Bought the cannon 6d.. lots of questions for you

Started May 25, 2013 | Discussions
Nano princess
Nano princess Regular Member • Posts: 288
Bought the cannon 6d.. lots of questions for you

These were all taken with my sony....I shoot in manual with this as I see the changes I am making right through viewfinder.  Started a little photography business. Never even took photos or  anything about editing until a few months ago.  Still tons to learn but it didn't stop me from giving myself a name and instead of free I charge a little something something for my time. Because I was free and it was just becoming too much for me.  Still feel guilty even charging because I have no schooling. Just self taught in the past few months.

Tons of people began requesting me to take their photos.  I was so blessed.  But something is missing.. want and  Need a full frame. Soooooooooooo

Did it.. not sure I should of.  I am coming from the sony slt a57.  Does the cannon 6d have these features and I cant figure it out or what?

Peaking when I am manually focusing. So I can see whats coming into focus? my eyesight isn't the greatest

Cant see the changes in the viewfinder as I am changing settings.  When I use my sony slt a57 while changing settings..... it changes what I see through the viewfinder.  I love this.  Because I need this.. LOL

Is their a place or special video to watch on setting up this camera.  I cant find the dag on how to change around the focus points as well which is the button for just changing exposure.  LOL

If I place on program I want to control iso and just the exposure.  Maybe I am so use to my sony, change is difficult for me.  LOL

Thank you,

Carol

Canon EOS 6D Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William DIllard Senior Member • Posts: 2,492
Re: Bought the cannon 6d.. lots of questions for you

Nano princess wrote:

These were all taken with my sony....I shoot in manual with this as I see the changes I am making right through viewfinder.  Started a little photography business. Never even took photos or  anything about editing until a few months ago.  Still tons to learn but it didn't stop me from giving myself a name and instead of free I charge a little something something for my time. Because I was free and it was just becoming too much for me.  Still feel guilty even charging because I have no schooling. Just self taught in the past few months.

Tons of people began requesting me to take their photos.  I was so blessed.  But something is missing.. want and  Need a full frame. Soooooooooooo

Did it.. not sure I should of.  I am coming from the sony slt a57.  Does the cannon 6d have these features and I cant figure it out or what?

Peaking when I am manually focusing. So I can see whats coming into focus? my eyesight isn't the greatest

Cant see the changes in the viewfinder as I am changing settings.  When I use my sony slt a57 while changing settings..... it changes what I see through the viewfinder.  I love this.  Because I need this.. LOL

Is their a place or special video to watch on setting up this camera.  I cant find the dag on how to change around the focus points as well which is the button for just changing exposure.  LOL

If I place on program I want to control iso and just the exposure.  Maybe I am so use to my sony, change is difficult for me.  LOL

Thank you,

Carol

I have the 6D but I have not had it long so I will advise with my limited experience. 6 months from now I'm sure I will have more or different things to say. First the6D is sensitive to highlights so set your lighting optimizer to it's highest setting. It is better I think than highlight priority and you can not use both. Shoot in either AV mode or manual mode. Manual flash and manual camera operations are best naturally but AV is fast and very very good. And you can control the exposure to your liking in AV mode rather simply by going to the menu and adjusting the flash if it is too bright or not bright enough. Must mention though brightness issues are generally too high or too low of an ISO setting. But sometimes you want to manipulate the ambience of a scene and the menu will do that for you. Also, flash exposure is not the same as ambient light exposure. And you can use the menu to adjust the ambient exposure. In fact you can do both at the same time. Also you must have a flash that is compatable such as 600EX or the smaller one I think it is the 420 EX ll. Not worth getting the 580II if you can get one of the others.
I was practicing this morning while in the AV mode, darkening the ambient exposure and darkening the flash exposure just to give just enough light to an object. It's neat ! Most pro's do thoes things in Manual mode but though I will practice that I find it much simpler to do in AV mode because I don't have to concern myself with the problem of how much power on the flash I need ! And I don't yet have a flash meter.

I think you need to use autofocus !

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Contributing Member • Posts: 859

Hi Carol, nice photos.

For Electronic Viewfinder simulated exposure: obviously this is not available in Optical Viewfinder on any DSLR.  You can:  (1) Use the traditional camera's metering, which shows up as a +/- EV meter.  (2)  Take a photo and look at the result.  (3) On the other hand, you can use LiveView on LCD, and 6D has exposure simulation mode that works like Sony's EVF.

Focus peaking.  Not available. You can zoom 10x in LiveView on LCD and get close-up of the image for manual focus.

6D focus system is pretty simple.  It has only 2 modes for focus point selection: auto and manual selection.  You use the thumb to press upper right most button on the back of camera (labeled as grid of squares).  Then either turn the main or quick control dial, or use the multi-directional button, to select the AF point to be used.  If you go outside of the 11 points, then it becomes Auto AF sel mode.

Main dial is the one on top, to be used with your forefinger.  Quick Control Dial (QCD) is on the back to be used with thumb.  In Manual mode, Main and QCD controls aperture and shutter; you can customize which does what.  In Tv mode, main controls shutter.  In Av mode, main controls aperture.  Note that you can customize the SET button + Main dial to change the ISO.

I was a Nikon user and I haven't used Sony.  I cannot imagine Sony being that different.  10 minutes reading the manual will answer your questions.

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
First step, learn to spell Canon

Trying to learn a new camera all at once doesn't work for me. So I'll sit down with the manual and the camera and learn one feature at a time over a period of a couple of weeks. Since all the details are more or less connected there's a logical thread I end up following.

Your photos are wonderful but I think the logo is cheezy. I'd leave it out.

-- hide signature --

'He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond
the pale of any acceptable human conduct.'
- Apocalypse Now

sdribetahi Contributing Member • Posts: 819

Typically one asks these questions before they buy, but hey, what the heck.

Nano princess
OP Nano princess Regular Member • Posts: 288

One thing I would like to say is a huge thank you to those trying to help me. Two..dont be hater the world has enough of those. Three I learn better when people break it down for me. Four. Logo is on photos because those are clients photos. Five I shoot for now only using only natural lighting this is why I wanted full frame. Big hugs

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,346

Hi Carol, welcome!

Can't give you much help with the 6D as I don't own one. I don't think any Canon DSLR has focus peaking, no. As for the rest, I hope some users can chime in.

Meanwhile. here are some resources about the 6D:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canon+6d+tutorial&oq=canon+6D&gs_l=youtube.1.8.0l10.5450.8019.0.11074.8.6.0.2.2.0.72.400.6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.56yW0s2zrOU

You have the eye and imagination for this. Don't let the lack of formal training embarrass you for charging for your work. As it stand on its own, the pay is deserved.

That first photo is brilliant, both for the poses and the framing. If anything, I would advise to go easier on the "Burn" tool. The shirts are clearly white and they ended up gray with the whole photo lacking some contrast punch.

Keep showing your work from the 6D. Unfortunately, there are not that many women posting here and I have a feeling it is our loss.

All the best.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

A lot of your pictures look over-sharpened or over-processed, but maybe that is the look you are trying to achieve.

Canon's are some of the few DSLRs with focus peaking with magic lantern, but you can not have an EVF combined with an OVF in any meaningful way with DSLRs.  Its a fundamental technology difference with pros and cons...many of the pros you are missing are unique to DSLTs + EVFs.  Some people prefer OVFs...

I myself prefer OVFs...in a way it allows me to experience a live event as I capture it since I'm viewing TTL a live event or moment, etc.  EVFs clearly make me feel like I'm just viewing a live video feed no matter if the lag is reduced, its still very palpable.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

If you are willing to install third party firmware (Magic Lantern), you can focus peak to your hearts content.  However, that is a pretty advanced step, and you seem to be struggling with basics...

Contrast detect auto focus in live view iis pretty much bullet-proof.  I find this works better for me than even manual focus using 10X magnification in live view.

Search Canon's web site, and youtube for tutorial videos for your camera, there are a ton of them.  And, of course, read the manual - several times.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,551

Nano princess wrote:

One thing I would like to say is a huge thank you to those trying to help me. Two..dont be hater the world has enough of those. Three I learn better when people break it down for me. Four. Logo is on photos because those are clients photos. Five I shoot for now only using only natural lighting this is why I wanted full frame. Big hugs

Please don't automatically call people who disagree with you or correct you "haters". That just comes across as self-righteous, especially when you did repeatedly misspell "Canon" and the poster that corrected you went on to give some very good advise. Specifically, you do need to learn to read your equipment manuals rather than depending on others to "break it down" for you. This technology is extremely sophisticated and you won't want any surprises when you're on location at a paying job, you encounter a problem, and you can't work out the solution with your gear because there's no one to break it down for you.

As far as focusing goes, have you considered replacing your stock screen with a precision type focus screen?

Here's a video that explains everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNwOr3g9gzA

And here's the link for purchasing one:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Eg-S-Precision-Focusing-5D-Mark/dp/B001KBZ3S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369518998&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+eg+s+focus+screen+6d

There was also advise given about Magic Lantern for the 6D. It does offer focus peaking.

If these options don't work for you, a DSLR such as the 6D may not be the right tool for you.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Johnyguy Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: First step, learn to spell Canon

jedinstvo wrote:

Trying to learn a new camera all at once doesn't work for me. So I'll sit down with the manual and the camera and learn one feature at a time over a period of a couple of weeks. Since all the details are more or less connected there's a logical thread I end up following.

Your photos are wonderful but I think the logo is cheezy. I'd leave it out.

-- hide signature --

'He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond
the pale of any acceptable human conduct.'
- Apocalypse Now

I love the photos too but the logo is too big.

Nano princess

Constructive critism is awesome. But some are just haters. I see it here all the time. Why buy first. You should have researchd first etc. We all have our opinionsn. No doubt through replies its easy to see who helps and who just doesnt really care unless they feel your on their level. Etc. Hint why my first reply was to thank those who choose to help rather its through constructive cristism or not. Love that. But I doubt I really need to explain further on here. Second. I cant spell worth shait and dont really care what one thinks about that. I also type way to fast on a keyboard my thumb is way to big for. Lol. I love all the help. Yes I edit crazy loud sometimes. Cause Iam learning. I charge almost nothing for what I do and my client buy. Some of you are right this camera may be too much for me. Guess I will leave cannon and head to Sony a99. Just thought cannon might have been good for me. Thanks anyways all. Will pray over what I should do and then go from there.
Hugs

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,551

You might need to learn what "hate" really means if you are determined to bunch in someone who advises that research BEFORE a purchase is wiser than afterwards with that group. And if you're going to appeal to others in a public forum for help rather than reading the manual, it's a good sign of respect to take the time to check your spelling, use good grammar, and avoid confusing, run-on sentences.

Best of luck no matter what you do.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Nano princess

You might need to learn what "hate" really means if you are determined to bunch in someone who advises that research BEFORE a purchase is wiser than afterwards with that group. And if you're going to appeal to others in a public forum for help rather than reading the manual, it's a good sign of respect to take the time to check your spelling, use good grammar, and avoid confusing, run-on sentences.

Best of luck no matter what you do.

Cant let it go can you Micheal? Lmao
Good grief. Chill people. God bless you

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

Nano princess wrote:

Constructive critism is awesome. But some are just haters. I see it here all the time. Why buy first. You should have researchd first etc. We all have our opinionsn. No doubt through replies its easy to see who helps and who just doesnt really care unless they feel your on their level. Etc. Hint why my first reply was to thank those who choose to help rather its through constructive cristism or not. Love that. But I doubt I really need to explain further on here. Second. I cant spell worth shait and dont really care what one thinks about that. I also type way to fast on a keyboard my thumb is way to big for. Lol. I love all the help. Yes I edit crazy loud sometimes. Cause Iam learning. I charge almost nothing for what I do and my client buy. Some of you are right this camera may be too much for me. Guess I will leave cannon and head to Sony a99. Just thought cannon might have been good for me. Thanks anyways all. Will pray over what I should do and then go from there.
Hugs

Call me a hater if you want, but you seem like a person who created a fake account and you're having a bit of fun.

I came from Sony to the 6D. For the stuff you want, you'd be much, MUCH better off with a Sony A99. I wanted to go that route as well and get the articulating screen, etc., but I didn't want to lose a little bit of light, which is why I wanted FF . . . so the 6D for me. I am getting used to it. I may try Magic Lantern for focus peaking because once you've used focus peaking on a Sony, it's very hard to go back to using a camera without it. That's been the hardest adjustment for me (that and not having a touch screen to choose where I want to focus on the fly). It does seem weird to pay more money to lose features, but some of the features you want are just better on the Sony. The Live View on the 6D feels generations behind and I no longer use it. However, the center focusing point (which is all I use) is a class leader in low light. But I did this research before I purchased and that's about what any person with common sense tends to do. So yeah, I suspect I am a bit of a hater in your book, but you don't seem real to me either.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Jason Rickerby Contributing Member • Posts: 712
It doesn't sound like the Canon 6D is the camera for you...

Hi Carol,

Out of curiosity, what made you purchase a Full Frame Canon camera instead of a Sony? It sounds like you really like the features of your Sony a57, specifically the Electronic Viewfinder. What motivated you to purchase the Canon 6D that does not have an electronic viewfinder? Don't you have an investment in Sony lens and accessories?

Nano princess wrote:

These were all taken with my sony....I shoot in manual with this as I see the changes I am making right through viewfinder.

Short answer, no. Long answer - Magic Lantern. The majority of the time Canon users aren't manual focusing. When looking through the optical viewfinder, the vast majority of us are selecting an autofocus point. Modern autofocus is accurate. For precise manual focus, zooming the live view display on the rear screen is the way to go.

Within the optical viewfinder, the line on the bottom indicates ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. What's missing? These update as you change a setting. You can press the "Q" button on the rear of the camera to have a nice overview of current setting on the rear screen.

Again, it sounds like you want an electronic viewfinder, but this is not a feature of any of the Canon DSLRs.

With the Canon 6D you can use an Android or iOS device with the 6D wireless feature to have an electronic view with settings overlaying the image.

You can use the "Depth of Field" preview button on the front of the camera to see the impact of you aperture selection.

If you Google "Canon 6D tutorial youtube" there's lots to look at.

Here's the Canon tutorials for the 6D model:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_6d_tutorials.shtml

There's the ISO button on the top of the camera?

Thank you,

Carol

Jason Rickerby's gear list:Jason Rickerby's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
amas2
amas2 Junior Member • Posts: 49

don´t feed the troll ...

biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,784

Just a few thoughts:

1. People normally do some research before buying stuff, be it cameras, cars, toasters, or microwaves.

2. People normally have at least a few solid reasons to buy new gear.

3. People normally invest some effort and time in learning the new gear, reading the instruction manual, getting to know it, searching about the gear if they have doubts, etc. Canon have numerous videos on their various websites about their cameras.

So coming to this forum with a laid back attitude, "I bought the camera but I can not be bothered to learn it" attitide, it doesn't cut it. It speaks of being lazy and inconsequent.

I am sorry if I am wrong in my perception.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 50 +1 more
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,859

You have received a lot of useful suggestions.  Let me just offer a couple more.

The only time I use manual focusing is when I shoot landscapes and my camera is on a tripod or macros and my camera is on a tripod.  The Canon focusing system is really good.  Besides when photographing children, you want to establish rapport and not worry about focusing.  I use the center spot almost exclusively and use the "focus and recompose" method.  Check out the following youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy3RVRFVmUE

http://ht.ly/dqCwd

With respect to manual exposure, I have started using it for portrait shoots, not because it is better, but because the exposure is always the same and I can tweak a whole set of pictures all at the same time in Lightroom.  Check out the follo9wing video for this and a lot of other useful stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMiYgxVTS_0

Keep up the good work and welcome to the club.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +24 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,244
stay with sony

You seem to not want to learn about SLR photography and the fundamentals of photography but instead just change some settings until you see the image look pretty on the screen, then press the button.  Sorry for my bluntness but that's what I hear in your post.  Good luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads