Three Graces (beautiful girls) D3, night shot in LA

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: the "three graces" are? Thanks for the little detailed history

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

mironv wrote:

If you see any garce in any of this posing girls than you must smoke some strong stuff.

He didn't say "grace", he said the "three graces." That's an element of Roman and Greek mythology that has more to do with three aspects of women, or three stages in their growth. The traditional depiction of the three graces, say Raphael or Rubens, is one of them connecting with the observer (like the girl on the left in the OP's picture), one indifferent (the girl on the right), and one aware but turning away or shielding their face (the girl in the center).

I think he nailed the concept.

What is a world comming too.

I don't know. You made quite a rude response to something that you didn't understand. You have done this many times. You really need to stop. If you see something you don't understand, don't attack. Instead, ask politely for more information, like "OK, I'm not getting it. How is this 'the three graces'?"

Grace on 3 girls seating on a biks waiting for something.

Yeah, and Raphael had his three graces holding apples. Go argue the merits of "holding something" and tell us how you outgun Raphael artistically. Ovenden had one of his three pulling another one's hair, three stages of maturity, much the same as Carnach did four centuries earlier.

You like to post some pictures don't put tilte on.

The title works for that image. I'm sorry you don't understand why it does, but for God's sake, don't be such a jerk about it.

So, I liked the pic 'full stop' (for aesthetic reasons), but, now the OP and you Joseph have educated me with a little bit of mythology/ art history, merci.

Enjoyed that little summary, and yes, according to that synopsis, the OP did indeed nail the concept and thanks to you both for the added education.

We are always learning.....

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: Three Graces (beautiful girls) D3, night shot in LA

ofior wrote:

When I first looked at the shot, I did no think of a pervert, or the noise, or what the three graces were, just found the photo intriguing  enough to want to read the story.  If an image creates this much feedback (good or bad), I'd stay something worked.  

Ozzie

Lol , true. I have a book World Photography published by Bryn Campbell. It is a compilation of works of various masters and narratives which include paraphrased interviews.

If some of those images were published 'without context' here, I think they might stir up some very serious discussions / rants etc etc  

I agree, its art, have fun!  And life is too short to worry about such things...

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Pradipta Dutta
Pradipta Dutta Veteran Member • Posts: 9,782
Very well done

Looks like a still from a movie. Very natural, very casual and very compelling capture.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
kayone Regular Member • Posts: 316

mironv wrote:

If you see any garce in any of this posing girls than you must smoke some strong stuff.

What is a world comming too. Grace on 3 girls seating on a biks waiting for something.

You like to post some pictures don't put tilte on. Or realy put some time to think what it shod be.

There is not a even pintch of grace in this one.

Don't be an idiot please.  internet troll

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,240
Re: Very well done

Agree+++1

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
OP jammerbirdi_1 Contributing Member • Posts: 880

Just truly humbled by the many appreciative comments and analysis. Thank you each and every one of you. Very much.

-- hide signature --

http://50lux.com
@50luxdotcom on Twitter

RudivanS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,480
Re: "spend so much time"? It was two short words!

RudivanS wrote:

This photo aside (it's ok) - When so called artists / photographers can and do spend so much time explaining pictures / photographs in words it smacks of salesmanship = baloney.

I'm missing the "spend so much time ... in words" aspect of this. He used two words, a grand total of "three syllables", to draw a parallel with other depictions of a concept that artists have been working with for many centuries, the mythological "three graces".

I stated - 'This photo aside'- meaning /not this/ pic or example. Just a little rant on 'artists' in general.

Please excuse the misplacement of the comment.

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Olympus PEN-F Canon Pixma Pro-10
1w12q312qw1 Contributing Member • Posts: 732

jammerbirdi_1 wrote:

Just truly humbled by the many appreciative comments and analysis. Thank you each and every one of you. Very much.

The headlight attracts my eye immediately and you can't see the middle girl's face and it looks like a typical Thomas Miller snapshot. But everyone else here LOVES it and sees the "art" so just disregard my misguided and totally amateur opinion.

Stan

ofior Contributing Member • Posts: 583

Thanks for sharing. Loved the photo. And learned about the three graces. How cool is that?

Ozzie

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

jammerbirdi_1 wrote:

Due to the nature of DPReview's forum threads, each time we return to one we get to see the OP, the first post that created the thread. Many of us that for whatever reason return to the thread many times find it annoying when that first post contains many photos that are seen over and over and over again. Yours only had one photo in it but it's one of a relatively small number of threads that I could happily return to time after time based only on the photo. But you added even more to it by titling it "Three Graces", making it even more memorable.

zodiacfml Contributing Member • Posts: 544

What a rare catch. I'm also equally impressed with this shot. They look so good that I guess that there's a photo or video shoot going on there but the image doesn't tell that easily.  The post processing is also appropriate.

Equally impressive is your D3 for capturing this rare moment in the streets. Thanks for sharing.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

zodiacfml wrote:

What a rare catch. I'm also equally impressed with this shot. They look so good that I guess that there's a photo or video shoot going on there but the image doesn't tell that easily.

No, that's just West Los Angeles. Those beautiful girls you see in ads, movies, and videos have to live somewhere.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

cboudier Regular Member • Posts: 413

mironv wrote:

Another delusional photog that dose not know what garce is.

Funny to read from France

Grace = graciousness

Garce = slut

Beware of spelling !

-- hide signature --

Christophe Boudier

cboudier's gear list:cboudier's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

Great shot. The image speaks for itself, no backstory needed.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more

InTheMist wrote:

Great shot. The image speaks for itself, no backstory needed.

Absolutely, the feeling I get from this snapshot is "there's no there there", quite the poignant ambiance of a lonely cityscape. The composition is superb, there must have been a lot of thought put into it before the shutter button was pressed. I can read the thoughts of each of the 3 ladies clearly, pure Zen. To capture a contemporary "3 Graces" on a city street shows the mark of a true photographer. Stunning, genius, should be hanging in a museum in my honest opinion.

Stan

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Three Wise Monkeys

The impromptu capture is sometimes the most cherished. This shot is brilliant on many levels. Like any good piece of art, it engages the viewer and provides a medium open to seemingly countless interpretations.

Viewing the photo today, I am reminded of the Three Wise Monkeys: "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

Re: Three Wise Monkeys

reginalddwight wrote:

The impromptu capture is sometimes the most cherished. This shot is brilliant on many levels. Like any good piece of art, it engages the viewer and provides a medium open to seemingly countless interpretations.

Viewing the photo today, I am reminded of the Three Wise Monkeys: "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

I agree, the elegant, feminine "vacuity" of the mental processes going on with the 3 Graces adds to the brilliance of this photo. It engages my mind to the countless interpretations you mention, running the gamut of pondering the mysteries of the universe to the blank, underbelly slate of the common LA streetwalker. And to think this was taken 5 years ago and is only now getting this exposure is truly remakable. A real hidden treasure, if you will, it would win any photo contest, hands-down. One thing about "art", you know it when you see it.

Stan

ScottnLaguna
ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 756

Wow. Three young girls and not a single iPhone in sight.

ScottnLaguna's gear list:ScottnLaguna's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,404
Re: Miron, do you know what the "three graces" are?

mironv wrote:

He didn't say "grace", he said the "three graces." That's an element of Roman and Greek mythology that has more to do with three aspects of women, or three stages in their growth. The traditional depiction of the three graces, say Raphael or Rubens, is one of them connecting with the observer (like the girl on the left in the OP's picture), one indifferent (the girl on the right), and one aware but turning away or shielding their face (the girl in the center).

I think he nailed the concept.

What is a world comming too.

I don't know. You made quite a rude response to something that you didn't understand. You have done this many times. You really need to stop. If you see something you don't understand, don't attack. Instead, ask politely for more information, like "OK, I'm not getting it. How is this 'the three graces'?"

Grace on 3 girls seating on a biks waiting for something.

Yeah, and Raphael had his three graces holding apples. Go argue the merits of "holding something" and tell us how you outgun Raphael artistically. Ovenden had one of his three pulling another one's hair, three stages of maturity, much the same as Carnach did four centuries earlier.

You like to post some pictures don't put tilte on.

The title works for that image. I'm sorry you don't understand why it does, but for God's sake, don't be such a jerk about it.

Thanks for the education on Raphael's work as it relates to this photo, I didn't catch that and now I can appreciate the photo even more.

To OP, I'd like to see it in B&W if that's something you're considering.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
GEAH
GEAH Junior Member • Posts: 31

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

Looks like a still from a movie. Very natural, very casual and very compelling capture.

What is natural or casual about a still from a movie?

GEAH's gear list:GEAH's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 NEX-5T Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads