X-E1 in Corfu, Greece

Started Jun 22, 2013 | Discussions
jm10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,475
X-E1 in Corfu, Greece

Continuing with more pictures from a recent vacation. X-E1 + 18-55 mm lens.

All comments are welcome!

jacob

A mixture of structures built over the centuries

Llighthouse at the very top of the Old Fortress

The Old Fortress of Corfu Town. Construction started under Byzantine domination and later, under the Venetian occupation. The British also made their contribution.

Panoramic view from the New Fortress. The Old Town of Corfu is located between the Liston Square and the New Fortress in the background.

Panoramic view from the Old Fortress. The Old Town of Corfu is located between the Liston Square and the New Fortress in the background.

more pictures can be found here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jacob9247/27CorfuGreeceMay2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCOu9o4jXnsmV2QE#

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Reybabes
Reybabes Senior Member • Posts: 1,631
Re: X-E1 in Corfu, Greece

Very nice images of a very interesting place.  Looks as though you're getting along nicely with the X-E1.

Perhaps it's just an issue with my monitor, but it looks as though a touch of contrast and perhaps saturation could add the elusive "pop" to your images.  That would suit my own taste a bit better.

Thanks,

Rey

-- hide signature --

The best things in life aren't things...
Photo blog: www.2guysphoto.com
http://500px.com/reyspadoni

OP jm10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,475

Reybabes wrote:

Very nice images of a very interesting place.  Looks as though you're getting along nicely with the X-E1.

Perhaps it's just an issue with my monitor, but it looks as though a touch of contrast and perhaps saturation could add the elusive "pop" to your images.  That would suit my own taste a bit better.

Thanks,

Rey

Rey,

Thanks for your nice comments!

I am sure that your monitor is properly adjusted. I am glad that you mentioned the lack of "pop" - I had a couple of similar comments before. It helps to calibrate the processing. Is the following a move in the right direction:

before:

after:

Rey, thanks for looking - these are precisely the comments I was looking for.
Very nice shots in your blog!

jacob

Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Peter Vaktor Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

I agree with Reybabes that the images look a little flat and light. In my opinion, the X-E1 tends to overexpose slightly in A mode. I find that dialing back -1/3 to 2/3 EVF improves the exposure and image.

Peter Vaktor wrote:

I agree with Reybabes that the images look a little flat and light. In my opinion, the X-E1 tends to overexpose slightly in A mode. I find that dialing back -1/3 to 2/3 EVF improves the exposure and image.

Peter,

Thanks for the comments.

I did notice that statistically the results are better if the exposure dial is set back slightly - so my default position is at -1/3. But in my case it must be a matter of having the proper light (the limitations of not having the time flexibility on a cruise) and of course the inadequacy of post-processing techniques.

I have posted a re-worked version of one of the shots in reply to Ray's comments; would love you to comment on it.

Thanks!

jacob

Peter Vaktor Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Jacob,

You are on the right track with your correction, it is better, but I would push it even further. I would use some curves to cut back on the highlights and increase shadows. My default setting on my X-E1 is -2/3 EV as a general rule. I don't mind if the ISO moves up because the camera is so good at high ISOs.

Peter

Peter Vaktor wrote:

Jacob,

You are on the right track with your correction, it is better, but I would push it even further. I would use some curves to cut back on the highlights and increase shadows. My default setting on my X-E1 is -2/3 EV as a general rule. I don't mind if the ISO moves up because the camera is so good at high ISOs.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions; this really helps. I will have to experiment.

Regards,

jacob

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,439

I was about to make the same comment. Nice shots but a bit overexposed and lacking a bit of colour depth and saturation because of that. If a shot is slightly overexposed it will weaken the colour.

With processing the ideal processing looks like you have done nothing. Your rework looks processed to my eye. My golden rule of Photoshopping etc is to be like a Ninja - you were never there! So subtlety is the key. I have done thousands of hours of Photoshopping and my processing over the years followed that basic theme. At first I my images were way overprocessed and eventually I made sure my processing was discreet and hopefully unnoticeable.

The other rule I follow with imaging and processing is good data needs the minimum of processing. Bad data needs a lot and usually never turns out that great. So then the focus of your photography should be on the Basics - exposure, aperture, focus, shutter speed to get a well exposed, sharp image with low noise. Then either no post processing or minimal results in a much better image.

Processing is never a substitue for basics well applied.

In your image here a simple pull the curves down in the middle a bit or perhaps even S shaped curve will help. If they were shot in RAW you can pull down the exposure slider and up the contrast and saturation sliders.

In Photoshop, a duplicate layer set to "soft light" and reduce the opacity slider to suit will increase contrast nicely.

Of course there is also the contrast/brightness slider. Uusally you need to reduce brightness a tad to match increases in contrast. As above - gently does it. The usual error of someone learning processing of images is to whack the image too hard with the various tools and it looks very artificial and digital and lacking reailty.

On XE1/X100s I find Velvia film simualtion is great for landscapes. Rich in colour and it emulates the lovely colours you get from a Zeiss lens. Noise reduction to -2, sharpness perhaps +1. X100s images I notice take more sharpening than XE1. XE1 I'd be careful with sharpening. Either no sharpening or +1. It does not seem to take sharpening well - especially foliage type photos.

I hope this helps.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I was about to make the same comment. Nice shots but a bit overexposed and lacking a bit of colour depth and saturation because of that. If a shot is slightly overexposed it will weaken the colour.

With processing the ideal processing looks like you have done nothing. Your rework looks processed to my eye. My golden rule of Photoshopping etc is to be like a Ninja - you were never there! So subtlety is the key. I have done thousands of hours of Photoshopping and my processing over the years followed that basic theme. At first I my images were way overprocessed and eventually I made sure my processing was discreet and hopefully unnoticeable.

The other rule I follow with imaging and processing is good data needs the minimum of processing. Bad data needs a lot and usually never turns out that great. So then the focus of your photography should be on the Basics - exposure, aperture, focus, shutter speed to get a well exposed, sharp image with low noise. Then either no post processing or minimal results in a much better image.

Processing is never a substitue for basics well applied.

In your image here a simple pull the curves down in the middle a bit or perhaps even S shaped curve will help. If they were shot in RAW you can pull down the exposure slider and up the contrast and saturation sliders.

In Photoshop, a duplicate layer set to "soft light" and reduce the opacity slider to suit will increase contrast nicely.

Of course there is also the contrast/brightness slider. Uusally you need to reduce brightness a tad to match increases in contrast. As above - gently does it. The usual error of someone learning processing of images is to whack the image too hard with the various tools and it looks very artificial and digital and lacking reailty.

On XE1/X100s I find Velvia film simualtion is great for landscapes. Rich in colour and it emulates the lovely colours you get from a Zeiss lens. Noise reduction to -2, sharpness perhaps +1. X100s images I notice take more sharpening than XE1. XE1 I'd be careful with sharpening. Either no sharpening or +1. It does not seem to take sharpening well - especially foliage type photos.

I hope this helps.

Greg.

Greg,

Thanks for your well thought-out response. I appreciate it!

I went back to examine the OOC JPEG and realized that the shot was significantly underexposed. Here it is in the LR window:

Underexposed by at least a full Ev - a goog chunk of the histogram window is missing. So, this looks like a textbook case on  how not to take a shot...every rule in your book has been broken.

Camera settings: ISO=200,18mm,f/11,1/350,Ev=-2/3!!! - should have payed attention - I know this is what the control is for! Other camera settings: Provia, NR=-2, Sharp=+1, Color=0, Shadow=-1, High=-2 (I will have to reconsider the last 2).

That is the problem with the cruise shots - everything done in a hurry - have to discipline myself. Since the shot could not be repeated - had to salvage it, and this is why it has the processed look. The shot below is an LR re-creation (approximately) of the shot in the album:

LR: Exp=+0.51, Right=+26, Contrast=+10, Fill=+13, Blacks=+3, Clarity=+38, Vibrance=+8, Sat=+3

And the next one is an effort to improve depth and saturation using curves:

added curves to LR adjustments

Looks a little "overcooked" to me; here is a JPEG of the same image for better clarity:

And, finally, the OOC JPEG image:

OOC JPEG

Greg, I know this is not a forum for lessons in basics, but if you have the time and inclination would love to see your version of picture repair...
I do have the RAW file but will leave this as an exercise for another day...

Thanks again,

Regards,

jacob

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

What film mode did you use?

What was your Dynamic Range setting?

What metering patter did you use?

thanks

ryan2007 wrote:

What film mode did you use?

Provia

What was your Dynamic Range setting?

100 only

What metering patter did you use?

Multi

thanks

Regards,

jacob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads