A prediction of the D400.

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions
ZinMe Contributing Member • Posts: 771
A prediction of the D400.
 ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
Re: A prediction of the D400.

Good. Lets hope it comes out sooner than later ..... selling price will be the determining factor for me.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more
Hansa Yindee
Hansa Yindee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,263

ZinMe wrote:

http://photographylife.com/nikon-d400-is-definitely-coming#more-51284

Certainly good news and I have always felt the floods were a major

factor.. Reason is I live here in Thailand and personally know just how

devastating the floods were. Some areas have never recovered.

One of my in laws is an engineer that worked in another business

just across the road from Nikon Thailand. Everyone was hit hard !

Thanks for you update ..;-)

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

Makes sense to me!

Lets hope the beast also materialises.

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,454

This particular may or may not contain some accurate statements (hard to know), but it also contains one piece of logic that just makes no sense.

In this statement: "Second, Nikon does not want to release the D400 until Canon is ready with its 7D Mark II, the only true competitor to Nikon’s sports and wildlife line."

Why in the world would Nikon sit on a product and wait until it's competition releases something?  There is no competitive reason to do so.  That just lessens the market for your own product by enabling the competition to have their product in the market when you do.  Nikon would release the D400 if it was ready.  If it's under development and not being released, that's because it isn't ready.  It's not because Canon hasn't released the 7D Mark II.  The fact that Canon hasn't released something in this space may have allowed Nikon to prioritize other things ahead of it, but Nikon isn't sitting on a finished D400 waiting for Canon to release it's camera first.  There's no business logic in that.

It does make sense that Nikon needs a new EXPEED to handle 24MP at 8fps with decent noise.  That is likely why we have no true D300 or D700 replacement at 8fps.  A D800s could seriously use the new EXPEED too and perhaps get to 6fps at 36MP.

A more advanced AF system for the D400 would be good and would also help differentiate it further from the D7100.  Nikon could certainly also use it in a D4s and a D800s.  I'd be a little surprised if we saw a new AF system in the D400 first before it showed up in any FX body as that would be a little unusual.

-- hide signature --
AceCo55
AceCo55 Regular Member • Posts: 243

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrh

I got tired of waiting ... and ordered/paid for the D4 YESTERDAY!!!!

seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,834

Yet for some strange reasons it seems like Canon and Nikon seem to go hand-in-hand when releasing new cameras.

It is likely that we will see the D4S first and then D400/D800s next. (Say D400 Q4/13, rest Q1/14)

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

AceCo55 wrote:

I feel ya. I got tired of waiting on the 80-400 and ordered a 300mm f2.8 VRII two weeks before the rumors hit.. I suspect both of us won't regret it when the back account recovers. 

Excited about the D400 though! This could replace my D7000 as my "sports" backup to my D800.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,866

InTheMist wrote:

AceCo55 wrote:

Excited about the D400 though! This could replace my D7000 as my "sports" backup to my D800.

Yes, I gave in and got a D800, and I know a couple of others that have done so.  I would have liked a D400, but the longer the wait, the smaller the remaining market.  Nikon will be quite happy if potential D400 customers get D600 or D800, obviously, as they'll also need to buy more expensive lenses.

Mind you, the D800 is sex in a Nikon case!  It's a fabulous camera, even if I couldn't really afford it.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
SnappinOutdoors Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Please no. Not the D7100 sensor

Oh boy.  All sounds fantastic, except the part where it sounds like they intend to lift the exact same sensor from the D7100.  Not thrilled by that... I hope for a little more advancement.  Going to be very interesting, the D400 sensor vs the 7DII sensor.  Both cameras will have blazing AF, large buffers and the rest... what will the high ISO performance be?  Wildlife and sports shooters are low-light shooters.

OP ZinMe Contributing Member • Posts: 771

I tend to agree, I think the main hold-up is probably the frame rate and buffer.  It shouldn't be THAT hard to engineer a solution, but for some reason Nikon didn't have the processing and bandwidth capacity ready to handle 24MP-36MPs at a decent frame rate.   It's almost like they forgot to work on this area, and it forced them to deliberately cripple their cameras.

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

jfriend00 wrote:

In this statement: "Second, Nikon does not want to release the D400 until Canon is ready with its 7D Mark II, the only true competitor to Nikon’s sports and wildlife line."

Why in the world would Nikon sit on a product and wait until it's competition releases something?  There is no competitive reason to do so.  That just lessens the market for your own product by enabling the competition to have their product in the market when you do.  Nikon would release the D400 if it was ready.  If it's under development and not being released, that's because it isn't ready.  It's not because Canon hasn't released the 7D Mark II.  The fact that Canon hasn't released something in this space may have allowed Nikon to prioritize other things ahead of it, but Nikon isn't sitting on a finished D400 waiting for Canon to release it's camera first.  There's no business logic in that.

It is valid for the same reason car dealers locate close to other car dealers with different brands, home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot always locate near one another. By timing the release of both cameras Canikon will get the most advertising buzz from competitive comparisons by reviewers, press and customers. There will be more internet hype and talk amongst reviewers. This is a very well known and accepted marketing strategy.

For whatever reason the problem seems to be that Canon has lost it's desire to develop and introduce new products.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

jfriend00 wrote:

This particular may or may not contain some accurate statements (hard to know), but it also contains one piece of logic that just makes no sense.

Could be collusion between the companies, which is not unheard of in Japan and/or coercion by the MITI.

Who knows??

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,700

If it does come out with a Toshiba sensor, it would indicate to me that Nikon is making a clear distinction in image robustness between the DX and FX lines.  I'm talking artifacting, not merely sensor size.  One more not-so-subtle nudge from Nikon to go FX.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Geomaticsman
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,139

Simon Garrett wrote:

InTheMist wrote:

AceCo55 wrote:

Yes, I gave in and got a D800, and I know a couple of others that have done so.  I would have liked a D400, but the longer the wait, the smaller the remaining market.  Nikon will be quite happy if potential D400 customers get D600 or D800, obviously, as they'll also need to buy more expensive lenses.

Mind you, the D800 is sex in a Nikon case!  It's a fabulous camera, even if I couldn't really afford it.

+1. For what I do (birding) the D800 is the best camera on the market even with it's limited FPS.

I'm still interested to see what the D400 looks like, but what I'm really hoping for is a high-speed, high resolution D4s.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +4 more

Phil_L wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Could be collusion between the companies, which is not unheard of in Japan and/or coercion by the MITI.

Who knows??

Yeah, but collusion between two companies is generally done in order to benefit both companies at the expense of the customer (e.g. colluding to both raise prices at the same time). How does holding back a finished product until your competitor releases their competing product help both companies?  I don't see that motivation here.

-- hide signature --

mosswings wrote:

If it does come out with a Toshiba sensor, it would indicate to me that Nikon is making a clear distinction in image robustness between the DX and FX lines.  I'm talking artifacting, not merely sensor size.  One more not-so-subtle nudge from Nikon to go FX.

Nikon wouldn't pick a Toshiba sensor because it has worse IQ.  They would pick it because it's better for the job at hand, not worse.

-- hide signature --
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Here is the Latest Rumour....

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-d400-rumored-specs/

Bit pricey and also contradiction of description new AF on one sentence and then it says same AF module from D7100.

Video seems to be same as D7100 and hope Nikon announces a D4'ish pro video camera with 36MP  / 16mp and 4K+ like Canon has done and rumored Sony is bringing one out

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,700

jfriend00 wrote:

mosswings wrote:

Nikon wouldn't pick a Toshiba sensor because it has worse IQ.  They would pick it because it's better for the job at hand, not worse.

-- hide signature --

Perhaps, and there are some really nice attributes to the Toshiba sensor.  But it seems that Nikonians have been spoiled by the nearly preternatural ability of the Sony EXMOR sensors driving the market success of the D90, D300s, D7K, D800, and D600 to produce extraordinarily clean pulled images.  At least that's what you'd think by all the hand-wringing going on with the D7100/5200 intro talk on the Consumer DX forum.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: Here is the Latest Rumour....

thomas2279f wrote:

http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-d400-rumored-specs/

Bit pricey and also contradiction of description new AF on one sentence and then it says same AF module from D7100.

Indeed, sounds bogus. Other than that, the specs are reasonable, in fact they are so obvious that anyone could make them up. There is not a single piece of information there which would actually reveal anything new or unexpected. So, probably not a substantive rumor.

Video seems to be same as D7100 and hope Nikon announces a D4'ish pro video camera with 36MP  / 16mp and 4K+ like Canon has done and rumored Sony is bringing one out

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads