X-M1

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
DDWD10
DDWD10 Contributing Member • Posts: 703
Re: X-M1

I like it - in size it looks roughly similar to the X20.  Hopefully that LCD finally abandons the old 460k resolution for something more modern (921k+).  With twin control dials I don't think it will be as compromised as some think.  I had no trouble controlling my X10 with a similar setup.

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic G85 Pentax 03 Fish-Eye +10 more
Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

bentheoandrews wrote:

Hope this hasn't already been posted - couldn't see it anywhere on here.

What do we think?

Me thinks, big MEH!

Does absolutly nothing for me.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

My only disappointment is the lack of aperture ring on the pancake.

That being said, I'm happy to see Fuji expanding the line, more customers equals more lenses, support, bodies, etc and makes me feel better about investing in the system long term.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
no VF

That alone would kill any interest in it.

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

I'm kind of interested in it as something to hold me over until the XP2 comes out.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha a7R Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T10
Kwick1 Contributing Member • Posts: 827

The lack of viewfinder is the killer for me. No thanks.

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic G85 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Neither cr*p nor bad

bentheoandrews wrote:

What do we think?

It's pointless to whine about whether or not Fuji should have been making this or a new WA or portrait lens. I won't be buying it, but it's not for any current X user, it's for a wider market of different people that Fuji doesn't currently sell to.

The truth is they should do this. Why? Because they'll never have market share otherwise. Market share drives people onto the system (there has to be a reason why people keep buying NEX cameras) and means third party manufacturers are more likely to independently innovate (think getthing the Sigma mirrorless lenses in X mount or getting improved RAW support).

Without market share, the system will be unprofitable and will eventually die.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Neither cr*p nor bad

sgoldswo wrote:

bentheoandrews wrote:

What do we think?

It's pointless to whine about whether or not Fuji should have been making this or a new WA or portrait lens. I won't be buying it, but it's not for any current X user, it's for a wider market of different people that Fuji doesn't currently sell to.

The truth is they should do this. Why? Because they'll never have market share otherwise. Market share drives people onto the system (there has to be a reason why people keep buying NEX cameras) and means third party manufacturers are more likely to independently innovate (think getthing the Sigma mirrorless lenses in X mount or getting improved RAW support).

Without market share, the system will be unprofitable and will eventually die.

Exactly. Everyone that whines about RAW support, third party lenses, or otherwise, should be huge fans of this. More sales equals more support in general. Imagine if Adobe fixes their RAW support, that alone would be huge. But Sigma releasing XF lenses would also be great.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

I believe it is the answer to the NEX-3-5's, not the NEX-6. The NEX-6 is the direct competion to the X-E1 because both have EVF's and are more pro build with dials.

I am sorry, but I do not consider the Oly's or Pany's a direct competition because it is basically the best APS-C sensor in the market vs the smaller M43. I have seen and used the E-M5's and the GH-2/G5 of Pany, though they are good cameras, the image quality is not comparable to what the X Trans delivers, especially in high ISO and detail.

I think this is a very good move by Fuji. They are trying to attract amateurs with this new camera system, making it more user friendly while still delivering spectacular image quality.

NachoYogi Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Neither cr*p nor bad

+1

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D300S +9 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073

See this thread I just posted with the pancake lens. I suspect the pictures from the 'rumors' site are not correct

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3506097#forum-post-51678329

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
andyjayscott Regular Member • Posts: 132

Looking fine to me. The more the merrier. I'm pretty sure an aperture adjustment on a rear dial instead of on lens would take five minutes to get used to and if it makes the whole thing more compact so much the better.

Wifi is an important addition for serious work like reportage so it's not just the usual "here's my baby making a stupid face" which gets planted on Facebook and the likes which some think is pandering to the herd mentality and cheapening the brand. It does neither in the right hands.

Tilting screens are cool, too. I hope the screen is touch sensitive. It's the 21st century not the 'rangefound' '50's.

Felix11 Regular Member • Posts: 116

Me too ... a cheap way on to the ladder knowing that down the line I will get the X-Pro2

Felix11's gear list:Felix11's gear list
Panasonic LX100
briny Regular Member • Posts: 275

Al Valentino wrote:

Not for me. Personally, i think this cheapens the brand a little. I saw fuji as a cousin to Leica interchangeable lens bodies with quality lenses and no consumer gimmicks. Now with a slow lens, which will likely have focus problems, and consumer gimmicks like wifi, tilt screens, and NO Viewfinder, it is a toy camera. Fuji was building a solid reputation as a photographers cameras now it is something you hold away from you to see the glarring LCD as you try to get the slow lens to focus. A viewfinder no only help see without glare issues, it also acts as a point of stabilization against your head letting you take sharp pictures in low shutter speeds. I guess in the end all companies seems to cater to consumers not just serious enthusiasts or pros.

I also think their time would have been better spent getting those remaining lenses out to help sell more cameras, with viewfinders, and build their rep are a great camera with the best lens options.

I know how you feel. The lack of gimmicks (wi-fi, tilt screen) is exactly what drew me to the Fuji line over its competitors. Along with the great image quality, too, of course.

I too would have preferred Fuji to concentrate their resources on those upcoming lenses.

However, the mirror-less market on the whole is not so hot these days, and Fuji as a small player in that market must be feeling the pinch. This camera is aimed at all those people who have commented that they would love to get the Fuji image quality, but it's too expensive, there's no tilt screen, no wi-fi, poor video, etc. If, and that's a big "if", these features are well executed, I can see the M1 being a big hit with that market. A broader customer base is good for the company, and all of us existing users, in the long run.

briny's gear list:briny's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,317

Great move by Fuji - this directly competes with Sony NEX, Olympuses and other m43 crowd.   Before, with XPRO1 pricing initally near $2000 and XE1 near $1400, it was competing with serious DSLRs.

This is a smart move.  Create a clearly inferior line with inferior lenses for general consumer that would directly compete PRICEWISE with Sony NEX, and m43 crowd.    A consumer comes to a store and sees Fuji XM1 next to Sony NEX next to Olympus EPL1 or Panasonic.    They are all priced similarly, but Fuji definitely LOOKS BETTER comparing to the others.   So this consumer will pick the Fuji!!!!  I am surprised they did not make it available in 10 different colors.

At the same time they want to protect the serious line of XPRO1/E1 and not offend us owners that invested in that gear.  So they remove the PDAF on sensor from XM1 which they clearly had available (X100s/X20) and remove the shutter speed wheel, remove the viewfinder, remove the AF/MF switch, etc.  Add cheap lenses without aperture control, just like Sony 16-50.

I just hope that Fuji does not get too much involved in that XM1 line and forgets about XPRO1/E1 users.   You know like they did with F30/F31 which were great cameras and what they did with that line (killed it and cheapened it out).

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EOS Rebel T7i Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EOS 6D +20 more
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 8,992

I think this is a very good move by Fuji. They are trying to attract amateurs with this new camera system, making it more user friendly while still delivering spectacular image quality.

I agree a very good strategy indeed, same IQ lower price

Also a possible 2nd body

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +11 more

baobob wrote:

But, if the slower lens creates focus issues, then that taints the name. At 55mm f/4 the good fuji zoom can have issues. So at 50mm f/5.6 the cheap fuji zoom may not perform better - and the people who handle that low end camera/lens combo will be more consumers that expect 'auto everything', not advanced photographers that learn their gear and master its annoying nuances.

Hope I am wrong and fuji has a new magic sauce in their new firmware. Else, potential focus issues with a low end body might keep people from buying into the brand and moving up to the new lenses that users wanted and got put on the back burner.

I admit that I am probably more upset with the cheap stuff than I should be. But to me, they just diluted the brand. This should have been a 2014 project - after all pro lenses are out and XPro2 with new technology is available.

Olympus E-M1 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,317

Al Valentino wrote:

baobob wrote:

But, if the slower lens creates focus issues, then that taints the name. At 55mm f/4 the good fuji zoom can have issues. So at 50mm f/5.6 the cheap fuji zoom may not perform better - and the people who handle that low end camera/lens combo will be more consumers that expect 'auto everything', not advanced photographers that learn their gear and master its annoying nuances.

Hope I am wrong and fuji has a new magic sauce in their new firmware. Else, potential focus issues with a low end body might keep people from buying into the brand and moving up to the new lenses that users wanted and got put on the back burner.

I admit that I am probably more upset with the cheap stuff than I should be. But to me, they just diluted the brand. This should have been a 2014 project - after all pro lenses are out and XPro2 with new technology is available.

but they are after profit.   diluting the brand is the last thing on their mind.  What are they Leica? They want to get the piece of the cheap consumer mirrorless market.   There is more sales/profit there than in $1400-$2000 segment.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EOS Rebel T7i Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EOS 6D +20 more
nixda Veteran Member • Posts: 5,515
Why all the hubbub about aperture rings?

dengx wrote:

bentheoandrews wrote:

What do we think?

It's ok, but seeing no aperture rings on the pancake and the new zoom is a little disappoiting...

Regards

Sure, rings and dials provide a nice tactile way to set shutter speed, aperture, focal length, and/or focus distance, but their absence is not a deal breaker, for me anyway. On the contrary, there are plenty of situations where I actually prefer having control over said parameters using buttons or dials (most notably for tripod shooting and tethered shooting). On the higher-end X-Trans cameras, shutter speed has to be set through a combination of physical dial and thumb wheel in many situations. I find that much more annoying than not having the dial in the first place.

The X-M1 looks like a nice camera; it's compactness compared to the X-E1 and the X-Pro1 is really a big selling point, I am sure.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Does Size Matter?

Does size matter? Especially if you have big hands?

Below are the relative sizes of the bodies. Would have been nice if the same case fit both bodies but you decide for yourself

To me the XE1 was a smaller, less expensive alternative to the XPro1. They took out the Optical viewfinder and made the body smaller. Now they remove the viewfinder altogether. Personally, if I want to take a picture without a viewfinder and hold the camera out, I pull out my iPhone.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads