My FAV lens - simply brilliant - this should have a big fat RED RING around it's neck

Started Jun 4, 2013 | User reviews
Sad Joe New Member • Posts: 12
My FAV lens - simply brilliant - this should have a big fat RED RING around it's neck

Purchased this lens at a good discount from a branch of Comet a couple of years ago believing that I might make use of it on my APS-C cameras. Years ago I had a Nikkor 55mm MF lens on my Nikon FE/ FM a lovely sharp lens but it tended to gather dust at the bottom of my Billy bag. Not so this 60mm lens from Canon. It takes simply brilliant images and is far sharper than any of my other lenses (these include L glass and top end Nikon stuff) I look for reasons to use it. If/ when I go FF I will really miss this lens.

PROS: Quite cheap - I got mine for just £215 boxed brand new - so shop around. Light weight and compact. Well built - NOT an APS-C cheapie - this is real quality. Fast (sort of) at 2.8. REAL MACRO 1:1 with NO tubes or add on's. AF - quick and quiet. CONS: Not FF. Focus can hunt sometimes. Focus distance short if you want 1:1 etc.

OVERALL: If you shoot APS-C and want to do close ups - people or things, its brilliant - perhaps on people too sharp? Consider if you will give it enough use... then purchase and fall in love with the images it can produce.

Sad Joe's gear list:Sad Joe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Telephoto macro prime lens • Canon EF-S • 0284B002
Announced: Feb 17, 2005
Sad Joe's score
Average community score
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,566
Re: My FAV lens - simply brilliant - this should have a big fat RED RING around it's neck

No question, this lens has excellent image quality. It is a bargain.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Macnario
Macnario New Member • Posts: 3
Re: My FAV lens - simply brilliant - this should have a big fat RED RING around it's neck

Hi, I just "upgraded" my amateur photograph passion with a T4i and I bought a 50mm 1.8. I liked your comment on the EF-S 60mm f/2.8, and that made me curious: Can you compare these two lenses? I mean, can this 60mm do all the work of the 50mm with advantages or it is a complete different approach/use?

I just searched and indeed this lens is a good bargain. Do you recomend buying it besides the 50mm?

Thanks in advance,

Edmundo

Macnario's gear list:Macnario's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,007

I've never used the 50 1.8 but IMO, there are only 2 reasons to use the 50 over the 60 and they are:

1) you need a wider angle that "stepping back" won't give you

2) you need f/1.8 - f/2.5

Otherwise, the 60mm is superior at all f stops in the center and sometimes at the borders (trivial differences between the two).  Personally, I don't go around shooting flat objects so the borders matter less to me than center sharpness.  Add in the ability to shoot macro and... well...   AWESOME lens!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
geronimo789 Regular Member • Posts: 263

Macnario wrote:

Hi, I just "upgraded" my amateur photograph passion with a T4i and I bought a 50mm 1.8. I liked your comment on the EF-S 60mm f/2.8, and that made me curious: Can you compare these two lenses? I mean, can this 60mm do all the work of the 50mm with advantages or it is a complete different approach/use?

I just searched and indeed this lens is a good bargain. Do you recomend buying it besides the 50mm?

Thanks in advance,

Edmundo

This lens is absolutely superior to the 50mm 1.8 II. There is even no comparison. The 50 1.8 will have to be stopped down to 2.8 or 4.0 anyways because its quite soft wide open.

USM is lightyears different of the micro motor in the 50mm. It focuses fast, quiet and accurately.

The only downside to this 60mm is that pictures taken at 50mm are kinda bad (because its not possible)

geronimo789's gear list:geronimo789's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS M +3 more
probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
50mm compact macro

You could get the 50mm compact macro -- sharp as a razor - and if you upgrade to a full frame (and with 5d2 selling near a grand US why not) you still have a lens.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +3 more
HarryLally Senior Member • Posts: 2,531

If it had a big red ring around it, it would be built with magnesium alloy and weigh twice as much but not be better optically. I really can't understand why Canon insists that all its best L glass is enclosed in magnesium alloy bodies, We don't all live or operate in War Zones. Yes, it's a really good lens.

Michael.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Some L's are made of plastic.

EF 100mm f2.8L macro for example.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads