is something wrong with my camera?

Started Jul 2, 2013 | Discussions
bzx Regular Member • Posts: 231
is something wrong with my camera?

Hey all,

The below photo is done with NEX-5 at ISO 800, RAW, overexposed in Lightroom on purpose - I am okay with enormous noise at this light conditions but I don't understand why there are noticeable lines (of noise) across the whole frame.. they are still visible when I reduce the exposure to the point where I want the image to be.

I don't remember such situation with other shots at similar iso (or even higher)..

Is there something wrong with the camera?

Thanks for any possible clarifications.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mkandil Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: is something wrong with my camera?

How much it was overexposed ? if this was not noticeable in previous shots then mostly it is not the camera fault.

it will be better if u post the original shot.

mkandil's gear list:mkandil's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +1 more
uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,842

You mean the vertical lines , hanging down like curtains, am I correct?

When a picture gets completely blown in capture or through pp as yours is, then all hell will break loose and what breaks up the worst is up to anyone's guess.

In real life and photography, you will never get anything that bad or you would delete the mishap.

Really who cares how the picture blows up, self-destroys when you deliberately destroy it with going over the sensor parameter edge big time.

Have fun with hurting your pics, though, if you like them afterwards. - 0.3 EV in exposure and + 2 EV in Lightroom will do wonders for this curtain effect on your model, or so it appears. Play with it then!

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,680

bzx wrote:

Hey all,

The below photo is done with NEX-5 at ISO 800, RAW, overexposed in Lightroom on purpose - I am okay with enormous noise at this light conditions but I don't understand why there are noticeable lines (of noise) across the whole frame.. they are still visible when I reduce the exposure to the point where I want the image to be.

There's the key - "Overexposed in Lightroom".    You just pushed too far.

I don't remember such situation with other shots at similar iso (or even higher)..

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
GaryR60 Contributing Member • Posts: 656

bzx wrote:

Hey all,

Well, it's a raster image, so my guess is that's why. They're raster lines that don't ordinarily show up in most photos. When a digital image is formed, whether on your computer screen or on your sensor, there is a scan that occurs and, of course, like TV screen, it's formed a pixel at a time across and then down to the next row and across again, etc. It just happens very, very quickly. On occasion, I've had a few shots in which I had a digital artifact that consisted of what appeared to be a short horizontal line segment made up of individual pixels. This only became visible when I zoomed in on the image in post production editing, though. At 800 ISO, you'll tend to get a bit of noise and, of course, how you process the image can accentuate this noise.

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads