What Just Happened?

Started Jun 29, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Gary Eickmeier Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479
What Just Happened?

Did your DPR site just get smaller, with a wrap-around ad frame?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,254
I suspect you have some form of maleware

Try Spy Bot (free download) and kaspersky free scan (it will only scan once then uninstall but it is a very good program).  Also Roguekiller.

-- hide signature --

Hindsight is better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Gary Eickmeier OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479
Re: I suspect you have some form of maleware

rsn48 wrote:

Try Spy Bot (free download) and kaspersky free scan (it will only scan once then uninstall but it is a very good program).  Also Roguekiller.

I don't think so. Same on two different computers. Here is what I am seeing:

Is that what you have?

Gary Eickmeier

Joseph T Lewis III Senior Member • Posts: 2,879
Mine Is Doing It Too....

I was in the "old" view of DPR.  When I saw the original post, I exited DPR and then brought it up again.

I'm seeing an Amazon ad across the top, with a  lot of gray space on either side of the DPR forum stuff. The ads on the right side and my login ID info is there just like it used to be.  Only difference is a fair amount of gray blank space on either side.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
gene thomson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201
Re: Mine Is Doing It Too....

Press Ctrl and rotate the mouse thumbwheel to get the size you want.

-- hide signature --
Antioch Senior Member • Posts: 2,004
Re: On Windows Machine, Press CTRL plus + to make Site bigger

and Ctrl Plus - to make the site smaller.

DonA2
DonA2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,695
Re: Mine Is Doing It Too....

gene thomson wrote:

Press Ctrl and rotate the mouse thumbwheel to get the size you want.

-- hide signature --

If only all internet fixes were so quick and easy.  Didn't need personally but good to know.

 DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more
Joseph T Lewis III Senior Member • Posts: 2,879
Re: On Windows Machine, Press CTRL plus + to make Site bigger

Antioch wrote:

and Ctrl Plus - to make the site smaller.

This is NOT a solution to whatever happened. Doing the control key and mouse wheel thing affects the size of the fonts (blows everything up or shrinks it down). Left alone the ads, messages, etc are still of the same size and clarity; it's not like they were shrunk down or anything.  The readability and usefulness of the site continues to be fine, at least for me.

The only difference I can see is that there seems to be some wasted gray space on either side that wasn't there before.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Re: What Just Happened?

Yes, I have a banner of Amazon adds at the top. However, most "free" sites are going that way, i.e. adding targeted ads to the page. Doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing similar ads on many sites now.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Gary Eickmeier OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479
Re: What Just Happened?

Daisy AU wrote:

Yes, I have a banner of Amazon adds at the top. However, most "free" sites are going that way, i.e. adding targeted ads to the page. Doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing similar ads on many sites now.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Well, on a PHOTO site where a lot of pictures are posted it bothers me a lot to have my page shrunk down with no explanation.

Moderators, what just happened?

PS, the mouse trick was great - thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

AllMankind
AllMankind Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Re: I suspect you have some form of maleware

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Is that what you have?

Nope.

Might want to try an ad-blocker.  VERY effective.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 4,904
Re: What Just Happened?

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Yes, I have a banner of Amazon adds at the top. However, most "free" sites are going that way, i.e. adding targeted ads to the page. Doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing similar ads on many sites now.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Well, on a PHOTO site where a lot of pictures are posted it bothers me a lot to have my page shrunk down with no explanation.

Moderators, what just happened?

PS, the mouse trick was great - thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

We didn't change anything. The fixed width of the site has been the same since 2008, when it got slightly wider than it had been since 1998.  What you're talking about is the size of your browser window.

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

 Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 4,904
Re: I suspect you have some form of maleware
4

AllMankind wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Is that what you have?

Nope.

Might want to try an ad-blocker. VERY effective.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

It's kind of ironic that those who complain loudest about problems with DPR are also the ones that actively take steps to ensure that they do not to contribute to its upkeep.

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

 Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
DonA2
DonA2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,695
Re: What Just Happened?

Simon Joinson wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Yes, I have a banner of Amazon adds at the top. However, most "free" sites are going that way, i.e. adding targeted ads to the page. Doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing similar ads on many sites now.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Well, on a PHOTO site where a lot of pictures are posted it bothers me a lot to have my page shrunk down with no explanation.

Moderators, what just happened

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

We didn't change anything. The fixed width of the site has been the same since 2008, when it got slightly wider than it had been since 1998. What you're talking about is the size of your browser window.

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Browsers do behave very differently.  Chrome works well on this site, IE10 not so much.  There may be some hope for us IE diehards with the announcement of IE11, comming soon.  Will it kill of cure?

 DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads