To Delete or Not to Delete

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
Billy Lee Regular Member • Posts: 244
To Delete or Not to Delete

I use to save all my images on to my memory card, until the card filled up. Then I would format the card and start over. No problem with lost images, as I'd copy my images to my hard drive after each shooting session. Since I began shooting with my D7000, I've been using Nikon Transfer 2 to transfer files to my hard drive. Nikon Transfer will read and display all the files on my camera, which takes a little time and in camera battery use. Nikon Transfer will grey out files, which have been downloaded previously, so downloading which are new files is not an issue. To save time and battery juice the next session, I've been deleting all files, after transferring. Do most of you guys here delete or keep your files on your memory card?

BillyL

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BobandMic Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: To Delete or Not to Delete

I will transfer the images to my computer via a card reader and the format the memory cards before the next use.

BobandMic's gear list:BobandMic's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,423
no Nikon Transfer

Billy Lee wrote:

I use to save all my images on to my memory card, until the card filled up. Then I would format the card and start over. No problem with lost images, as I'd copy my images to my hard drive after each shooting session. Since I began shooting with my D7000, I've been using Nikon Transfer 2 to transfer files to my hard drive. Nikon Transfer will read and display all the files on my camera, which takes a little time and in camera battery use. Nikon Transfer will grey out files, which have been downloaded previously, so downloading which are new files is not an issue. To save time and battery juice the next session, I've been deleting all files, after transferring. Do most of you guys here delete or keep your files on your memory card?

BillyL

Nikon Transfer can be problematic at times and the source of file corruption in some reported cases. For this reason, I transferee to the camera using a card reader and format the card in camera after I confirm the files are now safe on the computer.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,664

I always use a card reader and copy what's on the card.

After I make a second copy onto another computer, external HD, or CD, then I format the card.

BlueJakester
BlueJakester Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

I also re-format the card in the camera, once the images are safely on the computer.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071

I have always used Nikon Transfer to move files from the camera to the computer using the USB interface, and create folders by date taken. Until recently I had NT delete the files after downloading, but, one time I transferred some files that were over 3 or 4 different dates, and I ended up with 2 empty folders. Since then I have changed the option of deleting after downloading, and just reformat in the camera (I never remove a card unless I'm changing it) after I verify that all files have been transferred correctly. I have never had a battery use issue especially with the D7000, and I almost never switch the camera to off.

-- hide signature --
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,592

I transfer all files using a card reader and light room and format the card in the camera when done.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,745

I try to transfer my photos to the laptop within a day or two of taking the photos.  Sometimes it stretches out to a couple weeks if I haven't done any serious shooting and the camera just has a few here and there photos.  My #1 reason for this is because I like to keep my photos organized on the computer and if I were to wait a few months and just dump a few thousand photos onto the computer I'd never have the patience to go through and catalog/organize them all.

My laptop has a card reader so I just insert the card straight into the laptop.

I usually just delete all the photos off the card from the laptop.  Once in a while I'll format the card in the camera although at this point I'm not sure it's doing any good.

David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,751
Agreed, absolutely

Mako2011 wrote:

Nikon Transfer can be problematic at times and the source of file corruption in some reported cases. For this reason, I transferee to the camera using a card reader and format the card in camera after I confirm the files are now safe on the computer.

I see no reason to use Nikon Transfer and regard the card in the camera as a somewhat vulnerable storage location (card could go corrupt, camera could be stolen etc.). At the end of every day, if I've used the camera I transfer the files using a card reader into an appropriately named and dated directory on the PC. Confirm that they are OK then reformat the card.

David

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

Same as Bob....

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
kithg
kithg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
Re: no Nikon Transfer

Yup, me, too.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,711

I insert my card into my Mac's slot and import the pics. I do not reformat until, like Bob, I have saved the files externally. I will add more files to the card until they are all backed up.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
SteveCooper
SteveCooper Contributing Member • Posts: 569

I have a D90 (4+ years) and a used D300s that I purchased recently.

I have always transferred my D90 pics using Nikon Transfer and never delete the pictures from the camera until I have reviewed them on my laptop AND copied them to my RAID and portable hard drives. This work flow has worked for me perfectly for over 4 years until last month- the one and only time I have ever had a problem with the transfer being corrupted. I simply deleted the folder on my laptop and re-did the transfer. I have not had a problem since then.

My D300s has worked perfect so far, but I've only had it for a couple of months, so I can't speak about a long-term track record with this camera.

i hope that helps you...

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,423
Exactly

SteveCooper wrote:

I have a D90 (4+ years) and a used D300s that I purchased recently.

I have always transferred my D90 pics using Nikon Transfer .... This work flow has worked for me perfectly for over 4 years until last month- the one and only time I have ever had a problem with the transfer being corrupted.

Exactly the thing I was eluding to. The few times file corruption is reported, Nikon Transfer is sometimes the issue.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Opfoto
Opfoto Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: Exactly

I have always used nikon tranfer, deleting files when transfer is complete, then reformatting the card prior to additional captures. I remember posting awhle back having 1 image that was corrupt. The image reminded me of have the SS too fast for flash sync from back in the film days. But I am going to change my workflow immediately as it seems I am just waiting for an accident to happen. Murphys Law. Thanks for the heads up.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100, D70s, 17-55 f2.8, 18-70 Kit, 70-300VRII, 35mm f1.8, SB800,
Now, Where did I leave that Lens Cap ???
See my (always under construction) image gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/photos_by_marc
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photos_by_marc/image/49798983/small.jpg

Opfoto's gear list:Opfoto's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon D80 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Answell Contributing Member • Posts: 958

BobandMic wrote:

I will transfer the images to my computer via a card reader and the format the memory cards before the next use.

Agree. This is the only way that I do this too, but maybe a little different. I use Lightroom to import the files , then delete the non-keepers. Format the memory card by the camera, not the computer.

mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322
Re: Exactly

I download the files to my computer, edit them, and then back them up on two DVD's. I usually do this the same day that I shoot them. I have several memory cards that I rotate. I don't format them until I put them in the camera. That way I keep the files on the card as another backup for a few weeks.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +3 more
Answell Contributing Member • Posts: 958

SteveCooper wrote:

My D300s has worked perfect so far, but I've only had it for a couple of months, so I can't speak about a long-term track record with this camera.

i hope that helps you...

I have owned Nikon cameras since the D70, and had a D300 for 3 + years, and a D300s for over 2 years. Never had a problem with any. Maybe I am just lucky, but I do not ever abuse my cameras. My D300s has only 18K on it, as I am not one for just snapping away, and it looks just like new even after this long. If you take care of your gears, it will serve you well. There are the odd times when a camera is flawed, but not to0 often with Nikons. This is one of the reason that they are highly praised, and especially the D300 series.

David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,751
Cogitation

Answell wrote:

If you take care of your gears, it will serve you well.

I shall have to give that idea some cogitation. It might just be a matter of a pinion.

David

thomo
thomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

Billy Lee wrote:

BillyL

I had been using Nikon Transfer since 2006 on D80's, D90's, D700's, D7000's and even my Fuji X100LE with not a single problem UNTIL I bought my D800E.

Suddenly I found that I couldn't change the WB when editing the D800E RAW files in Capture NX2.

Thanks to some great folk on these forums, I quickly learned that Nikon Transfer (even with the latest version) was affecting/corrupting the RAW files. The solution was to move to the latest version of View NX2 which has Nikon Transfer built-in to it. PROBLEM SOLVED!

I really like to use the Nikon software to transfer the files because you can set it up to create a new folder, rename the files using date & time (eg 20130602-073532) and store a backup copy on another hard drive and as well as synchronise the camera clock, which is great when using multiple bodies, because you can combine images from multiple cameras and they will all appear in the exact order that they were taken.

I always reformat the card in-camera after downloading, although you can configure the software to delete the images in the camera.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D800E Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 +43 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads