Canon to make industry leading sensors

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,238
Re: ...THAT'S FUNNY!

mailman88 wrote:

.....Canon can not lead, they follow PROFITS!

If they do build a great sensor, you won't see on a prosumer camera. Maybe on a professional-grade full-frame over $7,000 dollars.

Really?  Nikon did it in a $2000 and $3000 FF camera.  I think Canon can pull it off.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
Shaun_Nyc
Shaun_Nyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,285

Dave Luttmann wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

.....Canon can not lead, they follow PROFITS!

If they do build a great sensor, you won't see on a prosumer camera. Maybe on a professional-grade full-frame over $7,000 dollars.

Really? Nikon did it in a $2000 and $3000 FF camera. I think Canon can pull it off.

The D4 is 6000.00 and the D3100 is only 500.00 but isn't FF , not sure where you're getting 2k & 3K from ?

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +13 more
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,162

...cynical, no just rational on Canon's thinking. They're more focused on making the most profit with little effort. I love my 7D, but Canon could have done better.

I'm not worried, but Sony will kick Canon's butt in the future, if they keep dragging their feet on

technology and the bottom-line!

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
mailman88

No Dave, Canon won't pull-it off until someone forces Canon to do it!

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
mailman88

.....As a long time Canon owner, I believe Sony leads in innovation in the DSLR camera war. Sony will produce...the "PERFECT DSLR" soon. They want to own this segment in the electronic world. Sony is very aggressive in this market.

Canon, Nikon and everyone else has a very conservative business model to maximize PROFITS and not INNOVATION. Sony's maverick approach is just the opposite!

M DeNero Regular Member • Posts: 112

That's an asinine, brain-dead comment that fails to explain why Nikon cameras using Sony sensors run circles around Sony cameras using Sony sensors. Sony sensors are great, Sony DSLRs suck.

-- hide signature --

Matt

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,247
Gimme a break...

mailman88 wrote:

...cynical, no just rational on Canon's thinking. They're more focused on making the most profit with little effort. I love my 7D, but Canon could have done better.

Really?  Consider when the 7D was introduced, and please explain exactly what Canon should (or could) have done differently (i.e. "better").  It's been THE market leader in its class ever since it was introduced, and arguably, no other competitor has better it in its class with anything near its price point.  Now, is the technology getting a bit old?  Is there significant room for improvement? Is the sensor beginning to lag competition (Sony/Nikon).  Yes, yes, and yes.  Still, I'm afraid your comments do reek of cynicism, not rationality.  If Canon wishes to stay in business, they had better be focused on profit.  BTW, I'd love for you to back up your contention with the specific camera you would have purchased instead of the 7D if you were starting from scratch and not had an investment in lenses, etc?

I'm not worried, but Sony will kick Canon's butt in the future, if they keep dragging their feet on

technology and the bottom-line!

Oh, balderdash.  Sony has repeatedly tried to win in the DSLR market and continues to get their butt kicked.  Their DSLRs simply suck, IMHO.  Their sensor technology, however, is pretty decent and I do like their NEX series mirrorless cameras, and in fact own one.  I really don't have much doubt that Canon is more than capable of stepping up and equalling or bettering today's state of the art in sensors.  If I'm wrong, yes, they will start losing customers and market share.  However, it won't be to Sony... Nikon will probably be the major beneficiary.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,334
Re: It's about time....(nt)

howardroark wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

Let's not get too carried away. It is only a rumor that Canon has become motivated to do something about sensor development. It's not like they actually introduced a new sensor that matches or surpasses the competition. That might take a while.

Yeah, Canon's history of developing class following sensors is well established. They are known for their inability to create a sensor that is so good that even though it is four years old it still holds up well to competition released six months ago. Wow, Canon really sucks.

Like someone further up the thread, I just bought a clean used 7d. And I am not filled with angst over its sensor.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

mailman88 wrote:

.....As a long time Canon owner, I believe Sony leads in innovation in the DSLR camera war. Sony will produce...the "PERFECT DSLR" soon. They want to own this segment in the electronic world. Sony is very aggressive in this market.

Canon, Nikon and everyone else has a very conservative business model to maximize PROFITS and not INNOVATION. Sony's maverick approach is just the opposite!

Yes, they are out to minimize profits to zilch!

-- hide signature --

M DeNero wrote:

That's an asinine, brain-dead comment that fails to explain why Nikon cameras using Sony sensors run circles around Sony cameras using Sony sensors. Sony sensors are great, Sony DSLRs suck.

Does Sony make DSLR's?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads