>>> Street Photography eXchange #48 <<<

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
>>> Street Photography eXchange #48 <<<

SPX is a place to post examples of your recent street photographs for feedback, discussion and critical appreciation.

PLEASE post new photos as a reply to THIS MESSAGE directly, to help keep the thread organized and readable! Posting in “threaded view” will make immediately clear to you where you want your reply to be appended when responding to other photos and comments.

The street photography we love encompasses a wide variety of styles and subjects, but usually centers on spontaneous shots of people in public. You can emphasize personalities and expressions, momentary juxtapositions, form, composition, color; you can record life as it is lived, or flashes of the surreal, or moments of transcendence. Among the pioneers of the genre are Henri Cartier-Bresson; Helen Levitt; Robert Frank; Garry Winogrand; Mary Ellen Mark; and certainly many more. Street photography would not be what it is today without them, and no doubt is on its way to becoming something else again, with your help.

This is intended as an serial, ongoing thread, and will be replaced whenever the 150 post limit is approached; past threads will be numbered and linked in the current active thread.

As a continuous feature, the goal is to sustain an ongoing discussion and exchange of ideas and inspiration about street photography, as well as to get to know other photographers a little better. Everybody with an interest in SP is welcome to post photos, write comments and critiques, or just to lurk; please don’t be shy about participating in whichever and however many ways you like! But, posting your own photos helps people to understand where your comments are coming from, and commenting on other’s work can help us to see where your own pictures are coming from... so we hope you decide to do both.

SPX is an excellent place to share your latest favorite shot, the beginnings of your newest project, the discovery of a new approach to making the shots you want to make. Sharing works in progress, as opposed to completed portfolios, is encouraged; you can expect some genuine, hard, but positive critique here, and commenters will be able to fulfill that expectation better if you post no more than 1-3 photos at a time.

OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
>>> Links <<<

post links to resources and subjects of pertinence to street photographers here.

PLEASE post links only in reply to this message.

***boilerplate links***

SPX #47  : the SPX thread immediately preceding this one.

geneaology : various links and resources to some of the dpr street photography threads that came before SPX.

air dog 1

solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877
a talk about books

Hulamike
Hulamike Senior Member • Posts: 2,810
Re: air dog 1

Nice, tight crop. If ever a shot cried out for HDR this would be one.

Re: a talk about books

i like how the babooshka looks like the customer and the hipster looks like he runs the religious bookstand. the yellow connects well to the gold, and blue is a fair complement.

btw, i am sorry i was too late in closing the previous thread so some of the last posts were orphaned--if you'd like to re-post your theater tickets shot, please feel free. i thought it was quite strong.

Hulamike wrote:

Nice, tight crop.

thanks, though it isn't cropped at all. just shot wide and close.

If ever a shot cried out for HDR this would be one.

why is that? none of the values are blown out even the slightest bit. i think the representation of the sun-drenched scene is strikingly faithful, which is how i generally prefer things. (that is, i prefer not to add external or contrived drama, over what is there in the scene itself, to the extent practical.)

btw, it is always hard to tell whether we are viewing similar representations of a picture through the web. if it looks to you like there's lost detail in that shot, i suggest you try viewing it on the only global reference standard screen we have available--an ipad, for better or worse. feel free to use one in a store if you don't have your own handy. be sure to view it with the brightness turned either all the way or most of the way up. otherwise, even with calibrated computer screens (mine is, of course), we end up comparing apples to oranges and talking past each other.

i appreciate your taking time to comment--

solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877
tickets (from eXchange #47)

Thanks to xtoph, I can repost here a funny shot from the closed thread. Please, enjoy:

Hulamike

Settle down. I really like this shot. fwiw, when I say nice crop I often mean in camera. I like to get close too.

regarding HDR, I honestly don't know why I said that as I don't shoot or edit my work that way at all. It was the strength of the pose, movement lines down, textured hat, soft dog. For some reason it just clicked that an HDR effect might make this pop in another sort of way. Strengthen it. Just a passing thought.

by the way, I do ALL viewing and as of late ALL image editing on an iPad 2. I'm running a personal experiment to see how far I can go untethered to a computer, Lightroom and CS. So far, pretty far!

Hulamike
Haleakala

Haleakala, the House of the Sun In Hawaiian. This shot taken just after dawn at the top of Haleakala, a dormant volcano on Maui. It's freezing above 10,000 feet, especially at dawn. I captured this native Hawaiian woman contemplating the event while luxuriating in a warm comforter.

Fuji S2 / Nikkor 28-70 f2.8

Alupang
Alupang Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: a talk about books

Nice candid shot here.

Alupang
Garbage Truck Dash; Philippines

Bet you always wondered huh?

Nokia 808 Cameraphone

Hulamike
Re: Garbage Truck Dash; Philippines

Glad to see someone else shooting a cellphone.

Hulamike
Re: tickets (from eXchange #47)

Hilarious! Really good timing too. Sweet Street!

Alupang
Re: Garbage Truck Dash; Philippines

Hulamike wrote:

Glad to see someone else shooting a cellphone.

Yeah well my Nokia 808 is always with me regardless right? With its 26mm effective f2.4 lens, it covers what my  NEX + 100mm cannot.

And image quality is pretty close to NEX APS-C with its 1/1.2" sensor (nearly same size as Sony RX-100) and the lens is far sharper. No other cameraphone has a sensor nearly as large as Nokia 808.

This is wide open f2.4, focused upper left. On APS-C sensor,  it would be impossible to find a 26mm effective lens this sharp at f2.4 regardless of price. Note the Nokia 808 has hyperfocal and infinity presets for quick street candid shots.

Nokia 808 Cameraphone Zeiss 26mm effective f2.4 @ f2.4 focused upper left

The Nokia 808 is killer for street action:

Nokia 808 Cameraphone Hyperfocal Preset Focused

Hulamike
Another iPad Angle

You have sort of hit the proverbial nail on its head. Besides an iPad being an international leveler in terms of DPR image viewing, take that one step further. Where are most images designed to be viewed today? Print? Not really. Publication? Perhaps a small fraction. Even wedding shooters are suffering in the social media age. Brides want Facebook not leather bound albums. The new paradigm is that we shoot for THE WEB and you don't need DSLR or rangefinder for that.

You might find the following interesting. A pro compares image quality between a Leica, a Sony and an iPhone. When viewed on cellphone or iPad, guess what? The iPhone looks pretty damn good. Which is great for shooters like myself who shoot seriously with their iPhones. Take a look here and see for yourself.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/20/4377290/post-process-why-the-smartphone-camera-changed-photography-forever

air dogs 2 and 3

Re: Another iPad Angle

Hulamike wrote:

You have sort of hit the proverbial nail on its head. Besides an iPad being an international leveler in terms of DPR image viewing, take that one step further. Where are most images designed to be viewed today? Print? Not really. Publication? Perhaps a small fraction. Even wedding shooters are suffering in the social media age. Brides want Facebook not leather bound albums. The new paradigm is that we shoot for THE WEB and you don't need DSLR or rangefinder for that.

i print a lot of my photos for exhibition--often quite large-- or publications. and in spite of the collapse of traditional print media, there has never been a better time technically speaking to print photobooks, which i think are probably the best format for street photography.

you're undoubtedly right, though, that the vast majority of end uses are web display, and there's nothing wrong with that.

You might find the following interesting. A pro compares image quality between a Leica, a Sony and an iPhone. When viewed on cellphone or iPad, guess what? The iPhone looks pretty damn good. Which is great for shooters like myself who shoot seriously with their iPhones. Take a look here and see for yourself.

i actually think that the ipad screen is one of the best things to happen to photography. and it is true that a well-executed phone-cam shot can look truly excellent on such screens. i often use my phone to make pictures, though since i carry a real camera everywhere, i don't really need to. i especially like using the panorama feature on my iPhone in... let's say 'unsupported' ways.

i suspect, however, that as 'retina' displays become standard for laptops, desktop screens, and soon 4 or 5k entertainment systems, the pictures that looked so great in the palm of our hand will begin to seem terribly inadequate, technically speaking. everything is relative.

Hulamike
Re: Another iPad Angle

Perhaps. Like you I print for exhibition, but we arE in a distinct minority. I like the idea of print books, very egalitarian. But I must tell you, I am printing 24"x24" archival inkjet from 4 meg iPhone files and they are more than adequate if shot with the proper camera app. I auditioned perhaps 14 different camera apps and have settled on 2-3 for my needs. There is a distinct difference in output quality among them. I'm currently editing everything on an iPad with Photogene, Snapseed and Perfectly Clear. It's an experiment to see how far I can go without a "real" camera or computer, this for creative work mind you. Commercially I could not depend on a phone for the speed, low light capability or quality required. But fun stuff like candid street portrait? my iPhones replaced my real camera 100%.

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,362
Re: air dogs 2 and 3

xtoph wrote:

First:  The woman and dog do a great job of framing and drawing attention to the plastic bag, which is perfectly realized.  

Seriously, plastic bags used to be a curse in our photos, but as sensors and software and our skills have gotten better it is much easier to integrate them into our photos.

Second: Almost perfect except for balance between top and bottom.   The amount of space on top draws attention to the tightness on the bottom and the missing left forepaw.  If the top were a little less generous, I think, the cutoff on the bottom would not be noticed.   I like the expressions and the fact that the two are looking in different directons.  I just noticed that her hair is dyed to match her dress.  It's a strong photo.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads