Any Questions Regarding my New Harper's BAZAAR Editorial

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
Benjamin Kanarek
OP Benjamin Kanarek Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
Re: For Benjamin

Paul Jones wrote:

Hi Benjamin

Thank-you for posting your updates onto the forum. Much appreciated.

Best regards
Paul

-- hide signature --

My pleasure, absolutely!

Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +18 more
IonPortraits
IonPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Any Questions Regarding my New Harper's BAZAAR Editorial

Keep the yellow shoe behind the dress completely and you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

ionportraits.gr
facebook.com/ionportraits

Benjamin Kanarek

IonPortraits wrote:

Keep the yellow shoe behind the dress completely and you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

ionportraits.gr
facebook.com/ionportraits

That yellow shoe is the thread running throughout the story

robertorinehart Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Thanks for answering these questions, really informative!

27shutterclicks Junior Member • Posts: 37

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

RichyjV wrote:

Nice! She looks like she is right on top of the background by the shadows at the bottom, so with that light on her face (which doesn't look small single source at the front, but also doesn't look 90 degree from the side) I can't quite see why there aren't shadows slightly to the left and right of her, unless they have been removed in pp? I appreciate you might not want to share your setup, so thanks for posting a great image either way!

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Just a single source very large silver umbrella with a beauty dish in the center.

So is it a single source or two? Like a beauty dish inside an umbrella, both firing? Or a single umbrella with a reflector inside that makes it work more like a beauty dish?

Thanks.

Benjamin Kanarek

27shutterclicks wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

RichyjV wrote:

Nice! She looks like she is right on top of the background by the shadows at the bottom, so with that light on her face (which doesn't look small single source at the front, but also doesn't look 90 degree from the side) I can't quite see why there aren't shadows slightly to the left and right of her, unless they have been removed in pp? I appreciate you might not want to share your setup, so thanks for posting a great image either way!

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Just a single source very large silver umbrella with a beauty dish in the center.

So is it a single source or two? Like a beauty dish inside an umbrella, both firing? Or a single umbrella with a reflector inside that makes it work more like a beauty dish?

Thanks.

For this, yes...

PixelMover Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Hi Benjamin,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to write here. I'm an admirer of your work and I think it is great that a well-established fashion photographer is actually kind enough to come here and answer questions.

My question is about the background. Personally I love shooting against a darkish greay seamless. And you often see this in high end fashion magazines. I think it is especially effective if you want to draw all the attention to the clothes. But I have so far never worked for an editor who asked me (or allowed me to) shoot against a background like this.

Mostly they argue it looks 'cheap' while I think it looks classy. So was this your decision or the editor's decision?

Benjamin Kanarek

PixelMover wrote:

Hi Benjamin,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to write here. I'm an admirer of your work and I think it is great that a well-established fashion photographer is actually kind enough to come here and answer questions.

My question is about the background. Personally I love shooting against a darkish greay seamless. And you often see this in high end fashion magazines. I think it is especially effective if you want to draw all the attention to the clothes. But I have so far never worked for an editor who asked me (or allowed me to) shoot against a background like this.

Mostly they argue it looks 'cheap' while I think it looks classy. So was this your decision or the editor's decision?

Just say..."Look at today's work of 'David Sims' VOGUE USA, Richard Avedon VOGUE, Irving Penn VOGUE, Cecil Beaton VOGUE..etc...etc...etc...

In fact it is the ipso facto Graphic Code for both VOGUE & Harper's BAZAAR USA...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads