What Olympus actually promised:

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 4,588
Re: What Olympus actually promised:

They told they market they are going to make a DSLR until they decide not to.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +20 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: It is typical corpseak...but

Raist3d wrote:

erichK wrote:

For me, the appearance of the E-5, after all our doubts and hand-wringing, was a pleasant surprise. Experiencing all the small but very useful improvements that it incorporated was even more pleasant (as tends to be reflected in its retention of value.)

So, I remain optimistic.

There are really separate points in the whole theme:

- That Olympus will release a camera that will use FT lenses well - yes I think this is happening

- That the FT system is not dead- that's where I disagree. I think a new camera that uses the FT lenses well will be a backward compatibility/support issue. The FT lens system will not be further developed and manufacturing of those lenses will star to cease (if not already).

sure,the first thing you would if you are going to continue to make SLRs (which is what the document says) is stop making lenses for it

That's not to say that it isn't great that Olympus is taking care of the FT legacy owners, I think that's great.

yes Im sure you do

- The appearance of the E-5 to me was proof positive the system had gone off rails. The E-5 came at a very high asking price in a competitor's market that had moved on with lacking performance - yes the sensor.  Lack of DR, lack of good high ISO performance and worst: terrible banding.

Back then many called me crazy for pointing this obvious truth out but now that the EM-5 sensor has proven to be "such a revelation..."

crazy you say?

that reminds me of something, didnt you say a lot of things about the EM5 sensor too?
you assured this forum over a period no less than months that you were right and the EM5 sensor put out no better performance than GX1,

you said something exactly like "anyone who looks at the chart and sees the EM-5 does over 12 stops of DR from raw at ISO 1600 and believes it, needs to have their head examined"

just think of the money wasted if we listened then

there just isnt any need to try quite so hard here Ricardo
its either just assumption or idle chit chat after all...

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Rriley

Craig from Nevada wrote:

They told they market they are going to make a DSLR until they decide not to.

yes Im not almost uncertain that makes no sense to nonsense to someone somewhere

-- hide signature --

Riley

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
What Olympus actually delivers, in terms of ZD glass

The EP5, which just came out, boasts among many other features, greatly improved ZD lens autofocus. Reported to be twice as fast as the OMD, which itself was dramatically improved over previous bodies.

What the final form of the body will be, remains to be seen. However, if we look not at what the flaky rumor sites say, but at what Olympus has actually delivered in the last year to year and a half, they have made, and are continuing to make, a substantial effort to keep the HG and SHG lenses viable.

Craig from Nevada

They certainly didn't commit the company to build a DSLR forever.

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +20 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017

Rriley wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

erichK wrote:

For me, the appearance of the E-5, after all our doubts and hand-wringing, was a pleasant surprise. Experiencing all the small but very useful improvements that it incorporated was even more pleasant (as tends to be reflected in its retention of value.)

So, I remain optimistic.

- That Olympus will release a camera that will use FT lenses well - yes I think this is happening

- That the FT system is not dead- that's where I disagree. I think a new camera that uses the FT lenses well will be a backward compatibility/support issue. The FT lens system will not be further developed and manufacturing of those lenses will star to cease (if not already).

sure,the first thing you would if you are going to continue to make SLRs (which is what the document says) is stop making lenses for it

The FT lens system is certainly nor further developed. The big signal was the canning of the telephoto macro- a highly anticipated lens in the line up.  The document says one thing, let's see the follow up.  Olympus has said many things over the years.

That's not to say that it isn't great that Olympus is taking care of the FT legacy owners, I think that's great.

yes Im sure you do

There's no need to be childish- sarcastic here. I actually mean that.  I realize this may still come as a surprise to you but I don't have any particular alliance to a brand.

- The appearance of the E-5 to me was proof positive the system had gone off rails. The E-5 came at a very high asking price in a competitor's market that had moved on with lacking performance - yes the sensor.  Lack of DR, lack of good high ISO performance and worst: terrible banding.

Back then many called me crazy for pointing this obvious truth out but now that the EM-5 sensor has proven to be "such a revelation..."

crazy you say?

Yup, amongst other things.

that reminds me of something, didnt you say a lot of things about the EM5 sensor too?

Yes, I did.

you assured this forum over a period no less than months that you were right and the EM5 sensor put out no better performance than GX1,

you said something exactly like "anyone who looks at the chart and sees the EM-5 does over 12 stops of DR from raw at ISO 1600 and believes it, needs to have their head examined"

Yes, and I corrected myself.  You keep bringing this up as a negative but truth is, the mere fact I corrected myself with evidence, and fully admitted it, is not a cons but a virtue.  By all means keep bringing it up!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41251363

Of course, you don't count the many times I was right, but that's ok

I am not. There's nothing you are saying that involves trying hard

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
underwater photos:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

-- hide signature --

Riley

-- hide signature --

Rriley

Craig from Nevada wrote:

ok so you think theres what, a one week expiry?
after all, what people are attempting to sort out is Ex or not, basically

-- hide signature --

Riley

Rriley

Raist3d wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

erichK wrote:

So, I remain optimistic.

The FT lens system is certainly nor further developed. The big signal was the canning of the telephoto macro- a highly anticipated lens in the line up.  The document says one thing, let's see the follow up.  Olympus has said many things over the years.

yes Im sure you do

There's no need to be childish- sarcastic here. I actually mean that.  I realize this may still come as a surprise to you but I don't have any particular alliance to a brand.

I guess saying, 'yes Im sure you do', is seemingly a little redundant

crazy you say?

Yes, I did.

Yes, and I corrected myself.  You keep bringing this up as a negative but truth is, the mere fact I corrected myself with evidence, and fully admitted it, is not a cons but a virtue.  By all means keep bringing it up!

how long would it be since I mentioned it, kind of awhile I would have thought

might have missed that, being in another forum and all
I notice I didnt bring it up in that particular thread, just this

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41253394

Of course, you don't count the many times I was wright, but that's ok

of course its ok

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017

Rriley wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

erichK wrote:

So, I remain optimistic.

yes Im sure you do

I guess saying, 'yes Im sure you do', is seemingly a little redundant

It sure is, but that's not why you are saying it. Which is why I pointed out what I pointed out

crazy you say?

Yes, I did.

how long would it be since I mentioned it, kind of awhile I would have thought

might have missed that, being in another forum and all

No you didn't. It's not the first time I link you to it.

I notice I didnt bring it up in that particular thread, just this

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41253394

You did bring it now, and you have brought it up before.

Of course, you don't count the many times I was right, but that's ok

of course its ok

Yes, to you it sure is

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

-- hide signature --

Craig from Nevada

Rriley wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

ok so you think theres what, a one week expiry?
after all, what people are attempting to sort out is Ex or not, basically

The board can overturn this statement anytime it wishes.

pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Anyone else did?

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I am sorry, is that supposed to be a some kind of beef with them? Please show a statement from any other camera manufacturer stating "We hereby assure you that we are going to offer DSLR forever and ever, as long as Earth is tracing its orbit around Sun."

Come on, there should be some sane limit on what demands are made to Olympus, or any other brand for that matter.

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 7,257
Re: I want to believe them.

Craig from Nevada wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

What am I missing?

Nothing.

Olympus has a problem.  That problem is that they need better lenses for their mircro line.

And  DPR has a forum for discussion of m4/3 issues

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +13 more
Craig from Nevada

neil1c2000 wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

illy wrote:

erichK wrote:

it can be interpreted a number of ways, basically DSLR's will be available in the future from Olympus.........anyone have an idea what it will be?

It can be interpreted as damage control.

Why would they bother to control damage if they didn't intend to continue selling dslr's.

I am not sure they had made up their minds at this point in time.  Remember this statement and the rumors occurred immediately after the updated forecasts.  The forecasts which showed far more red ink than had been projected at the beginning of they year. It is reasonable to assume that management was sent back to stop the bleeding.  I suspect that discussion in the case included everything, including ending the production of DSLR. You don't let rumors drive your business decisions

Re: I want to believe them.

rovingtim wrote:

The problem is their actions are not in line with their words.

They used to have several lines of DSLR's. Now they only have one. In that one remaining line they have only one camera. That one camera is based on a 2007 design.

There have been no new lenses for how long? No new accessories. Stores are no longer stocking Olympus DSLR's or DSLR lenses or DSLR accessories indicating that Olympus is no longer supporting DSLR distribution in the way they used to.

I interpret this as a "drastic reduction or withdrawal from DSLR cameras."

What am I missing?

you are missing the point that this thread was started on a positive note as an alternate to the "end of the road  E-system thread", and you could not resist bringing it down into the gloom

Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +13 more
Craig from Nevada
Re: Anyone else did?

pris wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I am sorry, is that supposed to be a some kind of beef with them? Please show a statement from any other camera manufacturer stating "We hereby assure you that we are going to offer DSLR forever and ever, as long as Earth is tracing its orbit around Sun."

Come on, there should be some sane limit on what demands are made to Olympus, or any other brand for that matter.

I have no beef.  I merely stated that they would build a DSLR until they decided not to.  That is exactly the same deal everyone else has.

Erich

I didn't take long for the gloom squad to take over your thread.

Peter

Craig from Nevada

pris wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

No it is not meant to be some sort of beef with them.  Don't put words in my mouth

illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

Stacey_K wrote:

illy wrote:

it can be interpreted a number of ways, basically DSLR's will be available in the future from Olympus.........anyone have an idea what it will be?

It does state "Without any changes"...

it's pretty vague but seems to cover any decision and any eventuality concerning 4/3rds Dslr's

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more

Craig from Nevada wrote:

pris wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

No it is not meant to be some sort of beef with them.  Don't put words in my mouth

Trying not to, but can't help but ask, what was the point of that remark then? Tracking the exchange, it's difficult to see it in any other way than another jab. If it's not, please be a bit more clear.

Messier Object wrote:

Erich

I didn't take long for the gloom squad to take over your thread.

Peter

It's as if the closer we are to E-5 successor release, the more insecure they feel. Intensity of the negativity increases exponentially as the date draws closer. What could possibly be so frightening about it for the doom-and-gloom brigade? Those of them who still have some 4/3 lenses may benefit from it, directly or indirectly. Those who don't could have kept themselves occupied with something better than spreading their negative attitude here. Amazing, really.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads