Power-On by USB Mouse? ASUS MB

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Robert Schoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,013
Power-On by USB Mouse? ASUS MB

Hi,

I have anew ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard. Is there any way to power on by USB mouse. Seems like it will only power-on by PS/2 and nobody seems to carry PS/2 cordless mouse any more.

Thanks,

Bob Schoner

SushiEater
SushiEater Senior Member • Posts: 5,607
Re: Power-On by USB Mouse? ASUS MB

What do you mean Power On by the mouse?

Do you mean awaken from sleep?

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +9 more
Robert Schoner OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,013

Hi,

I usually power off at night and power on in the morning. The tower will be under a desk so it's not convenient to reach the on button. In the past I had no trouble with ps/2 mouse but this machine has a combo ps/2 port so I can't do both mouse and keyboard. I wanted a new mouse/keyboard but all I can find are USB.  I suppose I could use old ps/2 mouse and new usb keyboard. I think it will wake from sleep by the usb mouse but not a cold start.

Bob Schoner

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 10,977

Robert Schoner wrote:

Hi,

I have anew ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard. Is there any way to power on by USB mouse. Seems like it will only power-on by PS/2 and nobody seems to carry PS/2 cordless mouse any more.

When Apple was still using ADB keyboards, several Macs had this type of power switch on the keyboard.  After Apple went to USB, none did.  I believe people asked "why?", and someone (not sure if it was Apple) said that the USB specifications prohibit the power switch feature.

If there is such a restriction on USB keyboards, I would assume that it also applies to USB mice.

Just about any USB keyboard or mouse can, however, trigger "wake from sleep on input events".

Glenn Haley Senior Member • Posts: 1,220

I used my PS2 keyboard to start my computer until I replaced it with a USB keyboard and I miss that feature too.

It should be possible to disconnect your computer case power switch from the motherboard and replace it with a lead running out of the case to switch box near your mouse/keyboard. If your case has external outputs such as a headset socket that lead out could be used for the power switch input/output source. While you're at it you could also run a lead outs to display an IDE LED and or Power LED.

Robert Schoner OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,013

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid I was going to lose this feature. I might try doing a mix of new keyboard with the old PS/2 mouse.

Bob Schoner

han47 Regular Member • Posts: 250

Hello,

dont know your board, but for mine you have to enable this function in the motherboard BIOS.

I`m using a Gigabyte board.

Ciao, Han

EDIT : I`m using a USB mouse so the problem is not USB.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads