Picasa web albums

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mstecker
mstecker Contributing Member • Posts: 644
Picasa web albums

How do I upload a photo from my computer to Picasa web album and NOT Goole+.  I installed Picasa 3 and after it disorganized my photos, tried to upload one of them to the Picasa web album, but could not find the SHARE button they asked me to click on.  I do see a green Share on Google+ button at the bottom of the screen, but none to export to the web album.  I do not want to place the photo on Google+, only the public Picasa site.

-- hide signature --
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,661
Re: Picasa web albums

Recent awful changes on google are a total PITA - also on gmail.  Really awful in fact.  Gave up trying to make a new album and used pbase instead.  I agree your views on picasa.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

DonA2
DonA2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,747
Re: Picasa web albums

I have Picasa 3 and if you right click on a photo a drop down menu should list " upload to Picasa web album".  I don't use the web site personally but I have used Picasa for years with no problems.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

 DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more
mstecker
mstecker OP Contributing Member • Posts: 644
Re: Picasa web albums

Zone8 wrote:

Recent awful changes on google are a total PITA - also on gmail. Really awful in fact. Gave up trying to make a new album and used pbase instead. I agree your views on picasa.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Thanks Zone8,
I guess Picasa has deteriorated.  I will probably use FLICKR instead.  They have much higher resolution images than in the past and it is quite easy to upload photos.

-- hide signature --
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,218
Re: Picasa web albums

I have Picasa 3.9.  Click on Tools, click on upload, and then click upload to Picasa Web Albums.  You can, if you choose, include an email message and share or simply upload.  You should go to Tools, Options first and click on Web Albums to set the size of the images and any Watermark.

-- hide signature --

drj3

 drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
rio911
rio911 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Picasa web albums

mstecker wrote:

How do I upload a photo from my computer to Picasa web album and NOT Goole+. I installed Picasa 3 and after it disorganized my photos, tried to upload one of them to the Picasa web album, but could not find the SHARE button they asked me to click on. I do see a green Share on Google+ button at the bottom of the screen, but none to export to the web album. I do not want to place the photo on Google+, only the public Picasa site.

I'm not sure but I think recently Picasa was discontinued by Google.  It was either replaced or merged in to the services provided by Google+.

rio

 rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 17,264
Re: Picasa web albums

rio911 wrote:

mstecker wrote:

How do I upload a photo from my computer to Picasa web album and NOT Goole+. I installed Picasa 3 and after it disorganized my photos, tried to upload one of them to the Picasa web album, but could not find the SHARE button they asked me to click on. I do see a green Share on Google+ button at the bottom of the screen, but none to export to the web album. I do not want to place the photo on Google+, only the public Picasa site.

I'm not sure but I think recently Picasa was discontinued by Google. It was either replaced or merged in to the services provided by Google+.

rio

That was my impression too.  I vaguely recall when, last year, Google announced that it was beefing up up the quality of its photo capabilities across all products and was placing Picasa like capabilities on all products, that Google also said no further development of Picasa would occur.  I remember thinking at the time, "THAT will raise an uproar".  When the uproar didn't occur, I assumed no one cared, or fewer people than I thought use Picasa.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295
Re: Picasa web albums

Perhaps one should read the thread below, and wonder why one should ever want to commit their prize images to Picasa for editing anyway.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38360022

I have to say I have never found a personal need for Picasa and have absolutely no difficulty uploading my images to PicasaWeb from the PC. However, I was entangled into the web of Google+ about a year ago, and seeing how it altered the visual appeal of my PicasaWeb albums, it took some time to get out of the Google+ nightmare and revert back my PicasaWeb as it used to be. For which I am indebted to the following link for the step by step procedure.

Removing Google+ is explained a few paragraphs down.

http://picasatutorials.com/2012/05/what-happened-to-picasa-web-albums/

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,462
Re: Picasa web albums

I find myself quite fine with Google+   It's a same upload location as Picasa Web Albums.    Both can still be accessed via respective interfaces.   The only difference is if you are on Google+, the upload button and box says so.    I can upload an album from Picasa (to G+), and then go to PWA and manage my just-uploaded album there.    Though frankly, I have not been to PWA for a long time.  G+ used to be limited (i.e. no Slideshow), but that's no longer the case.

There are still bugs, but they are being worked on.

photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,591
Re: Picasa web albums

I only use picasa web to share photos with friends, and it was a pain doing even that in google+. I appreciate google's products but they need to separate their ambitions from their customer's actual needs, and those of mobile phone shooters from those of us who slave getting the exposure right - only to find that picasa/google plus automatically applies a magic enhancer...

 photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
shuttershockwave Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: Picasa web albums

I used to like Picasa web albums as it fairly simple and straight forward but now they have completely messed it all up and integrated it into Google+ which I hate and can't stand. It's all very confusing now. I guess I'll be using Flickr again more now.

adymitruk
adymitruk Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: Picasa web albums

I'm not sure if Google Drive and Photo Uploads are or will be merged. Google Drive shows thumbnails of the RAW files I store there (from Sony NEX-7). Flickr doesn't store raw files as far as I remember.

 adymitruk's gear list:adymitruk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads