Canon to make industry leading sensors

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Canon to make industry leading sensors

From CanonRumors:

A Big Megapixel Discussion

Canon is apparently quite motivated to make industry leading sensors again, as we should see some of that in the EOS 7D Mark II and perhaps even the 70D in the summer.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,288
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors
4

The CanonRumors site has no credibility. They've been predicting the imminent release of the 7D Mark II for over two years now. They were certain it would be announced on April 21 of this year. They're just making up rumors (which of course will come true sooner or later), in the hopes of getting some ad revenue.

One thing I can say -- I recently travelled to Taiwan, and visited the street with all of the camera stores in Taipei. In all of the Canon stores, they carry the 5D, 6D and 700D, but only one shop had a 7D. It looks to me like something's up.

 MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,841
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors
1

MarshallG wrote:

The CanonRumors site has no credibility. They've been predicting the imminent release of the 7D Mark II for over two years now. They were certain it would be announced on April 21 of this year. They're just making up rumors (which of course will come true sooner or later), in the hopes of getting some ad revenue.

One thing I can say -- I recently travelled to Taiwan, and visited the street with all of the camera stores in Taipei. In all of the Canon stores, they carry the 5D, 6D and 700D, but only one shop had a 7D. It looks to me like something's up.

Resellers don't want a 7D in stock because of the rumours.

Buyers wait for the next big thing or for the 7D to drop in price even more.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
x-vision
x-vision Senior Member • Posts: 1,231
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors

MarshallG wrote:

The CanonRumors site has no credibility.

+1

They are totally in the dark and all they publish is just speculation.

Speculation is a lot of fun, of course, but shouldn't be taken seriously.

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,288
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors
2

Limburger wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

The CanonRumors site has no credibility. They've been predicting the imminent release of the 7D Mark II for over two years now. They were certain it would be announced on April 21 of this year. They're just making up rumors (which of course will come true sooner or later), in the hopes of getting some ad revenue.

One thing I can say -- I recently travelled to Taiwan, and visited the street with all of the camera stores in Taipei. In all of the Canon stores, they carry the 5D, 6D and 700D, but only one shop had a 7D. It looks to me like something's up.

Resellers don't want a 7D in stock because of the rumours.

Buyers wait for the next big thing or for the 7D to drop in price even more.

I just picked up a mint 7D, with under 500 exposures, for $800. The 7D Mark II is irrelevant to me, because waiting for it would mean spending twice as much; i'm sure it will be a $1,600 body at launch, maybe more. Fughedaboudit.

 MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
AOKH
AOKH Senior Member • Posts: 2,675
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors

TTMartin wrote:

From CanonRumors:

A Big Megapixel Discussion

Canon is apparently quite motivated to make industry leading sensors again, as we should see some of that in the EOS 7D Mark II and perhaps even the 70D in the summer.

I talked with a Canon distributor at a non-photographic event abroad last week who told me a couple of surprising things. I have no idea whether he has any 'real' information, but he claimed that the 70D (or whatever the name will be) would be announced in the next few days (same old 18MP APS-C sensor, slightly upgraded body over the 60D); and a replacement for the 7D in October (new APS-H sensor(!), pro-body smaller than the 1DX). I have no idea if he's really in the know, but he sure came off that way, so thought I'd pass it along

He had no knowledge of any large mega-pixel cameras in the foreseeable future, though.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

 AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
rdspear Veteran Member • Posts: 4,601
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors
1

"APS-H sensor" = he knows nothing.  This stupid rumor has been going on forever.  "The next 30D/40D/50D/60D/7D is going to be APS-H."

 rdspear's gear list:rdspear's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +19 more
AOKH
AOKH Senior Member • Posts: 2,675
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors

rdspear wrote:

"APS-H sensor" = he knows nothing. This stupid rumor has been going on forever. "The next 30D/40D/50D/60D/7D is going to be APS-H."

Yeah, I think you're right

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

 AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,113
It's about time....(nt)
 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,112
Re: It's about time....(nt)

Let's not get too carried away.  It is only a rumor that Canon has become motivated to do something about sensor development.   It's not like they actually introduced a new sensor that matches  or surpasses the competition.  That might take a while.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim
www.specialplacesphoto.com

 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,575
2 days later... Not anymore.... see link
1
 EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +18 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,113
Re: 2 days later... Not anymore.... see link
1

EJ Fudd wrote:

Now Fuji and Panasonic will

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/12/Fujifilm-and-panasonic-organic-CMOS-sensor-industry-leading-dynamic-range-and-sensitivity

It seems virtually every other DSLR maker now offers sensors with higher resolution and better  dynamic range.  Hopefully Canon is listening.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: It's about time....(nt)
5

jrkliny wrote:

Let's not get too carried away.  It is only a rumor that Canon has become motivated to do something about sensor development.   It's not like they actually introduced a new sensor that matches  or surpasses the competition.  That might take a while.

Yeah, Canon's history of developing class following sensors is well established.  They are known for their inability to create a sensor that is so good that even though it is four years old it still holds up well to competition released six months ago.  Wow, Canon really sucks.

TTMartin
OP TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: It's about time....(nt)
1

howardroark wrote:

Yeah, Canon's history of developing class following sensors is well established. They are known for their inability to create a sensor that is so good that even though it is four years old it still holds up well to competition released six months ago. Wow, Canon really sucks.

What do you mean 4 years? according to DxOMark it's 10 years!

After all DxOMark says the original 2003 Digital Rebel and the 1D X have the same per pixel dynamic range. But, then again, they say every Canon dSLR they've 'tested' has basically the same per pixel dynamic range.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,432
Fuji/Panosonic organic sensor

If the Fuji/Panasonic organic sensor is practicable, I would bet that the first commercial product it will be in is a cell phone. The life spans of cell phones tend to be short due to the tendency for people to "trade up" to the fashionable model of the moment. If there is 10% failure at 3 years, a lot of phone buyers would never know.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

 NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Keiferkeith New Member • Posts: 21
Re: 2 days later... Not anymore.... see link

Is this big enough for you?

http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

Frederik Paul Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors
1

Even Canon employes don't know anything about new Canon stuff, when it's coming and what features they will have. So what should a rumor page know? One day before release they got it right, yeah.

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,267
Re: Canon to make industry leading sensors

TTMartin wrote:

From CanonRumors:

A Big Megapixel Discussion

Canon is apparently quite motivated to make industry leading sensors again, as we should see some of that in the EOS 7D Mark II and perhaps even the 70D in the summer.

"Industry Leading Sensors" is open to much interpretation.  High MP count is what the general public would perceive as "Industry Leading" but I doubt anyone on this forum would agree that Canon has made any gains if they don't greatly improve their noise floor and increase DR.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,147
Re: ...THAT'S FUNNY!

.....Canon can not lead, they follow PROFITS!

If they do build a great sensor, you won't see on a prosumer camera. Maybe on a professional-grade full-frame over $7,000 dollars.

 mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
TTMartin
OP TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: ...THAT'S FUNNY!
1

mailman88 wrote:

.....Canon can not lead, they follow PROFITS!

If they do build a great sensor, you won't see on a prosumer camera. Maybe on a professional-grade full-frame over $7,000 dollars.

Seems very cynical coming from you.

Not happy with your new camera?

Of course Canon want's to make a profit. But, given the quality control issues that Nikon seems to be having trying to undercut Canon's pricing, I'm not feeling the greed.

 TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads