Alternatives to Acrobat on the Mac?

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
tdhg566 Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
Alternatives to Acrobat on the Mac?

I'm getting ready to buy a MBA and I either need to run Parallels/Windows or else find an alternative to my Tracker Software PDF-XChange Pro (a cheaper/better alternative to Acrobat). Tracker does not make an OSX version at this time. I use PDF files extensively as I'm implementing (over time) a paperless environment with Evernote.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance

MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Alternatives to Acrobat on the Mac?

What capabilities do you need?

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
talmy
talmy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

I've gone paperless just using the built-in PDF conversion and searching features in OS X. I did get a good deal on PDFPen Pro, but OS X's Preview app does all I really need but OCRing documents (which PDFPen will do).

I've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap which scans documents and converts to PDF with OCR. Very nice device. I've also bought the program Hazel which will sort the scanned, created, or downloaded documents into folders based on their contents. This takes care of 99% of my filing issues.

I should point out that I also have Acrobat, but I never use it. It's bloated and clumsy.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 +12 more
Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222

When Apple first built OS-X they built in native PDF support.  The Preview application does pretty much anything Acrobat will do except editing.  I use PDF-Pen for that.  Really shouldn't be much of a problem.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
OP tdhg566 Senior Member • Posts: 1,439

Thank you. I basically need the ability to slice and dice pages from/into PDF files. Sounds like PDFPen is the preferred product. I will look into it.

I too use a ScanSnap scanner. Isn't it a great device? Evernote does my back end OCR and filing needs. Just need to solve the slice and dice problem

Thanks much

talmy
talmy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

tdhg566 wrote:

Thank you. I basically need the ability to slice and dice pages from/into PDF files. Sounds like PDFPen is the preferred product. I will look into it.

I'd suggest you just try using Finder first. It will slice and dice pages and also allows annotation. If you need more, they get PDFPen.

I too use a ScanSnap scanner. Isn't it a great device? Evernote does my back end OCR and filing needs. Just need to solve the slice and dice problem

I don't use Evernote but maintain all the documents on a server computer. I also use Dropbox- any document placed a a particular Dropbox folder gets automatically refiled on the server by Hazel.

I was inspired by the ebook "Paperless" by David Sparks which covers many alternative approaches to a paperless life on a Mac. Recommended, but other than not having a Mac yet you are probably beyond most of the material in this book.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 +12 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

talmy wrote:

I don't use Evernote but maintain all the documents on a server computer. I also use Dropbox- any document placed a a particular Dropbox folder gets automatically refiled on the server by Hazel.

You certainly have a good handle on going paperless; I have owned Hazel for some time now and only recently learned about its automatic features. I also have a ScanSnap; it's a HUGE improvement over my old flatbed scanner!

I suggest checking out DEVONthink; it's Evernote on steroids. DEVONthink was recently updated to include database syncing between multiple Macs. DropBox is one of the built-in syncing options.

I've used DT for years. The Finder is a Model T in comparison...

Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

Which scansnap model do you have, Mr. Mojo?

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

Conchita wrote:

Which scansnap model do you have, Mr. Mojo?

Hi Conchita. I have the S1300. It's relatively small and the price fit my budget. It can be used as a portable scanner powered by two USB ports.

DEVONthink Pro Office comes with software that makes it easy to scan directly to DT. But I opted to save $70 by using DTPro and using other means to get scanned docs into my databases.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Document/dp/B008HBFADQ/ref=pd_sim_e_8

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads