I never sell camera equipment because...

Started Jun 27, 2013 | Discussions
Angular Mo Senior Member • Posts: 2,454
I never sell camera equipment because...
1

Admittedly, I was one of the earliest buyers...and have enjoyed my ancient E-P1 camera since the summer of 2009.  Yeah, I paid full-price, and am unable to add a view-finder.  It still works fine; sure, it is slow to operate.

I just cannot fathom getting only USD 125 for it, if that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOOR-DISPLAY-Olympus-PEN-E-P1-12-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-Body-Only-/110954680840?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d56a1208

then again, I have not bought any FT SHG lenses, or anything similar that would have decent nominal (not proportionate to cost) resale value.

-- hide signature --

'Photos are what remain when the memories are forgotten' - Angular Mo.

 Angular Mo's gear list:Angular Mo's gear list
Samsung NV7 OPS Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Olympus PEN E-P1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Try selling a vhs player or i386 computer
4

Why would you expect electronics to hold their value?

Camera bodies end up in landfills while lenses last decades.

The Jacal
The Jacal Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Re: Try selling a vhs player or i386 computer

Just Having Fun wrote:

Why would you expect electronics to hold their value?

Camera bodies end up in landfills while lenses last decades.

I've got a Nikon D80 gathering dust in the cupboard. The body is from the digital stone age and is worth peanuts (relatively), but the lenses, hmm, must get round to flogging it sometime.

 The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
GingerBread Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...

I understand.  I hate to sell as well, and I usually don't unless I've completely stopped using a camera.  Even then, it takes me a while to decide to get rid of it.  My LX3 sat unused for 2 years before I finally sold it this past spring.

I don't think the OP implied any expectation that digital cameras hold their value.  It is like that $800 TV that is now worth $100; if it is working fine and being used, then it is hard to part with for so little money.  The same is true for my car, which is worth 1/4th what I paid for it, but it still runs well.

-- hide signature --

Ging

 GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +3 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,003
I disagree a bit.

Cameras improve over the years, which is why many end up in a closet after being replaced my better models - maybe someone wants improved high ISO performance or a more portable system. Sure, the old ones still take good photos, but maybe not good enough any more.

Cars and TVs also improve, but probably not enough to get replaced, unless one wants to go from gas to electric for example.

 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Lawrence W Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...
3

Like you, I hate to sell.

Instead, I give it away to people who WILL use my old but still good cameras. This includes giving away my LX3 when I get LX5 as a birthday present. I even gave my Nikon D40X with kit to someone who's emigrating to Canada but cannot afford a decent camera when I got A D90. I thought it serves him better than for me as a second body.

It gives me great satisfaction when I know these cameras are still being used, and justifications for me to get newer versions!

 Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...
1

* my enjoyment in using them and owning them is higher than the resale value

* manufacturers sometimes go backwards with new cameras and camera designs (in addition to offering improvements in some areas; the device development isn't fast enough to obsolete them though)

* there is no perfect camera; each camera has different personalities suited (and not suited) to this-or-that.

* familiarity (old friends) are always nice to go back to

* hoarding is great

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...

That's a good way to do it. Occasionally you can also find schools and such that can use camera donations, and get a tax donation write-off to boot.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Michael T Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: Try selling a vhs player or i386 computer
1

Just Having Fun wrote:

Why would you expect electronics to hold their value?

We have always some exceptions. Here is updated from BBC. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23047462

"25 June 2013 Last updated at 11:07 GMT

An early Apple computer dating from 1976 has been put up for auction by a retired school psychologist in America.

Ted Perry had kept the Apple 1 in his attic in a cardboard box, in his home outside Sacramento, California.

The Apple 1 was the launchpad for Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs, who were a pair of college dropouts obsessed with computing.

Bidding will start at $300,000."

 Michael T's gear list:Michael T's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 816
Re: Try selling a vhs player or i386 computer

Why would you expect electronics to hold their value?

Camera bodies end up in landfills while lenses last decades.

I hope I have an original Apple computer now

Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,516
The problem with electronics is also the cr@ppy manufacturing quality.
1

I built a stereo amplifier 25 years ago (and some older ones too) and they still work as well as on day one. So does most of the other electronics stuff that I built.

When you buy something however you're lucky if it works for just a few years before breaking down. I have had so many computers or computer parts or laptops break, displays as well, ... things just are not made to last any more.

Yes, camera bodies are worthless because technology has improved. But lenses do not last decades. They are now manufactured with parts that are designed to break, for instance very thin ribbon cables in zoom lenses that break so easily and often that there is enough of a market for new ones that companies are making just these parts and selling on Ebay.

When I happen to have something old that is still fine I tend to give it away to someone who will actually use it, just like some other poster said. I have not yet thrown away any still functional camera. I always found someone I could donate it to (and some I actually sold).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

 Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,620
Opposite: I save $ thousands $ selling early while there is still residual value
2

Holding on to high price Electronic is dumbest financial moves any one can make. I recommend the opposite. Buy Low, Sell HIGH

  • Buy Low = never buy brand new camera in its 1st year. Wait a year for 20-30% discount, or buy a 1 year old USED version around 40% discount
  • Sell High = sell your camera before the new model is released
  • If you like your camera, sell 1st, then buy it back later at heavy discount

I'll used myself as an example.

I paid $1499 for Canon 30d + 17-85 is and shot for 1 1/2 years. While I love my 30d, I knew I had sell them ASAP before canon release a 40d. I sold my 30d for $800, 17-85is for $400, for a total return of $1200 back in 2007. The $299 price difference is my rental cost for shooting 1 1/2 year. ($1499 - $1200).

I'm glad I ignore DPR forum advice and sold my camera early (even though I like the camera). By 2009, the price of 30d has fallen well below $450. Had I hold on to my 30d as members suggest, I would have taken a substantial lost. After 40d is release, no one is willing to pay more than $600 for a 30d, I'm glad I sold mine for $800 while I still can.

I used the $1,200 return (from 30d combo) to bought a cheap Canon Rebel XTi for $662.89 in 2007. I shot it for a year, and promptly sold it for $450 before Canon XSi replacement was released. $662.89 - $450.00 = $212.89, a cheap rental cost for 1 year shooting

I do even better with Micro43 camera

  • Bought a used GF2 + 14-42 for just $240.42, use it for 6 months
  • Sold my GF2 + 14-42 for $300, with a $59.52 profit

Two Micro43 manufactures is a double edge swords:

  • [+Positive] several new camera model every year from 2 manufactures
  • [- Negative] very short product cycle = massive discount in just 6 months

The 3 noticeable exception are Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GH2, GH3 which hold on to their value even a year after it was introduced.  But for majority of M43 camera body, they have become disposable.  I've seen a year old GF3 selling as low as $89.  Ouch!

If you have Patience, and willing to give up the bragging right of owning the latest gear, you can save $$ ton of money $$ buying a mint/used M43 at 60-80% discount.  Right now, I'm looking at a Panasonic GX1 for $199, shockly cheap for such a high quality camera.

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,137
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...
1

If you still use it that's fine. If you don't use it it is worth nothing and is just taking up space in your cupboard.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
GingerBread Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: I disagree a bit.
1

Corkcampbell wrote:

Cameras improve over the years, which is why many end up in a closet after being replaced my better models - maybe someone wants improved high ISO performance or a more portable system. Sure, the old ones still take good photos, but maybe not good enough any more.

Cars and TVs also improve, but probably not enough to get replaced, unless one wants to go from gas to electric for example.

Actually, the incremental safety improvements in car designs can easily warrant upgrades with each redesign of a particular model if you place a high value on the safety of your family as well as your own.  Most of us simply assume we'll never have a bad accident and don't worry about it.

I agree that if one wants better high ISO or more room to crop, that may result in a new camera.  But if you look around at some of photo sharing sites, some great photographs are still being taken by cameras considered very old tech by gear heads.  Those artists who are perfectly happy with cameras like the old Canon 20D seem to have different priorities than having a clean ISO 6400 or the maximum possible dynamic range.  I'm a bit of a gear head myself, I'm not an artist.  I have to admit, though, that the artists do just fine with old tech, and when I review my prints from years ago, I question the "value" of some of my gear upgrades.

 GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +3 more
Zensu11
Zensu11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Re: I disagree a bit.
2

If it still works and you like shooting with it, keep it!

I've still got my Nikon Coolpix 990, the one with the swivel in the middle of the body. The hand grip and screen with shutter release is on the right side (photographers view) while the lens and flash are on the left and swivel. It's only a 4mg sensor and it doesn't do well in poor light. I've even had to drill a small hole in the base of the camera to put a pin in that holds the battery compartment door closed (got tired of paying Nikon $200 for repairs). It takes 4 AA batteries and , this is the kicker, IT"S FUN TO SHOOT!

Sure I can only get smaller prints but it's still great for compact carry outdoors and emails. I've even got a fisheye attachment that works fantastic and is SUPER FUN! I still gush about this camera. I loved it when it first came out and I love using it today.

dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 6,894
I'm the opposite
1

Angular Mo wrote:

Admittedly, I was one of the earliest buyers...and have enjoyed my ancient E-P1 camera since the summer of 2009. Yeah, I paid full-price, and am unable to add a view-finder. It still works fine; sure, it is slow to operate.

I just cannot fathom getting only USD 125 for it, if that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOOR-DISPLAY-Olympus-PEN-E-P1-12-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-Body-Only-/110954680840?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d56a1208

then again, I have not bought any FT SHG lenses, or anything similar that would have decent nominal (not proportionate to cost) resale value.

I never keep any gear, especially electronics, because I'm not a collector, and if I'm not using it, it goes before it loses all its value. I have only what I'm currently using, and no more. Otherwise you're stuck with piles of worthless old crap.

BolleDuc Regular Member • Posts: 249
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...

I was a hoarder before but now I can't wait to dump & move on to the next great thing, though hopefully just before it's about to be replaced & it's heavily discounted! My recent transition from Sony Alpha gear (which I still love but it was too big to tote all the time) to MFT (E-PL5 & GX1) was prompted by my experiences with an E-PM1 that I bought last year. It helps that I've finally come to the conclusion that I won't be "discovered" as an incredible photographic artist any time soon so my first camera won't be worth much on eBay after I'm gone. Sorry kids! 

Worse still, my old cameras are looked down upon by my kids, who have far more "sophisticated" cameras in their phones. And by my wife, who prefers to toss a little camera in her purse, to have it bounce among the keys & the coins, sans case! Even the old & neglected stuff deserves a kinder end than that!

In the past month, I've sold most of my APS-C Sony gear, pretty much all current. I've also sold the E-PM1 that introduced me to the MFT universe & even some quite new MFT gear that I've just purchased over the past couple of months. I bought, for example, a GF3 kit with a 14-14mm PZ kit lens that was $150 less than I could get the lens for. I just sold the GF3 body for $115 yesterday (to a very happy buyer, I might add!) so my net PZ cost was under $200 & I still have the new warranty on the lens. I just couldn't see myself using a 3rd body, & it wasn't going into my wife's purse with a good lens, so it made no sense to keep it. I'm hoping to see my Oly 40-150mm lens go today, as I recently picked up the 14-150mm. There may be some modicum of difference but I can't see it so it goes. My goal is to have the set of gear that I want, that's right for what I do, but not be so cluttered that I can't decide what to stuff in the back for a weekend outing. I'm not really talking lean & mean here but I remember having to sort out a bunch of cables a few years back &, after an hour of sorting, I still hadn't found the one that I was actually looking for. No more!

While I feel I'm now going into a period of potential stability with my gear, there are still missing features on my current cameras that I'll look forward to finding on new cameras in the future. I wouldn't mind having a G5 or a G6 & an E-P5 right now, for example, for some of the extras they offer. And I'm sure I'll love the GX2 & the E-M5's replacement when they hit the streets. But I'm now committed to keeping the body count down & the shelf space sparse so I can easily choose a kit to take out with me on any given day. Whether that comes from sticking with the two bodies I currently rely on, or if it means that I'll be buying & selling when the next new models hit the showroom floor, doesn't really matter. One of the real joys of MFT is having two or more manufacturers with interchangeable lenses & accessories to choose from. Some of us get as much fun from the acquisition & disposal side of the hobby as we do from the photography side. And what's wrong with that!

Paul

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90

 BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082
Re: I never sell camera equipment because...

Angular Mo wrote:

Admittedly, I was one of the earliest buyers...and have enjoyed my ancient E-P1 camera since the summer of 2009. Yeah, I paid full-price, and am unable to add a view-finder. It still works fine; sure, it is slow to operate.

I just cannot fathom getting only USD 125 for it, if that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOOR-DISPLAY-Olympus-PEN-E-P1-12-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-Body-Only-/110954680840?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d56a1208

then again, I have not bought any FT SHG lenses, or anything similar that would have decent nominal (not proportionate to cost) resale valu

I am just the opposite but that makes neither of us a better person, just different in the way we think.

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
Not worth the trouble

Kept my EP1, because it's not worth the effort to sell it. Gave it to my daughter to use.

Still have my old E1, too. I'm a bit fond of that one, it fits the hand so well. And my E330... the 'loveable mutt' that looks weird but does a few things well, still my favorite macro camera. And still have my E20 from way back. That one got used in a church service recently, because the shutter is silent.

And I have picked up a SHG lens last fall... $1200 for a mint ZD 35-100... who would ever have thought that lens would be that cheap... still looking for a 150F2...

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,059
Lenses for sure, bodies ... sometimes

I buy and sell lenses all the time.  I usually get close to what I paid for them ... sometimes more, sometimes less.  I usually don't bother selling bodies because they generally lose value so quickly.  The one exception was my GH2, for which I got a good price.  Not what I paid for it, but certainly worth the trouble.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads