Oh so average. Could have been better.

Started Jun 19, 2013 | User reviews
John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,919
Oh so average. Could have been better.

From the off I must state I have limited experience with the camera. As a camera type the idea of a weatherproof pocket alternative to my main camera was an attraction. However once the internet purchase arrived the disappointment began.

First of all - good lens, crisp resolution at base ISO. Not bad at all and certainly enough for the camera type. The look and feel of the camera is fine. All boxes ticked on the camera exterior.

But then we come to the photographs. Now whilst I came into this purchase with truly no great demands of the image quality, I was surprised to realise I was expecting better; much better. Let's not mess about; samples:

Well. All I can say is that this is just hopeless.

My main camera is an FZ50, and the images from both cannot be put together in the same slideshow.

Try indoors:

Yikes!Download the originals and check them out. Just horrific.

And again an FZ50 image for comparison.

Now no matter how much sugar you put on this, you simply cannot keep FT20 images in the same building as your other photographs. They are simply shown up as very poor indeed. And there is a high price to pay in storage memory as well. The samples above collect to 13,127kb for the FT20, and 3339kb for the FZ50; very close to four times the storage space needed for the FT20! And for what!

There are occasions, in good light, where the FT20 will out resolve the FZ50. And again, in the brightest of light, the FT20 will take a good photograph. But the cameras image quality is limited to and extremely narrow band of conditions. The whole idea of a weatherproof pocket average snappy is negated by a near on zero keeper rate.

Were I designing this camera, I would give it a quality 3MP sensor, not the pixel packed struggle biscuit that's in it at the moment. I use this camera to perform structural surveys on ship. It's OK. That is all. For this I give it one and a half stars.

This camera has been superseded. But unless a revelation in image quality has been realised in the upgrade, be very wary.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/show (some real gems in there). With the FZ200 performance so good, I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao has triggered the update to the FZ50. Our desire for IQ was taking us in the wrong direction. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 (Lumix DMC-FT20)
16 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 25 – 100 mm (4×)
Announced: Jan 31, 2012
John Miles's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
mediocre
Portraits
acceptable
Low light (without flash)
bad
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 (Lumix DMC-FT20)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 15,225
Re: Oh so average. Could have been better.

Disappointing John but you are comparing against the FZ50. No doubt a bit of PP  would help. The Olympus, Fuji and Pentax all weather cameras tend to do better than the equivalent Pannys. Is it too late to return the camera?

-- hide signature --
 windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
John Miles
OP John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,919

Yes too late. The higher ISO's are necessary to give this camera any photographic latitude at all, hence you set it to Iiso and the rest is how it is. Beyond its review, colour calibration has been around for years, yet is not available in this camera. It shoots blue and so literally no images are usable in my house without individual and painstaking post processing. So when the FZ50 regularly packs a 95% plus keeper rate, OOC, the spotlight falls on the FT20.

I think I make a valid point in the review; in reference to people with more than one camera. When we return from a family day out, the images are collected together and sorted by time. A  slideshow then begins over a cup of tea. The FT20 is no longer counted in this collection, losing out even to the eight year old Casio EX-S500.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/show (some real gems in there). With the FZ200 performance so good, I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao has triggered the update to the FZ50. Our desire for IQ was taking us in the wrong direction. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095

Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,248

Iso 500 vs iso 100 ??? wouldn't be a case of testers bias against new fangled products would it?

That said all the wp cameras seem to scarifice image quality in the 'ruggedisation' process, - the optics has to withstand being dropped onto concrete etc.

-- hide signature --
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,827
Re: Oh so average. But better than 1 1/2 Stars I think.

I have a TS20 and though the image quality is not great I find that the camera performs fairly well for what it is - a cheap (I paid $95. on an Amazon.com special) - underwater camera that is definitely rugged and small. You need to work with the images in post processing to get the most from this little tyke. That said, the Nikon AW110 and Olympus TG-2 are much better and more costly alternatives.

TS20 snorkeling image from Bonaire

trunk fish. Bonaire.

Steve82 Senior Member • Posts: 2,912

I neither have an FT20 nor do I intend to buy one.   However, I don't think that you should compare ISO500 shots on one camera to ISO100 shots on the other one.   The small sensor and dim lens (max aperture of F3.9 - F5.7) pretty much means that this camera was only intended for use outdoors on bright and sunny days.

John Miles

Well all I can say is let one of our lovely Casio EX S-500's have a say:

Casio Ex S-500 - AUTO ISO

Casio ES S-500 50 ISO

Casio EX S-500 AUTO ISO

FT20 - ISO 100

The Casio is 2005 technology, and owns the FT20 in all bar sunlight.

-- hide signature --

Jerry045
Jerry045 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,551

You are definately getting more saturation from the Casio and the FZ50. One certainly can agree with your disappointment in IQ.

If you don't need the underwater capability, I would suggest looking at the TZ30 or TZ25, as they are known in your country. From my own ZS19 and lots of posts from Erik and Sherm and Daniel, they do show excellent image quality that is quite acceptable next to the FZ50.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

John Miles wrote:

From the off I must state I have limited experience with the camera. As a camera type the idea of a weatherproof pocket alternative to my main camera was an attraction. However once the internet purchase arrived the disappointment began.

First of all - good lens, crisp resolution at base ISO. Not bad at all and certainly enough for the camera type. The look and feel of the camera is fine. All boxes ticked on the camera exterior.

But then we come to the photographs. Now whilst I came into this purchase with truly no great demands of the image quality, I was surprised to realise I was expecting better; much better. Let's not mess about; samples:

My main camera is an FZ50, and the images from both cannot be put together in the same slideshow.

Try indoors:

Now no matter how much sugar you put on this, you simply cannot keep FT20 images in the same building as your other photographs. They are simply shown up as very poor indeed. And there is a high price to pay in storage memory as well. The samples above collect to 13,127kb for the FT20, and 3339kb for the FZ50; very close to four times the storage space needed for the FT20! And for what!

There are occasions, in good light, where the FT20 will out resolve the FZ50. And again, in the brightest of light, the FT20 will take a good photograph. But the cameras image quality is limited to and extremely narrow band of conditions. The whole idea of a weatherproof pocket average snappy is negated by a near on zero keeper rate.

Were I designing this camera, I would give it a quality 3MP sensor, not the pixel packed struggle biscuit that's in it at the moment. I use this camera to perform structural surveys on ship. It's OK. That is all. For this I give it one and a half stars.

This camera has been superseded. But unless a revelation in image quality has been realised in the upgrade, be very wary.

I'm sorry John, but if you have so little experience with this camera than why are you writing this "review"? I mean no offense but it really does a disservice to those people who might be interested in a model like this. These examples that you show could be significantly improved by selecting better settings in-camera prior to shooting and not just relying on iA. For example in the first shot it would have helped to use the exposure compensation set to around -2/3 and white balance set to shade or cloudy. On the indoor shot of a static scene there is no reason to shoot at 1/60 sec and ISO 500 when 1/15 or slower is easily doable. I just shot some test shots with my little FP8, which is similar in overall design as the TS20 and was able to get 1/6 sec at ISO 200 with just a little effort. The auto review on my camera can be set to magnify the image to 100% so in an instant I can tell if I need to retake the shot. I'm not sure if your camera has this feature or not but I find it very valuable, especially for indoor shooting.

Some shots do take a little more effort from small cameras like this to realize their full image potential. It would be nice to be able to just set the camera to iA mode and let it do its thing, and that's actually plenty good enough for most casual users, but in a "review" like this then you really should take some control of the camera yourself so the shots are more representative of what you can actually achieve.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
John Miles

Timj351 wrote:

John Miles wrote:

Try indoors:

I'm sorry John, but if you have so little experience with this camera than why are you writing this "review"?

I write the review because the little experience was enough to recognise the camera as a dud. I declare a lot of experience of a camera as 5,000 plus photos.

I mean no offense but it really does a disservice to those people who might be interested in a model like this.

The reverse is true. I perform with this review the necessary service of telling people to be wary of this camera's image quality.

These examples that you show could be significantly improved by selecting better settings in-camera prior to shooting and not just relying on iA. For example in the first shot it would have helped to use the exposure compensation set to around -2/3 and white balance set to shade or cloudy. On the indoor shot of a static scene there is no reason to shoot at 1/60 sec and ISO 500 when 1/15 or slower is easily doable.

All that you speak of is time wasting camera adjustment at the expense of the moment in the attempt to make good on a camera of poor capability. In my house there is a Fuji 2800 zoom, Casio EX S-500, Canon A620, Olympus Mju 850, Sony TZ5, FZ20, FZ50's, and a canon 60D; and the FT20. The FT20 is the newest and bottom of the pile.

I just shot some test shots with my little FP8, which is similar in overall design as the TS20 and was able to get 1/6 sec at ISO 200 with just a little effort.

If your just a little effort was more than 10 seconds then half your photo opportunities have just vanished.

The auto review on my camera can be set to magnify the image to 100% so in an instant I can tell if I need to retake the shot.

Again. Loss of photo opportunity because a camera needed to be nursed into being able to take the shot.

I'm not sure if your camera has this feature or not but I find it very valuable, especially for indoor shooting.

Some shots do take a little more effort from small cameras like this to realize their full image potential. It would be nice to be able to just set the camera to iA mode and let it do its thing, and that's actually plenty good enough for most casual users, but in a "review" like this then you really should take some control of the camera yourself so the shots are more representative of what you can actually achieve.

Wrong. I fully expect an Ai mode or any such specially advertised feature to mean something. I fully expect to pay a price in image quality for the opportunity to carry a pocket sized waterproof camera. I bought a point and shoot in the full expectation of being able to point and shoot. I can not. It does not. People need to know this.

In my personal opinion, to own the FT20 requires it set to ISO100, 3MP and Vivid colour; the settings it stays on in our house. These settings dull the spike in camera resolution in bright light, but otherwise it loses no image quality yet quarters the file size and generates images that are marginally useful. If the Mju850 (same price) was SD driven I'd revert back to it in the blink of an eye.

-Tim

-- hide signature --

Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

John Miles wrote:

Timj351 wrote:

John Miles wrote:

Try indoors:

I'm sorry John, but if you have so little experience with this camera than why are you writing this "review"?

I write the review because the little experience was enough to recognise the camera as a dud. I declare a lot of experience of a camera as 5,000 plus photos.

I mean no offense but it really does a disservice to those people who might be interested in a model like this.

The reverse is true. I perform with this review the necessary service of telling people to be wary of this camera's image quality.

These examples that you show could be significantly improved by selecting better settings in-camera prior to shooting and not just relying on iA. For example in the first shot it would have helped to use the exposure compensation set to around -2/3 and white balance set to shade or cloudy. On the indoor shot of a static scene there is no reason to shoot at 1/60 sec and ISO 500 when 1/15 or slower is easily doable.

All that you speak of is time wasting camera adjustment at the expense of the moment in the attempt to make good on a camera of poor capability. In my house there is a Fuji 2800 zoom, Casio EX S-500, Canon A620, Olympus Mju 850, Sony TZ5, FZ20, FZ50's, and a canon 60D; and the FT20. The FT20 is the newest and bottom of the pile.

I just shot some test shots with my little FP8, which is similar in overall design as the TS20 and was able to get 1/6 sec at ISO 200 with just a little effort.

If your just a little effort was more than 10 seconds then half your photo opportunities have just vanished.

The auto review on my camera can be set to magnify the image to 100% so in an instant I can tell if I need to retake the shot.

Again. Loss of photo opportunity because a camera needed to be nursed into being able to take the shot.

I'm not sure if your camera has this feature or not but I find it very valuable, especially for indoor shooting.

Wrong. I fully expect an Ai mode or any such specially advertised feature to mean something. I fully expect to pay a price in image quality for the opportunity to carry a pocket sized waterproof camera. I bought a point and shoot in the full expectation of being able to point and shoot. I can not. It does not. People need to know this.

In my personal opinion, to own the FT20 requires it set to ISO100, 3MP and Vivid colour; the settings it stays on in our house. These settings dull the spike in camera resolution in bright light, but otherwise it loses no image quality yet quarters the file size and generates images that are marginally useful. If the Mju850 (same price) was SD driven I'd revert back to it in the blink of an eye.

-Tim

Ok. As I said I didn't mean to offend you. I just don't think what your wrote required an official forum "review" which, to me, implies a certain level of experience with the specific camera model and a more thorough analysis of the main features and image quality. I would have no issues if you had just offered up your opinion in a regular forum post and stated what you dislike about the camera's iA mode.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
John Miles

Alas it was the waterproof quality that I needed Jerry. I happily sport the FZ50 wherever I go, despite its size over a pocket zoom. The FT20 was purchased to open up photo opportunities in damp or wet conditions, when by their nature light levels are off peak. So it transpires that whenever I select to use it, it is hopeless.

As a reader of Dpreview since around 2004 I have witnessed the necessary change (because reviews were eternally grim) in the method of reviews conducted on the site. In around 2009/2010 a long running battle by reviewers of small sensor cameras here was surrendered. Suddenly small camera image quality was upgraded; being talked about more positively. At the same time the still life test was re-arranged, so no more direct comparison could be made with previous cameras. Cameras that would previously have scored 60% (had the scoring method been used back then) were now being graded 70%. It proved to be a cover up of the fact that very little increase in image quality, if at all, was being achieved, and that decent, factual information about past camera could no longer be compared.

As far as I am aware, in this now foggy mass of camera information, the Canon A640 remains a truly magnificent camera. In its review it holds it ground with the G7, whilst costing far less at the time. And interestingly it is compared in its review with that other all time point and shoot masterpiece, the Fuji F30. Can you imagine a review comparison between FT20 and the F30 ??!!! The FT20 would end up in a crusher. Look at a screen shot of a current Dpreview comparison where I have pasted the same image area from the F30 to the right (all ISO 800):

A current review capture - with Fuji F30 ISO 800 sample pasted to the right.

The F30 was one of  the last cameras made before the need for increased small sensor dynamic range topped the review news. The colour black was a major casualty of this design trend; which especially damaged a cameras ability to render fine detail. Between 2007 and 2010 the rendering in fine detail of things like distant foliage suffered horribly; not helped by the fact that software lens correction was in it infancy, and blurring the edges of photos in excess of half a pixel (a lot).

For my money Panasonic cameras came of  age with the introduction of calibratable white balance (2005). In one stroke, colour control in camera was revolutionised and made tunable to personal preference. In this guise the FZ200 began as the FZ8 for example (which Dov uses to this day to incredible effect). As far as I am concerned WB calibration should be standard to all cameras by now. It is not a feature in the FT20, much to its cost.

-- hide signature --

John Miles

I wanted it linked to site searches for information on the camera, not lost in a forum archive. The camera in genuinely below par.

-- hide signature --

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,468
You want better, get the TS5 (FT5).

windmillgolfer wrote:

Disappointing John but you are comparing against the FZ50. No doubt a bit of PP would help. The Olympus, Fuji and Pentax all weather cameras tend to do better than the equivalent Pannys. Is it too late to return the camera?

The Panasonic flagship ruggedized camera is the TS5 (FT5). It is far superior. Panasonic's  top ruggedized cameras have always been better than the competition. The low-level model reviewed here is typical of a cheap camera.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +6 more
John Miles
Re: You want better, get the TS5 (FT5).

Pleased to hear it. It though I'd be matching the similarly priced Mju850 I own. But there we are.

-- hide signature --

primozp
primozp Contributing Member • Posts: 792

John Miles wrote:

I wanted it linked to site searches for information on the camera, not lost in a forum archive. The camera in genuinely below par.

Dear John Miles, your comparison is completely meaningless, inappropriate and even harmful. As a owner of 14 underwater compact cameras (http://www.flickr.com/photos/primozp/sets/72157633756660405/) and user of at least 10 more, I assure you that TS20 is not as bad as you claim, and I wonder about your real intentions in this comparison. I also wonder what's the point to compare the cameras of two such different segments  ???

As mentioned before, take a FT4 (TS4) or even better, FT5 (TS5) camera, and compare it with your FZ50.

Or even better, take any other underwater camera in same price range as TS20, and make a fair comparison.

-- hide signature --

My (mostly underwater) photos and videos taken with
Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax compact UW cameras:
photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/primozp/sets/
video footage @ http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimozP/videos?view=1&flow=list&sort=dd

primozp's gear list:primozp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5
John Miles

primozp wrote:

John Miles wrote:

Dear John Miles, your comparison is completely meaningless, inappropriate and even harmful.

Oh I think my comments are full of meaning - don't buy it until you are happy with the image quality.

As a owner of 14 underwater compact cameras (http://www.flickr.com/photos/primozp/sets/72157633756660405/) and user of at least 10 more, I assure you that TS20 is not as bad as you claim, and I wonder about your real intentions in this comparison.

My intentions are to state that this camera does not stack up against any of the others I own, and in our house its images are more often deleted than those of any other camera by a factor of 10 at least. On some less than bright sunlight occasions we (the family) simply ditch the entire content. Oh we gave it the time to prove itself. It bombed. Huge 6Mb files of storage munching dullness. We no longer use it.

I also wonder what's the point to compare the cameras of two such different segments ???

Well because in a family or other situation cameras work in packs, with their output drawn to a single collection. As I have said a few posts up, I have many cameras and this one, the newest, is bottom of the bunch.

As mentioned before, take a FT4 (TS4) or even better, FT5 (TS5) camera, and compare it with your FZ50.

Separate topic, other than I wish I had paid more. Pay more people. The FZ50 can be out resolved these days, but it remains the King of the slideshows in our house.

Or even better, take any other underwater camera in same price range as TS20, and make a fair comparison.

I bought into weatherproof and hardy. If my one ends up underwater, I'm swimming for shore as a first priority.

You need to write your own review to provide the balance you seek.

-- hide signature --

My (mostly underwater) photos and videos taken with
Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax compact UW cameras:
photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/primozp/sets/
video footage @ http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimozP/videos?view=1&flow=list&sort=dd

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads