What Olympus actually promised:

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511
What Olympus actually promised:

Exactly 3 months and 13 days ago.  Some may want to call them liars, others may prefer the opinions of local reps or people they know "at Olympus".

It is also notable that Watanabe and other official top people actually took considerable pains to assure the press and public - and likely most of all their customers - not only that the OM-D was not the professional camera that they not only knew was needed, but that they recognized that it, and Olympus bodies to date needed major improvements in AF and especially CAF.  And that the new "professional" camera that they were developing would have to have these.

Also, in these statements any commitment to this new camera either having a conventional OVF or and EVF or even some hybrid was very carefully, even pointedly, avoided.

In this era of corporate doublespeak, I still consider these statements a remarkable attempt to be as candid as possible.

They promised us to do their best to provide a new, top level camera, with significantly improved AF and CAF and an excellent viewfinder.  The sensor and image processing engine go without saying.

The conventional DSLR E3/5 body may or may not have been abandoned in the process (I like many others, hope that they went back to the E-1!), but I do think that something is in the works.

And I'm veeeeeery tired of the title of the other thread!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,810
Re: What Olympus actually promised:

It is taking them an exasperating long time to get this thing off the ground...from our point of view.  However, I remain guardedly optimistic that they will produce the camera we've been wanting.  As you point out here quite effectively, they went out on a limb and promised.  They almost HAVE to produce now.  I still think they will.  I just hope I live long enough to enjoy one of them.  They indicate that they will produce a true DSLR.

I've reached the point where I don't really care WHAT it is as long as it will properly focus my E lenses.

I think I'll go have a drink to that.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +10 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,429
Re: What Olympus actually promised: Thanks for Posting

I would not worry too much about the other thread and its' spawn child.  At some point it will implode under its' own weight of I am not sure what.  In the meantime, with a bunch of lenses and camera bodies, I will enjoy the balance of the holiday weekend (Memorial Day here in the United States) out with the ancient going on three (E-5) to ten (E-1) year old equipment. 

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
OP erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511

Bobby J wrote:

It is taking them an exasperating long time to get this thing off the ground...from our point of view.  However, I remain guardedly optimistic that they will produce the camera we've been wanting.  As you point out here quite effectively, they went out on a limb and promised.  They almost HAVE to produce now.  I still think they will.  I just hope I live long enough to enjoy one of them.  They indicate that they will produce a true DSLR.

I've reached the point where I don't really care WHAT it is as long as it will properly focus my E lenses.

I think I'll go have a drink to that.

Had written a longer reply - second one today that DPR's buggy software has eaten.  Essence was that while W. and the other one or two top level statements were careful not to commit to a DSLR, it does seem that the near-magic hybrid and on-sensor dual-focus technologies haven't really worked out.

And that I'm having one with you!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
underwater photos:

Re: What Olympus actually promised: Thanks for Posting

Roger Engelken wrote:

I would not worry too much about the other thread and its' spawn child.  At some point it will implode under its' own weight of I am not sure what.  In the meantime, with a bunch of lenses and camera bodies, I will enjoy the balance of the holiday weekend (Memorial Day here in the United States) out with the ancient going on three (E-5) to ten (E-1) year old equipment. 

You mean that they still work ;-).  Isn't it amazing that some of the greatest photographs of all time were taken with equipment vastly more primitive than even the ancient E-1!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,347
Erich this statement has already been pulled apart in this thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50860316

My take on this statement at the time was:

I interpret " the company will continue to offer digital single-lens reflex cameras as in the past without any changes" to mean they will continue their DSLR business division without change. That is the DSLR division will remain a distinct part of their business.

Others may read it differently but I remain optimistic Olympus will produce an innovative DSLR body within the next 12 months.

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
John Byrne Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Re: Not far away.

Just like Christmas the big reveal is not far away. Whatever happened to the oft quoted saying that,  "good things come to those who wait".

Oly's top tier management would be extremely aware of maket trends and their responsiblity to deliver something special to regain confidence and consumer appeal. I'm prepared to say they will answer the challenge.

We'll all know soon enough, that's for sure, so in the meantime I'll continue with my array of oly gear and have fun using it.

Cheers,

John.

rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,644
I want to believe them.

The problem is their actions are not in line with their words.

They used to have several lines of DSLR's. Now they only have one. In that one remaining line they have only one camera. That one camera is based on a 2007 design.

There have been no new lenses for how long? No new accessories. Stores are no longer stocking Olympus DSLR's or DSLR lenses or DSLR accessories indicating that Olympus is no longer supporting DSLR distribution in the way they used to.

I interpret this as a "drastic reduction or withdrawal from DSLR cameras."

What am I missing?

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: I want to believe them.

rovingtim wrote:

What am I missing?

Nothing.

Olympus has a problem.  That problem is that they need better lenses for their mircro line.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +23 more
illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

erichK wrote:

Exactly 3 months and 13 days ago.  Some may want to call them liars, others may prefer the opinions of local reps or people they know "at Olympus".

It is also notable that Watanabe and other official top people actually took considerable pains to assure the press and public - and likely most of all their customers - not only that the OM-D was not the professional camera that they not only knew was needed, but that they recognized that it, and Olympus bodies to date needed major improvements in AF and especially CAF.  And that the new "professional" camera that they were developing would have to have these.

Also, in these statements any commitment to this new camera either having a conventional OVF or and EVF or even some hybrid was very carefully, even pointedly, avoided.

In this era of corporate doublespeak, I still consider these statements a remarkable attempt to be as candid as possible.

They promised us to do their best to provide a new, top level camera, with significantly improved AF and CAF and an excellent viewfinder.  The sensor and image processing engine go without saying.

The conventional DSLR E3/5 body may or may not have been abandoned in the process (I like many others, hope that they went back to the E-1!), but I do think that something is in the works.

And I'm veeeeeery tired of the title of the other thread!

it can be interpreted a number of ways, basically DSLR's will be available in the future from Olympus.........anyone have an idea what it will be?

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230

illy wrote:

erichK wrote:

it can be interpreted a number of ways, basically DSLR's will be available in the future from Olympus.........anyone have an idea what it will be?

It can be interpreted as damage control.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +23 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

Craig from Nevada wrote:

illy wrote:

erichK wrote:

not with 7733 on it, that would be a bustable attempt to deceive the market

the safest assumption is to take it for what it is

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Mr.NoFlash Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Sounds good but could be also "no new camara"

"without any changes" could also be interpreted: The E-5 and the set of the zuiko lenses will not be changed and is offered for a very long time.

But perhaps could also mean they make a new camera. Hmm.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-M1

rovingtim wrote:

The problem is their actions are not in line with their words.

They used to have several lines of DSLR's. Now they only have one. In that one remaining line they have only one camera. That one camera is based on a 2007 design.

There have been no new lenses for how long? No new accessories. Stores are no longer stocking Olympus DSLR's or DSLR lenses or DSLR accessories indicating that Olympus is no longer supporting DSLR distribution in the way they used to.

I interpret this as a "drastic reduction or withdrawal from DSLR cameras."

What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that stores are carrying an -often small but - significant stock of high-value Olympus cameras and lenses.  That means that the channels and infrastructure are still there - or have in many cases been re-established - to distribute any new FT product.

IMHO it is a mistake to see Olympus mFT as in competition, even opposition to FT development, and important to remember that they use essentially the same sensor and that mFT can very effectively use the same glass.  To me, the often complained about "failure" of Olympus to make more mFT longer lenses and zooms makes perfect sense, because there are already excellent FT models, and because there would be little size and weight advantage to redesigning these as mFT lenses.

I do appreciate W's apparent candor in the great pains that he took - even to the extent of likely royally p'ong off marketing by underlining AF, CAF and durability issues - in stating that the OM-D was not the "pro" slr they are working on, and affirming that this had to work better with their lense line.

If he could not be sure whether the new model would be a conventional OVF slr then this, too tends to indicate that they were being as careful as possible to not raise false hopes. But the promise of the best possible new body to finally provide well working AF/CAF and a professional level VF  with their already considerable system of FT lenses remains there.

I've found that many of my FT's lenses work pretty well on my OM-D (even if, in such cases as the 7-14  and 150f2 they look pretty funny!), and actually often use it alongside my E-5, so I think that I can hold on for another few months.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

Re: It is typical corpseak...but

The total thrust of what W's and the other top people have said has been quite explicit.  The big problem for them, apparently along with virtually all DSLR makers, is to find a way to at least reduce  the financial bleeding enough to pool the resources to complete and launch a new camera.

I suspect that the pretty positive response to the OM-D and its PL and PM brethren, and now the E-Pen 5, as well as the fixed lenses will help them to do that,

(BTW, did some of you happen to notice the great joy they apparently took in the 45f1.8's apparent success.  Seems to indicate that they are being much more vigilant and careful in their planning and marketing than they ever were before.)

For me, the appearance of the E-5, after all our doubts and hand-wringing, was a pleasant surprise. Experiencing all the small but very useful improvements that it incorporated was even more pleasant (as tends to be reflected in its retention of value.)

So, I remain optimistic.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Can you finally come clean

... and instead of accusations scattered all over the place and endless stream of negativity, tell the forum what it is you suspect Olympus is going to do to confirm your suspicions and disbelief?

1. Not release any E-5 successor at all?

Yeah, it would be horrendous and deeply disappointing. Do you really believe this is what may actually happen?

2. Release E-5 successor in other form than DSLR?

As was said many times, who cares, as long as it introduces new sensor, new IBIS, great tech goodies available with new technologies, handles 4/3 lenses as well or better than E-5? If anything, it would be quite exciting development. And if it's a hybrid marrying both lineups, what could possibly be wrong with that?

3. Release something that you personally won't like?

Considering that what you wanted was a n E-400-sized pro body, it's quite possible. The only thing it would have indicated would be that your dream is unrealistic, or considered a marginal one. Absence of such camera in any other system is a clear indication of that.

Something else?

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,926

rovingtim wrote:

Stores are no longer stocking Olympus DSLR's or DSLR lenses

This is what I have seen. AFAIK no camera store in the Atlanta area has any 4/3 products in stock. I wouldn't call Atlanta a small market for photography gear, Sure the big NY mail order places still have them, for that matter B&H still has twin lens medium format Rolleiflex's in stock (1930's design film camera) so pointing out a store or two that still stocks 4/3 isn't a sign of anything.

Olympus has let the 4/3 system disappear from the marketplace. I'd be shocked if their current dSLR sales exceeded o.1% of the market share. To bring it back at this point would be resurrecting the lens mount from the dead. At best we can hope for a camera with "legacy" support of older 4/3 mount lenses. I honestly can't see them making a camera with a "4/3 only" mount like an E7 would be.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,926

illy wrote:

It does state "Without any changes"...

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,565
Re: It is typical corpseak...but

erichK wrote:

For me, the appearance of the E-5, after all our doubts and hand-wringing, was a pleasant surprise. Experiencing all the small but very useful improvements that it incorporated was even more pleasant (as tends to be reflected in its retention of value.)

So, I remain optimistic.

There are really separate points in the whole theme:

- That Olympus will release a camera that will use FT lenses well - yes I think this is happening

- That the FT system is not dead- that's where I disagree. I think a new camera that uses the FT lenses well will be a backward compatibility/support issue. The FT lens system will not be further developed and manufacturing of those lenses will star to cease (if not already).

That's not to say that it isn't great that Olympus is taking care of the FT legacy owners, I think that's great.

- The appearance of the E-5 to me was proof positive the system had gone off rails. The E-5 came at a very high asking price in a competitor's market that had moved on with lacking performance - yes the sensor.  Lack of DR, lack of good high ISO performance and worst: terrible banding.

Back then many called me crazy for pointing this obvious truth out but now that the EM-5 sensor has proven to be "such a revelation..."

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

neil1c2000 Regular Member • Posts: 198

Craig from Nevada wrote:

illy wrote:

erichK wrote:

Why would they bother to control damage if they didn't intend to continue selling dslr's.

-- hide signature --

Neil C

neil1c2000's gear list:neil1c2000's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads