Nikon Service Still Playing Impact Damage Game

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions
ARMills New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon Service Still Playing Impact Damage Game

Seeing other threads here on this topic, I figured I'd chime in to reinforce the message that this is not acceptable service and it's still going on.

Situation:

I bought a 24-70mm f/2.8 REFURB from the Nikon Store for my D800E.  I take it out of the package, put it on the camera and can immediately tell something isn't right.  The focus sounds "crunchy" for lack of a better term and it's having trouble locking on.  I give it a little while and shoot with it for a bit to see if it works itself out (wishful thinking, I know).  It takes photos, so I figure it can't be all bad.

When I try to take the lens off, it won't come loose.  It's hard to tell what's wrong, but it appears that something inside is staying attached -- it rotates, but not together and it's not letting go.  It takes me ~10 minutes of gently (this is nearly $5000 of gear, you know) jiggling it around and it finally comes off.

When I put a new (known good) lens on the camera, it doesn't work.  It's dark and it won't shoot.  Not cool.  I'm going on a big trip in two weeks.

The "Resolution":

I send both back to Nikon's NY office for repair.  At first, it reports "Warranty Service" on the status and they go to the shop.  So far so good.

Then a few days later, I get a new estimate... for over $750 in repair costs for "tampering" and "impact damage". Both are practically brand new (I had the lens for a week) and neither have been dropped, hit, tampered with, set on fire or otherwise abused.

I've talked to the reasonably friendly but hopeless reps on the phone about half a dozen times now (one transferred me to someone who spoke Spanish then hung up on me) and I still don't have any progress getting them fixed well over a week into this process.  Looks like I'm traveling without my camera.

Thanks, Nikon.  You make a fantastic product, but your service is appalling.  When someone spends hundreds (let alone many thousands) of dollars on your products, you really need to try to take care of them, not try to pin false damage claims on them.  I'm very disappointed that I will be using a cell phone camera for the mountains of the Pacific Northwest instead of my D800E thanks to your "customer service."   Shame on you.

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,954
Re: Nikon Service Still Playing Impact Damage Game

My experience with Nikon servicing in the UK has been pretty bad.  They've been slow, and blame me for everything.

I've had both cameras and lenses come back either with the fault not fixed, or with new faults.  And I had the "impact damage" trick, too.  In each case, they told me I must have caused the damage after the item came back!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,969
Re: Nikon 24-70 Impact Damage (sic)

ARMills wrote:

Seeing other threads here on this topic, I figured I'd chime in to reinforce the message that this is not acceptable service and it's still going on.

Situation:

I bought a 24-70mm f/2.8 REFURB from the Nikon Store for my D800E.  I take it out of the package, put it on the camera and can immediately tell something isn't right.  The focus sounds "crunchy" for lack of a better term and it's having trouble locking on.  I give it a little while and shoot with it for a bit to see if it works itself out (wishful thinking, I know).  It takes photos, so I figure it can't be all bad.

When I try to take the lens off, it won't come loose.  It's hard to tell what's wrong, but it appears that something inside is staying attached -- it rotates, but not together and it's not letting go.  It takes me ~10 minutes of gently (this is nearly $5000 of gear, you know) jiggling it around and it finally comes off.

When I put a new (known good) lens on the camera, it doesn't work.  It's dark and it won't shoot.  Not cool.  I'm going on a big trip in two weeks.

The "Resolution":

I send both back to Nikon's NY office for repair.  At first, it reports "Warranty Service" on the status and they go to the shop.  So far so good.

Then a few days later, I get a new estimate... for over $750 in repair costs for "tampering" and "impact damage". Both are practically brand new (I had the lens for a week) and neither have been dropped, hit, tampered with, set on fire or otherwise abused.

I've talked to the reasonably friendly but hopeless reps on the phone about half a dozen times now (one transferred me to someone who spoke Spanish then hung up on me) and I still don't have any progress getting them fixed well over a week into this process.  Looks like I'm traveling without my camera.

Thanks, Nikon.  You make a fantastic product, but your service is appalling.  When someone spends hundreds (let alone many thousands) of dollars on your products, you really need to try to take care of them, not try to pin false damage claims on them.  I'm very disappointed that I will be using a cell phone camera for the mountains of the Pacific Northwest instead of my D800E thanks to your "customer service."   Shame on you.

HI!

The double whammy of a product that has had more than its share of expensive defects (e.g., Nikon 24-70 stiff zoom ring problem) and evasive customer service where Nikon unilaterally and deceitfully  deems a defect as de facto "impact damage", and reneges on its warranty:

Some reading for you:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_24_70/discuss/72157615300077438/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor/discuss/72157622777648320/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/39790248

Nikon's customer (non)Service, it the worst aspect of owning Nikon equipment.

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more
eths
eths Contributing Member • Posts: 775

I find the complaints about Nikon's service slightly surprising. My experience with Nikon in Germany has almost always been positive.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +18 more
Zalan Contributing Member • Posts: 864

ARMills wrote:

I'm going on a big trip in two weeks.

The "Resolution":

I'm very disappointed that I will be using a cell phone camera for the mountains of the Pacific Northwest instead of my D800E thanks to your "customer service."   Shame on you.

While I feel for your situation, I would buy/rent a lens for this trip. Even if it is a cheaper one or not up to the 24-70 level, it will be better then using your cellphone. If this is a big trip, it is worth to do and sell the lens when the other one gets fixed. If you buy used, you can lose very little or no money at the end as one trip does not degreade the value of a used lens.

-- hide signature --

Zalan Szabo
www.szabozalan.hu

Zalan's gear list:Zalan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
ralphcramdon Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

sorry about your problems and I hope you find a resolution.

i think Nikon's service is fantastic, I have never had a problem with them (Melville, NY center).

RBFresno wrote:

ARMills wrote:

Situation:

The "Resolution":

HI!

The double whammy of a product that has had more than its share of expensive defects (e.g., Nikon 24-70 stiff zoom ring problem) and evasive customer service where Nikon unilaterally and deceitfully  deems a defect as de facto "impact damage", and reneges on its warranty:

Some reading for you:

RB

I respect you opinion and feel bad for anyone having problems but keep in mind for every complaint here there are probably hundreds if not thousands of Nikon owners who have never had a problem with Nikon service. I'm not defending anything they may have done, I'm just making sure readers know your statements are your opinions (as are mine) and if your statements were a universal problem I suspect Nikon would be out of business as people would stop buying.

I sent them an SB800 that had 1 bad battery terminal. For $130 they gutted the device and made it like new. I sent them a 70-200 that had AF problems, they fixed it perfectly in a week, and also cleaned it.

I sent them a D800 that stopped AFing, they fixed it in a week and also cleaned the sensor

I could go on

pringe New Member • Posts: 6

In balance I have had very good experience with Nikon UK Service - they fixed my D600 dust/oil problem on a US-purchased camera under warranty (replaced the shutter plate, cleaned the area etc...), and was delivered back to my home address less than 48 hours after me dropping it off.

I feel for you in your situation though.

Robert DeCandido, PhD Regular Member • Posts: 317

(a) return the lens to the place where you purchased it

(b) purchase a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 with IS...look at reviews of this lens...great lens - I own the Canon version...it is well-made; sharp to edges...and has IS (neither canon nor Nikon F2.8 versions have that)

Robert DeCandido, PhD's gear list:Robert DeCandido, PhD's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony a6300 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Perceptions and considerations

Let's put this in perspective. The OP is brand new on the forums and this is his first post. Nothing in and of itself wrong with that, but a consideration.

Secondly, a lot of people feel Nikon overuses Impact Damage as an excuse for refusing warranty claims, but think about it. What is the most common way for a camera or lens to become damaged? Dropping or banging into something, I would imagine comes in first place and I'm not sure what second place is, but it's off in the distance. Also, many of us hand hold and don't keep the strap around our neck. We're outside with hard cement sidewalks or interior marble floors of a museum or something. We walk around with this device dangling on our necks and long lenses protruding into walls and doors.

While a lot of cameras and lenses are dropped everyday, few people want to admit it. Once they get into that mindset where they think Nikon can't be sure it was dropped, they get indignant with an impact damage response. Now they may want to join some social media outlets like DPR forums and vent some anger, probably as much on themselves as Nikon. I might react the same way if I were facing a large repair bill on a fairly new product. The rational might be, "Nikons are expensive and ought to hold up better from that short fall." "After all, it was only _______." Fill in the blank with grass, carpet, 3 feet, one meter, from the bed to the floor, etc.

There are also telltail signs of impact damage, I've been told. For example, in the 24-70 there are shear points that are supposed to break upon dropping to act like crumple zones so the optics have a better chance of surviving. I was told you can see minor hairline cracks in those shear points when the lens has had some impact, but not quite enough to break the lens in half at those points. Like the guy told me, there's only one way for those to crack.

There is no way we can tell. We weren't there to see if the OP dropped his gear. It's interesting to note after he used that lens, it wouldn't come off and twisting it around might have bent something internally in the camera body. I'm not saying that's what happened. I don't have a crystal ball, but I personally think it's very likely. That's sad because nobody wants a costly repair bill, but that's what happens when you drop your gear, even if it was a short distance and even if it was on carpet or grass.

I hope the new member OP gets some relief on this. It's no fun believing you're right and not getting taken care of. I'd certainly ask for an appeal. Always make sure you're Right. In fact, make sure you're Right of Right.

Take it easy, and take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
breivogel Senior Member • Posts: 2,403

You ought to rent a camera + lens for your big trip - at least you will get the satisfaction of some good photos  (If you  are in Portland - Pro photo supply has a good rental dept. Lensrentals,  by mail sees to be good also).

I am not sure that a refurbished Nikon lens is a good deal  since you don't get the 5 year warranty. I have had a fair number of lenses that needed service over that time frame (one, a 18-85 VR was repaired twice, then replaced, 3 years in).

Hard to see how impact damage could be the cause.  It appears that the aperture tab that the lens engages in the camera caused the problem . Maybe it was not returning to the starting position and bent the actuator in the body when you tried it. Worth checking a new  lens closely for mechanical issues before trying to mount it - especially used and refurb ones.

In your case, you can make a case that since Nikon sold you the lens, that they should cover the cost of repairs. You need to be persistent.  Ask to speak to high ups.   Might also try a different service center.

Good luck

breivogel's gear list:breivogel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 IV +19 more
John Fleming Contributing Member • Posts: 610

It's a long shot but....

People who are experiencing this type of crappy service (let's be honest about it) should start writing to the corporate office in Japan.  Maybe if enough people let them know what's going on with their service centers world wide they just might step in (I know wishful thinking but miracles do happen sometimes) and do something about it.

Nikon makes a great product and I think, like most big companies who've been around awhile, start to rely on their name/reputation.....  To me it's totally unacceptable (considering the big bucks spent on equipment) for people to fall victim to this lack of support on Nikon's part.   They forget that's it's people buying their products that keep them in business.....

John Fleming's gear list:John Fleming's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D700
Shaun_Nyc
Shaun_Nyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,285

ARMills wrote:

Situation:

The "Resolution":

How did you pay ? Credit card or debit. If Credit I would call your card provider immediately and at least get it recorded with them and hear their advice. I would then tell Nikon to send back your equipment untouched immediately and tell them your filing with small claims if you have to . Considering I have so much back up gear I would fight those idiots to the end. YMMV here.  Its starting to sound like a revenue trap with those people, don't lay over. I was in Melville customer service around the time the 24-70 was released and had two folks in front of me with crunchy 24-70's in hand. They suck

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D810 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +13 more
dwa1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,457
imho... It's Nikon Corp setting the policies - not Nikon Service.

imho... Although it's still not right and it's definitely not good customer service, it's not the service facilities that are setting these policies - they are just "following orders" which have been handed down to them from corporate exec decision makers.

Although I don't care much for the lack of direct communication with Melville, NY, that service facility has always done an excellent job on the lenses that I have sent in. With that said though, I always send my gear to APS in Chicago for non-warranty items and when a lens is in the 1st year of the 5-year warranty period.

This 24-70 lens has a history of the false "impact damage" claims - so why would anyone even think of buying this lens knowing the history and then turn around and complain about the problem when it occurs?

If someone buys it without knowing this "impact damage" ordeal, then that's another story.

Regardless... BAD Nikon! - for this issue. But GOOD Nikon for so many other items.

Wayne

dwa1's gear list:dwa1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D300 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,969
I give Nikon Service 2 "F"'s, one "B" and one "A".

ARMills wrote:

Situation:

The "Resolution":

MY Nikon Service experiences:

My Nikon Service experiences: One "A", one "B", and two F's.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818

Unfortunately, the net result of this thread will probably not benefit you. But, it will give others something to think about when making those tough gear buying decisions. And, they might buy from another company, one with a superb record in this area thereby harming Nikon. Which benefits you in terms of revenge if not successful photography. And, in the long run, such third party purchsses may lead to an improvement in Nikon's customer care ultimately benefiting us all.
--
www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D40 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,869

ralphcramdon wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

ARMills wrote:

Situation:

The "Resolution":

HI!

Some reading for you:

RB

I respect you opinion and feel bad for anyone having problems but keep in mind for every complaint here there are probably hundreds if not thousands of Nikon owners who have never had a problem with Nikon service. I'm not defending anything they may have done, I'm just making sure readers know your statements are your opinions (as are mine) and if your statements were a universal problem I suspect Nikon would be out of business as people would stop buying.

I sent them an SB800 that had 1 bad battery terminal. For $130 they gutted the device and made it like new. I sent them a 70-200 that had AF problems, they fixed it perfectly in a week, and also cleaned it.

I sent them a D800 that stopped AFing, they fixed it in a week and also cleaned the sensor

I could go on

but have you sent them a24-70

KewlEugene Regular Member • Posts: 306

If you search for my threads you will see that I have slammed Nikon El Segundo for crappy service as well over the past year.

But guess what? My 70-200VRII konked out this past winter (wouldn't register on the camera body at all) so I took it into Nikon Los Angeles on Wilshire Blvd and they fixed it for free under the 5 year warranty program.

It works great now.

pavi1 wrote:

ralphcramdon wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

ARMills wrote:

Situation:

The "Resolution":

HI!

Some reading for you:

RB

I could go on

but have you sent them a24-70

no

of the 50 or so nikon lenses I have owned in the last 9 years only 1 ever needed any service and that was after a ref slammed it into my head when he ran the sidelines and ironically it only needed an AF adjustment and nikon fixed it under warranty

the 24-70 has been a rock solid performer for me

RSchussel Regular Member • Posts: 238

I have sent 5 lens to Nikon Service and never paid a dime under warranty even though I didn't have the sales receipt for 2 of them--they were all US lens.

One lens was a 24-70mm F2.8  whose helicoid cam  failed after 6 months.

I realize that some have bad things to say about Nikon but for me it is not the Service Centers but rather their quality control. How could a 24mm F1.4 right out of the box have a focus issue so severe that fining tuning could not come close to fixing the problem?.

RSchussel's gear list:RSchussel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads