Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144
Re: It's not about being a professional...

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

...it's simply putting more thought into what you do. Like the difference between writing a forum post and writing a short novel; even if you don't publish it, or if you do but give it away for free online, there's still orders of magnitude of difference in effort and care. It's the difference between being an amateur in the true sense of the word, someone dedicated to the art itself, and a bored person looking for a way to kill time.

Not to offend the latter, of course—I treat drawing the same way, but I'm not about to suggest people who're serious about it (professional or otherwise) to drop Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and replace it with the smartphone app I use whose name I can't remember.

So everyone here isn't a professional, what you are saying is that many have become passionate.

Is the quest to become as passionate as your budget will allow?  I guess i am not passionate to such an extreme because I am not willing to sell my kidneys just to buy the lastest and greatest.

I dont see any evidence that anyone is selling the their kidney's or risking their financial life to buy camera equipment.  It just sounds like you are sour at your economic position.  People buying expensive equipment is not indicative of their poor finances.

I could afford any camera I wanted, that is not the issue, others have defined it better than I can, it is about the skill of the user to make the best of what they use.

I get a lot of fun from just trying to get the most out of any equipment, it could just be an old second hand camera, like the fellow who recently bought a G5 just because he always wanted one.  But what ever it is I am passionate about trying to get it to work the way I want.

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.

If they have no talent, their expensive gear will not help them.

agreed.

But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

I am trying to work out why I am becoming a dinosaur and out of step here.

You are a dinosaur?  I shoot with a Nikon FM2 now with a manual focus 50mm lens.  Beat that.

I would be more interested in the photos you took with it than the equipment itself.

Brian

Well, your OP makes it sound like you are far more concerned with others and how they spend their money.  Why make such a post if all you are interested in the images?  There are oodles of places to go where you can view images.

A few random images from my Nikon FM2 outings.  I've only had this camera for a few weeks so am still coming up to speed with it and the manual focus lens.

All images shot on Fuji Neopan 400 film.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421
Re: What happened to fun?

In my golfing days,now long gone, I was as serious as anyone about playing & scoring the best I could. To that end, I practiced more than any of my friends & managed a decent single figure handicap, till a different handicap, arthritis, caused me to stop. When playing I was trying my very best, as well as having fun with my playing partners. If I play terrible, I rejoiced in having been out & having fun with friends, & know there is always another day. I have the same attitude to photography. Yes, I am serious, in as much as I try to take as good a shot as possible, trying not to be careless or haphazard. If it turns out I don't get the shots I wanted or hoped for, I have learned something [hopefully!]

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
OP brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

happysnapper64 wrote:

In my golfing days,now long gone, I was as serious as anyone about playing & scoring the best I could. To that end, I practiced more than any of my friends & managed a decent single figure handicap, till a different handicap, arthritis, caused me to stop. When playing I was trying my very best, as well as having fun with my playing partners. If I play terrible, I rejoiced in having been out & having fun with friends, & know there is always another day. I have the same attitude to photography. Yes, I am serious, in as much as I try to take as good a shot as possible, trying not to be careless or haphazard. If it turns out I don't get the shots I wanted or hoped for, I have learned something [hopefully!]

I think that is very similair to to way I approach photography.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

...it's simply putting more thought into what you do. Like the difference between writing a forum post and writing a short novel; even if you don't publish it, or if you do but give it away for free online, there's still orders of magnitude of difference in effort and care. It's the difference between being an amateur in the true sense of the word, someone dedicated to the art itself, and a bored person looking for a way to kill time.

Not to offend the latter, of course—I treat drawing the same way, but I'm not about to suggest people who're serious about it (professional or otherwise) to drop Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and replace it with the smartphone app I use whose name I can't remember.

So everyone here isn't a professional, what you are saying is that many have become passionate.

Is the quest to become as passionate as your budget will allow?  I guess i am not passionate to such an extreme because I am not willing to sell my kidneys just to buy the lastest and greatest.

I dont see any evidence that anyone is selling the their kidney's or risking their financial life to buy camera equipment.  It just sounds like you are sour at your economic position.  People buying expensive equipment is not indicative of their poor finances.

I could afford any camera I wanted, that is not the issue, others have defined it better than I can, it is about the skill of the user to make the best of what they use.

I get a lot of fun from just trying to get the most out of any equipment, it could just be an old second hand camera, like the fellow who recently bought a G5 just because he always wanted one.  But what ever it is I am passionate about trying to get it to work the way I want.

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.

If they have no talent, their expensive gear will not help them.

agreed.

But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

You are a dinosaur?  I shoot with a Nikon FM2 now with a manual focus 50mm lens.  Beat that.

I would be more interested in the photos you took with it than the equipment itself.

Brian

Well, your OP makes it sound like you are far more concerned with others and how they spend their money.  Why make such a post if all you are interested in the images?  There are oodles of places to go where you can view images.

A few random images from my Nikon FM2 outings.  I've only had this camera for a few weeks so am still coming up to speed with it and the manual focus lens.

All images shot on Fuji Neopan 400 film.

I am not one who would be the best judge of film, but these look good to me.

Brian

Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.  But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

Brian

I'm struggling to understand your concerns/point.  If you are happy just taking pics for fun, that's great.  If I want to improve on my skills and have a better camera (without re-mortgaging my house), why not?  If Joe Block wants to spend $30,000 on his gear, great for him.  Why the concern?  You are happy, and so am I, and so are they.  

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421

Live & let live I say. Unless they have the abillity to affect my life, I think we are all entitled to speak our minds in a respectfull way.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more

Daisy AU wrote:

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.  But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

Brian

I'm struggling to understand your concerns/point.  If you are happy just taking pics for fun, that's great.  If I want to improve on my skills and have a better camera (without re-mortgaging my house), why not?  If Joe Block wants to spend $30,000 on his gear, great for him.  Why the concern?  You are happy, and so am I, and so are they.  

I think this response defines my point better:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51575073

and I don't think it has been answered yet.

Brian

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,656

brianj wrote:

ARShutterbug wrote:

You may be reading the wrong messages if you're not noticing the bulk of the amateur and hobbyist photographers.  For me, of course, it was never about fun.  I wouldn't have continued doing photography if it was only for fun, because photography is expensive and risky.  Fooling around with the camera in your spare time doesn't get you far, but hard work and dedication does return results.

If you want to know where the fun in life went, start by looking at what the governments and central banking cartels have done to societies.  Millions of people in the developed nations are living by a few threads, savings are being depleted to keep up with living expenses, purchasing power is being lost to the inflation of the money supplies, and many people are wondering how long it will be before a government bureaucrat does something so stupid that it starts another war or an economic collapse.  It looks like Prime Minister Abe may win the race to the bottom after all, but the economic shock won't stop there.  Freedom is fun, and peace is fun, but that's not what we have under the shadow of corruption and lies that have pervaded the global economies.

I don't disagree with your last paragraph, but I also don't dwell on it, I am too busy taking photos and enjoying myself, not because they are the best photos around, but just because I like doing it.  It is nice to get better at what you do, but that isn't the most important thing to me, so long as I can still afford something to take photos with I am happy.

Brian

..and whats wrong with others taking the view that self improvement can be fun?

Of course not everyone has to take photography seriously but questioning someone who looks to challenge themselves with their hobby seems like the politics of the schoolyard.

Personally what I like about photography is that its one of the few areas of popular culture where personal improvement and creativity is still an important element, elsewhere big business seems to want lazy comsumers.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,596

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

I've not had to sell any of my organs.  I've just been very fortunate in my career that I can afford a nice DSLR and some nice lenses to use.

No re-mortgaging of my house either.  One type of photograhpy I enjoy is birding, and I can't get shots I want to print and frame with a compact camera.

You're not a dinosaur, and there's nothing wrong with getting the most out of the equipment.  By the same token, however, there's nothing wrong with other hobbyists spending a bit more if it's in their budget.  I don't think anyone here expects everyone else to spend the same amount of money on the hobby.

Mark

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

ARShutterbug wrote:

You may be reading the wrong messages if you're not noticing the bulk of the amateur and hobbyist photographers.  For me, of course, it was never about fun.  I wouldn't have continued doing photography if it was only for fun, because photography is expensive and risky.  Fooling around with the camera in your spare time doesn't get you far, but hard work and dedication does return results.

If you want to know where the fun in life went, start by looking at what the governments and central banking cartels have done to societies.  Millions of people in the developed nations are living by a few threads, savings are being depleted to keep up with living expenses, purchasing power is being lost to the inflation of the money supplies, and many people are wondering how long it will be before a government bureaucrat does something so stupid that it starts another war or an economic collapse.  It looks like Prime Minister Abe may win the race to the bottom after all, but the economic shock won't stop there.  Freedom is fun, and peace is fun, but that's not what we have under the shadow of corruption and lies that have pervaded the global economies.

I don't disagree with your last paragraph, but I also don't dwell on it, I am too busy taking photos and enjoying myself, not because they are the best photos around, but just because I like doing it.  It is nice to get better at what you do, but that isn't the most important thing to me, so long as I can still afford something to take photos with I am happy.

Brian

Nothing, I was talking about myself.

Of course not everyone has to take photography seriously but questioning someone who looks to challenge themselves with their hobby seems like the politics of the schoolyard.

I'm questioning the statement that 'serious photography can only be done with a DSLR', not that it shouldn't be done.

Personally what I like about photography is that its one of the few areas of popular culture where personal improvement and creativity is still an important element, elsewhere big business seems to want lazy comsumers.

I agree.

Brian

brianj wrote:

I'm questioning the statement that 'serious photography can only be done with a DSLR', not that it shouldn't be done.

I agree.

Brian

But your not just reffering to yourself, your comments at the start of this thread were spefically addressed at others.

Its getting annoying how much often get this kind of passive aggressive posting here, especially when it comes to DSLRs.

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

I agree.

Brian

But your not just reffering to yourself, your comments at the start of this thread were spefically addressed at others.

In the OP I was talking about people saying on the forums 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR, I never mentioned self improvement.

Its getting annoying how much often get this kind of passive aggressive posting here, especially when it comes to DSLRs.

It also gets annoying when people start arguing and accusing about things that were not in the OP.

Brian

brianj wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

I agree.

Brian

In the OP I was talking about people saying on the forums 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR, I never mentioned self improvement.

Well wouldn't someone taking something more seriously be more likely to be focusing on self improvement? a DSLR may not of course be needed to that but it does clearly offer features that other cameras do not, especially when compared to compacts.

I sell some of my work on a small scale but its still definitely a hobby as well and there are clearly situations where I'll leave my DSLR at home because I'm only interested in recording events for PC viewing, not for printing in the highest quality.

It also gets annoying when people start arguing and accusing about things that were not in the OP.

Brian

It wasn't in your original argument but the way this thread has gone seems to happen time after time. Someone posts questioning someone elses need for a piece of equipment(most often a DSLR) then when their opinion is challenged they shift the argument trying to play themselves off as the victim bringing up their own needs.

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

I agree.

Brian

Well wouldn't someone taking something more seriously be more likely to be focusing on self improvement? a DSLR may not of course be needed to that but it does clearly offer features that other cameras do not, especially when compared to compacts.

Not necessarily, most of the people I encounter on here are new novices asking which DSLR should they buy.

I sell some of my work on a small scale but its still definitely a hobby as well and there are clearly situations where I'll leave my DSLR at home because I'm only interested in recording events for PC viewing, not for printing in the highest quality.

Fair enough.

Brian

It wasn't in your original argument but the way this thread has gone seems to happen time after time. Someone posts questioning someone elses need for a piece of equipment(most often a DSLR) then when their opinion is challenged they shift the argument trying to play themselves off as the victim bringing up their own needs.

Yes, but I would never do that.

Brian

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309
Re: Is everyone here a professional now

brianj wrote:

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

Where has the fun gone? Tell me how much fun it is to come home and find out that most of your photos are just not very good; out of focus or blurred because the camera wasn't able to get a large enough lens opening, or would not shoot at high enough ISO. How much fun is it to find your photos which looked OK at 4x6 don't look very good even if you try to print at 8x10 because they are so noisy?

For me the fun came IN when I started getting the kinds of photos I want. If 'fun shooting' was the objective we could all just use a Hello Kitty camera. I enjoy using my DSLR and I'm not burdened with 'a bag of glass costing thousands of dollars'; in fact I know I've got less invested than some people have in just 2 or maybe 3 bridge / superzooms that they buy over and over.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144

MoreorLess wrote:

brianj wrote:

I agree.

Brian

Exactly.  The OP was not directed at the author but instead against others.  It was a vent/rant against other people's choices and how the author felt left behind.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565

brianj wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

Brian

Brian

Okay, now I understand.  As I don't make a living out of photography and it's just a hobby for me, I guess for me it's just fun and I don't go on "serious shoots".  But, I understand that the capabilities of certain cameras will be preferred when someone it going out on a "serious shoot" that will hopefully result in some sales/income for them.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,058

brianj wrote:

I liked Draek's answer in the first response on this thread, "...it's simply putting more thought into what you do."

brianj wrote:

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

An analogy might be made to bowling.  Lots of people go with friends to the bowling alley; they rent shoes, use a house ball, maybe share a pitcher of beer, and have a great time.  Sometimes, one or more of them might start paying attention to the game itself.  Maybe they wonder why an apparent good hit didn't result in a strike.  They might read books, talk to the staff at the bowling center or the local pro shop; maybe they buy their own ball and shoes, take lessons, learn about different lane conditions, add to their equipment over time to enhance their ability to strike more consistently under those varying conditions.  They are putting more thought into the hobby, and they're having a great time.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?

To some degree, I suppose we're all a product of our experiences, but I've never understood the sentiment that an SLR is somehow an unusual choice for a photo hobbyist.  I recall that it was a necessary piece of equipment to enroll in the high school photography class (1970's), and authors like Brian Bower and others have, for decades, been writing that the SLR was, outside the studio, the standard tool for most professional and serious amateur photographers.  And why not?  It's highly versatile, comfortable to hold, and has a control layout that is both easy to use and fairly comprehensive.  Whatever the hobby, whether it's cyciling, hifi, cooking, archery, fishing, hunting, target shooting, bowling, or photography, part of the fun is increasing one's knowledge and skill in that hobby.  My opinion is that when a person has learned how to exploit the controls and accessories available on a DSLR, they're in a better position to understand and get the most out of a point and shoot camera, just as when a person has learned to exploit the different characteristics of his entire arsenal of bowling balls, he is better equipped to understand and get the most out of a typical hard plastic house ball.  My experience has been that taking a hobby seriously, putting more thought into it, increases rather than decreases the pleasure and satisfaction I get out of that hobby.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 15,459

brianj wrote:

Just because I'm a hobbyist doesn't mean that I want to be stuck with the limitations of point-and-shoot cameras.  Neither does it mean that I have re-mortgaged my possessions to go out and buy the most expensive SLR and DSLR bodies and lenses that I can find.  There were a lot of fine film SLRs, and currently are a lot of fine DSLRs, that provide most or all of the features that enthusiasts might want, without the breathtaking price tags of the truly "pro" level bodies.  That doesn't mean that the cost (or reduced portability) of a DSLR is for everyone, but it does mean that many people will find the DSLR route an attractive one to take.  Some of those people post here.

If I am not mistaken, there are forums here where posts about digital point-and-shoot cameras – or photos taken with them – are welcome.

As for your claim that pictures taken with "the best" equipment reflect "no accomplishment by the photographer", you couldn't be further off the mark.  A BMW, Honda, Toyota, or Corvette may be a much better, and more expensive, car than a Yugo.  Yet unless the more expensive car is equipped with "self-driving" gear from the likes of Google (or the universities that compete in the DoD's long-distance autonomous driving challenges, or the mythical creators of the fictional TV car 'KITT'), its safe arrival at the proper destination is still the accomplishment of the driver.

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
I will tell you what is not fun.

brianj wrote:

You have never tried to shoot birds in flight, fast indoor sports, these things take DSLRs, m43 cannot handle it let a lone a point and shoot.

No, it is no fun to try to take pictures of say birds in flight with gear that was not made to do it. You choose the right tool for the job, that isn't going to be a point and shoot in some cases.

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

Brian

They have all gone to instagram where they can take their snapshots, over cook them and complement each other on their over processed images. I think they think that is fun so that is where they have gone.

The fun is still here but the cheese has been moved. Depends on what type of cheese you like.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads