Just replaced 18-70mm with 16-85mm did I make the right decision?

Started Jun 26, 2013 | Discussions
macwrite Regular Member • Posts: 487
Just replaced 18-70mm with 16-85mm did I make the right decision?

First Background info:

18-70mm won't focus. What is the likely repair cost? (Nikon Canada)

Which lens to replace my broken 18-70mm?

The story

Today I went to Lens and Shutter with my mom knowing they didn't have the 16-85mm in stock, but was hoping they would have a display unit as well as the 18-55VR and 18-105VR. Sold out of everything and I mean everything except a few $$$ lenses and hadn't had stock in a long while (months)? We talked and Victoria (I am in Vancovuer) had one in stock, but I woldn't be able to get it below $699 since it would cost there store $40 to ship it in from the Island.

The non commissioned sales person (which are the best sales people) said that for my situation I really should get the metal mount, and as a replacement for my 18-70mm the 18-55 isn't good (don't remember exact words). I said I wanted to buy from them as I've gotten all my gear except my D7000 replacement of my dead D70 via Nikon.

So we left and I took the bus downtown to go home. The bus stops at the London Drugs at George and Granville and I think about getting off but don't. The bus loads and then the driver said to the person in the wheel chair "Do you want on" and he did. Since we already had a wheelchair on the bus, I had to give up my seat, so I got off (hmm fate?)

I go into London Drugs go to cameras to look at the lens and just blurted out "Can I see the 16-85mm" and he said yes! WOW I was very surprised. As he was opening the box (only one) I asked how much and he said "$749" I said forget it I can't afford that! I said I could get it at Lens and Shutter for $699.

He said they priced match them. I then said "I would get it for $629 in the US, but wouldn't of course" Then I pull the iPad out to look at www.photoprice.ca and he said they won't price match with places back east (reasonable) I looked at the list since I remembered one place had places in BC AB ON and low and behold they had it for $649 and he agreed to price match them as they have done it before!

Facetime my mom and watches me buy it for $729 with tax.

Now the dilemma

Did I make the right deceission? Things in the past couple weeks have been pushing me back to photography and I felt the urge again to replace my broken lens after 4 months and taking many photos for work for our DRG deliveries with 95% being out of focus!

Did I make the right decision? I am now feeling the guilt.

I got the $500 for my birthday (expecting that) and then the $100 from my moms new cousin was completely un-expected. $129 out of my $700 life savings (unless I can get enough work from now until July 31).

The guilt is getting to me, but I also didn't have that $600 5 weeks ago also.

Also that 18-55VR I was going to buy from someone on Craigslist fail through a couple months ago $80 as his wife changed her mind and wanted to keep it (they got the 18-200mm).

Thanks for letting me rant.

Just one more thing

Taking a nice wide shot of my office with light on VR on ISO 800 the photo was still blurring!!! So maybe VR can't help me with my sudtle shaky hands (CP) D70 used to have sharp photos but now even with 50 wide open unless I use a flash I get allot of blurr these days

Nikon D70 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevehughes
stevehughes Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: Just replaced 18-70mm with 16-85mm did I make the right decision?

All I can say is that the 16-85 has a semi-permanent home on my D7100.  It's a very versatile lens and the IQ is very good.  The combination of good sharpness, modest weight, wide zoom range and VR makes it a perfect walk-around lens for me.

So as a replacement for the 18-70.....  yeah I would think you've made a good call.

I too have the 18-70 but it now lives on my old D50 for the kids to use.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Steve

stevehughes's gear list:stevehughes's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

Um, if you have blurry pictures, post examples with EXIF data, and maybe we can help you.

If you're really asking about making decisions and/or guilt on an INTERNET FORUM, please go see a psych doctor immediately.

Coastal Kathy Regular Member • Posts: 128

I love my 16-85 VR lens.  It lives on my D90 and is very sharp.  I use it 90% of the time.  I plan on upgrading to the D7100 soon and it will live on that camera, also.

Kathy

Coastal Kathy's gear list:Coastal Kathy's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +2 more
lnguyenh Contributing Member • Posts: 685

It is spent now, so enjoy your nice lens, although I think an 18-105 would have worked just as well for you :).

Regarding the blurry shots, post some pictures directly from camera, maybe someone will be able to help you.

jhorse Senior Member • Posts: 2,705

Hi, I had a 18-70, which came with my first DSLR, D70. Great lens. Mine too failed (AF) just after I bought a D300s and the cost of repair was not worth it so I bought a 16-85VR. All I can say is that it is more versatile than the highly rated 18-70, marginally better IQ and has VR. It is an excellent lens and although expensive it delivers excellent images, which for me makes it good value.

I have a 18-55, which came with my D40, and for a hiking trip I wanted to reduce weight and did some rudimentary tests between the 18-55 and the 16-85 (on a D5100) and concluded that the IQ of the 16-85 was noticeably better so took it despite the added weight. Worth the added sweat!

PS: you are not alone in having photographic buyer's remorse! My cure is to get out into the field and use it more. Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-T20
michelobultra Forum Member • Posts: 78

nfpotter wrote:

If you're really asking about making decisions and/or guilt on an INTERNET FORUM, please go see a psych doctor immediately.

Was that remark really  called for??

depscribe Senior Member • Posts: 1,223

It's a great lens, to be sure (though check it out closely and make a bunch of pictures at various focal lengths, especially the widest, because there have been quality control issues with some of them). The way to justify the cost is to make many, many pictures. Then, when you see the sharpness and contrast of each of them, you'll be glad you made the purchase.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 +11 more
steven2874 Regular Member • Posts: 302

You made the wrong decision. You need to facetime mommie again and confess you've been a naughty boy!

steven2874's gear list:steven2874's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,046

I would think that having CP is going to make your blurry pics tough for us not so afflicted to analyze. VR and high shutter speeds can do only so much for such needs. Perhaps there are experienced photogs with CP who can help. Just guessing, maybe a monopod might help, maybe wired or wireless shutter release or release delay. Beam bags can give inexpensive support.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
KakoW Junior Member • Posts: 49

macwrite wrote:

First Background info:

The story

Today I went to Lens and Shutter with my mom knowing they didn't have the 16-85mm in stock, but was hoping they would have a display unit as well as the 18-55VR and 18-105VR. Sold out of everything and I mean everything except a few $$$ lenses and hadn't had stock in a long while (months)? We talked and Victoria (I am in Vancovuer) had one in stock, but I woldn't be able to get it below $699 since it would cost there store $40 to ship it in from the Island.

The non commissioned sales person (which are the best sales people) said that for my situation I really should get the metal mount, and as a replacement for my 18-70mm the 18-55 isn't good (don't remember exact words). I said I wanted to buy from them as I've gotten all my gear except my D7000 replacement of my dead D70 via Nikon.

So we left and I took the bus downtown to go home. The bus stops at the London Drugs at George and Granville and I think about getting off but don't. The bus loads and then the driver said to the person in the wheel chair "Do you want on" and he did. Since we already had a wheelchair on the bus, I had to give up my seat, so I got off (hmm fate?)

I go into London Drugs go to cameras to look at the lens and just blurted out "Can I see the 16-85mm" and he said yes! WOW I was very surprised. As he was opening the box (only one) I asked how much and he said "$749" I said forget it I can't afford that! I said I could get it at Lens and Shutter for $699.

He said they priced match them. I then said "I would get it for $629 in the US, but wouldn't of course" Then I pull the iPad out to look at www.photoprice.ca and he said they won't price match with places back east (reasonable) I looked at the list since I remembered one place had places in BC AB ON and low and behold they had it for $649 and he agreed to price match them as they have done it before!

Now the dilemma

Did I make the right deceission? Things in the past couple weeks have been pushing me back to photography and I felt the urge again to replace my broken lens after 4 months and taking many photos for work for our DRG deliveries with 95% being out of focus!

I got the $500 for my birthday (expecting that) and then the $100 from my moms new cousin was completely un-expected. $129 out of my $700 life savings (unless I can get enough work from now until July 31).

Also that 18-55VR I was going to buy from someone on Craigslist fail through a couple months ago $80 as his wife changed her mind and wanted to keep it (they got the 18-200mm).

Just one more thing

Taking a nice wide shot of my office with light on VR on ISO 800 the photo was still blurring!!! So maybe VR can't help me with my sudtle shaky hands (CP) D70 used to have sharp photos but now even with 50 wide open unless I use a flash I get allot of blurr these days

For about the same price you could have got a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS . Less zoom, more speed. What is the right call? Only you can answer that, but don't fret too much over it and shoot!

KakoW's gear list:KakoW's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329

I sold a nice Sigma 18-50 2.8 OS lens and bought the 16-85.  I have not regretted the move at all.  You have a better lens.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
kithg
kithg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221

My call is that your comment was rude, nfpotter. I think you owe this person an apology.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +1 more
Steve 316 Forum Member • Posts: 93

In the last four years I have shot about 10,000 images with the 16-85, currently using it on a D5100.  It's a wonderful lens.

The 16-85 has one of the highest user-satisfaction scores on almost all the sites that measure this (slrgear for example).  The 24-128mm range is ideal, and as time goes by you will appreciate a little extra on the wide-angle end.  I took only this lens to Greece and Turkey last summer and was very pleased with the results in a myriad of different shooting decisions.

There are two parts to a decision: making it, and making it work.  You now have the pleasure of making your decision work by taking lots of pictures with your new lens to make friends with it.  Best wishes.

sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

The 16-85mm is a very good lens, I tried out several lenses before I settled on that one. I've had mine for about 2 years and used it extensively, I find the focal length range is very good for landscapes and general photography. For events, portraits and lower light where things are moving, I prefer my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

The 16-85mm is better stopped down to f/5.6-f/8 for greater sharpness at the edges. You can have a look at http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/635-nikkor16853556vr?start=1 to see how the sharpness varies at different focal lengths and apertures.

Some people will tell you the lens is too expensive for what you get but I haven't been disappointed at all with mine, i'd buy it again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone else.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Klaas de Bruin New Member • Posts: 11

macwrite wrote:

First Background info:

The story

Now the dilemma

Just one more thing

First i like to congratulate you with buying a nice lens. But keep in mind that a D7100's pixeldensity is a lot higher than the D70.

This means that your shuttertimes have to be shorter compared to the D70 to prevent visible camerashake, same sort of 'problem' as with the D800.

Possibly the Quit mode will provide better results, or if you take multiple shots on continuous high the 2nd or 3rd shot might be more stable if CP is the origin of the blur.

If you use the autoiso on auto, you will reduce camerashake significantly as the camera compares the shuttertime with the zoom setting to increase iso to reduce shuttertimes, although higher iso can mean more noise.

The burden of high pixelcount

Klaas de Bruin's gear list:Klaas de Bruin's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
GlennW Senior Member • Posts: 2,254

Brev00 wrote:

I would think that having CP is going to make your blurry pics tough for us not so afflicted to analyze. VR and high shutter speeds can do only so much for such needs. Perhaps there are experienced photogs with CP who can help. Just guessing, maybe a monopod might help, maybe wired or wireless shutter release or release delay. Beam bags can give inexpensive support.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

The 16-85 is a great choice that will work on many cameras. The next purchase may be for a nice tripod to hold the camera steady for you.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Firestorm2000
Firestorm2000 Regular Member • Posts: 358

Relax, your choice was good!

I bought the 18-70mm with my D70 and the the combo still works fine!

However, when I upgraded to the D300 I realised that the 16-85mm VR was the way to go!

It's a great lens, you will not regret getting this upgrade.

Firestorm2000's gear list:Firestorm2000's gear list
Olympus C-770 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS12 Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads