"Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
José Ramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
"Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters
11

"Plot Twist" | Carrasqueira, Portugal

José Ramos ©

Sony a77 + Sigma 10-20mm
Exposure: 30 seconds
Aperture: f11
ISO: 100
Hitech 3 stop soft ND grad
Hitech 10 stop ND
Tripod
Remote Shutter

-- hide signature --
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tjwaggoner
tjwaggoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,115
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Stunning as always

 tjwaggoner's gear list:tjwaggoner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Excellent capture.  The wide angle is well used here.

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

 moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM
esmall Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters
1

Great capture.  I'm interested in the Hitech filters.  Any advice?  Are you using the 85mm or 100mm size?  I've read with the ultra wide angle lenses that 100mm is needed to avoid the vignetting   Also what holder do you use or recommend?

-- hide signature --

Ernest
a77/a300/CZ 24-70 f2.8/Tamron 10-24mm/Tamron 70-200 f2.8/Sony 35mm f1.8/Tamron 17-50 f2.8/Minolta 24-105/Minolta 100-200/Minolta 50 f1.7/Tamron 90 SP Macro
http://www.ernestsmallphotography.com
See my PhotoStream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ernestsmall/

 esmall's gear list:esmall's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,579
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Beautifully composed and captured. Thanks for sharing the technical details too.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

 TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,710
Excellent!

Great composition, colours, dramatic sky, very well seen and executed.

-- hide signature --

Barry

José Ramos OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters
1

esmall wrote:

Great capture.  I'm interested in the Hitech filters.  Any advice?  Are you using the 85mm or 100mm size?  I've read with the ultra wide angle lenses that 100mm is needed to avoid the vignetting   Also what holder do you use or recommend?

Hi Ernest.

You do definitely need to use the 100mm filters with ultra wide angle lenses. Even with the 100mm filters you will need the wide angle adaptor ring, if you use an Hitech holder, or to invert the holder, if you use the cokin z-pro holder.

I'm using the Cokin Z-Pro holder, but I'll receive a Hitech holder soon (got a sponsorship from them) to try it.

-- hide signature --
Steve Cohan Senior Member • Posts: 1,693
Beautiful work, Jose!! nt

No text.

 Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II +25 more
cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Do you have many flare issues with the Hightech filters? Do you have to clone many?

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

José Ramos OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

cosmonaut wrote:

Do you have many flare issues with the Hightech filters? Do you have to clone many?

As long as I clean the filters, there isn't much issue with flare. 95% of the flare is created by the Sigma.

-- hide signature --
FlyNavy Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Excellent work!

-- hide signature --
Aranea Forum Member • Posts: 86
Wow!

It looks great!

And now a newbie question: what's the advantage of using NDs and then increasing the exposure time over a shorter exposure without the filters? Thanks.

Maxxuman Senior Member • Posts: 1,710
Re: Wow!

Aranea wrote:

It looks great!

And now a newbie question: what's the advantage of using NDs and then increasing the exposure time over a shorter exposure without the filters? Thanks.

The ND filters and the longer exposure achieved blurred the water.  The ND Grad was likely used to enable the foreground (water, pier) to be brightened, so they wouldn't appear dark relative to the bright sky.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Aranea Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Wow!

Maxxuman wrote:

Aranea wrote:

It looks great!

And now a newbie question: what's the advantage of using NDs and then increasing the exposure time over a shorter exposure without the filters? Thanks.

The ND filters and the longer exposure achieved blurred the water.  The ND Grad was likely used to enable the foreground (water, pier) to be brightened, so they wouldn't appear dark relative to the bright sky.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Thank you very much. Explained like this it makes a lot of sense and I can see it in the photo.

brian14478
brian14478 Senior Member • Posts: 3,703
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

I knew it was going to be nice.....and it is

A gorgeous shot.

The color charachteristics of the a77 and the extra resolution and mps is perfect for your photography....

You really use the a55 to its potential.  Now you can really "get down to buisiness."  Thank you for sharing your equipment/technique and i hope you are making revenue from your photography.  The time, effort and artistry involved isnt something that comes cheaply or easily.   What you capture is a life lived so to speak right down to the title.

I hope to be able to capture nature/landscapes as beautifully as you have always done, it may not happen for quite a while though because i am a big animal lover right down to little bee....Thanks for sharing,brian

José Ramos OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

brian14478 wrote:

I knew it was going to be nice.....and it is

A gorgeous shot.

The color charachteristics of the a77 and the extra resolution and mps is perfect for your photography....

You really use the a55 to its potential.  Now you can really "get down to buisiness."  Thank you for sharing your equipment/technique and i hope you are making revenue from your photography.  The time, effort and artistry involved isnt something that comes cheaply or easily.   What you capture is a life lived so to speak right down to the title.

I hope to be able to capture nature/landscapes as beautifully as you have always done, it may not happen for quite a while though because i am a big animal lover right down to little bee....Thanks for sharing,brian

Brian, you have no idea about how much those passionate comments inspire to keep shooting more and more.

Yes, the a77 is a match made in heaven. I can only imagine it being topped by the a99, but then I'd have to spend a fortune in lenses.

As to the revenue, it keeps steadily coming, in an unpredictable way. Fortunately, it is not my main earning source.

Keep loving the animals, they deserve it!

-- hide signature --
robert614 Senior Member • Posts: 1,346
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Excellent work as usual Jose!

regards,

Robert

nivla16
nivla16 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

great shot! I would love to do long exposures as well

Just ordered an a57 along with a variable nd filter (a really cheap one - i know it's not as good as the other branded ones, but i wanna try it out and experiment first)  and will be here by next week..

one question though.. with long exposures, can you see the final result thru the evf (wysiwyg feature)? thanks!

busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 31,905
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Exceptionally good composition with great colors! Bravo!!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

 busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
Nathanio Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: "Plot Twist" | Long Exposure Landscape | a77+10-20mm+ND filters

Stunning, absolutely perfect

 Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads