen very useful for macro, tripod at odd position
1

Serious back saver. I don't shoot movies, so I don't use it a lot, but the screen does help greatly when photographing near the ground, at the high point of the tripod (I am short), when making zenith and near-zenith shots, etc. I learned exactly how useful the articulating screen is when I tried the 6D in astrophotography shots. Many annoying contortions later, I had my photos, but I must say that the experience would have been improved greatly if the 6D had had the articulating screen. Yes, I know that I could use a right angle finder - what I would need would be a combination LCD loupe with right angle mirror, because that's where I do my focusing for macro and astro, on the 10x magnified view on the LCD.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

 NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,697
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
2

happysnapper64 wrote:

I hope not. I have the 60D with articulating screen & it is very handy for me as I can't bend low because of knee & back problems. I also have the 7D & the controls are briliantly laid out. I think an articulating screenat the expense of the current layout, would be a backward step IMO.

Articulated screen does not affect button layout.

It's a great feature that only adds usefulness and versatility to the camera. There is no downside. It's also safer than non-articulated because it can be rotated inward to fully protect the screen, and grouchy old guys who hate new stuff can simply leave it in neutral position and never use the articulation.

 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
asad137 Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.
1

Tapper123 wrote:

Articulated screen does not affect button layout.

It's a great feature that only adds usefulness and versatility to the camera. There is no downside.

I am a big fan of articulated screens and it's one of the reasons I chose a 60D over a D7000, but let's be honest -- it DOES affect button layout as you cannot put a row of buttons down the left hand side of the back of the camera with the hinge in that location. To think otherwise is ignoring reality. And putting the hinge at the bottom (as Nikon did with the D5000) has downsides, which is why they moved it to the left side on the D5100. And when they did, that row of buttons down the left had to go somewhere else.

candidchaser New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

As has already been brought up, the touch-screen offers more virtual buttons than you can fit around the hinge area. This is a great feature on the Rebels/xxxd and you'd only miss the physical buttons if you need to press them while having your eyes glued to the optical viewfinder.

f64manray Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

Well, then the buttons must go somewhere else because trying to push the 7DII as a cinema device without a flip screen would be an epic fail.  But what the hec, they gave us the 70D with all this improved focus for movie mode, and left off the headphone jack so you can't monitor that nice mic you just plugged in to the mic jack on the 70D.  Another Epic fail.  Thanks, Canon.

 f64manray's gear list:f64manray's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 550D +3 more
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,676
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

f64manray wrote:

Well, then the buttons must go somewhere else because trying to push the 7DII as a cinema device without a flip screen would be an epic fail. But what the hec, they gave us the 70D with all this improved focus for movie mode, and left off the headphone jack so you can't monitor that nice mic you just plugged in to the mic jack on the 70D. Another Epic fail. Thanks, Canon.

Anyone who is at all serious about video has installed Magic lantern firmware, which (in addition to countless other incredible features) transforms the mini-USB jack to a headphone jack with a special cable that can easily be made.

Hopefully the geniuses at ML will have a 70D version soon...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

Tapper123 wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

I hope not. I have the 60D with articulating screen & it is very handy for me as I can't bend low because of knee & back problems. I also have the 7D & the controls are briliantly laid out. I think an articulating screenat the expense of the current layout, would be a backward step IMO.

Articulated screen does not affect button layout.

It's a great feature that only adds usefulness and versatility to the camera. There is no downside. It's also safer than non-articulated because it can be rotated inward to fully protect the screen, and grouchy old guys who hate new stuff can simply leave it in neutral position and never use the articulation.

I think it does affect button in the sense that the joystick is gone.  I use that heavily with my 7D, and this camera has a similar number of AF points.  It's more button clicks to do the same task which was one of my main gripes about the 60D

 Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
f64manray Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Concerned about articulated backs.

skanter wrote:

f64manray wrote:

Well, then the buttons must go somewhere else because trying to push the 7DII as a cinema device without a flip screen would be an epic fail. But what the hec, they gave us the 70D with all this improved focus for movie mode, and left off the headphone jack so you can't monitor that nice mic you just plugged in to the mic jack on the 70D. Another Epic fail. Thanks, Canon.

Anyone who is at all serious about video has installed Magic lantern firmware, which (in addition to countless other incredible features) transforms the mini-USB jack to a headphone jack with a special cable that can easily be made.

Hopefully the geniuses at ML will have a 70D version soon...

Well, maybe as I get more serious, I'll rely on third party hackers (as magical as they are) to supply features for my cam.  Until then, the GH3 & D7100 supply a headphone jack from the manufacturer.  I expect Canon to pull their head out and do the same at this price point.  And of course, ML will never supply a flip screen.

 f64manray's gear list:f64manray's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 550D +3 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,333
Articulated screens are fine by me.
1

No problem whatsoever for me.

SelSol
SelSol Regular Member • Posts: 199
I'll buy a hat and eat it...
1

if the new 7d has an articulated screen.  The 7d's party piece is its build, and if you look at any piece of professional equipment in any market, they all have fixed screens for durability. Ever seen a piece of site equipment with a flip out screen? I

 SelSol's gear list:SelSol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +2 more
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837
Why no buttons on the frame of the screen?

Everybody happy.

And a flippy screen has nothing to do with professionalism but with build quality.

A professional grade flippy screen maybe?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads