X-M1

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
REShultz Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: X-M1 - Good move Fuji

Another potential benefit: that of a backup body for travel photographers. If push came to shove, this second body would be affordable and provide similar IQ, albeit without the controls.

Very nice benefit if you're halfway across the world and your camera is stolen.

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,503
Re: Now in Designer Colors....

What a terrible colour. It looks disgusting. Surely a nice pale metallic blue or pale metallic red would have looked nice than that -ugh!

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,503
Re: Does Size Matter?

Also evf is fantastic for zooming in and inspecting an image just taken in bright light to examine for defects. You can reshoot straight away or change settings etc and get the shot right. Not so when only using an LCD screen which only shows the worst errors and the smaller ones wait until you've left the site and discover the defects.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Beat Traveller Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: X-M1

Funniest thing is, I was just out buying a camera for my father in law's 60th present... we ended up choosing the Pentax MX-1.

The camera market can be pretty confusing with all these similar designations!

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,088

Al Valentino wrote:

The M will come in 3 designer colors, Black, Silver and Brown. When companies need to resort to color bodies to make the product sexier and sell... (you fill in the rest).

So what is your point exactly?

As far as I understand, the new Fuji will be offered in silver and black, plus the new colour that was already used in the compact (XF-1 or so). It is not by accident that a majority of reviewers and clients have been praising the Fuji X line for it's beautiful design in a market where utilitarian/ industrial design reigned for many years, with only very few exceptions (like Leica). The X- line cameras look very good in every colour offered, it does not have to be made sexier, it is just a third option.

If you do not like brown, just choose black or silver. But as far as I understand, you do not like the X- line alltogether, So why are you still here? Don't waste your time except if critisizing something is your main pleasure.

Bernie

jcespite Regular Member • Posts: 291

The brown is something my wife will really like.  Now if it camera comes with either the 27 or 16-50, I will chose the 27.  If she want to use the zoom, she can use my 18-55.  As for the aperture ring missing on the 27, I don't really like the electronic ring on the 18-55 and prefer to use my leica lens with a fixed ring.

jcespite's gear list:jcespite's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS OnePlus 3 +1 more
Eddaweaver Senior Member • Posts: 2,232
Re: No PDAF

Source (digicam) says that there is no PDAF in X-M1.

Regards

I think Fuji is making a mistake if it doesn't focus quicker than the X-E1. There is only so much market for a camera with high image quality but relatively slow focus; many of them already own an X-E1 which hasn't been selling like hot cakes lately.. The average person would be happier with a Nikon J1 just for the sake of the faster focus. Fuji should've made their entry into mainstream bodies a model with quick focus because that what nearly everybody who wants something better than a cell phone holds as a bottom line. Furthermore, this model will set the reputation for future models. Two years is a long time to wait for an X-M2 that focuses at a quick pace, and alot of lost sales.

Multiple colours was a good idea but that brown is seriously ugly.

I foresaw them doing a smaller zoom lens and I think it's a good idea. It should get some purchases from Pro1 owners who only have the kit prime.

From an outsider's perspective, and a person who shoots with a Nikon V1, the lessened price tag would help me accept slower AF. The X-line IQ is obviously greater than the Nikon, but the reportedly slow AF has always been scary at such a high price point. At 600-700$ I can just run two systems- horses for courses.

My big worry is really about the quality of the kit lens. The kit lens for the XE-1 is by all accounts stunning. Will this be the same? If not, they you're sacrificing AF speed, a VF, and perhaps IQ, and it becomes less attractive. If the IQ of the kit is great, I'd jump.

Sonel Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Any idea what the exposure compensation dial is used for now?

The XP1 and the XE1 had the dial marked. X-M1 does't have any markings on the button. And frankly if the target market is entry level, then an exposure compensation dial would not make sense.

Maybe that's the aperture dial everyone is looking for! Or maybe you can configure in camera what dial controls what - most DSLR do that.

Sonel's gear list:Sonel's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS +7 more
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,318

REShultz wrote:

My big worry is really about the quality of the kit lens. The kit lens for the XE-1 is by all accounts stunning. Will this be the same? If not, they you're sacrificing AF speed, a VF, and perhaps IQ, and it becomes less attractive. If the IQ of the kit is great, I'd jump.

Excellent Fujinon lenses have been used by the imaging industry for nearly half a century. I don't think Fuji has a clue how to make a poor lens.
While they may not be well known in the consumer marketplace, large and medium format still photographers, and the movie/TV production industry revere their quality. At the moment B&H Photovideo show over 200 motion picture lenses ranging from $2,000 to $160,700US. The quality of a proposed Fujinon is the least of my worries.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more

lnbolch wrote:

REShultz wrote:

Excellent Fujinon lenses have been used by the imaging industry for nearly half a century. I don't think Fuji has a clue how to make a poor lens.
While they may not be well known in the consumer marketplace, large and medium format still photographers, and the movie/TV production industry revere their quality. At the moment B&H Photovideo show over 200 motion picture lenses ranging from $2,000 to $160,700US. The quality of a proposed Fujinon is the least of my worries.

Encouraging, thanks!

mjl699
mjl699 Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: Any idea what the exposure compensation dial is used for now?

Sonel wrote:

The XP1 and the XE1 had the dial marked. X-M1 does't have any markings on the button. And frankly if the target market is entry level, then an exposure compensation dial would not make sense.

Maybe that's the aperture dial everyone is looking for! Or maybe you can configure in camera what dial controls what - most DSLR do that.

I think you're very likely right ...

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

For some reason not easy to explain, the release of this camera has made me want... a GF670.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Luego
Luego Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

I would trade in my X-10 in a heartbeat if the X-M1 had the same fast lens and an EXR sensor...;-)

However, with the X-Trans sensor I pass...

Luego

Luego's gear list:Luego's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

...but now I've won an auction for a GW690III - farewell, digital

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Gaffman
Gaffman Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: X-M1 - Good move Fuji

mjl699 wrote:

Same potential IQ as the rest of the X range, but smaller and simpler and cheaper. Great for someone who wants the best IQ, but who can't or won't afford an XP- or XE-1. They get the X system and X sensor and can invest in time in lenses ... and go from there.

Presuming the aperture ring really has been removed from the 27mm, is it possible that the main dial on the lends could be switchable between focus and aperture? It's fly-by-wire after all.

Boom! Spot on.  Theres plenty of dense X users around here who seem to think Fuji is "going in the wrong direction" or "forgetting their roots"... blah blah blah.  The truth is as you say good sir, if someone can't afford the X-E1 but still want a mirrorless camera then plenty of other brands can cater to their needs... but now they needn't look elsewhere and Fuji needn't lose potential long term customers.

Also I think you're bang on about the 27mm switchable ring, especially on the higher bodies.  Select AF and you get an aperture dial... select MF and you get a focus dial.  You'd lose the tactile feel of the aperture notches but it'd still work.  Good idea in my mind.

-- hide signature --

'Focus Neo...'

OP bentheoandrews Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Fuji got it right this time, almost ...

forpetessake wrote:

After using X-E1 for awhile, I find this design a lot more appealing.

• reduced size and weight - plus.
  • wider kit lens - plus.
  • tilting LCD - huge plus. I hate fixed LCD on X-E1, it's quite useless.
  • no AF/MF switch on front, what the heck Fuji was thinking putting this thing there on X-E1?
  • PASM dial - plus in my book. Don't like the aperture dial, especially unlabeled one, don't like the wacky shutter speed dial. The PASM dial was the result of the evolutionary improvements, what was Fuji thinking bringing the shutter dial from yesteryear on X-E1?

They got it almost right, but one crucial element is still missing. And no, it's not an EVF, I couldn't care less about it. Never liked looking into a keyhole experience. What's missing is a good grip. One most unpleasant thing about using X-E1 is the lack of grip. It's even more important in this design with tilting LCD, because holding camera up or down would require twisting one's hand into awkward positions and the real possibilities of dropping the camera, pushing the wrong buttons, etc. But they are getting closer, maybe they'll get it right the next time around.

Did you actually buy the XE1? Sounds like it is everything you don't want in a camera. 

bentheoandrews's gear list:bentheoandrews's gear list
Leica X2 Leica Q Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
Anthony Alongi Regular Member • Posts: 351

I have an X10 and I will take the XM-1 as rumored.  Yes, it would be nice to have the XE-1 in a scaled down version, but this works for me.  I was in the "must have a viewfinder" camp until very recently, when I had the chance to use an Olympus E-PL5 with the tilting screen.  I found that tilting the screen upwards and looking down (a la a medium format film camera) quite natural - and with the benefit of that huge screen as a viewfinder.  Would I miss the actual viewfinder?  Occasionally, but the tilt screen makes up for it for me 90% of the time.  I have never pre-ordered a camera, but if most of the rest of the specs on this one check out, I will pre-order one ASAP.  My guess is that Fuji knows what it is doing - the vast majority of camera buyers do not hang out on DPR and obsess over the things that many of us do.  Many of them have never even visited a "real" camera store!  This looks like a great step up from the X10/X20 and the perfect step down from the XE series.  I'm buying!

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

Anthony Alongi's gear list:Anthony Alongi's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Lmendy Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Anthony Alongi wrote:

I have an X10 and I will take the XM-1 as rumored. Yes, it would be nice to have the XE-1 in a scaled down version, but this works for me. I was in the "must have a viewfinder" camp until very recently, when I had the chance to use an Olympus E-PL5 with the tilting screen. I found that tilting the screen upwards and looking down (a la a medium format film camera) quite natural - and with the benefit of that huge screen as a viewfinder. Would I miss the actual viewfinder? Occasionally, but the tilt screen makes up for it for me 90% of the time. I have never pre-ordered a camera, but if most of the rest of the specs on this one check out, I will pre-order one ASAP. My guess is that Fuji knows what it is doing - the vast majority of camera buyers do not hang out on DPR and obsess over the things that many of us do. Many of them have never even visited a "real" camera store! This looks like a great step up from the X10/X20 and the perfect step down from the XE series. I'm buying!

I would love a relatively small camera with a zoom starting at 24mm equivalent.  It would not bother me to much to lose the EVF as long as there was a tilt screen (I suppose that if the camera is popular, Fuji might consider an accessory EVF).  I have looked at the NEXs and the Olys and I was just not happy with the images I saw.  Not that they were bad, but Sony always seem to have to much noise reduction and Oly images always seemed clipped to me.  The only thing that concerns me about Fuji is the af.  I want to make sure that the af is fast, accurate and efficient.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
evil_e Regular Member • Posts: 198

X-M1 is reported  to have focus peaking; does this mean we'll see focus peaking added to the X-E1/X-P1 via firmware update?

evil_e's gear list:evil_e's gear list
Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads