* Canon 70d * its here!

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,253
* Canon 70d * its here!

canonrumor got the box image: http://www.canonrumors.com/

I hope its worth the wait.  At least we do have a brand new 20.2mp sensor instead of yet another 18mp sensor from canon t2i debut.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Re: * Canon 70d * its here!

Nice! I had a 60D and it was very good. I have often missed it. After experimenting with mirrorless cameras, I've decided to go with having one pocket camera (RX100 II) and a DSLR. Best of both worlds, and no compromises.

Hope we get many more details about the 70D soon.

EDIT: list of specs...

Canon EOS 70D Specifications

• 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC 5+
  • 19pt AF System (All Cross Type)
  • 7fps
  • Built-in WiFi
  • 3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 12,800 Maximum
  • Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus
  • Full HD Video
  • HDR
  • Multiexposure Mode
  • LP-E6 Battery
 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
x-vision
x-vision Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

No geotagging? and only 20MB sensor

-- hide signature --

Photography, It ain't the same old Art form it used to be..

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +18 more
007peter
OP 007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,253
Dual Pixel CDAF...5X Faster than older Live View.....Stunning!

x-vision wrote:

Here's a bigger image:

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/canon70Dspec.jpg

Thanks for the big image.  I spot something that no one talks about on the box.  Its says:

Dual Pixel Cmos AF - 5x's Faster than traditional CDAF!

If true, that would propel 70d into the fastest Canon Video AF camcorder.  I was already impressed by Canon SL1's AF speed in video with a quick & silent 18-135mm STM lens.  A 70d with the same lens would be a killer.

Hopefully we'll learn more about it as days to come.

007peter
OP 007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,253
20mb not good enough for you?

EJ Fudd wrote:

20mb is not good enough for you? I'm just grateful that canon didn't recycle the same 18mp sensor in a 70d.

Canon pull this stun by sticking the same 18mp sensor with the new Canon Rebel T5i.  I was very fearful that Canon would same mistake with 70d.  Now that fear has been put to rest

Its not the extra 2mp that I'm looking for, I'm hoping for a cleaner high iso & better dynamic range with a new sensor.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Re: Dual Pixel CDAF...5X Faster than older Live View.....Stunning!

YES !!!  I think this will be coming home !!!  Pretty much what I was waiting for...I think.  With the new Sigma 18-35 1.8....should be a killer in low light concerts !!

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,171
promising

I am hoping for the same.

-- hide signature --
blazedays Junior Member • Posts: 49

That's interesting. I figured something was coming concerning the 70D, because last night on Amazon.com they dropped the prices on the 60D body and kits to new lows.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
DEE- Lighted !!!

With native iso of 12,800....All cross sensors....7 fps...HDR, .... and all the specs....JUST what the doctor ordered !!

Summer is looking very bright !!   And couple it with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 ...low light Killer !!   then add the fine 70 200 F4...which is cheap these days....Glad I unloaded my D7K just in time .

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
x-vision
x-vision Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

EJ Fudd wrote:

Heh. I guess they can never please everyone .

The specs are fantastic for this class of camera.
If the intro price is $1099-1199 (and I doubt they'll go higher), the 70D will be the best value in Canon's lineup since the 40D back in 2007.

Re: 20mb not good enough for you?

was hope for better DR and noise but in a 24 not a 20

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Re: DEE- Lighted !!!

jonrobertp wrote:

With native iso of 12,800....All cross sensors....7 fps...HDR, .... and all the specs....JUST what the doctor ordered !!

Summer is looking very bright !! And couple it with the new Sigma 18-35 1.8 ...low light Killer !! then add the fine 70 200 F4...which is cheap these days....Glad I unloaded my D7K just in time .

I think I'm in as well. The specs are impressive, exactly what I wanted to see in a 60D update. Hopefully the sensor has some new tricks up its sleeve compared to 60D.

Sold all my DSLR stuff last year, 60D and lenses, experimented with mirrorless cameras, and am done with them. Nice, but too many compromises.

RX100 II will be my small pocket camera, and I think 70D will become my heavy hitter.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

I like it and the Wi-fi transfer.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +19 more
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

was waiting for built-in GPS ..not mentioned... we travel a lot these days so built-in GPS was on my hit list for the 70d ..disappointing if it isn't after it comes out o-fish-ally..oh well..

waiting for the 7D Mk II I guess.,.which the way it looks ..it's just not gonna happen

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Samsung Galaxy Note9 +8 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
20MP, you mean?

EJ Fudd wrote:

And who cares about geotagging?

Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
Re: 20MP, you mean?

howardroark wrote:

EJ Fudd wrote:

that's a joke right... those who don't care like yourself probably don't know what it is.. and for whatever it is worth why would you make such an innocuous statement like that.. just to make a post?? silly stuff

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Samsung Galaxy Note9 +8 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: 20MP, you mean?

Stakeouttoo wrote:

howardroark wrote:

EJ Fudd wrote:

that's a joke right... those who don't care like yourself probably don't know what it is..

LOL....I'm very aware of what geotagging is.  It's something that can be done many other ways than requiring a built-in GPS to drain your camera's battery.  In-camera GPS units have serious issues in cities or in wooded areas.  It's just one of those features that strikes me as entirely superfluous.  Don't waste your battery on GPS that takes forever to acquire a satelite and then constantly loses it.  Or maybe they are more reliable these days and drain your battery, either way it's not necessary.  Maybe nice sometimes but everyone I've ever known with built-in GPS never uses it.  If you like it then more power to you, but it's a lousy reason to reject a camera.  If you have another option that matches IQ and other features then I guess that company made a smart design decision.

Thanks for the support ..sent you a message (nt)
-- hide signature --

Pritzl Senior Member • Posts: 1,460

007peter wrote:

Its not the extra 2mp that I'm looking for, I'm hoping for a cleaner high iso & better dynamic range with a new sensor.

Hear, hear... The entire specifications list so far either meets or exceeds what I was hoping for. Now we just have to wait to and see if the new sensor is a significant improvement or not.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads