Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: I got my first SLR (fully manual) when I was 11.

brianj wrote:

Hense my question, 'has everyone turned into a professional here'?  Otherwise, if they are still taking a picture of their dog or cat then any camera would do.  Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Dogs are somewhat more cooperative subjects, but cats do call for the DSLR - something with an AF that gives you a chance at getting the shot when you see it.

The first 6 years of the 2000s, I shot with a couple different digital compacts, both above and underwater.  They represented an improvement over a similar film camera (an Olympus with a dual 35/70mm lens choice), but there were clear limitations due to the tiny sensor, battery life, and the slow focusing.  When it comes to underwater photography, everyone gets a lot of fish butt shots, which are totally useless.  The digital (Canon S400, in my case, a $400 choice) only made that worse - a lot can happen in the time it takes a single shot to happen.   It was also subject to blowouts with the sun or the flash.  The blue water background is blotchy.  But hey, dSLRs cost a fortune then and I had to accept the limitations.

That was then.  Now, you could spend $300some for the S110, which has one of the largest of the sensors for a compact, but it's still a tiny dot compared to an APS-C sensor.  If you want a DSLR on the cheap now, used 20d and 30ds are in that same price range.  Go up to $500-600 and you can get a new Rebel.  Either of them blows away the compact in most use cases, and no you didn't have to sell your kidney to get them.  You don't need the current release FF - the rapid focus, the optical viewfinder, the 3-5 fps are present even in the 5 year old used models.

Price isn't the reason anymore.  It's solely about the bulk factor.  I accepted that consequence and got rid of the other limitations.  It's hard to go back.  I have an S90 that usually annoys me.  I used the iphone 4S for spur of the moment needs during the day, rarely am happy with what it gives me.  So yes, "serious" work nearly always means putting out an slr.

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: Is everyone here a professional now

brianj wrote:

... I am bugged by the implication that if you don't use a DSLR then you can't be a serious photographer.

Brian

Think you need to stop paying attention to what "they" think & concentrate on what YOU think.

I left my serious gear home & brought my point & shoot (Canon ELPH) for a two week trip to Italy, opting for portability & convenience. I had great fun pushing that little camera to its limits, enjoying the challenge of trying to get good shots in dim churches and museums.  Composition, looking for good subject material, and thinking about the shot isn't any different, really.  I'm happy with the photos, too. Do I care that I didn't look like a serious photographer? No -- I'm not trying to impress anybody.  Too busy photographing to notice who's noticing me.

Maybe you need to hang out over at Flickr.  You'll find serious photographers of all stripes: pinhole, film of all formats, people who love their point & shoots.

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144

brianj wrote:

Hense my question, 'has everyone turned into a professional here'?  Otherwise, if they are still taking a picture of their dog or cat then any camera would do.  Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Brian

Please produce one link, just ONE link that shows someone requesting which DSLR is best for photographing their dog.

Waiting.....

Re: It's not about being a professional...

brianj wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

In this case, I think the term "serious" is being misused. A better term would be "passionate," in that many of us who are not professionals but are nevertheless obsessed with photography, and want to create images with the maximum level of craft we are capable of. The vast majority of pictures are taken in a far more casual manner - not a damn thing wrong with that either.

Maybe seeing the word 'serious' and that you need a DSLR to do this thing is what bothers me, this saying only came into use in recent times and now everyone uses it, passionate in a more suitable word. I would say that I am a keen photographer as it takes second place with me, if I am out and about then I will photograph what I am seeing and doing,

I seldom go on an outting where photography is the prime objective.

That says a lot there.  If the prime objective is not photography, then you are not as serious as some are.   That is not a judgement statement on my part (NOT: "I'm better than you").  So dont read that into it.

I treat my photography much more different in that at least once a week, weather allowing, I am out with the goal nothing but photography.

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,251

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Please produce one link, just ONE link that shows someone requesting which DSLR is best for photographing their dog.

Waiting.....

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3495015#forum-post-51545295

You numpty.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Looking at my pictures taken ten years ago (using a p&s) now I am not as happy with the results as I was back in the day. Though the fun of taking pictures is still the same.

With digital it has become easier (and for sure cheaper) to learn photograpy, so I believe more and more people buy a dslr that in the film days may not have bought one due to cost and learning curve.

I had an SLR in the film days because that was the best camera for seeing and framing exactly what the lens saw, but that is also the case with any live view digital camera now so no need to lug a brick around any more.

Brian

Calling an SLR a brick is a dramatic overstatement, unless you are feeble and weak.   Live view cameras are nowhere near an optical viewfinder yet.  They lag, have excessive contrast problems in difficult light, and suck battery power like there is no tomorrow.

Fine, we all get you hate SLR's.  You will not sway anyone with your arguments here.

Exactly! Nailed it.

Gary Martin wrote:

In this case, I think the term "serious" is being misused. A better term would be "passionate," in that many of us who are not professionals but are nevertheless obsessed with photography, and want to create images with the maximum level of craft we are capable of. The vast majority of pictures are taken in a far more casual manner - not a damn thing wrong with that either.

Some who are more serious or passionate want the very best.  The OP just wants "good enough".  That's fine for him, but the whining here makes him look childish and more than a little petty.

Some might light pictures of their kids with a nice compact camera. Nothing wrong with that.   I wanted more so got a Canon SLR and an 85mm f/1.2 L lens.  The portraits of my kids that I take with the Canon 85L bring me and my family great joy.   I could not do with less.

Mjankor wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Waiting.....

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3495015#forum-post-51545295

You numpty.

He's not asking which DSLR is better, he's asking which camera.

JudyN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

brianj wrote:

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

I show in a co-op gallery.  Many many people come in with large DSLRs hanging around their necks.  (Of course always Nikons or Canons.)  If they talk to me, I quickly discover that in most cases they are completely clueless.  For many it is now a status symbol to have a heavy camera around your neck. It's like a very nice car. Oh, dare I say they are almost always men?

You say DSLR and that is important. SLTs or four thirds won't do.

I hope you know that excellent photographs can be taken with any equipment.  Several excellent photographers in my community are now playing with their iphones (apparently no other phone will do) and instagram.

There are reasons to want this camera or that.  For example, many P&S cameras can take excellent macros with a large DOF that big sensor cameras can't achieve.  But there comes the day in many people's lives when they wantan interchangeable lens camera for this reason or that.  If that doesn't strike you, then just be happy with your camera!

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
OP brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

... I am bugged by the implication that if you don't use a DSLR then you can't be a serious photographer.

Brian

Think you need to stop paying attention to what "they" think & concentrate on what YOU think.

I left my serious gear home & brought my point & shoot (Canon ELPH) for a two week trip to Italy, opting for portability & convenience. I had great fun pushing that little camera to its limits, enjoying the challenge of trying to get good shots in dim churches and museums.  Composition, looking for good subject material, and thinking about the shot isn't any different, really.  I'm happy with the photos, too. Do I care that I didn't look like a serious photographer? No -- I'm not trying to impress anybody.  Too busy photographing to notice who's noticing me.

Maybe you need to hang out over at Flickr.  You'll find serious photographers of all stripes: pinhole, film of all formats, people who love their point & shoots.

Thanks you, your a breath of fresh air, so there is at least two of us here, I did the same for my trip to Vietnam and couldn't be happier.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Looking at my pictures taken ten years ago (using a p&s) now I am not as happy with the results as I was back in the day. Though the fun of taking pictures is still the same.

With digital it has become easier (and for sure cheaper) to learn photograpy, so I believe more and more people buy a dslr that in the film days may not have bought one due to cost and learning curve.

I had an SLR in the film days because that was the best camera for seeing and framing exactly what the lens saw, but that is also the case with any live view digital camera now so no need to lug a brick around any more.

Brian

Calling an SLR a brick is a dramatic overstatement, unless you are feeble and weak.   Live view cameras are nowhere near an optical viewfinder yet.  They lag, have excessive contrast problems in difficult light, and suck battery power like there is no tomorrow.

Fine, we all get you hate SLR's.  You will not sway anyone with your arguments here.

I'm not trying to sway anyone, once again I am just stating what I did, and I'm not sure why everyone gets so angry about it.  I'm also trying to figure out the state of play in the game of photography which has changed and is still changing rapidly.  I know that outside this forums millions of people like to use the phone that they have with them, so maybe they are less obsessed.

Brian

JudyN wrote:

brianj wrote:

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

I show in a co-op gallery.  Many many people come in with large DSLRs hanging around their necks.  (Of course always Nikons or Canons.)  If they talk to me, I quickly discover that in most cases they are completely clueless.  For many it is now a status symbol to have a heavy camera around your neck. It's like a very nice car. Oh, dare I say they are almost always men?

You say DSLR and that is important. SLTs or four thirds won't do.

I hope you know that excellent photographs can be taken with any equipment.  Several excellent photographers in my community are now playing with their iphones (apparently no other phone will do) and instagram.

There are reasons to want this camera or that.  For example, many P&S cameras can take excellent macros with a large DOF that big sensor cameras can't achieve.  But there comes the day in many people's lives when they wantan interchangeable lens camera for this reason or that.  If that doesn't strike you, then just be happy with your camera!

You've hit the nail on the head, yes I do understand that.

Brian

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Brian

I'm not trying to sway anyone, once again I am just stating what I did, and I'm not sure why everyone gets so angry about it.  I'm also trying to figure out the state of play in the game of photography which has changed and is still changing rapidly.  I know that outside this forums millions of people like to use the phone that they have with them, so maybe they are less obsessed.

Brian

People who use phones to take pictures arent real serious about image quality.  People who use SLR's are more serious about IQ.  It's not hard for me to understand, why can't you?

My wife uses a $350 compact camera.  I use much more expensive gear.  Anyone with half an eye can tell which images came from the compact, and which images came from my gear.

It's really really simply once you drop the SLR hatred.

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Thanks you, your a breath of fresh air, so there is at least two of us here, I did the same for my trip to Vietnam and couldn't be happier.

Brian

I took only a compact with me to one of China's most beautiful mountain ranges.  Absolutely spectacular scenery.  Because I thought we were going river rafting, I was scared to bring more expensive gear.   So in this incredible landscape, I used my compact as best I can.  I came home with decent images, even managing to get one published by a travel magazine.

But no way were they acceptable to me.  I know that with my proper gear, I would have produced substantially better images that would literally embarrass what I did with a compact.

Serious gear trumps casual gear when used by a serious photographer.

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Brian

I took only a compact with me to one of China's most beautiful mountain ranges.  Absolutely spectacular scenery.  Because I thought we were going river rafting, I was scared to bring more expensive gear.   So in this incredible landscape, I used my compact as best I can.  I came home with decent images, even managing to get one published by a travel magazine.

But no way were they acceptable to me.  I know that with my proper gear, I would have produced substantially better images that would literally embarrass what I did with a compact.

Why don't you lift your game even further then, why stop there, surely if perceived IQ is so important you might be able to get a specialty shop to produce a once off camera with 4 or 8 FF sensors in a matrix, then buy a TV the size of your house wall to sit and stare at the wonder of your creation.

Obviously this is an exageration, but everything must stop somewhere, I have just chosen to stop at a different level to you.

Brian

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Brian

Brian

People who use phones to take pictures arent real serious about image quality.  People who use SLR's are more serious about IQ.  It's not hard for me to understand, why can't you?

Technical IQ is almost irrelevant to me, its artistic content that is the holy grail for me, why can't you understand that?

My wife uses a $350 compact camera.  I use much more expensive gear.  Anyone with half an eye can tell which images came from the compact, and which images came from my gear.

I bet her images are the ones that get looked at most.

Brian

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Brian

Why don't you lift your game even further then, why stop there, surely if perceived IQ is so important you might be able to get a specialty shop to produce a once off camera with 4 or 8 FF sensors in a matrix, then buy a TV the size of your house wall to sit and stare at the wonder of your creation.

Obviously this is an exageration, but everything must stop somewhere, I have just chosen to stop at a different level to you.

Brian

As I and many others have already said, this thread is about YOU.  Why you need to comment about other's gear merely shows how bitter you are that everyone else has decided to move on from where YOU stopped.

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Brian

Brian

Technical IQ is almost irrelevant to me, its artistic content that is the holy grail for me, why can't you understand that?

If that were true you'd be shooting with only a phone.  Since it is not true, I choose not to believe the above.

There's your bitterness again.  Damn but you loathe SLR's with enormous passion.

Brian

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

Brian

Brian

Brian

As I and many others have already said, this thread is about YOU.  Why you need to comment about other's gear merely shows how bitter you are that everyone else has decided to move on from where YOU stopped.

Why would I be bitter, I have saved a lot of money and enjoy my photography as much as the next person.

Brian

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Limburger wrote:

People develop.

Brian

Brian

If that were true you'd be shooting with only a phone.  Since it is not true, I choose not to believe the above.

I would have a phone but I am not willing to pay for the bandwidth, so its just as easy to stay with the P&S which is still better.

You can believe whatever you want, even if it is wrong.

There's your bitterness again.  Damn but you loathe SLR's with enormous passion.

Would that worry you if I did, but again you have it all wrong, but go on taunting me if it makes you feel better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads