Painting my silver OMD to black? Anyone done it? Advises please?

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions
JM K Ken C Regular Member • Posts: 107
Painting my silver OMD to black? Anyone done it? Advises please?

Hi, I was one of the first omd buyers and when I got it they only had a silver version available even though I really wanted a black. So I have been wondering how I might be able to paint the silver OMD to black, if anyone has done it, what kind of paint or process is involved?

Thanks.

www.kenchiphotography.com

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,099
Why not just sell the silver and buy a black? Prices are good now.

I agree that the black is nice; I bought both when they were introduced and the silver one gets good comments; but the black body with grip gets even more good comments. If were to buy another (or future version), I would get the black one.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +6 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 11,905
Re: Painting my silver OMD to black? Anyone done it? Advises please?

Much better idea. Find someone else who wants a silver and swap with them.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +8 more
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,486
I came at it the other way around

I ordered silver when the OMD was first announced, but black was all they were shipping when they were first released.

No, not looking to trade... I rather like the black now.

Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,569

Too bad they don't make skins for cameras, like for some phones.

I don't think the paint would stick well after a time, even if you were careful. Better to trade if you absolutely can't stand it.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 3,637

Hi, I was one of the first omd buyers and when I got it they only had a silver version available even though I really wanted a black. So I have been wondering how I might be able to paint the silver OMD to black, if anyone has done it, what kind of paint or process is involved?

Thanks.

Don't do it. It will probably void any warranty, look awful and risk binding up your dials and buttons.

I'd hang on until the next version comes out and use it as an excuse to do a trade-in! (You'll certainly not be able to trade it in if you've painted it!)
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

ironcam Regular Member • Posts: 100

Just sell or trade it. You clearly have no experience in painting so odds are you'll end up with an ugly finish.

I'd just keep the silver body though. A silver body with black accents goes well with both black and silver lenses. Black bodies and silver lenses just looks weird to me.

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,600

If I were you I'd get some thin black electrical tape and cut it to fit.   That way you'll get a black camera while minimizing the chances of screwing it up, and retaining the ability to switch back later if you decide to sell it.

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,349
Question

Do you also hand-paint your car if you fancy another colour?

Painting a camera just sounds like such a silly idea to me.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: Question

This is madness, attempting to paint a camera.

If your serious, strip the camera down and get the parts anodised or plated, personally I`ve always liked gold

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,413
Hahaha...

If the OP succeeds i will, seriously, paint mine in gold colour. Now how cool is not that? A golden omd... Like having one front tooth in shiny gold.

ROTFL

Alumna Gorp wrote:

This is madness, attempting to paint a camera.

If your serious, strip the camera down and get the parts anodised or plated, personally I`ve always liked gold

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

JM K Ken C wrote:

Thanks.

Use tape like this instead. DO NOT PAINT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-3D-Texture-Black-Carbon-Fiber-Sticker-Vinyl-Flexible-Decal-Film-Wrap-Sheet-/130924970497?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7bbc8201&vxp=mtr

bcalkins Regular Member • Posts: 363
Gaffer's tape...

Just go this route, and deck it out with gaffer's tape a la David Hobby did with his Fuji:

http://strobist.blogspot.gr/2013/03/in-depth-new-fujifilm-x100s.html

At least you can go back, then, and not kill the resale on your body...

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Rol Lei Nut Senior Member • Posts: 2,699
Re: Gaffer's tape... +1

I've covered the white name and other letters on my black OM-D with gaffer's tape (and also those of many film cameras before that).

It truly is a stealth AND mystery camera now! 

OP JM K Ken C Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: Gaffer's tape...

Thanks everyone,

I think I'd either stay with silver or go David Hobby's way for now... I just thought that perhaps there is some special type of paint thesedays that could be used for my intention.

Ken

cfh25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070

A quote from this article:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-danger-of-colors.html

"But consider this: if I had a white Nikon V1 and a black Nikon V1 and was using them outside on a tripod for hours in the middle of a hot sunny day, would there be a difference between them?"

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,003

JM K Ken C wrote:

Instead of painting it black, you should find someone with a wood shop, have them mold an outside covering for it and put an "H" on it like this...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/10/hasselblad-lunar-now-shipping

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,344

congratulations on starting the daftest thread I've seen in 8 years on these forums

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,815

I thought that the multi color camera bodies were nuts, but painting a perfectly good camera body take the cake.  How about pink or light blue?  Use the camera...it is a tool, not a neclace! Go get yourself some sort of oddment to wear around your neck and give the camera a break!

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +24 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,003

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

congratulations on starting the daftest thread I've seen in 8 years on these forums

Read some of BobT's questions. Your opinion would probably change.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads