K5 Time for LCD to show image varies with lens

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions
cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,257
K5 Time for LCD to show image varies with lens

Hi all.  I have basically stopped worrying about how long my images take to show up on the LCD screen after the shutter is pressed.  But today, for the first time, I used my older 50mm lens (SMC Pentax-M 1.4) and an EX-tube.  The images appeared on the rear LCD much faster than they did with the "kit" zooms.  When I was done I put the 50-200mm on it and fired off a few shots.  Image to LCD time was definitely slower than with the 50mm.  Any ideas?

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 +12 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,038
Re: K5 Time for LCD to show image varies with lens

cutterpup wrote:

Hi all.  I have basically stopped worrying about how long my images take to show up on the LCD screen after the shutter is pressed.  But today, for the first time, I used my older 50mm lens (SMC Pentax-M 1.4) and an EX-tube.  The images appeared on the rear LCD much faster than they did with the "kit" zooms.  When I was done I put the 50-200mm on it and fired off a few shots.  Image to LCD time was definitely slower than with the 50mm.  Any ideas?

If you have the lens-correction option set it slows down writing because the correction algorithm takes time to run.  The camera doesn't have data for correcting older lenses so there's no slowing down.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

afterswish1
afterswish1 Contributing Member • Posts: 743

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

cutterpup wrote:

If you have the lens-correction option set it slows down writing because the correction algorithm takes time to run.  The camera doesn't have data for correcting older lenses so there's no slowing down.

Just out of interest Gerry, is there any point in leaving corrections on if you're going to be working with RAWs in the end anyway?

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

cutterpup
OP cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

Which leads to the answer of a question you didn't ask.  The lens correction is set to OFF.

afterswish1 wrote:

cutterpup wrote:

Just out of interest Gerry, is there any point in leaving corrections on if you're going to be working with RAWs in the end anyway?

I use CS6, which has the same version of ACR as LR4.  There's a lens correction module in that version of AXR so for me there's no point in correcting in camera.  But PSE uses a slimmed down version of ACR without lens corrections so with that it would be worth correcting in camera.

So the answer to your question depends on which raw converter you use.  If you aren't using one of the Adobe systems you'll need to find out if yours does corrections or not.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

cutterpup wrote:

Which leads to the answer of a question you didn't ask.  The lens correction is set to OFF.

I could have written "If you have ...  If you don't, I don't know the answer."  I relied on you to infer the final sentence from the fact that I didn't offer alternative suggestions.  Ah, well ...

-- hide signature --

Gerry

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

cutterpup wrote:

I could have written "If you have ...  If you don't, I don't know the answer."  I relied on you to infer the final sentence from the fact that I didn't offer alternative suggestions.  Ah, well ...

Never the less Gerry you are correct.... The camera has some options set that can only be run if Lens data is available.

There are many options that this applies to including lens correction.

As we don't have access to the camera it is not possible to say which option requires switching off .

A clue is any feature such as highlight correction is likely to need matrix metering which in turn needs an 'A' lens or better to function.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
cutterpup

Thanks to all who replied and definitely thanks to those who started and answered the sidebar.  very interesting information I hadn't thought about.

BTW, the camera was set to no corrections, lens, highlight or otherwise, spot metering and manual mode.

Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,792

I didn't know that the lens correct features would affect RAW images.  I figured it was a JPG-only thing like the highlight corrections and etc.  So, I haven't even ever tried any of the corrections settings.

afterswish1 wrote:

If you have the lens-correction option set it slows down writing because the correction algorithm takes time to run.  ...

... PSE uses a slimmed down version of ACR without lens corrections so with that it would be worth correcting in camera.

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Tan68

The only thing that occurs to me are corrections slowing the process down.  Since you have all corrections turned off, a stab in the dark: maybe some things are still being done to the file.  Maybe there are always some lesser corrections or who knows what done when newer lenses are on and then additional corrections when the feature is turned on..

I haven't really noticed any difference in write times between newer and older lenses.  I do sometimes press the playback button too quickly and wait and when no image shows have to press it again.

I liked the sidebar.

afterswish1
afterswish1 Contributing Member • Posts: 743

afterswish1 wrote:

cutterpup wrote:

I use CS6, which has the same version of ACR as LR4.  There's a lens correction module in that version of AXR so for me there's no point in correcting in camera.  But PSE uses a slimmed down version of ACR without lens corrections so with that it would be worth correcting in camera.

So the answer to your question depends on which raw converter you use.  If you aren't using one of the Adobe systems you'll need to find out if yours does corrections or not.

Okay thanks very much. I think I've gone into this before but the way it works is a little counter-intuitive to me so it didn't stick!

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

Wheatfield
Wheatfield Veteran Member • Posts: 6,297

cutterpup wrote:

Bad Gerry. Next time, feed with a spoon.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

cutterpup wrote:

BTW, the camera was set to no corrections, lens, highlight or otherwise, spot metering and manual mode.

DNGs on my K-5 vary from about 12MB up to about 30MB.  This seems to depend on the amount of fine detail and/or colour variation in the images.  I've never bothered to compare write times - after all, it's only when I see the files on computer that I know how big they are - but it seems logical that big files would take longer to write.

It might be worth checking the sizes of the files you're talking about.  It wouldn't surprise me if different lenses, especially different FLs, produce files of different sizes.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

cutterpup
Ouch

Wheatfield wrote:

cutterpup wrote:

Bad Gerry. Next time, feed with a spoon.

Tan68

Files with lots of dark stuff are larger.  Brighter files or files with lots of white are smaller.

cutterpup wrote:

DNGs on my K-5 vary from about 12MB up to about 30MB.  This seems to depend on the amount of fine detail and/or colour variation in the images.  ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads