Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Questions
tashley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,189
Re: I have NEVER tested my D800E
1

Congratulations! In the (nearly) ten years I have been a member here, that is about the daftest post I have read. If only there were Challenges for illogical thinking!

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

AND I NEVER WILL.

I really could care less. The thing is going to be worth a mere $200 or so in a decade anyway.

Why should I care when my future-self doesn't even look in the D800E folders anymore, because he's so much more involved with the new camera he has in the future instead of this one.

And anyway, it's mostly on the Left AF point, and frankly I don't even care.

I would say that only 5-10% of the people who own a D800E even use the camera to its full potential. The rest of the people shoot the camera like it's a D700, and therefore removing the years of resolution progress that has been made from then until now. If you aren't printing large, buy a D700 or a D3 or D3s. The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence. If you aren't using that by printing large or cropping hard, then you might as well have a D3s or D3 or D700. It really makes no sense for most D800E owners to even have the camera at all.

The D800e is meant for live-view or otherwise taking your sweet time getting the best shot in a studio environment where you are tethered to your computer and your hands are not on the camera which is set to manual focus, no VR, mirror up, and a remote or in this case a tether to the computer (hands off!!!) or for natural landscapes with the same precautions.

People *USE* the D800E for all sorts of stuff, but the camera was specifically designed for its resolution and those who can take their time to collect all the resolution that is available from this camera. Can you use it like a D4 or a D3s? Sort of, but that's not what it was made for.

Believe me when I say to you that no one who is shooting landscapes or studio will care all that much about the Left AF not working. Like I said, mine could be the worst that has ever been made. I wouldn't know, it will never ever show, and I don't care.

The camera was made for specific groups of people. They know that others will buy it anyway, but it's meant for studio and natural landscapes. It's not meant for street photography or sports or anything except those who have the forever and a day to set up the shot. If that's not you, then you can still take a picture with this amazing camera, but it is NOT what the camera was made for.

-- hide signature --

Gallery & Blog : http://www.timashley.com

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,962
I was with you until this claim

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence. If you aren't using that by printing large or cropping hard, then you might as well have a D3s or D3 or D700.

You do not seem to understand resolution. Perhaps a deeper personal analysis of D800 files vs D700 files at various image sizes might help educate you.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?
1

CFynn wrote:

Before you give yourself ulcers, ask yourself is this "issue" really going to be a problem in 99.9% of your photographs?

You mentioned earlier you are photographing paintings and landscapes.

For copying paintings use a (manual focus) lens designed for copy work on a tripod with live view, and good, flat lighting. (Any other lens is likely to have a curved field of focus and other issues.) In that situation autofocus is not a problem.

For landscape it is also preferable to use a tripod and live view - again autofocus not an issue.

If you are using autofocus for landscape, aren't you usually going to have the lens stopped down, isn't the subject is generally going to be further away than your test shots, and how often are you going to be using the left-most AF points?

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

When shooting flat surfaces - use a lens with a flat field of focus and make sure your camera is aligned on a perfectly parrallel plane with the subject.

The outer AF points are never going to be anywhere near as reliable as the central point. Nobody claims that they are.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem. I'm sending the current body back and will keep doing so until I get one that works correctly. Perhaps it's time for a refund and new merchant, instead of more exchanges and two-week delays. I've been dealing with B&H but maybe I'll try Amazon. If I have to exchange yet another body it will probably be quicker.

All the major vendors get their stock from the Nikon distributor in their country. Changing dealears seems unlikely to make any real difference. If anything, a longer time taken for the exchange probably decreases the chances of you getting a camera from the same batch.

If anyone's curious, the serial number of this current body is: 30140XX.

+1, a voice of reason!

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
sorinn
sorinn New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

Gosman wrote:

Be sure and send the camera back before BH's silly warranty period of less than 50 clicks. Also over a year ago, I predicted something like this would happen to an advanced computerized camera such as this. It is sad that Nikon appears not to have done anything to improve this model!

+ 1

I almost bought an 800e yesterday... I'm glad I didin't.

OP Algorhythm New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

CFynn is definitely thinking rationally.

If I can't get an excellent version of the body I'll likely end up keeping one that isn't too far out of calibration and probably rarely notice the AF issue.  I just don't want to hate the camera if I can't get a shot because of a defective sensor.

I have an old D90 that I have been walking around with, but having used the D800E I now want to take it out instead of the D90, and good AF across the frame will obviously benefit non-tripod shooting.  I probably use a tripod 60% of the time, maybe a bit less.  Sometimes I meter with the left point when shooting handheld in vertical orientation, and sometimes I want good focus tracking when shooting my son or other moving subjects.

Of course I will use live view and proper lenses for critical work.  I suppose my concern about this AF issue has to do with handheld shooting.  Some say the D800E is only designed for studio work, but I see myself using it both in the studio and out in the field.  The appeal of having exceptional image quality in a weather sealed, handheld DSLR body out in the field is quite strong, and shooting in uncontrolled environments obviously benefits from a fully functional camera...

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far.

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 26,139
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?
1

Amen!

CFynn wrote:

Before you give yourself ulcers, ask yourself is this "issue" really going to be a problem in 99.9% of your photographs?

You mentioned earlier you are photographing paintings and landscapes.

For copying paintings use a (manual focus) lens designed for copy work on a tripod with live view, and good, flat lighting. (Any other lens is likely to have a curved field of focus and other issues.) In that situation autofocus is not a problem.

For landscape it is also preferable to use a tripod and live view - again autofocus not an issue.

If you are using autofocus for landscape, aren't you usually going to have the lens stopped down, isn't the subject is generally going to be further away than your test shots, and how often are you going to be using the left-most AF points?

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

When shooting flat surfaces - use a lens with a flat field of focus and make sure your camera is aligned on a perfectly parrallel plane with the subject.

The outer AF points are never going to be anywhere near as reliable as the central point. Nobody claims that they are.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem. I'm sending the current body back and will keep doing so until I get one that works correctly. Perhaps it's time for a refund and new merchant, instead of more exchanges and two-week delays. I've been dealing with B&H but maybe I'll try Amazon. If I have to exchange yet another body it will probably be quicker.

All the major vendors get their stock from the Nikon distributor in their country. Changing dealears seems unlikely to make any real difference. If anything, a longer time taken for the exchange probably decreases the chances of you getting a camera from the same batch.

If anyone's curious, the serial number of this current body is: 30140XX.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +20 more
kymarto Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Overly critical
2

I think you are being too critical. I had real AF issues. Yours looks just fine to me.

Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?
1

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

I'm not sure that what you see is a focus issue with your body. Looking at your pictures, the 28-300 and the 16mm hardly show any issues. There is some expected unsharpness at the left and right sides.

My suggestion is to try the 14-24 on for instance another FX camera, like a D700. In my case, my 24-70 lens shows similar unsharpness at the left focal point for both a D800 and D700. The underneath pictures shows on the left side the D700 results, and on the right side the (scaled) D800 results, from top-to-bottom Left, Middle and Right AF with PDAF. As you can see, both the left AF point results are unsharp.

Evaluating the lens sharpness on both bodies results in the following results for the D800 (0 is in focus, - is just acceptable back focus, -- is unsharp results due to back focus):

And the following results for the D700:

As you can see, results for the D700 are even worse.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem.

This would be a further hint to explore the lens in different conditions.

 Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: I have NEVER tested my D800E

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

The combination of the following 2 sentences is a nice way of telling that you belong to the 90-95% of people not using the camera to its full potential

And anyway, it's mostly on the Left AF point, and frankly I don't even care.

I would say that only 5-10% of the people who own a D800E even use the camera to its full potential.

The rest of the people shoot the camera like it's a D700, and therefore removing the years of resolution progress that has been made from then until now. If you aren't printing large, buy a D700 or a D3 or D3s. The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence.

How about dynamic range? Before the D600 was released, it was the first camera with such a dynamic range.

The D800e is meant for live-view or otherwise taking your sweet time getting the best shot in a studio environment where you are tethered to your computer and your hands are not on the camera which is set to manual focus, no VR, mirror up, and a remote or in this case a tether to the computer (hands off!!!) or for natural landscapes with the same precautions.

So it must have been a mistake that Nikon put an AF sensor in it??? In case you use it in studios for portrait photography, I guess you also need to literally freeze your subjects???

I prefer to use something more practical, it is called "fast shutter speed", which gives me the same sort of sharpness with handhold pictures in the field. The potential use-cases of the camera goes further than the most extreme  resolution case one can think of.

Believe me when I say to you that no one who is shooting landscapes or studio will care all that much about the Left AF not working. Like I said, mine could be the worst that has ever been made. I wouldn't know, it will never ever show, and I don't care.

So what exactly is then your motivation to react in this thread?

The camera was made for specific groups of people. They know that others will buy it anyway, but it's meant for studio and natural landscapes. It's not meant for street photography or sports or anything except those who have the forever and a day to set up the shot. If that's not you, then you can still take a picture with this amazing camera, but it is NOT what the camera was made for.

The D800 is a great multi-purpose camera, with an incredible resolution and dynamic range. For probably the majority of photos this is not required, either inside or outside the studio. But in case it is required some day/week/month/year, the option is there. It is called no limitations and luxury. What's wrong of having this at hand?

Despite all of the above, if left-AF is offered by the manufacturer, it should work properly.

 Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?
1

Marc Heijligers wrote:

Algorhythm wrote:

Well I spoke too soon and am not happy as a clam...

I figured that three bodies showing the same left focus problem might indicate that my 14-24 was actually a bad copy and causing the problem. However, I really scrutinized some images from it and I'm sure it's not causing the focus problems. It is definitely softer on the left side, but not enough to result in the focus issues I've been detecting. I AF tuned the lenses and the 14-24 needed no adjustment. The 28-300 needed +5. So, I shot a couple more flat surfaces just to be sure and it turns out the focus issue is present.

I'm not sure that what you see is a focus issue with your body. Looking at your pictures, the 28-300 and the 16mm hardly show any issues. There is some expected unsharpness at the left and right sides.

My suggestion is to try the 14-24 on for instance another FX camera, like a D700. In my case, my 24-70 lens shows similar unsharpness at the left focal point for both a D800 and D700. The underneath pictures shows on the left side the D700 results, and on the right side the (scaled) D800 results, from top-to-bottom Left, Middle and Right AF with PDAF. As you can see, both the left AF point results are unsharp.

Evaluating the lens sharpness on both bodies results in the following results for the D800 (0 is in focus, - is just acceptable back focus, -- is unsharp results due to back focus):

And the following results for the D700:

As you can see, results for the D700 are even worse.

This is really frustrating and I am astounded that 3 out of 3 bodies all have the same problem.

This would be a further hint to explore the lens in different conditions.

+1 For goodness sakes, another voice of reason!

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Overly critical
1

kymarto wrote:

I think you are being too critical. I had real AF issues. Yours looks just fine to me.

++1  Man, there are way too many voices of reason lately!

Nikon needs to stop providing all these extra AF points and features (IMHO)  Provides too many opportunities for folks to pick it apart, when in reality, these features have limitations....they are not perfect under all circumstances.

As you point out, some camera's had/have issues, this was not one of them.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Marc Heijligers Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: Overly critical
2

CraigBennett wrote:

++1 Man, there are way too many voices of reason lately!

There are medicines for that

Nikon needs to stop providing all these extra AF points and features (IMHO) Provides too many opportunities for folks to pick it apart, when in reality, these features have limitations....they are not perfect under all circumstances.

If a manufacturer is able to create proper functioning central focus and righ-point focus, what exactly is missing to obtain correctly functioning left focus points?

Fabrication tolerances can indeed be expected when you create optical, mechanical and measurement & control equipment at the boundaries of technology (at a certain price point), but when spending thousands of euros to bodies and lenses, people expect better results than a camera of a few hundred euros.

Innovation keeps on creating new options in almost all technologies, it's called progress. That's why cars are safer and more silent now, you have a whole computer in your phone that is battery powered for days, and why an "idiot" can make sharp pictures with an SLR in pretty complex situations by just pressing a button, and why we can make a photo visible to the whole world in seconds without a complex chemical process required in advance. I prefer camera manufacturers to continue innovating their stuff, and to keep their quality control at a respectable level.

 Marc Heijligers's gear list:Marc Heijligers's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
calxn Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: Overly critical

So, if someone agrees with you, it's the voice of reason?  Don't be daft.  The AF problem is real.  I can assure you that.  The OP can count himself as very, very lucky as his situation is very mild in my opinion.  Nikon repairs is completely incompetent.  They very well know that the problem stems from fast wide angle lenses, yet they recalibrate the cameras with a 50/1.8.  They have monkeys there using trial an error to "fix" the calibration.  I believe in some cases, it simply cannot be fixed.  Your voice of reason would be silent if I put up samples of the case I have struggled with.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,159
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?
1

CraigBennett wrote:

Perhaps it's my eyes, my age, or both, but I really don't see anything to be concerned about.

It's not as bad as it used to be, not by a mile. But it's out of focus all right. By contrast the right sensor is spot on.

Have you taken any real life photos and how do they look?

And why would it make a difference ? The left sensor cannot properly focus on a easy target with good contrast. It's only going to be worse "in real life".

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

 TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,016
Re: Number 145?

Sorry but every test you have posted uses a subject where page 100 D800 guidance says AF may not be accurate.

Going further your 14-24 instructions confirm AF may not be accurate with subjects smaller than the viewfinder mark or containing a lot of fine detail.

Going further still the instruction for the 18-105 in the D7000 and D7100 instructions caution results with any wide angle or super wide angle may not be good with the above 2 types of target.

Sorry - because noneof your test targets are first class for reliable AF testing your results seem to clarify nothing - except perhaps you expect AF to be good with subjects where Nikon caution AF may not be good

How good is your camera AF with an AF target not able to compromise AF accuracy?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge as to how to get the best out of modern and often complex camera equipment.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
Zlik Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: Number 145?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Sorry but every test you have posted uses a subject where page 100 D800 guidance says AF may not be accurate.

Going further your 14-24 instructions confirm AF may not be accurate with subjects smaller than the viewfinder mark or containing a lot of fine detail.

Going further still the instruction for the 18-105 in the D7000 and D7100 instructions caution results with any wide angle or super wide angle may not be good with the above 2 types of target.

Sorry - because noneof your test targets are first class for reliable AF testing your results seem to clarify nothing - except perhaps you expect AF to be good with subjects where Nikon caution AF may not be good

How good is your camera AF with an AF target not able to compromise AF accuracy?

You still have never explained how that would make the left sensors focus much worse than the right sensors. If the target is not good, it should not be good for both sides. But almost everybody reporting this AF problem have great results with the right side. Coincidence?

Zlik Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: I have NEVER tested my D800E

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

AND I NEVER WILL.

I really could care less. The thing is going to be worth a mere $200 or so in a decade anyway.

Why should I care when my future-self doesn't even look in the D800E folders anymore, because he's so much more involved with the new camera he has in the future instead of this one.

And anyway, it's mostly on the Left AF point, and frankly I don't even care.

I would say that only 5-10% of the people who own a D800E even use the camera to its full potential. The rest of the people shoot the camera like it's a D700, and therefore removing the years of resolution progress that has been made from then until now. If you aren't printing large, buy a D700 or a D3 or D3s. The D800E is meant for resolution, it is the #1 reason for its existence. If you aren't using that by printing large or cropping hard, then you might as well have a D3s or D3 or D700. It really makes no sense for most D800E owners to even have the camera at all.

The D800e is meant for live-view or otherwise taking your sweet time getting the best shot in a studio environment where you are tethered to your computer and your hands are not on the camera which is set to manual focus, no VR, mirror up, and a remote or in this case a tether to the computer (hands off!!!) or for natural landscapes with the same precautions.

People *USE* the D800E for all sorts of stuff, but the camera was specifically designed for its resolution and those who can take their time to collect all the resolution that is available from this camera. Can you use it like a D4 or a D3s? Sort of, but that's not what it was made for.

Believe me when I say to you that no one who is shooting landscapes or studio will care all that much about the Left AF not working. Like I said, mine could be the worst that has ever been made. I wouldn't know, it will never ever show, and I don't care.

The camera was made for specific groups of people. They know that others will buy it anyway, but it's meant for studio and natural landscapes. It's not meant for street photography or sports or anything except those who have the forever and a day to set up the shot. If that's not you, then you can still take a picture with this amazing camera, but it is NOT what the camera was made for.

Just because the D800 can do high resolution studio work better than other DSLRs doesn't mean it is supposed to do only that. I have used a D700, a D3s and a D800 for both studio and event photography, and I can assure you that every photo I took with the D700 would have been better if I had shot it with the D800 instead (the only advantage in favor of the D700 is FPS, but I don't rely on that for my photography).

That's like saying that just because a Ferrari can achieve extremely high speeds, that it is not meant to drive in the city at 30 mph. Let me tell you that if I had the choice between driving at 30 mph with a Ferrari vs a Toyota, I would chose the Ferrari every time.

Shoot anything with the D3s or the D700, and shoot the same thing with a D800. Once it goes through your post processing workflow and is exported (you still export your D3s RAW files to JPG, be it full HD for screen viewing or higher res for printing or sending), it doesn't matter if the original file was 6, 12, 16, 24 or 36 MP. They all produce the same 6MP photo (well, almost, the D700 being less capable at higher ISOs than the newer generation).

Again, I dont' understand people that say "why buy a D800 if you are not going to use the 36MP ?". To them I respond, that whenever I need a higher resolution, I have it. It is called potential, and it doesn't matter if I use it only for 3% of my shots. For the times I don't need it, I don't see why having too much data would be a disadvantage, the result is the same.

In conclusion, I would say that cameras like the D3s and the D4 are slightly more optimized for sports and high speed shooting (FPS), and cameras like the D800 are slightly more optimized for studio and landscape photography (high res), but they all can do general (portrait, street, event) photography equally well.

CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Brand New D800E Autofocus Problem...What's Your Opinion?

TOF guy wrote:

CraigBennett wrote:

Have you taken any real life photos and how do they look?

And why would it make a difference ? The left sensor cannot properly focus on a easy target with good contrast. It's only going to be worse "in real life".

Not necessary. Instead of shooting targets to death, go out, use the camera, take photographs as you normally would and look at the results.  As I said, his target is not bad to me.  We have seen targets that you could see out-of-focus across the room.  His looks soft to me.  Unless he is shooting fine lettering or lines, I doubt a real life object would show up out-of-focus.

Test charts tend to exaggerate problems, which might or might not show up "in real life".

Too bad Nikon provided 51 AF points, should of gone with 21...then all these tests would be mute.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Overly critical

calxn wrote:

So, if someone agrees with you, it's the voice of reason?

Yes

Don't be daft. The AF problem is real.

I like to be daft.   Not in my world, my D800e's work great.

Nikon repairs is completely incompetent.

Not in my experience.  That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with.

They very well know that the problem stems from fast wide angle lenses, yet they recalibrate the cameras with a 50/1.8.

Take it up with them.  Or better yet, go work for them and show them the proper way.

They have monkeys there using trial an error to "fix" the calibration.

Now who is being daft?

I believe in some cases, it simply cannot be fixed.

Really?  They are the manufacture and you say they cannot fix their own product?

Your voice of reason would be silent if I put up samples of the case I have struggled with.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
rdhphoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 296
Typical D800/E...

...What's new!

Hey, I just read on Nikon Rumors that Nikon is coming with a big secret product. MAYBE it is a Sensor that doesn't have AF issues, or dust/oil all over it. Now that would be big!

Good luck with your photography, and old "lefty"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads