Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?

Started Jun 28, 2013 | Questions
Snap Judgements
Snap Judgements Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Is the Ricoh GR truly pocketable?

Snap Judgements wrote:

Rigby wrote:

I'm in a position where I can't first play with a GR before buying it and I really want to know if it is a camera that can actually fit in my pocket. Is it something I could put in my (relatively tight) jeans pocket and walk around with without being annoyed by?

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have it!

The GR V is not pocketable in the manner you described. The Canon S110 might do that for you.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#384,454

Looks like quite a few think the camera is pocketable. Yes, if you wear cargo shorts. Yes if you are wearing rodeo clown pants. Yes if you are placing in jacket pocket. No for most others unless you are not liking your camera too much and want to jam it in there real good. I am sure that in a tight pocket there are stressors put on the camera that will eventually effect performance, dust being the least of them.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,158

wbrandsma wrote:

You never fail to forget and mention it, do you Tom?

We are practically neighbours now and when we photograph together you always warn me how to keep my cameras safe from dust. You delibaretily moved to the Netherlands in 2008, because you thought I did something wrong with my GX100 in 2007 (I still think you know how often I had dust in that camera). I still thank you for that. What I learned from you that it is best to keep my camera home in the box, sealed that is. We discovered, well you did,
that I never had my camera in my jeans pockets, but instead always had the camera ready in my hand. Always ON, with the lens extracted. It just had to be electricity of some sort. First suggestion was to use no battery to reduce the Voltage within me, but that left me unhappy. I saw numerous photo opportunities, but everytime I came home without images. The second suggestion was to stay home and spent more time on dpreview instead. That worked very well, again thank you Tom, but left my wife unhappy. I neglected her and my kids.

When Tom returned to Australia. I picked up photography again. Since then I never had dust again. So best things to do are, don't keep a camera in your jeans pocket and when still concerned invite Tom instead for a beer (although he is not really a party man).
--
Wouter Brandsma
http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/

Oh! It was you that had all that trouble with dust in the camera Wouter.  Glad that you don't have it any more.  I guess that I was only trying to be helpful.  Was it just poor QC at assembly time as you thought?  I can accept that.

My R4 was covered in dust so many times that I lost count.  So I sort of figured out that if dust in dry conditions didn't get into the camera then there might have been a climate difference problem.  Or maybe I just have been lucky and my cameras passed QC.

Sorry if you thought I was referring to you, maybe I should just have merely said that putting a camera into a pocket carries a few risks so if you can't be good be careful.

Now who was it that put a key through the leaves of his GRD lens cover, maybe I can insult him as well?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 547

Russell Dawkins wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Yes the camera will fit in a jeans pocket, I just slip it into a small draw string micro-fibre bag first.

Any tips on a well-fitting micro-fibre bag, please?

Sorry don't know. I use a 'small'  bag of protective neoprene. By the way, my display (NEX5) was damaged when I used micro-fibre for cleaning. So I am not really interested in any micro-fibre bags

Encl. info.

Russell Dawkins wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Yes the camera will fit in a jeans pocket, I just slip it into a small draw string micro-fibre bag first.

Russell

I just bought a pack of three cheap ones on eBay, sorry that I have lost the reference.  They don't cost much, were well enough made.  I only see it as a temporary solution until I figure out a suitable belt case.  My thoughts are that they don't have to be a precise fit as long as they are not too floppy.  If they are too tight then getting the camera in and out could be difficult.  The ones I have are 11x17 cm  and relatively loose. They are made of much the same material as lens polishing cloth and therefore not scratch, I don't think they will accumulate lint or dust particularly. When the camera is out and in use the bag folds away easily and can be pocketed.

(Shock horror) Yes I have put the camera in my pocket inside one of these bags.

Not much use as a carry bag, more a soft sleeve, therefore they don't need to be a tailored fit.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Sabud wrote:

Russell Dawkins wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sorry don't know. I use a 'small' bag of protective neoprene. By the way, my display (NEX5) was damaged when I used micro-fibre for cleaning. So I am not really interested in any micro-fibre bags

Encl. info.

Ouch!

I have used micro-fibre cloths for cleaning lenses and screens for years without problem.  I think that there is must be "micro-fibre" and micro-fibre.  I have a number of cloths specifically sold or given away to me as lens cleaning cloths.  These are the ones I have used for cleaning - presuming that they were recommended for the purpose. On the other hand I bought a pack of "micro-fibre" cloths thinking that I might use them to do the same job and after having a look at them I was not so sure  (different material).  The bags I bought seem to be made of the same cloth as the lens cloths that I have  - soft and suede-like to touch.

I don't have a NEX5 but have a NEX6 and I have used made-for-lens-cleaning cloths to wipe off finger marks with them to no apparent problem so far.

I am not sure of the lcd covering here.  Mine looks like it is a hard cover plate but yours looks more like a coating that is coming off. I know that the early GRDIII and GXR models used the same Sony sourced screens as the NEX and that they have problems with the anti-glare coating crazing  and I believe that the same generation NEX cameras had a similar problem.  However the damage that you show here doesn't quite look like the damage on my cameras and tthe NEX5 is probably a later model that should be immune from that problem

Sorry to see your damage, it does look a bit ugly.

My bags look ok and there are expensive Matin brand microfibre bags that I bought to try as well.  They are lined and have toggles.  But they were too large for the purpose as the GR "disappeared" into it and there was too much overall bulk to put the bag and camera in pocket.  The 11x17 cm simple unlined bags of suede-like microfibre are a cheap,  light and easily stowed solution and I am not going to be cleaning the camera with them.  Of course they are useless for protection for knocks and swipes but good enough to protect from surface abrasion and scratches.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Snap Judgements

Sabud wrote:

Russell Dawkins wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sorry don't know. I use a 'small'  bag of protective neoprene. By the way, my display (NEX5) was damaged when I used micro-fibre for cleaning. So I am not really interested in any micro-fibre bags

Encl. info.

thanks for sharing this information. I bet a screen protector to cover that entire area would have been the only to have prevented, but who would have known?

aleksanderpolo wrote:

I don't know. Heard from two that they have encountered dust issue, so far nothing on mine yet (touch wood) When the camera is not in my pocket, it is either in my case or placed LCD upwards, not sure if this helps. Bottom line: it is not completely dust proof, so the worst case is to send it to Ricoh for cleaning when the inevitable happens. I guess it is still better than D600

ashenwreck wrote:

Is there a dust concern getting inside doing this or is it strictly related to when the lens is extended out? A rather newb-ish question, I realize.

Aleksander

The question of dust in lens is fraught.  Most people have no problem.  Wouter unfortunately had a bad trot with some GX100's  (I think) a while ago and was a bit annoyed then and now when some suggested that it came from pocket lint as he never carried his cameras in a pocket.  This was never meant as a censure of anyone doing so but more "trying to help" by eliminating possibilities. I suggested that in different climates with heated premises hot/cold and protective clothing that it might be possible to build up static charge on the camera that might suck dust into it.   But no one else seemed to think this a problem.  I don't seem to have had a similar problem in less centrally heated either very dry or very wet and nothing much in-between Australia.  But maybe I have just been lucky, or not looked hard enough.

I think Ricoh were supportive and helped him out.  I did not mean to imply that there was any real problem there but more to mention that the GR is an eminently pocketable camera but doing so carries its risks and it is simply a case of do as you wish.  In reality there is unlikely to be any problem with cameras in pockets unless someone is really careless.

I will not mention the keys through the lens leaves problem again unless I get into further trouble but you get the gist of it.

I have a Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 "trombone" lens.  This is capable of very rapid extension and contraction and is a fine lens.  But it is known as a "dust pump" as quite a lot of  air has to go somewhere very quickly.  But it never has given me a problem either, perhaps I just don't look hard enough (as I said).  The extension and contraction of any Ricoh lens is very slow and wimpy by comparison.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Snap Judgements wrote:

Snap Judgements wrote:

Rigby wrote:

I'm in a position where I can't first play with a GR before buying it and I really want to know if it is a camera that can actually fit in my pocket. Is it something I could put in my (relatively tight) jeans pocket and walk around with without being annoyed by?

The GR V is not pocketable in the manner you described. The Canon S110 might do that for you.

Looks like quite a few think the camera is pocketable. Yes, if you wear cargo shorts. Yes if you are wearing rodeo clown pants. Yes if you are placing in jacket pocket. No for most others unless you are not liking your camera too much and want to jam it in there real good. I am sure that in a tight pocket there are stressors put on the camera that will eventually effect performance, dust being the least of them.

The earlier Ricoh cameras could be switched on accidentally either in case or pocket and would gaily extend their lens until it jammed.  Somewhere along the line I believe Ricoh introduced a pressure limiting cutout so it should no longer be a problem.  Of course it would have to be a freak accident to do so.  I did once accidentally switch on an earlier GRD when fumblng to get it out of a belt case but it caused no real problem other than a bit of temporary excitement.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

mack13 wrote:

I don't have a dust problem because I can't find one to purchase. B&H told me they have no idea when they will be available.

Damn, they made 100 and sold out already (grin)

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
Q2: How many GRs can fit in a continent?

According to Ricoh's operational and distribution departments, just one.

In Australia, Ricoh has sent just 1 (one) GR camera for a preview, for everyone interested to try it.

Apparently vblogger Blunty had fiercest fists to get it for a couple of hours.

People at Pentax Ricoh were apparently confused, when they have discovered that there are more continents than what they previously believed. Because in their offices, map of the world consists of following continents:

1. Hokkaidō,
  2. Honshū,
  3. Shikoku,
  4. Kyūshū.
-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

photoreddi wrote:

Rigby wrote:

Since you wrote two days ago that you are unaware of any stores in Australia that have the GR in stock, one solution would be to wait until some arrive in Vanbar or Camera House. Alternatively, look for cameras that are similar in size whether new or used, such as the GR IV and earlier models or Nikon's Coolpix A.

Interesting to see who will actually stock these cameras.  Ricoh cameras seem to have been increasingly ignored by stockists here over the years.  Electronic goods outlets seem to eaither snap up end of the model line items or highly popular everyman lines.  Groups like Camera House tend to carry them as "specials" presumably when they can get a good bulk buy price.  As long as the GR remains popular it is going to be a toss up as to whether the Camera House group members decide to stock it because it has become generally "interesting" and might sell or whether they will wait until it has become harder to sell and pick up a bulk buy to sell as a special.  On the other hand right at the moment they seem in short supply world wide.

ie: might be a while before they are visible in a showcase near you.

So we might wonder whether Ricoh has seriously under-estimated demand and therefore not made enough initial supply. Strange as they have come out with a wonder-camera that seems to be firing imagination and was aggressively priced.  Being well-priced they might have imagined that the camera would have been sought after and made opeining stocks accordingly but maybe this was one last fling and Rioch have sold themself short (again) on how well respected their product really is.

Hopefully the seeming demand for the GR is making them "think harder" about the GXR.

If the Coolpix A fits, the GR should also fit because even though it's 0.2 inches wider (4.6" vs 4.4") the Coolpix A is taller (2.5" vs 2.4") and fatter (1.6" vs 1.4"). The GR IV is slightly smaller than the GR, 4.3"x2.4"x1.3" vs 4.6"x2.4"x1.4".

Seems good advice.  Also make up a little cardboard and taped up box to the right dimensions and try that in the pocket.  It should cause some comment from your friends.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Re: Q2: How many GRs can fit in a continent?

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

According to Ricoh's operational and distribution forces, just one.

In Australia, Ricoh has sent just 1 (one) GR camera for a preview, for everyone interested to try it.

Apparently vblogger Blunty had fiercest fists to get it for a couple of hours.

Grin, I simply bought my own to test as I was sure that I would not like to part with it.

I hope you get a loan of one without having to hit anyone too hard.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

ashenwreck
ashenwreck Forum Member • Posts: 91

Tom Caldwell wrote:

mack13 wrote:

I don't have a dust problem because I can't find one to purchase. B&H told me they have no idea when they will be available.

Considering I never really known much about the GR line of cameras prior to this one, they must have done something right marketing wise (even if unknowingly). It's been featured on a lot of blogs I follow (outside of photography specific ones) and am guessing there's plenty of people like myself that took notice, as well.

ashenwreck's gear list:ashenwreck's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Fujifilm X100T Ricoh GR II
aman74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002

I'm doubting this is from micro-fibre. First, because it doesn't inherently make sense. Secondly, because this was a known issue with NEX screens and wasn't the cause of cleaning, etc..., just from use.

aman74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002

Snap Judgements wrote:

Snap Judgements wrote:

Rigby wrote:

Your opinions live up to your screenname. Twice you've said it isn't when clearly others feel it is. Perhaps there's some room here for differing opinions based on many factors. Those factors don't have to include, as you suggest, that people aren't caring for their camera properly.

citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812

exactly.

i think this would be a good time to remind our male forum members that overly tight jeans can cause temporary sterility... among other things. 

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more

ashenwreck wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

mack13 wrote:

Considering I never really known much about the GR line of cameras prior to this one, they must have done something right marketing wise (even if unknowingly). It's been featured on a lot of blogs I follow (outside of photography specific ones) and am guessing there's plenty of people like myself that took notice, as well.

It is a running joke with those that like Ricoh cameras as we get guys on the forum from time to time who predict doom for the Ricoh camera division because they sell so few cameras. In truth marketing is not something that Ricoh has shown a lot of vigour in but they do make excellent cameras for those that actually manage to find and purchase one.

This camera is an excellent effort and it is hardly surprising that it is getting good press.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

citrontokyo wrote:

exactly.

i think this would be a good time to remind our male forum members that overly tight jeans can cause temporary sterility... among other things.

Grin - one would hope that the camera did not catch it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Snap Judgements

aman74 wrote:

Snap Judgements wrote:

Snap Judgements wrote:

Rigby wrote:

Your opinions live up to your screenname. Twice you've said it isn't when clearly others feel it is. Perhaps there's some room here for differing opinions based on many factors. Those factors don't have to include, as you suggest, that people aren't caring for their camera properly.

My bad, Aman.    Clearly having an opinion not based upon personal experience is causing you some consternation about this. Don't overthink it. It's only a camera and you shouldn't fret so much.

Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 547

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sabud wrote:

Russell Dawkins wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sorry don't know. I use a 'small' bag of protective neoprene. By the way, my display (NEX5) was damaged when I used micro-fibre for cleaning. So I am not really interested in any micro-fibre bags

Encl. info.

Ouch!

I have used micro-fibre cloths for cleaning lenses and screens for years without problem. I think that there is must be "micro-fibre" and micro-fibre. I have a number of cloths specifically sold or given away to me as lens cleaning cloths. These are the ones I have used for cleaning - presuming that they were recommended for the purpose. On the other hand I bought a pack of "micro-fibre" cloths thinking that I might use them to do the same job and after having a look at them I was not so sure (different material). The bags I bought seem to be made of the same cloth as the lens cloths that I have - soft and suede-like to touch.

I don't have a NEX5 but have a NEX6 and I have used made-for-lens-cleaning cloths to wipe off finger marks with them to no apparent problem so far.

I am not sure of the lcd covering here. Mine looks like it is a hard cover plate but yours looks more like a coating that is coming off. I know that the early GRDIII and GXR models used the same Sony sourced screens as the NEX and that they have problems with the anti-glare coating crazing and I believe that the same generation NEX cameras had a similar problem. However the damage that you show here doesn't quite look like the damage on my cameras and tthe NEX5 is probably a later model that should be immune from that problem

Sorry to see your damage, it does look a bit ugly.

My bags look ok and there are expensive Matin brand microfibre bags that I bought to try as well. They are lined and have toggles. But they were too large for the purpose as the GR "disappeared" into it and there was too much overall bulk to put the bag and camera in pocket. The 11x17 cm simple unlined bags of suede-like microfibre are a cheap, light and easily stowed solution and I am not going to be cleaning the camera with them. Of course they are useless for protection for knocks and swipes but good enough to protect from surface abrasion and scratches.

You are right!

There are different types of micro-fibre cloths and the types for camera-optics (for example Spudz) are for sure harmless. The one I was using on my NEX5 display was a green cloth of make Turtle and for the record, Sony mounted a new display unit without cost. For my NEX5N I have only used the very fine cloth from Spudz...........but, after 15 months now there are signs of a coming problem, small, small cracks along the border/frame. There is a kind of filter layer on the NEX display that become brittle/fragile over time...my guess. I have never scratched a display but in this case I suppose a screen protector vill do the trick.

Sorry for this "Sony-talk" but I have my eyes on the new GR. By the way, the NEX5N with pancake (Perar 35/3,5) have the "same" dimensions as the GR but 40 grams more weight

/Stephan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads