A digital camera with a certain "film feature"

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions
gooseta
gooseta Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Re: A digital camera with a certain "film feature"

Anepo wrote:

Here is what I am wondering: Am i crazy to long for a digital compact camera that has got an optical viewfinder with settings unfo in it but does NOT have an lcd on the back?

A kind of a digital "film camera"? Where you wont know what you got until you put the sd card in your computer at home?

Is it just me that longs for something like that? Or does anyone else find that an appealing idea?

I taped up the screen on my X100 as there was a crack and I have been using the EVF for image review less and less. It's quite rewarding and you can learn to fix the errors easier.

-- hide signature --

Angad
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
X100 black
K5iis with Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6, M 50/1.7, Sigma 70/2.8 macro, DA*300mm f4
6D, 16-35L2, 24-105, 50 1.4
In a Lowepro and a Peli 1510

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
cgarrard
cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,513
It's not just you

Anepo wrote:

Here is what I am wondering: Am i crazy to long for a digital compact camera that has got an optical viewfinder with settings unfo in it but does NOT have an lcd on the back?

A kind of a digital "film camera"? Where you wont know what you got until you put the sd card in your computer at home?

Is it just me that longs for something like that? Or does anyone else find that an appealing idea?

Having the ability to turn the LCD off, and not having one at all, is a big difference. The challenge is great, therefore the pleasure of making a great image with a camera like that is even greater.

C

http://www.carlgarrard.blogspot.com/ (Best work compilation)
http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com (Gear reviews)
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (Now off the web)

zodiacfml Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I thought about that before but with the use of an EVF so we could still review images, yet, the advantages of removing the LCD screen at the back is very minimal in terms of cost, weight, and size.  I'd still use the LCD screen to review images when I'm not shooting.

Anepo wrote:

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

Theres one in every crowd, never satisfied.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 19

What about Epson R-D1?
I have had old 4/3 Oly camera with which I shoot with no LCD - I can turn it off completely for all the time and set only one ISO speed for the whole shoot walk, everything I need is coming from the VF - shooting A and M modes with manual lenses.

OP Anepo Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Enough with the hyperbole...

Again thank you for trying to start a flame war and the cursing is deserved,mif you do not have anything constructive to add only destructive then you might as well not post your BS comments here, thank you.

I do not plan to try to make sense to somone who obviously fails to read properly what i type.

Re: A digital camera with a lotta "film features"

Mark B. wrote:

Anepo wrote:

jess shudup wrote:

I want to:

Change SD cards after 36 exposures, and shoot same ISO and white balance on all 36.

Wait hours or days for results, and pay for each card each time I use it.

Oh wait.  I can do that.  And not look at the LCD ...

Darn these modern cameras.  Some come with features that I don't like or use.

Yes act like a five year old that will help your cause, also great name (sarcasm)

But guess what? A camera like this would serve a REAL purpose for photography students, right now they all have to shoot film and learn from mistakes that way, what if the battery was limited to 100 shots and they would NOT have to spend 30$ per film?

Think of it as "the digital camera for photography students"

Reality check.  There are no such cameras today - all digital cams have an LCD and last more than 100 shots -, and no camera maker is going to come out with one so let's just forget this line of thinking.

If an instructor wants to actually teach this way, it's easy enough - just have the students keep the LCD off and only use the VF.  I'm not sure why any instructor would not want students to learn immediately from their mistakes or experimentation, however.

Mark

Reality check for ya: less than 100 shot cameras: sigma dp1, sigma dp2, sigma dp1 merril, sigma dp2 merril.

Re: Crazy idea

ryansholl wrote:

Have you considered using... gasp... a film camera?

That is a crazy idea because it defeats the purpose of the first post that you clearly did NOT read entirely, the cost of film is mentioned.

deednets wrote:

Anepo wrote:

Can understand where you are coming from. Easily fixed on a Fuji X-E1 or X-PRO1: you can set the camera to use the viewfinder only ... so ... no, wait just read your comment re optical view finder ... so Fuji X-PRO1 ...

Not good enough?

Cheers

Deed

Way to expensive, the idea would be a cheap 200-300$ version.

DuaneV wrote:

It is kinda ridiculous.  Nobody is FORCING you to look at the LCD.  I have the display turned off and don't bother with it unless Im showing a client a photo I just took.  The fact is, like I said, nobody is forcing you to use the display.

That is not the point here, im talking about removing the lcd and adding a really big viewfinder like rangefinders have. This is one way to reduce the cost and to give you a real viewfinder not crap like on the powershot g15 and costs could be lowered so more punch in the camera for a lower price.

Re: It's not just you

cgarrard wrote:

Anepo wrote:

Having the ability to turn the LCD off, and not having one at all, is a big difference. The challenge is great, therefore the pleasure of making a great image with a camera like that is even greater.

C

I am glad to hear that.

zodiacfml wrote:

I thought about that before but with the use of an EVF so we could still review images, yet, the advantages of removing the LCD screen at the back is very minimal in terms of cost, weight, and size.  I'd still use the LCD screen to review images when I'm not shooting.

Anepo wrote:

Well it would have an optical viewfinder like a rangefinder and not a tiny "good luck seeing through it" optical viewfinder of the powershot g15.

Also the viewfinder would display shutter speed aperture iso & white balance and only shoot raw.

John1940
John1940 Senior Member • Posts: 2,753

Anepo wrote:

zodiacfml wrote:

Anepo wrote:

Well it would have an optical viewfinder like a rangefinder and not a tiny "good luck seeing through it" optical viewfinder of the powershot g15.

Also the viewfinder would display shutter speed aperture iso & white balance and only shoot raw.

The camera I use most is a Canon 600D. Sometimes, but rarely, I leave the LCD closed. I use the G15 second most. You are right about its optical viewfinder. If size is not an issue, I reach for the 600D. I'm an old film user and still have four 35 mm film bodies or cameras.

I just don't see any market for what you are proposing. Why not buy a film camera also? They are fun to use and with 35 mm provide nice 20 MP pictures using a film scanner. Film is not expensive because you don't take a lot of shots.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,658
Re: It's not just you

cgarrard wrote:

Anepo wrote:

my newest camera has an EVF, but you can turn the LCD to info only, so you can use it like an older camera if you want.

So, for even more challenge, go back to film!  Lately I've been playing with old manual focus cameras.

C

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,658

John1940 wrote:....

I just don't see any market for what you are proposing. Why not buy a film camera also? They are fun to use and with 35 mm provide nice 20 MP pictures using a film scanner. Film is not expensive because you don't take a lot of shots.

and you can get decent, fun cameras for cheap.

John1940

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,482
Re: A digital camera with a lotta "film features"

Anepo wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Anepo wrote:

jess shudup wrote:

I want to:

Change SD cards after 36 exposures, and shoot same ISO and white balance on all 36.

Wait hours or days for results, and pay for each card each time I use it.

Oh wait.  I can do that.  And not look at the LCD ...

Darn these modern cameras.  Some come with features that I don't like or use.

Yes act like a five year old that will help your cause, also great name (sarcasm)

But guess what? A camera like this would serve a REAL purpose for photography students, right now they all have to shoot film and learn from mistakes that way, what if the battery was limited to 100 shots and they would NOT have to spend 30$ per film?

Think of it as "the digital camera for photography students"

Reality check.  There are no such cameras today - all digital cams have an LCD and last more than 100 shots -, and no camera maker is going to come out with one so let's just forget this line of thinking.

If an instructor wants to actually teach this way, it's easy enough - just have the students keep the LCD off and only use the VF.  I'm not sure why any instructor would not want students to learn immediately from their mistakes or experimentation, however.

Mark

Reality check for ya: less than 100 shot cameras: sigma dp1, sigma dp2, sigma dp1 merril, sigma dp2 merril.

You still don't get the camera you're looking for, nor is it ever going to be made.  Accept compromises for what you want, or shoot film.

Mark

Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,136
I do not plan to try to make sense...

Anepo wrote:

Again thank you for trying to start a flame war

Sorry, the "flame war" stuff was all your own doing. Accept responsibility for your own actions.

and the cursing is deserved,

Maybe. If you're a first-grader on a playground or something. But not in a forum for adults.

mif you do not have anything constructive to add only destructive

Disagreement is not "destruction". If you're only going to accept people who agree with your every word as "constructive", you are not going to lead a successful or happy life.

then you might as well not post your BS comments here, thank you.

You are quite welcome. Since you are the only person who has been posting "your BS comments here", perhaps it is for the good of both you and our community if you take your own advice and "not post".

I do not plan to try to make sense to somone who obviously fails to read properly what i type.

Your inability to write comprehensibly and present a point logically is not my problem. Go back and read some of the other responses to you. Dozens of people disagreed with you. You failed to "make sense" to everyone, not just me.

If someone has a problem with you, it's their problem. If everyone has a problem with you, it's your problem.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,136
The 30% per decade rule...

Anepo wrote:

DuaneV wrote:

It is kinda ridiculous.  Nobody is FORCING you to look at the LCD.  I have the display turned off and don't bother with it unless Im showing a client a photo I just took.  The fact is, like I said, nobody is forcing you to use the display.

That is not the point here, im talking about removing the lcd and adding a really big viewfinder like rangefinders have. This is one way to reduce the cost and to give you a real viewfinder not crap like on the powershot g15 and costs could be lowered so more punch in the camera for a lower price.

The this you keep saying will lower the cost will send the cost right through the roof.

There is an important rule in electronics cost estimation called "30% per decade". That's not a decade as in "ten years of time", it's "ten times the quantity". Increase quantity ten times, and prices drop 30%. Conversely, if you decrease quantity by a factor of ten, price increases by 1/0.7 = 1.44. Look at the responses here. How many people do you think will buy your camera? 10,000? In a field where cameras normally sell in millions, you've doubled the price on everything but the screen. And those are cheap (look at kids' toys, to LCD picture frames). Now look at the viewfinders that several people pointed you to: they're more expensive than LCDs.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
DuaneV
DuaneV Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

I guarantee if a company did this sales would be poor (its a niche market.  Lets face it, people WANT an LCD, not a huge viewfinder like a rangefinder) AND I don't know why you think it would cost less.  Look at the D800e.  Exactly the same as my D800 but they REMOVED the optical low-pass filter and charged MORE for it.  Face it, it doesn't really make any sense regardless of how much youd like it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads