Will the D600 be updated soon?

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Discussions
eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Will the D600 be updated soon?

I've been thinking... with all the shutter replacements Nikon service has been making lately and the mixed-to-bad WOM the D600 has been getting because of the "oil/dust issue", do you think Nikon might release a quickie update with a fix to that issue and maybe a couple of minor tweaks to the sensor performance... or even with the 51 point AF system the D7100 just got. They would call it the D610 and revive the excitement about the FX entry camera? Hmm? Maybe? What do you think?

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Knisely Senior Member • Posts: 2,053
Re: Will the D600 be updated soon?

Although history suggests it won't be replaced, I suspect it will.  There are too many low-hanging fruit improvements that would make it much more competitive and Nikon is getting increasingly aggressive in introductions and promotions.

Doug

 D Knisely's gear list:D Knisely's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Hé, they told us they would solve it if affected?

I know they cannot fix it completely. But as long as Nikon believes it costs more to solve it they will stay in state of denial.

On the other hand, if they do have a d610 or so, or if they bring the 24 mp with a d800 body, i will sell the d7100 at once.

Lock

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,670
It's been fixed for some time.

Sigh. The problem was fixed some time ago in production. No new model soon! Including myself, I know 6 pros that use it and love it. No problems. Any different model is probably at least a year away, maybe a year and a half. Some of the early users got burned, but those that kept trying got their camera fixed by Nikon.

Do you have a D600, eNO?

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
eNo
OP eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Re: Will the D600 be updated soon?

D Knisely wrote:

Although history suggests it won't be replaced, I suspect it will. There are too many low-hanging fruit improvements that would make it much more competitive and Nikon is getting increasingly aggressive in introductions and promotions.

That's what I'm thinking. The D700 sat there for a very long time, but the D600 has another purpose, I think, to be more like the D5xxx which gets updated incrementally and minorly much more often. We'll see.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

eNo
OP eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Re: It's been fixed for some time.

Steve Bingham wrote:

Sigh. The problem was fixed some time ago in production. No new model soon! Including myself, I know 6 pros that use it and love it. No problems. Any different model is probably at least a year away, maybe a year and a half. Some of the early users got burned, but those that kept trying got their camera fixed by Nikon.

Do you have a D600, eNO?

I have 2, actually, and love them. Both with "the issue," both stellar performers for me. I love to clean sensors -- well, not really, but still -- so the cleanings haven't been too terrible. Oh, and add me to your list of pros using it.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

TOR8472 Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: I doubt it, but would buy it

I doubt Nikon will do it, but put the D7100 AF system in the D610 and I will buy one. Right now I'm waiting to see what the D400 brings before I decide if I go D800 or D400 with my next purchase. Nikon is close, but they haven't put out exactly the right camera yet to entice me to upgrade.

 TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: I doubt it, but would buy it

What I can't figure out is why when Nikon has something that is trouble free and working in one model, why they have to re-invent the wheel with a troublesome feature in a new model.

 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Leave the sighs to us Steve.

You obviously haven't had the experience we had/still have.

Some of my friends (5 to be specific) have bought a d600 in May. One actually at beginning of June. All but one had the shutter replaced by now, two of them twice!!, and still get bugged by oil. All latest serial numbers from Europe.

The fun thing is Nikon intitially said most of these bodies were not affected. Yet the oil was dripping off the sensor. Nikon must have had an idea which serial numbers were affected (...by dust or not).

So these cams came back from an internal clean up and a clean swap of the sensor at first. When the issue returned within a couple of 100 frames, Nikon responded with "send it in, we will fix it". Now why would they say that...? They weren't affected, were they?
After fixing one and sometimes two shutters, the game is on again. It happens, really. And do not count on Nikon. My friends are begging for a replacement or a refund...no responsebut: "send it in please".

I admit in most cases the dust issues are solved with replacing the shutter. But not the oil issue. If it wasn't for this, I would immediately trade in my D7100 for a third d600 (yes I tried again too). Because in too many aspects, the D600 is soo superior to the d7100. Even the poor AF of the D600 is mostly just a story. Even in crop mode compared to the cropped d7100 seonsor (I know some d7100 lovers will disagree).

They may have reduced the rate of affected d600's, but they surely did not solve the entire issue. Until then, I will keep a couple of euros in my pocket and wait for a d610 or whatever comes with this great sensor.

lock

eNo
OP eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Drip, drip, drip

Dripping off the sensor, heh? Not the only thing that's dripping.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

eNo
OP eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Re: I doubt it, but would buy it

Ernie Misner wrote:

What I can't figure out is why when Nikon has something that is trouble free and working in one model, why they have to re-invent the wheel with a troublesome feature in a new model.

Which troublesome feature would that be?

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Actually, if it would drip off...

..the problem would solve itself. It doesn't. Drip,drip...

Actually, I just saw the 70D specs. If they happen to have uppe the low iso DR somehow....

lock

golf1982 Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: Actually, if it would drip off...

lock wrote:

..the problem would solve itself. It doesn't. Drip,drip...

Actually, I just saw the 70D specs. If they happen to have uppe the low iso DR somehow....

lock

Isnt the 70d dx???

Shangri La
Shangri La Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: Will the D600 be updated soon?

eNo wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. The D700 sat there for a very long time, but the D600 has another purpose, I think, to be more like the D5xxx which gets updated incrementally and minorly much more often. We'll see.

Very good point. Plus the oil/dust is never really resolved, we might see the updated model earlier than usual.

 Shangri La's gear list:Shangri La's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D5000 Nikon D750 Phase One Capture One Pro Apple iPhone X
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Yep.

and it if they upped the low iso DR it will stirr up the competion with Nikon because it is faster and it has a very good AF. Talk about a good action Dx camera..we will see how the tests end up.

lock

eNo
OP eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
70D DOA because... D7100 is already out
1

lock wrote:

and it if they upped the low iso DR it will stirr up the competion with Nikon because it is faster and it has a very good AF. Talk about a good action Dx camera..we will see how the tests end up.

lock

Basing impressions just on rumored specs, mind you, the D7100 is already 3 to 10 steps ahead of the 70D in most specs (AF points, resolution, body strength, ...).

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,818
I wished they would

eNo wrote:

I've been thinking... with all the shutter replacements Nikon service has been making lately and the mixed-to-bad WOM the D600 has been getting because of the "oil/dust issue", do you think Nikon might release a quickie update with a fix to that issue and maybe a couple of minor tweaks to the sensor performance... or even with the 51 point AF system the D7100 just got. They would call it the D610 and revive the excitement about the FX entry camera? Hmm? Maybe? What do you think?

I actually lost interest in the D600. If I were to get an FF now it'd be the D800E, but I'm saving money for a while. I wished the D600s or whatever it's called would use the better AF, drop AA filter (Sony just did it with the updated RX1R with same sensor), possibly a few updates on the video side, like aperture control, and that'd be a good camera for me.

The sooner the better, but I'm likely waiting until next year anyway.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,818
Re: 70D DOA because... D7100 is already out

eNo wrote:

lock wrote:

and it if they upped the low iso DR it will stirr up the competion with Nikon because it is faster and it has a very good AF. Talk about a good action Dx camera..we will see how the tests end up.

lock

Basing impressions just on rumored specs, mind you, the D7100 is already 3 to 10 steps ahead of the 70D in most specs (AF points, resolution, body strength, ...).

Well, Canons still sell a lot ...

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
Re: I doubt it, but would buy it

Ernie Misner wrote:

What I can't figure out is why when Nikon has something that is trouble free and working in one model, why they have to re-invent the wheel with a troublesome feature in a new model.

Cost cutting maybe, and looking for the cheapest bid for their components? It also gives them an excuse to sell you yet another grip and battery.

 Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Are you sure ?

It is supposed to get 19 af sensors, but all of them are cross type (15 in d7100) and spread across the frame in stead of packed in the middle. And it looks like it gets a modern very fast AF system in live view too, although I thought this would be the kiss from the 7DM2.
I do not think the 70d will be much worse in terms of built quality. May be less weather sealing, but it isn't going to be a toy like the 60D I hope. And we haven't seen the sensor yet, so let's wait before we judge.

lock

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads